Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:08:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin Money or Currency  (Read 5697 times)
elkafee79

Activity: 122
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 03:37:29 PM

mon·ey (noun)

- a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively.
---

cur·ren·cy read as ˈkərənsē (noun)

-a system of money in general use in a particular country.

So, is bitcoin money or currency?

Both, I think bitcoin is money and currency. The bitcoin is crypto currency, bitcoin also payment system. If the price of bitcoin is stable , I think bitcoin will be used as money all the countries. I hope it.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elghoniya

Activity: 111

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 03:50:37 PM

mon·ey (noun)

- a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively.
---

I think the bitcoin is currency, It is not real money. The bitcoin is difficult be used as money because the bitcoin is high volatile.
senarathne225

Activity: 172

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 03:51:54 PM

Currency is simply paper. This paper money is a tool for trading your time. Currency has no intrinsic value!. One of the biggest problems with currency is that the governments can print more and more of it whenever they want or need to.
Money is a store of value and maintains its purchasing power over a long period of time. Silver and gold is the optimum form of money because of its properties.
Bitcoin is a digital asset designed by its inventor, Satoshi Nakamoto, to work as a currency. It is commonly referred to with terms like digital currency.
dongbat03

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 04:02:51 PM

Bitcoin is some kind of assets and it's can be exchanged to other form of assets, in my opinion, it's still money but definitely not a currecny, some people are even asking to close digital good section which use Bitcoin as exchanging currency, so how can you call Bitcoin a currency?

Yes  bitcoin is a digital asset but you can still exchange to make it real or fiat
Seunbabatunde

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 04:04:36 PM

Bitcoin is the currency
Rastafarian

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 05:24:18 PM

There are so many doubts about some questions I use to ask people and myself about bitcoin? Is bitcoin a verifiable record that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services? Does bitcoin repay debts in a particular country or socio-economic context?
Is bitcoin in the form of money which circulates as a medium of exchange? Upon all these questions I ask myself and others, I can deduce that bitcoin is a currency since it is medium of exchange used in a particular country or setting.
Xenoph0bia

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:03:35 PM

mon·ey (noun)

---

Presently bitcoin is just digital money and is not a mainstream currency.
Firstly, the coin's decentralised nature makes it not bound to any rules and regulations of any government which makes it a fearful prospect for currency in the future as the economy would be no longer under control.
The coin has not gained acceptance worldwide due to the same reasons and is even banned in some countries.
The most important characteristic feature of a currency is its stablity which the coin doesn't possess. The coin is highly volatile for that.
The coin is a great investment asset but it would take it years to be a mainstream currency.
cizatext

Activity: 952
Merit: 41

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:29:39 PM

mon·ey (noun)

---

The above definitions are one sided and not wide enough to cover other aspects that accommodate both bitcoin/cryptocurrency and gold because aside currency being defined as a medium of exchange in a particular country, what about the definition that state a currency as any thing that is use to make payment for goods and services?
Black Angel

Activity: 574
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:44:28 PM

Bitcoin is the currency
I think it can be said both, money and currency, this is because all the functions of money and currency can we get with bitcoin, and of course with bitcoin we can get many advantages and that is mainly the value that continues to grow.
jmiro1

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:57:23 PM

Currency is the medium of exchange. But money is different. The way I see it, anything with value is money. We all know that Time is money. It's a 100% truth. Your asset is kind of money. Any useful currency is undoubtedly money. BTC or Bitcoin was supposed to be a currency. But I don't think we have reached there yet. Now Bitcoin is only money, soon it will be both.
jpnl0008

Activity: 364
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 07:21:18 PM

Different people see Bitcoin differently.

Depends what is your interest in Bitcoin and what are you looking to achieve. How you utilise the cryptocurrency.

If you are paying for things in Bitcoin, you are using it as money. If you see it as a store of value that can beat inflation, you probably see it as an asset class similar to gold and so on.

Bitcoin is a completely digital currency that is independent of any banks or governments, using its own decentralized technology for securing payments and storing money.
nowlscor18

Activity: 282
Merit: 11

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:33:25 PM

mon·ey (noun)

---

My friend bitcoin is a currency because we have i a world of crypto and bitcoin is a king of all coins.But we consider also as a money after we converted bitcoin into fiat.

Betheng10

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 11:47:28 PM

Both of course. Although bitcoin has no medium compared to fiat which is either coin or paper.

It's a system of e-money where it can be used for online transactions.

Bobocantik

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 01:45:54 AM

Bitcoin is a currency Which we transact payment through online. It is different from fiat money because the uses of bitcoin as currency is to have a faster and easiest way in terms of payment then also it contains investment which it has a possible to grow.
Simone18

Activity: 85

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 02:44:09 AM

BOTH! Its a crypto-CURRENCY that is used as money.
Agree mate it is both crypto currency and money, as you can read it in google bitcoin define as a currency and for me it turn to money when we change it to fiat but what is important to me and hooked to bitcoin because of the benefits that I can get.

[   M O Z O  -  The Token of Discovery   ]   //  Whitepaper  //
               ►►  JOIN NOW  ◄◄   US$ 26M of US$ 42M already RAISED!               
Facebook  .  Twitter  .  Telegram  .  Medium  .  Reddit  .  Youtube  .  ANN Thread
King Sastro

Activity: 630
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 03:20:10 AM

Bitcoin is a currency Which we transact payment through online. It is different from fiat money because the uses of bitcoin as currency is to have a faster and easiest way in terms of payment then also it contains investment which it has a possible to grow.
Can be said like that, even for any comparison of course bitcoin better than currency, no doubt that transaction with bitcoin is very fast but with very cheap cost.

PRIMEXCOIN
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
airdrophunter

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

The Exchange for EOS Community

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 05:38:23 AM

As i have known, money can make you buy anything (where money can buy) you like. In the case of bitcoin, it's a digital currency that makes you buy food or pay for the services rendered to you. So i think bitcoin is currency and is also a money.

|   EOS Exchange   |▌       The Exchange for the EOS Community!       |   EOSex   |
                          ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                          
Whitepaper                 ANN Thread                 Telegram                 Twitter                 Mobile
Allura74

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 06:07:07 AM

As i have known, money can make you buy anything (where money can buy) you like. In the case of bitcoin, it's a digital currency that makes you buy food or pay for the services rendered to you. So i think bitcoin is currency and is also a money.
Even if bitcoin is not totally a currency but still it have a digital value convertible to any true currency, it can be use to purchase goods and services therefore its a kind of money or an online money circulated over the internet.

Bratecon

Activity: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 06:45:51 AM

It is not a currency because it does not hold  the value because it is so volatile.
CoinstarF

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:52:15 AM

Your quoted defintions suck don't they.  

Money is "monnaie", coming from "Juno Moneta":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneta

This word has a little bit of history pointing towards a "State" interpretation, which depending on what that means to you it might suggest bitcoin is not really money.  Some have certainly claimed so and this is a defensible claim in the context of it not being coinage of a Romanesque State-claiming apparatus.  

On the other hand, in common English money has taken more of a general usage, (i.e. the money shot, "that was money", "what's up money?", etc.)  and as such is more often taken to mean any exchange commodity.  Because any and all things could be used as exchange commodities, we could therefore argue that bitcoin is an effective money.  Context is important here going between the different meanings.  

As to currency, this implies a "running" or a flow, meaning that many people use it.  Cigarettes are therefore currency in some places but not in others.  Bitcoin is currency insomuch as (if) there is a large community of people using it as an exchange commodity.  

Bitcoin is just like a large amount of money that we want to use anything as we wanted to and exchange in the process of  curriencies to make it faster and convenient to the user itself.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: