Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:09:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Bitcoin fork proposal by respected Bitcoin lead dev Gavin Andresen, to increase the block size from 1MB to 20MB.
pro
anti
agnostic
DGAF

Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 20MB Fork  (Read 154756 times)
danielpbarron

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Daniel P. Barron

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 04:49:52 PM

We'll see it start to do much now that the limit is actually being reached. In the process of syncing the block chain, the first three fourths of the blocks take up one third of the hard drive space; that means one fourth of all the blocks take up two thirds of the disk space. Thanks to the limit, these ratios will begin to even out.

You forget to say once the limit is reached, Bitcoin popularity (crypto market share) will start to decline pretty fast. Basically only limited transactions can be included in the block, if more transactions are required by users, some have never to be included. Basically it will be easier to use different coin than feeling the hours/days/never confirmed transactions pain with 1MB Bitcoin Sad

Popularity among who? Maybe the redditarded change tipping hammer lickers won't be interested anymore, but I don't see the future market makers of the world shying away just because they have to start paying a fee to use censor-proof inflation-proof perfectly fungible money.

If it's "easier to use different coin" then go do that; we won't miss you. Actually that's what USGavin is proposing anyway; the fork creates an altcoin.

We oppose this fork primarily because we see bitcoin as a challenge to bad money and bad governments. We don't see bitcoin as a fancier way to do the same old things. As it runs now, bitcoin is exactly what we want. As it runs now, bitcoin is sound money that governments cannot control. Yes, that means the poor will not have easy access. No, that's not a problem; nice things are not for the poor. Nice things have a cost, and poor people can't pay by the very definition of them being poor.

They don't have to all be poor though! Being a billionaire has never been so cheap as it is today! 10 bitcoin is 1 billion satoshi (the true unit of account recorded in blocks). That's like 3k USD right now.

First you say that Bitcoin is not for the poor, but then you say that it's very easy to be not poor. So, while not technically a contradiction, this leads to the conclusion that Bitcoin is for everyone (which contrasts with “Bitcoin is not for the poor”). So, which is it?

Also, saying that “Being a billionaire has never been so cheap” is just oxymoronic, unless your definition of “billionaire” doesn't actually involve being rich. If it's so, then being a billionaire isn't actually impressive or something that people would want or desire.

There is an apparently contradictory statement in my post, but that wasn't even it. As everyone tries to buy their billion satoshi, the price will rise and it will become difficult. So it is not for everyone, and it is not a contradiction.

Marriage is a permanent bond (or should be) between a man and a woman. Scripture reveals a man has the freedom to have this marriage bond with more than one woman, if he so desires. But, anything beyond this is a perversion. -- Darwin Fish
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adworker

Activity: 190

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 05:14:55 PM

We'll see it start to do much now that the limit is actually being reached. In the process of syncing the block chain, the first three fourths of the blocks take up one third of the hard drive space; that means one fourth of all the blocks take up two thirds of the disk space. Thanks to the limit, these ratios will begin to even out.

You forget to say once the limit is reached, Bitcoin popularity (crypto market share) will start to decline pretty fast. Basically only limited transactions can be included in the block, if more transactions are required by users, some have never to be included. Basically it will be easier to use different coin than feeling the hours/days/never confirmed transactions pain with 1MB Bitcoin Sad

Popularity among who? Maybe the redditarded change tipping hammer lickers won't be interested anymore, but I don't see the future market makers of the world shying away just because they have to start paying a fee to use censor-proof inflation-proof perfectly fungible money.

If it's "easier to use different coin" then go do that; we won't miss you. Actually that's what USGavin is proposing anyway; the fork creates an altcoin.

No, im pretty sure the 20 MB (or whatever) limit will be active when at least 95% of miners agree. And such hard fork happened already and we still call it Bitcoin not alt coin.

If your really serious about Bitcoin being most popular crypto in future as well, please update to average computer/internet and you will be able to use full node after the planned Bitcoin limit improvement as usual.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 05:23:46 PM

It's not just storage; there is bandwidth, cpu, and RAM to take into consideration.

We oppose this fork primarily because we see bitcoin as a challenge to bad money and bad governments. We don't see bitcoin as a fancier way to do the same old things. As it runs now, bitcoin is exactly what we want. As it runs now, bitcoin is sound money that governments cannot control. Yes, that means the poor will not have easy access. No, that's not a problem; nice things are not for the poor. Nice things have a cost, and poor people can't pay by the very definition of them being poor.

They don't have to all be poor though! Being a billionaire has never been so cheap as it is today! 10 bitcoin is 1 billion satoshi (the true unit of account recorded in blocks). That's like 3k USD right now.
No, I'm not wrong. Mainly because anything that comes from M.P. should be considered invalid.
@Bold: Who in the name of all that is, told you that what you guys want matters? What made you think that you can decide?

I'd rather trust Gavin than someone who sees bitcoin, as another system for a elite group.
Before anyone else screams it, the issue seems to be bandwidth, not storage. I still think you can easily acquire more bandwidth, though.
Although that is true, one can't really expect people that haven't updated their systems in ages (or have very bad internet) to use Bitcoin. Their systems probably have many flaws, it would not be smart to run Bitcoin, security- wise.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hdbuck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 05:34:56 PM

Gavin is giving away bitcoin to the same elite group that fucked up the financial system. Duuh
danielpbarron

Daniel P. Barron

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 05:40:15 PM

No, im pretty sure the 20 MB (or whatever) limit will be active when at least 95% of miners agree. And such hard fork happened already and we still call it Bitcoin not alt coin.

If your really serious about Bitcoin being most popular crypto in future as well, please update to average computer/internet and you will be able to use full node after the planned Bitcoin limit improvement as usual.

No I will not update, and screw you for suggesting the problem is with me.

Quote from: #bitcoin-assets
mircea_popescu: asciilifeform you know, people have been trained to believe in this "upgrade and everything's gonna be better" mantra.
mircea_popescu: worst fucking idea ever. but it's so much like "progress", and "what the consumers should come to expect"
asciilifeform: mircea_popescu: it's the direct effect of shitgnomism where 'the doctor healed the patient's ear, but did poke out an eye, i fear'

The current version is called bitcoin not because "the miners" decided. It costs nothing to put a "version 4" label on your blocks; it costs quite a bit to find out nobody will buy your fake scam coins that you mistakenly think are the real thing.

And the thing you are referring to wasn't a hard fork; it was a "soft fork." The difference being that the rules became more strict rather than less strict. Not that I'm saying it's acceptable to adopt a soft fork proposed by UnSavory Garnish.

No, I'm not wrong. Mainly because anything that comes from M.P. should be considered invalid.
@Bold: Who in the name of all that is, told you that what you guys want matters? What made you think that you can decide?

I'd rather trust Gavin than someone who sees bitcoin, as another system for a elite group.
Before anyone else screams it, the issue seems to be bandwidth, not storage. I still think you can easily acquire more bandwidth, though.
Although that is true, one can't really expect people that haven't updated systems in years (or very bad internet) to use Bitcoin. Their systems probably have many flaws, it would not be smart to run Bitcoin, security- wise.

There's that call to upgrade again! See my comments above.

What makes us think we can decide? I could ask you the same thing. You seem to think that talking about bitcoin makes you a part of it. I think that I'm a part of bitcoin because I'm in the WoT.

Quote from: Pete Dushenski
Who? Anyone who sees the value in building trusted online relationships and is willing to put in the effort to grow said relationships. WoT has uses within and without Bitcoin, though it could be argued that the reverse isn’t true.

You'd rather trust the guy who scared off satoshi by talking to the CIA? Don't hate the elites; be the elites. The window is still open.

Marriage is a permanent bond (or should be) between a man and a woman. Scripture reveals a man has the freedom to have this marriage bond with more than one woman, if he so desires. But, anything beyond this is a perversion. -- Darwin Fish
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 05:48:52 PM

You seem to think that talking about bitcoin makes you a part of it. I think that I'm a part of bitcoin because I'm in the WoT.

This only works if the WoT is considered part of bitcoin.
If not (as the comments in the thread seem to suggest) then you are just part of the WoT and it ends there.

danielpbarron

Daniel P. Barron

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 05:56:15 PM

You seem to think that talking about bitcoin makes you a part of it. I think that I'm a part of bitcoin because I'm in the WoT.

If not (as the comments in the thread seem to suggest) then you are just part of the WoT and it ends there.

That's fine. Cows don't see the value in eating steak, and derps don't see the value in building trusted online relationships. Keep on "suggesting" with "comments" and see if it'll put food on your plate.

yampi

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:00:52 PM

Because charts are undeniable sources of absolute truth.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:05:23 PM

Gavin is giving away bitcoin to the same elite group that fucked up the financial system. Duuh

The guy is a 'normal'.  He ultimately places his confidence in the inherent and relative 'goodness' of the establishment.  Part of the reason for this is that he rejects even considering alternate hypotheses which vary from mainstream conceptions of reality.  They are immediately labeled 'conspiracy theories' and thus can safely be rejected out of hand.  Gavin and most of the people who brought resources (financial, technical, etc) to the table are trained in the same way and cut from the same cloth.  Their reasons for getting involved in the first place vary, but they can be relied upon to follow certain fairly well directed paths as they navigate through the wilderness.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:07:33 PM

That's fine. Cows don't see the value in eating steak, and derps don't see the value in building trusted online relationships. Keep on "suggesting" with "comments" and see if it'll put food on your plate.

This is a strawman. I never suggested the WoT had no value.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 06:16:05 PM

Exactly. I myself don't consider it part of Bitcoin. Why would it be part of Bitcoin, it was release and written about quite some time before Bitcoin came to be.
To answer his assumption, no I do not consider myself part of Bitcoin, at all. That's just a weak attempt to insidiously attack my persona.

While WoT indeed has so much value, some people don't have time to be a part of those things. So these people aren't part of Bitcoin in any way, okay.  Roll Eyes
Gavin and most of the people who brought resources (financial, technical, etc) to the table are trained in the same way and cut from the same cloth.  Their reasons for getting involved in the first place vary, but they can be relied upon to follow certain fairly well directed paths as they navigate through the wilderness.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
adworker

Activity: 190

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:19:19 PM

Requirements to upgrade to average computer/internet to run full node is not unreasonable. What happens with Bitcoin if the 1 MB limit is in place in the comming 3-10 years is about the same as what happens in the comming 1 year when you change the limit to 0.1 MB today. Go figure...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 06:53:48 PM

In this world of 4k streaming, advocating the idea of 1MB blocksize limit is analogous to advocating 240p.

There's only five losers in this thread who would advocate such a thing and all of them are MP or part of his Scooby gang.
Very nicely said. Looking at the current demand for storage/bandwidth for just about anything, one would easily conclude that the 1MB limit is ridiculous (in terms of requirements). Even a single picture takes 3-4MB on the newest smartphones. Like previously said, this band just want Bitcoin as an elitist system that's about it.
Thinking about it, I ask myself: Who are we to exclude everyone else? Interestingly WD just announced a 10TB HDD.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
danielpbarron

Daniel P. Barron

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 09:34:48 PM

To answer his assumption, no I do not consider myself part of Bitcoin, at all. That's just a weak attempt to insidiously attack my persona.

Then why are you telling us how it should be?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:42:16 AM

In this world of 4k streaming, advocating the idea of 1MB blocksize limit is analogous to advocating 240p.
Don't give them any ideas. They may corner the market on tube TVs.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 07:51:51 AM

Then why are you telling us how it should be?
If random people like you and MP can do it, a random person like me can as well.

Don't give them any ideas. They may corner the market on tube TVs.
Honestly this wouldn't surprise me. MP as a CEO would make even Google crash.  Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:02:22 AM

Think this thread is dead.

I agree.

speak like we want 1mb Bitcoin forever

But some people arguing here do want a permanent 1 MB block.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3103

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:14:49 PM

I agree.

For purely selfish reasons.  Which they've admitted multiple times.  They have no justification other than greed, arrogance and delusions of grandeur.  It couldn't be more obvious and the vast majority will support the fork because of that.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 05:45:00 PM

Which ones?

numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 06:07:42 PM

I agree.
For purely selfish reasons.  Which they've admitted multiple times.  They have no justification other than greed, arrogance and delusions of grandeur.  It couldn't be more obvious and the vast majority will support the fork because of that.
Looking forward for a democratic decision on the matter. On my opinion, hard coded limits have no place in software, anywhere. Could you still live on 64kb ?

Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: