Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:36:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916352 times)
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:40:59 PM

Preview of ASICMINER's forum ads:

Love this add. Seems very well oriented. Who did it? You, TAT?

Not me this time, twas the man himself, Friedcat.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SmiGueL

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:44:56 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220366.msg2408024#msg2408024 Wink

Asicminer Hashrate Charts @ www.asicminercharts.com

Donations BTC: 1SmiGSGWXzD5aZhmw3jyfpBFCgiki45MT
nexus 6

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:46:22 PM

Preview of ASICMINER's forum ads:

Not me this time, twas the man himself, Friedcat.

Looks like he is capable as well in marketing.  I dont know if finally there is a workgroup, separate arm, or something similar, as was said.  If yes, i would like join.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 04:00:09 PM

USB blockerupters are overpriced by every metric.  

*triple facepalm*

The only metric that matters is Quantity Demanded at the current price (hint: your personal opinion is not a metric).  Is there a surplus of USB blockerupters because they are "overpriced?"  No, there is not.

In fact, there is a shortage.  So rather than "overpriced" they are actually underpriced.  This isn't even college Econ; it's high school non-honors remedial economics for poets.

Please mind your P's and Q's; poor/cheap economic illiterates should not post in the securities section.  There's enough noise here already.   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:36:44 PM

*triple facepalm*

The only metric that matters is Quantity Demanded at the current price (hint: your personal opinion is not a metric).  Is there a surplus of USB blockerupters because they are "overpriced?"  No, there is not.

In fact, there is a shortage.  So rather than "overpriced" they are actually underpriced.  This isn't even college Econ; it's high school non-honors remedial economics for poets.

Please mind your P's and Q's; poor/cheap economic illiterates should not post in the securities section.  There's enough noise here already.   Roll Eyes

*sigh* Lets not start personal attacks based on a misunderstanding.

Your response completely ignores ROI.  And how is there not a surplus? Last I heard, friedcat was sitting on 6,000 units.

I'm not contending that Asicminer should be selling cheaper.  I think they are maximizing profits and that is a good thing.  What I'm saying is that at the current price point, someone would be making a mistake to purchase one (if ROI is in their decision making process).  If people are willing to throw their money at Asicminer then more power to them.
Factory

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:37:41 PM

It shows that we were way ahead last week, compared to the previous week, but at about the same level this week compared to last week.

It also shows the interesting effect of variance, when comparing this weeks increase in total mining rewards with last week's. We can see it went faster last week for a period (the red line rises faster than the blue line), but that current week's mined BTC caught up with it along the way, which it should if we're mining at the same speed. In fact, if we're mining at the same speed, the lines might divert for a bit, but should always converge at some point, which is what we're seeing.

Good call about adding this chart! It's very useful for investors who'd like to know how we're doing compared to last week.

I think it is quite impressive to see ASICMINER handle the 28% jump in difficulty so well. So long as management can continue to deploy additional mining hardware, income from mining will remain at a very attractive level.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:03:56 PM

*triple facepalm*

Your response completely ignores ROI.  And how is there not a surplus? Last I heard, friedcat was sitting on 6,000 units.

I'm not contending that Asicminer should be selling cheaper.  I think they are maximizing profits and that is a good thing.  What I'm saying is that at the current price point, someone would be making a mistake to purchase one (if ROI is in their decision making process).  If people are willing to throw their money at Asicminer then more power to them.

He did not state that there is a surplus, His exact statement was 'Is there a surplus of USB blockerupters because they are "overpriced?"  No, there is not.'. If this statement was to be debated, I think it would make sense to use the argument that we relatively started to reach a point were we should take advantage of the higher demand at a lower price now before the competitors force us to sell at even lower prices to have any demand at all.

His argument overlooked ROI because it is a different metric and you can call it a different plane since his argument was consolidated in the basics of economics and markets so he did not dive into the nature of the good we are selling being used to generate profit.

I am not pretending to be all knowledgeable in economics I just started studying it on my own for about two years now. But even in my humble opinion, Please stop embarrassing yourself. This is the time to go and do your homework, Especially if you are not trolling and really willing to learn something out of this discussion.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:06:03 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 05:16:59 PM by iCEBREAKER

Your response completely ignores ROI.  And how is there not a surplus? Last I heard, friedcat was sitting on 6,000 units.

I'm not contending that Asicminer should be selling cheaper.  I think they are maximizing profits and that is a good thing.  What I'm saying is that at the current price point, someone would be making a mistake to purchase one (if ROI is in their decision making process).  If people are willing to throw their money at Asicminer then more power to them.

Accusing me of "misunderstanding" is a personal attack.  I understand perfectly your purported solely relevant metric of ROI; it's been debated relentlessly on this forum for months.  WTF makes you think I (and AM's many, many customers) somehow missed, or didn't comprehend, the ROI discussion?   Cheesy

That's insulting in exactly the same way you are insulting the hundreds of willing AM customers who voluntarily (and enthusiastically) have been buying truckoads of their hardware, by second-guessing the desirability of those transactions and making accusations of less than fully-informed decisions.

You and I don't get to make the call about what is or isn't "overpriced."  The market, using more information available to either of us, makes that determination.

AM is not having any difficulty selling hardware at their current price point.  Therefore their products are in shortage, or price equilibrium at best.

ROI is not in any way related to the question of pricing.  Perhaps others know things about future difficulty or block/transaction rewards we do not; perhaps others wish to own a piece of history in the form of first-gen AM hardware.  It's not our money, not our business, and not our place to judge who is or isn't "throwing their money at AM" (another insult).

What you are really saying is 'I am too poor and/or too cheap and/or too scared to buy AM hardware.  I am jealous of those who have more money than I do and envy, to the point of resentment, their unquestionably gutsy decision to take a risk.  Instead of being direct and honest about my mere personal opinion, I'll dress it up as some fancy kind of Economic Fact with a fig leaf of ROI to hide my naked butthurt.'

I'm not contending that Asicminer should be selling cheaper.  I think they are maximizing profits and that is a good thing.  

Well that's good.  There's hope for you yet!  Stick around Junior, and we'll get you up to speed in no time.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:10:16 PM

*triple facepalm*

+1 - Things are worth what customers are willing to pay. At this point, every manufacturer is selling their equipment at below market cost or the resale market on eBay with higher prices wouldn't exist.

lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:10:55 PM

Accusing me of "misunderstanding" is a personal attack.  I understand perfectly your purported solely relevant metric of ROI; it's been debated relentlessly on this forum for months.  WTF makes you think I (and AM's many, many customers) somehow missed, or didn't comprehend, the ROI discussion?   Cheesy

That's insulting in exactly the same way you are insulting the hundreds of willing AM customers who voluntarily (and enthusiastically) have been buying truckoads of their hardware, by second-guessing the desirability of those transactions and making accusations of less than fully-informed decisions.

You and I don't get to make the call about what is or isn't "overpriced."  The market, using more information available to either of us, makes that determination.

AM is not having any difficulty selling hardware at their current price point.  Therefore their products are in shortage, or price equilibrium at best.

ROI is not in any way related to the question of pricing.  Perhaps others know things about future difficulty or block/transaction rewards we do not; perhaps others wish to own a piece of history in the form of first-gen AM hardware.  It's not our money, not our business, and not our place to judge who is or isn't "throwing their money at AM" (another insult).

What you are really saying is 'I am too poor and/or too cheap and/or too scared to buy AM hardware.  I am jealous of those who have more money than I do and envy, to the point of resentment, their unquestionably gutsy decision to take a risk.  Instead of being direct and honest about my mere personal opinion, I'll dress it up as some fancy kind of Economic Fact with a fig leaf of ROI to hide my naked butthurt.'

Jeez dude you got all that from what he wrote? I really did not so either I am visually impaired (and btw I really am), Or you just have alot of issues that you have to deal with!

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:16:37 PM

Jeez dude you got all that from what he wrote? I really did not so either I am visually impaired (and btw I really am), Or you just have alot of issues that you have to deal with!

It's called a "close reading."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_reading 

You aren't visually impaired, merely ignorant of literary criticism and rhetoric.  Don't worry, I'll teach you by example because I'm such a great guy!   Cool

The issue I am dealing with is called economic illiteracy.  There's plenty of it everywhere, but I don't like seeing it here on my redoubt of sanity.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:30:07 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 05:40:49 PM by lophie

You aren't visually impaired, merely ignorant of literary criticism and rhetoric.  Don't worry, I'll teach you by example because I'm such a great guy!   Cool

Your crystal ball is definitely broken judging by my 7 years going on and forth in hospitals with two major operations on my corneas for both eyes. But you know, You know more obviously about everything.

ADDED: aaah sorry for being so slow and retarded you wanted to do your "close reading" thing on what I posted. I am sorry I don't do metaphors and being rhetoric when I want to express an exact piece of information like, "I think you are an utter idiot".

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:40:03 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 05:53:27 PM by iCEBREAKER

Your crystal ball is definitely broken judging by my 7 years going on and forth in hospitals with two major operations on my corneas for both eyes. But you know, You know more obviously about everything.

Fair enough, I should have said "Your problem isn't visual impairment, it's ignorance of literary criticism and rhetoric" instead.

But yes, I do obviously know more about everything.  That's because (and why) I've been here a lot longer than you have.   Cool

You obviously understand economics better than dhenson.  Aren't you sick of him and others bleating on about 'ZOMG I have made a subjective personal decision not to buy AM hardware; therefore it is overpriced in some kind of absolute, objective way and all who disagree are throwing wasted money at Friedcat?'

ADDED: aaah sorry for being so slow and retarded you wanted to do your "close reading" thing on what I posted. I am sorry I don't do metaphors and being rhetoric when I want to express an exact piece of information like, "I think you are an utter idiot".

"Metaphors?"  Who said anything about "metaphors?"  Not I.  Are you under the impression that close readings have something to do with them?  Looking for metaphors is one part of close reading, but I didn't explicate any from dhenson's uninformed utterances.

I can help you overcome your self-pity and visual impairment if you wish to learn more about linguistic analysis.  But if you are determined to remain proudly ignorant on the subject, you are beyond the scope of teachability.  Do you really want to be a perma-noob?   Undecided

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitzox

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:42:24 PM

This isn't even college Econ; it's high school non-honors remedial economics for poets.

No disrespect or insult to anyone involved in this argument, but this made me laugh really hard...econ for poets haha.

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:46:16 PM

The kind of people who entertain these questions:
Aren't you sick of him and others bleating on about 'ZOMG I have made a subjective personal decision not to buy AM hardware; therefore it is overpriced in some kind of absolute, objective way and all who disagree are throwing wasted money at Friedcat?'

Are the kind that thinks that:
yes, I do obviously know more about everything.  That's because (and why) I've been here a lot longer than you have.   Cool

This particular point I bolded, Would be viciously hilarious to the ones around here who knows my real identity.

Shasoudas

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:48:12 PM

Posted by: iCEBREAKER
Insert Quote
Quote from: lophie on Today at 06:30:07 PM

Aren't you sick of him and others bleating on about 'ZOMG I have made a subjective personal decision not to buy AM hardware; therefore it is overpriced in some kind of absolute, objective way and all who disagree are throwing wasted money at Friedcat?'

I am sick of the crap that is now filling up this thread, including this post right now. I do understand the replies that need to be made though, to push back the onslaught of ignorance and misinformed posts/FUD. Kudos to the guys trying to keep this thread "pure". Do as other people have done, and create alternate threads about matters not directly associated to ASICminer or discussed by friedcat in this thread. My somewhat worthless 2 shatoshi's.

Take your arguments elsewhere and just edit your posts to allow users to be redirected there to watch everyone measure they're Epeen. Don't clog this thread with unnecessary posts please.

Shas
bitzox

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:49:55 PM

On an unrelated note, is everyone as excited as I am to see what tomorrows bitcoin Christmas will bring?

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:51:58 PM

It shows that we were way ahead last week, compared to the previous week, but at about the same level this week compared to last week.

It also shows the interesting effect of variance, when comparing this weeks increase in total mining rewards with last week's. We can see it went faster last week for a period (the red line rises faster than the blue line), but that current week's mined BTC caught up with it along the way, which it should if we're mining at the same speed. In fact, if we're mining at the same speed, the lines might divert for a bit, but should always converge at some point, which is what we're seeing.

Good call about adding this chart! It's very useful for investors who'd like to know how we're doing compared to last week.

I think it is quite impressive to see ASICMINER handle the 28% jump in difficulty so well. So long as management can continue to deploy additional mining hardware, income from mining will remain at a very attractive level.
That's a good point. ASICMiner has had to increase its hash rate by 28% since the difficulty adjustment on June 5th in order to keep up the earnings, and it seems they indeed have done that.

Perhaps they really have ready-to-go blades just waiting to be deployed. Or perhaps they specifically expected the large difficulty increase, and have a portion set aside to handle difficulty increases.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:59:38 PM

This isn't even college Econ; it's high school non-honors remedial economics for poets.

No disrespect or insult to anyone involved in this argument, but this made me laugh really hard...econ for poets haha.

Thanks.  I would have said 'econ for athletes' but that would have been just plain mean.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Factory

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:12:43 PM

Perhaps they really have ready-to-go blades just waiting to be deployed. Or perhaps they specifically expected the large difficulty increase, and have a portion set aside to handle difficulty increases.

While it is unknown exactly how many are fully constructed, we do know that the company has already paid for a very large amount of mining equipment that is yet to be deployed or sold. The change in total ASICMINER hashrate is likely based on the following:

• 1. How quickly equipment can be produced.

While it is impressive how quickly ASICMINER has been able to deliver- there are a variety of issues that can cause delays in production or lesser yields. There have not been any major hiccups so far, but we must be mindful of the potential.

• 2. Buying demand from the public.

They can not continually deploy large amounts of equipment if there is reason to sell them. It seems that ASIC Miner has been able to meet buying demand well. Despite the strong sales, we should not be surprised by an eventual price reduction in both USBs and Blades- especially when we get closer to 2nd generation equipment. I really wish we would receive financial statements as well as any forward statements regarding R&D. I am very interested to see what ASICMINER's CapEx looks like. I believe this is where a major catalyst lies and not much has been said on the subject.

• 3. Change in the total network hashrate caused by other miners and the subsequent change in difficulty that leads to.

The company has been able to maintain over 20% of the network and looks set to stay in that area for the near future. It looks like they are doing small staggered equipment increases to maintain this level. One would think that they could achieve 25-30% of the network total for now, but it is always a fine dance with points 1 & 2 as well as the continual hunt to acquire adequate server space to operate the mining equipment, find capable people to maintain the equipment, and in general deal with the logistics of scaling up to such a large size. Greatly increasing the total hashrate is a very difficult task that leads to diminishing returns and lower margins- something that I'm sure they continue to evaluate.

Pages: « 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: