Bitcoin Forum
August 18, 2024, 01:18:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTER.com hacked| 7170 BTC stolen | DON'T KEEP YOUR MONEY ON AN EXCHANGE |  (Read 119687 times)
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:36:29 AM

Thank you again for the help , I have updated the Original post with that tweet; but as I told in the beginnin I suggest to avoid bter if they will re-open. However the final choice is yours (of all the customers)...

One word: Decentralized Exchange.  Grin
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:43:47 AM

Thank you again for the help , I have updated the Original post with that tweet; but as I told in the beginnin I suggest to avoid bter if they will re-open. However the final choice is yours (of all the customers)...

To establish a truly decentralized real-time exchange you would need to make a whole new infrastructure embracing existing cryptocurrencies (and future ones), which itself would be equal in effect and effort to creating Bitcoin.
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043

#Free market

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:50:02 AM

I've seen the new project Mercury (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=946174.0) but it allow only the exchange between the cryptocurrency. The real problem is the implementation for the "FIAT" side.
tee-rex

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:59:38 AM

The first comment to this twit seems to be of interest:

Max Kordek ‏@MaxKordek:
@btercom What is about the rumor of your empty offices?

Who knows anything about this rumor, or is it just a rumor?
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:09:33 AM

The first comment to this twit seems to be of interest:

Max Kordek ‏@MaxKordek:
@btercom What is about the rumor of your empty offices?

Who knows anything about this rumor, or is it just a rumor?

Don't believe the rumors.
But it is sure interesting.
noma

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:13:58 AM

bankcrupty it's not best way, if will resume - we have chance not to lose money.
If they resume, I doubt they will be refunding the 2 million USD that got hacked. So they will probably resume without that

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
tee-rex

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:18:27 AM

bankcrupty it's not best way, if will resume - we have chance not to lose money.
If they resume, I doubt they will be refunding the 2 million USD that got hacked. So they will probably resume without that

They might have found an investor with deep pockets. At first they were going to close the exchange and cease all operations save for the withdrawals only (though I didn't believe their words from the start), but now they are saying they are going to continue. Without returning the funds, opening the exchange doesn't make much sense. People would just withdraw their money in this case, and that would be the end of bter.
noma

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:28:37 AM

They might have found an investor with deep pockets. At first they were going to close the exchange and cease all operations save for the withdrawals only (though I didn't believe their words from the start), but now they are saying they are going to continue. Without returning the funds, opening the exchange doesn't make much sense. People would just withdraw their money in this case, and that would be the end of bter.

They way I think they plan to return is something better than nothing.
Even if they do not refund the BTC, the bitcoin world still has people who would continue trading on that site and they will still make money from it irrespective of it. So not refunding and  comeing back to try and resume is better for them than not refunding and leaving.

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:34:27 AM

Even if they do not refund the BTC, the bitcoin world still has people who would continue trading on that site and they will still make money from it irrespective of it. So not refunding and  comeing back to try and resume is better for them than not refunding and leaving.

They will ofcourse find a way to refund everything, but i doubt it going to be in a short time, and also how will people trust them again if they dont plan of refunding ? there are a lot more exchanger to trust rather than bter
tee-rex

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:40:53 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2015, 10:51:55 AM by tee-rex

They will ofcourse find a way to refund everything, but i doubt it going to be in a short time, and also how will people trust them again if they dont plan of refunding ? there are a lot more exchanger to trust rather than bter

Which are those? Cryptsy? To me, cryptsy is the next gox, it is just a question of time. Maybe, poloniex? Has been "hacked" before due to a lame hole in the withdrawal system. Bittrex then? Can't say anything either against it, or in favor of it, not yet at least.
shulio
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:58:33 AM

Which are those? Cryptsy? To me, cryptsy is the next gox, it is just a question of time. Maybe, poloniex? Has been "hacked" before due to a lame hole in the withdrawal system. Bittrex then? Can't say anything either against it, or in favor of it, not yet at least.

was talking about bittrex, and yes i agree cryptsy is gonna be the next gox, they got lot of complaint as far as i know but tend to keep it quiet, something for sure is wether how great an exchanger is, never store your funds in exchangers
tee-rex

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 11:03:54 AM

was talking about bittrex, and yes i agree cryptsy is gonna be the next gox, they got lot of complaint as far as i know but tend to keep it quiet, something for sure is wether how great an exchanger is, never store your funds in exchangers

Cryptsy's trading engine is broken (who would have thought), they are well aware of it (this has been confirmed by the support), and yet they do nothing to fix it. Why should I trust them my money (let alone trade there)?
shulio
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 11:14:13 AM

Cryptsy's trading engine is broken (who would have thought), they are well aware of it (this has been confirmed by the support), and yet they do nothing to fix it. Why should I trust them my money (let alone trade there)?

not to mention there are quite few accusations to cryptsy on this boards too
quick search and i found this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907207.0

took it few tickets and post on this boards to get their attention
bri912678

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 12:28:22 PM

not to mention there are quite few accusations to cryptsy on this boards too
quick search and i found this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907207.0

took it few tickets and post on this boards to get their attention

Cryptsy was facing a lawsuit over a customer account breach. I don't know if the case has reached court yet or what happened if it has.

http://www.coindesk.com/cryptsy-lawsuit-customer-account-breach/
Kn_os
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 01:27:20 PM

Can anybody give translation of weibo update?

【更新】我们正在与安全团队一起全力重构后台,比特儿将全新改版上线,届时将保证所有钱包安全性,全面开放虚拟币交易和提现。为加快恢复时间,避免工作受到干扰,我们在新的地点处于封闭开发状态,公司暂不接待访客,请您谅解。等待上线之后,欢迎您来访问交流。人民币提现照常24小时内到帐。

Google translate says something like they run away from them office to new place "to avoid confrontation"? Did i read it right...? They hiding from users in china..? And in some secret place "working hard to return our money"?...
tee-rex

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 01:43:05 PM

【更新】我们正在与安全团队一起全力重构后台,比特儿将全新改版上线,届时将保证所有钱包安全性,全面开放虚拟币交易和提现。为加快恢复时间,避免工作受到干扰,我们在新的地点处于封闭开发状态,公司暂不接待访客,请您谅解。等待上线之后,欢迎您来访问交流。人民币提现照常24小时内到帐。

Google translate says something like they run away from them office to new place "to avoid confrontation"? Did i read it right...? They hiding from users in china..? And in some secret place "working hard to return our money"?...

It seems that someone quick on the trigger has lost a handsome amount of money and finally decided to take the fate of bter and his coins there in his own hands.
SimplisticStu

Activity: 154

♥Bitcoin-Ethereum-Ripple♥

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 01:52:39 PM

It seems that someone quick on the trigger has lost a handsome amount of money and finally decided to take the fate of bter and his coins there in his own hands.

Below is the translation I get on mdbg.net:

"Update" we are working with the security team to reconstruct the background, bit-new website online, security will ensure that all wallets, open virtual currency transactions and cash withdrawal. In order to speed up recovery time and avoid interference with work, we develop new locations in a closed state, company not receiving visitors, please understand. After waiting on the line, you are welcome to visit. RMB accounts withdrawals within 24 hours as usual.
shulio
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 02:39:04 PM

Below is the translation I get on mdbg.net:

"Update" we are working with the security team to reconstruct the background, bit-new website online, security will ensure that all wallets, open virtual currency transactions and cash withdrawal. In order to speed up recovery time and avoid interference with work, we develop new locations in a closed state, company not receiving visitors, please understand. After waiting on the line, you are welcome to visit. RMB accounts withdrawals within 24 hours as usual.

this is another thread about bter leaving the office https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=975707.0
but i dont know if that is true or not, could have been great if there is a top member from china that can check it directly
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043

#Free market

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 02:55:19 PM

this is another thread about bter leaving the office https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=975707.0
but i dont know if that is true or not, could have been great if there is a top member from china that can check it directly

Thanks for the information I've added the thread in the initial post, it seems they want reopen their exchange, but maybe they have only change their "office" Roll Eyes // level of sarcasm : 100 .
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 03:05:34 PM

Reminiscent of Karpeles 'moving offices'...
Interesting to see where this ends up. They have started releasing crypto and fiat funds, at least, so it's not another complete re-run of Gox.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  

Jump to: