Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:44:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin Really End World Poverty?  (Read 10032 times)
ipbo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:12:13 AM

I think you can help by donating if you want to help the poor ones.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:42:28 AM

Can bitcoin really do anything to solve world poverty problem? Brian Singer certainly think so. He thinks that Bitcoin can bring minimum everyday earning for people more swiftly than any other economy system.

Is it possible?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes/2015/04/02/how-bitcoin-will-end-world-poverty/
The short and only answer is no, bitcoin will not help to solve world poverty problem. Why? Because economical systems, regulations and laws are not the problem here. Humans are. People are so corrupt and flawed that they do not care about making this world a better place, they just care about themselves. That is why we will never have world without poverty, wars and terrorism. Bitcoin is nice tool but it is people who will be using it. That is the problem.
IMO
"Corrupt" that is the problem, in my country there is so many corruption.
So with BTCitcoin we can see all of the people transactions, so we can easily find the people who corrupt state money.

faucet used to be profitable
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 02:03:40 AM

technically you're correct ... but spending power = spending power , any way you define it ... it's simply a matter of liquidity when it comes straight down to it ... if i have 1/2 of a billion dollars in fiat currencies , and i've got real estate , stocks , bonds , airplanes , collector cars , and gold bars worth 1/2 of a billion dollars ... i have 1 billion dollars worth of spending power aka wealth ... i'd just need to hock the real estate , stocks , bonds , airplanes , collector cars , and gold bars in exchange for liquid capital if i wanted my wealth measured purely in fiat terms ...

See, the point is, both fiat AND bitcoin are a part of your wealth. You can sell your gold bars, house, and whatever else for bitcoin as well. So that's why what you said is a fallacy. You can only compare fiat and bitcoin, bringing wealth into the picture doesn't work.

Even if bitcoin replaced all fiat, there will still be people with houses, with cars, with planes, with patents, with stocks. And they can sell those for bitcoins. Personally I'd rather have a mansion than bitcoins.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 07:58:33 AM

This exactly.  A new form of currency is not going to solve the world's problems when the people with the power to make change can't or won't exercise that power.
I would not be surprised if an article pops up saying that Bitcoins intention to end poverty failed.  Roll Eyes

The short and only answer is no, bitcoin will not help to solve world poverty problem. Why? Because economical systems, regulations and laws are not the problem here. Humans are. People are so corrupt and flawed that they do not care about making this world a better place, they just care about themselves. That is why we will never have world without poverty, wars and terrorism. Bitcoin is nice tool but it is people who will be using it. That is the problem.
IMO
"Corrupt" that is the problem, in my country there is so many corruption.
So with BTCitcoin we can see all of the people transactions, so we can easily find the people who corrupt state money.
I'm pretty sure that he wasn't just talking about corruption inside a country, but rather in general. People in general are bad (greedy would be a better word I assume). No, I'm not saying that we're all bad. Just take a look at this:
85 richest people have as much money as the 3.5 Billion poorest:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2014/01/23/the-85-richest-people-in-the-world-have-as-much-wealth-as-the-3-5-billion-poorest/
The whole system is flawed. Donating money to feed people doesn't do anything but help them survive another day. Bitcoin can't help here.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 08:10:09 AM

Can bitcoin really do anything to solve world poverty problem? Brian Singer certainly think so. He thinks that Bitcoin can bring minimum everyday earning for people more swiftly than any other economy system.

Is it possible?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes/2015/04/02/how-bitcoin-will-end-world-poverty/

NO

I hope that answers your question  Wink
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 01:16:33 PM

Bitcoin is a currency, an asset. How can it end world poverty?

People are in poverty because they do not have the opportunity to earn enough to meet their daily needs. Bitcoin is not a magic potion they can take an sudden becomes more knowledgeable and able to steadily earn more each month.

I agree that the blockchain technology can be used to publicly record ownership rights. Underprivileged poeple had nothing! They do not own anything of much value to be recorded in the ownership blockchain.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 01:21:22 PM

I'm not against donating to the poor but that's basically spoon feeding. If all the rich people in the world starts donating to the poor, it might help lessen the poverty all around the world, but a possible ending to that would be those people in the state of poverty will just be dependent to those people who donates to them. Chances are, the rich will continue to feed and help the poor and the poor, in return, will (/) forever be depending on the rich. Sometimes, inequality helps, but most of the time it doesn't.
abyrnes81

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 01:27:13 PM

Is it possible?

IMHO bitcoin can't end the World poverty instead he can generate new work oppurtunity but never end the World poverty. Also if he will replace the FIAT values, he can never end the poverty (the unique way is the donation, every day every time).
Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:06:23 PM

The answer is a big NO. Think of it? World have always war,corruption, killing also terorrism. These are the reason why world is poor. The money? Or any currency cant end of the povery of the world,  if the world have peace that is the answer to your question. Even if money can change the people but not the world . Its not only the money can revolve the world , also the peace and unite.
IlaughAtU

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:17:29 PM

No, because then the Al Gore's of the world wouldn't have anything to preach about.
Mr.K

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:23:45 AM

[/quote]

Can't agree more.
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:39:22 AM

Only collective human compassion can end world poverty.

This makes sense to me.  How can we best inspire collective human compassion?

Today, I had a flat tire.  Three strangers volunteered to help me.  Giving me tools, and lending a hand.  They didn't ask for a tip in bitcoin.  Now, in the same city there are many robberies and a lot of murders.  I live in a very Catholic country, so I am skeptical about a religious solution.

sdp

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:41:17 AM

There are 3 billion poor people around the world. How can you donate to all of them, for the infinite time period. The key to reducing global poverty is to:

1. Make people self-sufficient, by educating them.
2. Prevent exploitation by bankers, oligarchs.etc
3. Introduce family planning, so that the poor don't produce a dozen children each.
4. Reduce corruption.
5. Reduce army spending.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 04:57:53 AM

There are 3 billion poor people around the world. How can you donate to all of them, for the infinite time period. The key to reducing global poverty is to:

3. Introduce family planning, so that the poor don't produce a dozen children each.
4. Reduce corruption.
5. Reduce army spending.
I'm not even sure which of those points should get most of the attention. Introducing a new form of currency does not solve these problems. Even though Bitcoin has many benefits, they are quite useless in a undeveloped place.
I've always said this in the past and have never donated anything to such a cause. Feeding them for another day does not do anything. It can actually make things worse.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Dotakels

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 05:53:07 AM

4. Reduce corruption.
5. Reduce army spending.
I'm not even sure which of those points should get most of the attention. Introducing a new form of currency does not solve these problems. Even though Bitcoin has many benefits, they are quite useless in a undeveloped place.
I've always said this in the past and have never donated anything to such a cause. Feeding them for another day does not do anything. It can actually make things worse.
The few of point are correct.  And the other are wrong. If you less or reduce the budget for army. Who will protect us? From criminals,terrorist? And reduce the corruption? Why you said to reduce?   The right is to stop corruption because the taxes that they get from us they will put in their on pocket. The sevices that should they gave to us they not do for us. And the correct point is to educate them because this will help to understand the situation of the world and they can solved because they have studded. And the pamily planning. This would help to reduce population and the teenagers will be alert that i they not plan they lives will be destroyed and the lives of their childreb will be ruined.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:03:04 AM

The few of point are correct.  And the other are wrong. If you less or reduce the budget for army. Who will protect us? From criminals,terrorist? And reduce the corruption? Why you said to reduce?   The right is to stop corruption because the taxes that they get from us they will put in their on pocket. The sevices that should they gave to us they not do for us. And the correct point is to educate them because this will help to understand the situation of the world and they can solved because they have studded. And the pamily planning. This would help to reduce population and the teenagers will be alert that i they not plan they lives will be destroyed and the lives of their childreb will be ruined.

You don't need the army to protect you from criminals. It is the duty of the policemen to deal with criminals. And reducing corruption alone can alleviate poverty from places like Africa.
Dotakels

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:12:59 AM

You don't need the army to protect you from criminals. It is the duty of the policemen to deal with criminals. And reducing corruption alone can alleviate poverty from places like Africa.
But armies are also criminals they just like a policeman but in the whole country. But in a country that has no corruption its great to hear that because their economy will grow and becomes better. And bitcoin is only a currency or money so the btc cant end the world poverty.  Its all up to the people who live with good intention and not doing anything wrong or destroying the law.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 12:42:32 PM

No it is definitely not wrong. Military budgets are often way too high while the country has other problems that need financial aid. Take the US for example. Look at its military budget. A lot of that money get wasted on projects that are doomed to fail from start.

But armies are also criminals they just like a policeman but in the whole country. But in a country that has no corruption its great to hear that because their economy will grow and becomes better. And bitcoin is only a currency or money so the btc cant end the world poverty.  Its all up to the people who live with good intention and not doing anything wrong or destroying the law.
Indeed. If the country had no corruption and a functional and working law system everything would be much better. There might almost be no poor people in it at all. Bitcoin does not solve this. Bitcoin can support this though enabling different and faster means of money transfer.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:46:08 PM

Is it possible?

yes.

even i said bitcoin can do that years ago.

for instance right now bitcoin is stupidly pegged to the US dollar.

this means that based on minimum wage bitcoin is worth:
USA: washington 26 hours 26 minutes labour (washington: min wage $9.47 / btc $250)
USA: california 27 hours 46 minutes labour (california: min wage $9.00 / btc $250)
USA: multiple states 34 hours 29 minutes labour (multiple states: min wage $7.25 / btc $250)
UK: 25 hours 41 minutes labour  (UK: min wage £6.50 / btc £167)
china: shanghai 90 hours 25 minutes labour (shanghai min wage 17yuan / btc Y1537)
china: hainan 170 hours 46 minutes labour (hainan min wage 9yuan / btc Y1537)

but imagine that bitcoin was not pegged to dollars.. but instead pegged to a universal measure of X minimum hours worldwide.

EG today imagine bitcoin was measured as being 40 hours minimum wage labour.
that means everyone around the wold no matter what would get a bitcoin for 40 hours work.
of course as deflation occured and demand rised a bitcoin would be worth 41 hours, 42 hours. etc etc.

which people could easily convert into their local currency without having to think about converting to dollars or worrying about dollars stability

I saw your posts getting better recently Franikie and that ones a cracker

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:48:32 PM

We really need a shift in Human emotion and feelings, Bitocin is just another tool. I have been in this sphere for over 3 years and seen the worst of Human nature and a little of the good. Until greed is eradicated and happiness over another's loss for our gain is also eradicated, we cannot end world poverty. Get rid of greedy Whales and Scammy Devs then we can surely think about it healing this planet.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: