Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:37:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 [360] 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916380 times)
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:06:17 AM

Friedcat,

A team of us shareholders has taken the time to collect and simplify the most popular questions people have for you and ASICMINER. I am sending these questions to you at Jutarul's suggestion, and on behalf of all ASICMINER shareholders that took our poll.

I am only going to send 3 questions to you, in order to keep things simple, and to hopefully maintain this line of communication in the future. We understand that you might not be able to fully answer some things due to competition, but any amount of info will be plenty for us!

If you can take the time to answer, feel free to post your answers in your main ASICMINER thread, or respond to me directly and I will copy your answers verbatim.

Thank you so much for your consideration, here are the questions:

1. Can you tell us more about the next generation of ASIC chips? When should we expect them, and what specs might they achieve?

2. Does ASICMINER/Bitfountain have any legal risks by doing business in China? Are cryptocurrencies or mining of virtual currencies allowed there?

3. What contingency plan do you have in place if Friedcat or other important employees become seriously ill or otherwise unavailable as a resource to ASICMINER?

OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM FRIEDCAT

Hi ThickAsThieves,

1. They will arrive at October as their earliest. The specs are unknown (only simulation results at this moment), but surely they will be much better than all available similar products in the market now.

2. Cryptocurrencies or mining of virtual currencies are OK. Exchanging them for fiat is less OK but the legal risk is mostly on the exchange operators' side. However as everyone knows, the policy in China is never predictable so there is indeed risks in the future. We have been considering and coping with this uncertainty from the day our chips passed the test and are on the start of building offshore company structures.

3. The access to company wallet is backed up and we back up shareholder information frequently. Also the division of work in Bitfountain is not yet so refined that there are no replaceable positions. We have already left our startup stage so it's become more organized, therefore backup employees are becoming more important and in our range of plan.

Best regards,

friedcat

Wow, awesome news. Thanks a lot friedcat, ThickAsThieves, and everyone else who helped with this.
eltopo

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:12:44 AM

I tried myself to create a list with AM shareholders based on yesterday's dividends:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtqphFCP56ordGVCakJxSU90MlB4MlBkZENya25pS2c

I got > 398k of the 400k shares. If you find any errors please let me know!

Updated by dividend day 2013-06-12
joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:33:34 PM

Hi ThickAsThieves,

1. They will arrive at October as their earliest. The specs are unknown (only simulation results at this moment), but surely they will be much better than all available similar products in the market now.

2. Cryptocurrencies or mining of virtual currencies are OK. Exchanging them for fiat is less OK but the legal risk is mostly on the exchange operators' side. However as everyone knows, the policy in China is never predictable so there is indeed risks in the future. We have been considering and coping with this uncertainty from the day our chips passed the test and are on the start of building offshore company structures.

3. The access to company wallet is backed up and we back up shareholder information frequently. Also the division of work in Bitfountain is not yet so refined that there are no replaceable positions. We have already left our startup stage so it's become more organized, therefore backup employees are becoming more important and in our range of plan.

Best regards,

friedcat
Awesome news! Now I have peace of mind even difficulty strike high mining still profitable with AM.
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:41:24 PM

glad that 2.50btc wall is gone. It took a while to sell those shares and psychologically I had forgotten about that auction and was wondering why the price was stuck there, I started thinking about dubious things like "efficient market theory" and other unsubstantiated things, as if 2.50 btc was a consensus driven midpoint price between people thinking AM would be 1.70 btc and people thinking AM would be 5 btc/share

the estimates my company has come up with are still sound
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:44:13 PM

but surely they will be much better than all available similar products in the market now.

Things are moving fast, and "available in the market now" may have little to do with what will be available in october.
KnC is supposed to deliver ships at 28nm for instance:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.0

The next gen is going to entirely re-shuffle the deck, I hope AM takes proper design decisions now to then remain a big actor, or better the leader as it is today.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
PeterB

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 01:13:47 PM

but surely they will be much better than all available similar products in the market now.

Things are moving fast, and "available in the market now" may have little to do with what will be available in october.

The next gen is going to entirely re-shuffle the deck, I hope AM takes proper design decisions now to then remain a big actor, or better the leader as it is today.

"Supposed to deliver" are the key words here.

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:20:55 PM

Let's not play with words. You cannot take decisions based on your assumptions that all competitors will fail to meet their promises. This is obvious that the landscape of technology available in october will be different than that of today.

ianp

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:26:52 PM

Let's not play with words. You cannot take decisions based on your assumptions that all competitors will fail to meet their promises. This is obvious that the landscape of technology available in october will be different than that of today.

In other words -- if you treat every threat as a ... threat, you'll be in better shape.

I'm excited to learn more about Gen 2 when the information becomes available.
neilol

Activity: 302

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:32:44 PM

Friedcat bidding on adspace? Is this new?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=229054.20

Ozymandias

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:05:53 PM

Friedcat bidding on adspace? Is this new?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=229054.20

Sort of; he did it last week as well
PeterB

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 02:08:38 PM

? You say “don’t play with words,” and then put such absurd words in my mouth?   I never suggested that ASICMiner should not plan for the future, difficulty increases or competitors’ actions.  I was just pointing out that it is unclear what mining rigs will actually be deployed and which ASIC companies / products actually turn out to be legitimate.  Obviously I agree the network hash rate will be much higher and there will be more competition, but it is not clear that competitors will fulfill their current promises.

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
g83

Activity: 448

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 02:30:50 PM

the less promises our competitors fulfill, the better for us :-)
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:33:07 PM

Eventually there will be a competitor that is more efficient and strategic than the current examples. AM has opportunity to seize, and I believe that they are fully aware of this, and how to seize it.
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:52:24 PM

? You say “don’t play with words,” and then put such absurd words in my mouth?   I never suggested that ASICMiner should not plan for the future, difficulty increases or competitors’ actions.  I was just pointing out that it is unclear what mining rigs will actually be deployed and which ASIC companies / products actually turn out to be legitimate.  Obviously I agree the network hash rate will be much higher and there will be more competition, but it is not clear that competitors will fulfill their current promises.

No offence, sorry for my wording. I didn't meant you personally said that, I wanted to point out how different the game will be and my hope that AM handles the next "fight" properly by taking competitors seriously. Anyway I do believe the competition from September/October will be much much harder as what it has been until now.

stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:10:55 PM

Eventually there will be a competitor that is more efficient and strategic than the current examples. AM has opportunity to seize, and I believe that they are fully aware of this, and how to seize it.

That's the thing that I find very odd and maybe even a little worrying about this mining business. AM seem to be totally unlike their current rivals. Some of the upstarts may still prove themselves, but at the moment they all seem amateurish by comparison. It won't last forever.

AM do not seem too cocky, of course, and I'm sure they remember what Andy Grove at Intel used to say about business - "Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive." The current threats seem so obvious and appear to be well in hand, which makes me worry that there's something else coming that they have missed.

I like the company so much though I can't bring myself to sell any shares, though I suspect they may be somewhat overvalued. Absent a crystal ball, only time will tell.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:15:36 PM

Friedcat,

A team of us shareholders has taken the time to collect and simplify the most popular questions people have for you and ASICMINER. I am sending these questions to you at Jutarul's suggestion, and on behalf of all ASICMINER shareholders that took our poll.

I am only going to send 3 questions to you, in order to keep things simple, and to hopefully maintain this line of communication in the future. We understand that you might not be able to fully answer some things due to competition, but any amount of info will be plenty for us!

If you can take the time to answer, feel free to post your answers in your main ASICMINER thread, or respond to me directly and I will copy your answers verbatim.

Thank you so much for your consideration, here are the questions:

1. Can you tell us more about the next generation of ASIC chips? When should we expect them, and what specs might they achieve?

2. Does ASICMINER/Bitfountain have any legal risks by doing business in China? Are cryptocurrencies or mining of virtual currencies allowed there?

3. What contingency plan do you have in place if Friedcat or other important employees become seriously ill or otherwise unavailable as a resource to ASICMINER?

Hi ThickAsThieves,

Best regards,

friedcat

Wow, awesome news. Thanks a lot friedcat, ThickAsThieves, and everyone else who helped with this.

ASICminer is indeed a breath of fresh air in the Bitcoin community. Professional folks, delivering as promised - ASIC BUSINESS DONE RIGHT.

CONGRATS TO FRIEDCAT AND TO ALL THE ASICMINER SHAREHOLDERS

binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:29:39 PM

Cool picture, infinite wine  Smiley

I "stole" your signature Rampion, I agree with and it is important to spread the word if we think it is the proper way to handle the block size problem in the near future.

Sorry for the off-topic  Tongue

SOSLOVE868

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:38:48 PM

Thank friedcat for what he did for the community and his super business ASICMINER.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:48:37 PM

Invalid Thread specified...

Just me? If so, could someone quote it//message it to me?

Thanks

Maybe they didnt like me sharing the link?!

FYI link is working again. I rather dislike hijacking threads, but since we are talking about competition, BFL seems to be (finally) starting up, albeit rather weakly.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3214-first-single-sc-60gh-s-has-left-building.html

lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:21:39 PM

Invalid Thread specified...

Just me? If so, could someone quote it//message it to me?

Thanks

Maybe they didnt like me sharing the link?!

FYI link is working again. I rather dislike hijacking threads, but since we are talking about competition, BFL seems to be (finally) starting up, albeit rather weakly.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3214-first-single-sc-60gh-s-has-left-building.html

hey bear prices wont go down again. we get it BFL went from imaginary to a single board shipped poorly. Still not even on our competition radar.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Pages: « 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 [360] 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: