Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:04:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 71 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTER.com hacked| 7170 BTC stolen | DON'T KEEP YOUR MONEY ON AN EXCHANGE |  (Read 119666 times)
almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:10:23 PM

Wonder if "unaffected coins" means altcoins, or unaffected BTC funds.

If it's the former, it sounds like the exchange is shutting down. If it's the latter, it sounds like some sort of convoluted repayment scheme that will never fully complete (see: vircurex)
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:10:54 PM

OMG it has happened again,every time that bitcoin is in a good way another hack....

I am afraid that bter users are not going to recover their bitcoins

Yes One after another scammer hacking every site. I dont think these are scammer that hacking these site its their own site owner who are hacking the sites. Now i also lost my 3$ in this site  Grin. Its not the point that i only lost my 3$ but the point is How i can safe my BTC when all the site going down every day?

Well, its a matter of statistic, only leave coins on an exchange for those minutes/hours it is needed to exchange, and hope you don't get caught in the middle of a hack.
Else NEVER leave coins at exchanges for longer time.

As I told before a simple use of the multi-Sig "function" could avoid this type of situation (check greenAddress and see how it is easy to use).

What is the greenAddress and where i can get it.?

GreenAddress is the future! I'm very impressed that a lot of people aren't using it. If you want a strong security you should start to use it for "save" your coin.

Here the official thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521988.0

Are you sure we can use greenAddress as a safe wallet?

There isn't anything in this world that is sure at 100% , I think you know that. With greenAddress (GA) you can rise your level of security much more than the other webWallets.

If you want more security use an hardwallet with greenAddress and  you are more safe.
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:14:42 PM

7170 btc stolen - https://bter.com/

That is awesome

$ 1,727,970.00 Transaction for only $ 1.33 n fees Smiley wonderful

Have you seen the other secondary transactions (all with zero fee) ?

- https://blockchain.info/it/tx/e297b80d69c824d91c8d5a05b4026e38ebcd3b5502730ece078f1d51ff1d455c
- https://blockchain.info/it/tx/f15fb803578a1a6be267fadf244996c39abfe18787e3e2114d1d1cc41221b4da
- https://blockchain.info/it/tx/ac9ee9927992eb1bb0d2ef8c05c77f8ace8ada6721fba428bf9227846b650d3b
- https://blockchain.info/it/tx/c606df2c791c48ca3b610a6dd02aeb44845005ce476bc6baa6c558a36e96b260
- https://blockchain.info/it/tx/7113cfad098d9f30c3909859db8521fd24e716f05307c9dd747ce4ae52539f49
- https://blockchain.info/it/tx/69d6954d167f9fa7e14e1feab367bcd8d8aaf5f93c1747c31c26d9de7b7976c6
TheGoodGuy419

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:16:47 PM

wow!  Undecided

how does this happen?

I mean are there kids going around and clearing out all the bitcoin sites wallets?

How can this happen from the "outside" (not an employee using their computers)?

so if exchanges are getting hacked...can faucet sites get hacked for their balances as well?

And as always....NEVER Leave Your Money On An Exchange...Or ANY Site. Always keep your coins in your wallets.

almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:34:32 PM

And as always....NEVER Leave Your Money On An Exchange...Or ANY Site. Always keep your coins in your wallets.

It's possible that the average loss by "consumers" exceeds even seemingly massive losses when an exchange is hacked. If you're not careful enough, your funds may actually be safer (statistically) with a third party.

A bit like a major aircraft accident. It's horrible to hear about 300 people dying, yet that number is small when compared to say, traffic accidents. Even though the former is more sensational, you have far more chance of being affected by the latter.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:34:52 PM

When will trading websites start taking security seriously ? Users trust them with their hard earned money and they don't have even time to audit their websites.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 05:52:02 PM

It's possible that the average loss by "consumers" exceeds even seemingly massive losses when an exchange is hacked. If you're not careful enough, your funds may actually be safer (statistically) with a third party.

A bit like a major aircraft accident. It's horrible to hear about 300 people dying, yet that number is small when compared to say, traffic accidents. Even though the former is more sensational, you have far more chance of being affected by the latter.

The main problem with such reasoning is that you forget to mention that in air crashes, unlike traffic accidents, you have only an infinitesimal chance of surviving it. In other words, the horrible thing is not about 300 people dying, it is about ALL of them dying... Cool

redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:55:32 PM

When will trading websites start taking security seriously ? Users trust them with their hard earned money and they don't have even time to audit their websites.

Maybe we should start to "not trust" the exchanges for keep our coins, or maybe until they will start using coldWallet with multiSignature. The only exchanges that I know that they are using multiSig are : bitStamp.com and theRocktrading.com & also bit-x.com
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:59:04 PM

Maybe we should start to "not trust" the exchanges for keep our coins, or maybe until they will start using coldWallet with multiSignature. The only exchanges that I know that they are using multiSig are : bitStamp.com and theRocktrading.com .

BIT-X.com
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:09:00 PM

The main problem with such reasoning is that you forget to mention that in air crashes, unlike traffic accidents, you have only an infinitesimal chance of surviving it. In other words, the horrible thing is not about 300 people dying, it is about ALL of them dying... Cool

I'm referring specifically to fatalities only. The number of people killed in motor vehicle accidents over say a year would far exceed the toll from aircraft accidents.

Anyway, a somewhat moot point if the third party you trust with your funds happens to be the one that gets hacked. Sad

Wasn't it Fyrstikken that claimed a cold wallet was facilitated by spreading funds around the hot wallets of multiple exchanges? Wink An interesting (re)definition. Wink
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:12:32 PM

Maybe we should start to "not trust" the exchanges for keep our coins, or maybe until they will start using coldWallet with multiSignature. The only exchanges that I know that they are using multiSig are : bitStamp.com and theRocktrading.com .

BIT-X.com

Oh I forgot, also BIT-X.com is using multiSig addresses. I've added it on the OP as example of valid exchange.
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:16:55 PM

Bter?Huh The same who had 50M NXT stolen and contacted NXT devs to do a rollback? And the same from BitBay, which is just a pump and dump scheme?
http://cointelegraph.com/news/113238/chat-logs-allegedly-show-bter-creating-and-pumping-its-own-coin

Why do people still trust in this shitty exchange?
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 06:17:10 PM

I'm referring specifically to fatalities only. The number of people killed in motor vehicle accidents over say a year would far exceed the toll from aircraft accidents.

You say about what is horrible in air crashes ("It's horrible to hear about 300 people dying"), i.e. a number of casualties, while I say it is not the number itself, but the fatality rate being almost 100 percent, which is what makes air crashes look and sound horrible (unlike traffic accidents)... Cool

Rammus

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:19:21 PM

holy fuk... 7k in bitcoin.. I guess people still trust bad exchanges lol.
Renekton

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:53:06 PM

thats a hefty sum, this just reminds me of all the mt.gox stuff flashing back to me.
irfan_pak10
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1654

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 07:08:13 PM

OMG it has happened again,every time that bitcoin is in a good way another hack....

I am afraid that bter users are not going to recover their bitcoins

Yes One after another scammer hacking every site. I dont think these are scammer that hacking these site its their own site owner who are hacking the sites. Now i also lost my 3$ in this site  Grin. Its not the point that i only lost my 3$ but the point is How i can safe my BTC when all the site going down every day?

Well, its a matter of statistic, only leave coins on an exchange for those minutes/hours it is needed to exchange, and hope you don't get caught in the middle of a hack.
Else NEVER leave coins at exchanges for longer time.

As I told before a simple use of the multi-Sig "function" could avoid this type of situation (check greenAddress and see how it is easy to use).

What is the greenAddress and where i can get it.?

GreenAddress is the future! I'm very impressed that a lot of people aren't using it. If you want a strong security you should start to use it for "save" your coin.

Here the official thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521988.0

Are you sure we can use greenAddress as a safe wallet?

There isn't anything in this world that is sure at 100% , I think you know that. With greenAddress (GA) you can rise your level of security much more than the other webWallets.

If you want more security use an hardwallet with greenAddress and  you are more safe.

Yeah thanks

what about btc-e which is an exchange site
and also coinbase because i wanted to use some simple and secure site for saving my btc

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:08:37 PM

Bter?Huh The same who had 50M NXT stolen and contacted NXT devs to do a rollback? And the same from BitBay, which is just a pump and dump scheme?
http://cointelegraph.com/news/113238/chat-logs-allegedly-show-bter-creating-and-pumping-its-own-coin

I think because with these exchanges you can easily convert your altcoin to bitcoin and viceversa. The real purpose of an exchange is not to "keep" your coin for a long time (also 1-2 days are long "time") but it is to exchange your coin and after withdraw it.

An exchange is not a bank, I hope now a lot of users will start to think about this fact.
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:17:39 PM

I think because with these exchanges you can easily convert your altcoin to bitcoin and viceversa. The real purpose of an exchange is not to "keep" your coin for a long time (also 1-2 days are long "time") but it is to exchange your coin and after withdraw it.

An exchange is not a bank, I hope now a lot of users will start to think about this fact.

Anyway (if i's just to exchange bitcoins for altcoins), at least the people could use an exchange that suck less.
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:22:23 PM

If you want more security use an hardwallet with greenAddress and  you are more safe.

Yeah thanks

what about btc-e which is an exchange site
and also coinbase because i wanted to use some simple and secure site for saving my btc

I already suggest you greenAddress as webWallet for store your bitcoin, I've never used btc-e so I can't help you (but the rule is always the same : don't keep your money on an exchange).

For coinbase, I would like to tell you this thing : If you don't know the private key of the address , you don't really "own" the BTC contained in that bitcoin address.

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:29:43 PM

Can someone explain how is it possible to hack cold wallet? I thought cold wallet means offline and secure Undecided
All it supposed to mean is that it's disconnected from the Internet.  

Like maybe printed out in a safe or on a yellow sticky on somebody's computer monitor.    Shocked
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 71 »
  Print  

Jump to: