Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:12:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your cryptocoins were stolen and you called the police? WTF? Are you serious?  (Read 6213 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:08:25 PM

People still don't completely understand what cryptocoins are. They were created out of any government control (even against it) but ex-owners of stolen coins expect to get support of a government. But it has no sense!

I wasn't happy to read about recent Bitcoinica hack. Of coz, victims should ask the police for help to return money, but ONLY FIAT MONEY. Noone ought to mention bitcoins, coz every user of cryptocoins should understand that they outside the law. I pay taxes and I don't want them to be spent for salary of a police officer who investigates a case related to cryptocoins.

I don't know English good enough to explain very sophisticated ideas, but I hope u got me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 11:11:22 PM

Keep your politics/ideologies out of my bitcoins.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:12:37 PM

Property is property

You steal $1,000 from me I am going to call the Police.
You steal 1 gold bar from me I am going to call the Police.
You steal confidential documents from me I am going to call the Police.
You steal username/password to an online game from me and sell the account I am going to call the Police.
You steal some Bitcoins from me I am going to call the Police.

The idea that the Police only investigate thefts of dollars is just stupid.  

Would you apply your failed logic to any other property on the planet?
"Sorry sir that man stole your CAR.  See cars (and trucks) aren't currency issued by the US government there is nothing we can do.  Why did you call us?  You didn't by any chance have some loose change in the car.  If so then we could open a Police report.  Not for the car but for the coins in the car that were stolen."
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:16:42 PM

Agree with DeathAndTaxes . As long as you can prove pre-existing ownership (the police can only find something which is traceable) and have a clue on when and where the theft it happened it doesn't matter if it's baseball cards or bitcoins.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:19:18 PM

May I ask you what are you doing on this forum since November last year?

Now one thought exercise: I pay taxes and I DEMAND that the police investigates if I ever get "cryptocoins" stolen from me. What are you going to do about it?
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:20:41 PM

Somebody steals from me, I'm recruiting all the help I can get. I pay my taxes after all!

Disclosure:
1: I'm not an anarchist.
2: I use bitcoins.
3: I completely understand what a cryptocurrency is, thanks.
4: (nothing has been stolen from me anyway)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:20:52 PM

Your coins were stolen and you didn't call the police? WTF? Are you serious?
FTFY

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:22:06 PM

Hey cops! Some guy stole my math equations that are worth on the black market xxx usd

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:23:42 PM

People still don't completely understand what cryptocoins are. They were created out of any government control (even against it) but ex-owners of stolen coins expect to get support of a government. But it has no sense!

I wasn't happy to read about recent Bitcoinica hack. Of coz, victims should ask the police for help to return money, but ONLY FIAT MONEY. Noone ought to mention bitcoins, coz every user of cryptocoins should understand that they outside the law. I pay taxes and I don't want them to be spent for salary of a police officer who investigates a case related to cryptocoins.

I don't know English good enough to explain very sophisticated ideas, but I hope u got me.

It is the USD transactions people are talking about.  That's what there's a trail for.  The MtGox codes were converted to Liberty Reserve currency and attempts then made to withdraw those funds as "fiat money".  

Bitcoins are not illegal.  There's no reason not to have Bitcoin thefts investigated.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:24:27 PM

Hey cops! Some guy stole my math equations that are worth on the black market xxx usd

Last time I check MtGox and other exchanges aren't black markets.  The fact that Bitcoins (and dollars) can be used for illegal purposes doesn't negate the fact that they have value in legit markets. 
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:30:23 PM

If u use cryptocoins then u play Cryptoanarchopoly game. If u took a gun and joined warfare, then u wouldn't call the police after being shot.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:34:13 PM

People still don't completely understand what cryptocoins are.

You got that right. And nothing else.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:36:55 PM

If u use cryptocoins then u play Cryptoanarchopoly game. If u took a gun and joined warfare, then u wouldn't call the police after being shot.

Actually, police will investigate gang shootings against drug dealers who carry unlicensed firearms as well. You have misunderstood what the police are for based on your misinformation. Are you getting all your news from youtube?

unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:37:24 PM

Last time I check MtGox and other exchanges aren't black markets.  The fact that Bitcoins (and dollars) can be used for illegal purposes doesn't negate the fact that they have value in legit markets. 

OK fine. They are UNREGULATED AND NO LAWS PROTECT FROM THIS TYPE OF PRODUCT.

Is that better?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:38:41 PM

Is that better?

Not really. They are unregulated directly but are still regulated to a degree via FinCEN.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 11:44:32 PM

Any reasonable person would call the police if something was stolen from them.

All evidence points towards Zhou Tong stealing from Bitcoinica.  He claims to have his identity stolen, and he says he was framed.  Yet he has not called the police...  hmmmmm

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:44:40 PM

Is that better?

Why are you yelling, uncle? Also, just curious - are carrots regulated? I'm growing some in my garden. What do you think about carrots?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:44:57 PM

Actually, police will investigate gang shootings against drug dealers who carry unlicensed firearms as well. You have misunderstood what the police are for based on your misinformation. Are you getting all your news from youtube?

I meant the warfare like American Civil War.
sarpar

Activity: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:46:25 PM

Reasons why people call for the cops are:

1. they are NOT a victim and just are craving for sensation
2. they ARE a victim and realize that a civil process to recover funds is far to risky and prohibitively expensive, so they desire revenge. Helplessly thy cry for others.

what they don't realize is that the cops won't actively start international crime investigations, pioneering new fields of law for such low amounts of damage. while local law obliges mostly to investigate, luckily also government conducts somehow a cost-benefit analysis.

I openly boycott the Bitcoinica Consultancy team or Intersango: Donald Norman, Patrick Strateman and Amir Taaki
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 11:47:00 PM

Reason why people don't call the cops:

1) They are actually the ones that committed the crime

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: