Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:23:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [*] 8BIT [Dark Masternodes][Anon][Roadmap Stage 4]  (Read 379544 times)
brakmic

Activity: 461
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2019, 07:54:29 PM

As promised, the new version with peer table widget is now available:

https://github.com/8bit-crypto/8bit-reboot/releases/tag/v2.2.2.0

ACTINIUM ➢✈✅[No Premine]✅[No ICO]✅[Fair Launch]✈★
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2xjO9M3P

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2019, 08:11:27 PM

As promised, the new version with peer table widget is now available:

https://github.com/8bit-crypto/8bit-reboot/releases/tag/v2.2.2.0

Thanks. Using Autotools solved my compile issue, and I finally got your version running
Tribe Fonzie

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2019, 08:32:22 PM

First: I never expected this project to be picked up by a dev anymore. So thank you for your time and energy!

I tried to compile the new wallet on Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop with QT5, but while running ./configure I get:

Code:
checking for RAND_egd in -lcrypto... no
configure: error: Detected LibreSSL: This is NOT supported, and may break consensus compatibility!

Is this to be expected  as I'm running on 18.04 instead of 16.04, or is it a bug?
I know 18.04 is running libssl 1.1.0, while 16.04 uses 1.0 and 1.1.0 is sometimes seen as LibreSSL
brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2019, 08:37:08 PM

First: I never expected this project to be picked up by a dev anymore. So thank you for your time and energy!

I tried to compile the new wallet on Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop with QT5, but while running ./configure I get:

Code:
checking for RAND_egd in -lcrypto... no
configure: error: Detected LibreSSL: This is NOT supported, and may break consensus compatibility!

Is this to be expected  as I'm running on 18.04 instead of 16.04, or is it a bug?
I know 18.04 is running libssl 1.1.0, while 16.04 uses 1.0 and 1.1.0 is sometimes seen as LibreSSL

You're welcome!

Just install libssl1.0-dev and you're good to go!

brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2019, 07:32:52 AM

Important info for Linux users:

If you end up with errors about missing -fPIC flag, please, pull the latest changes from github.
Then repeat the process with: ./autogen.sh, ./configure and make.

This only affects users who want to compile the desktop variant of 8bit.

brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2019, 08:26:42 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2019, 07:16:34 PM by brakmic

A fresh bootstrap.dat is now available from our home page.

Here the direct link: https://mega.nz/#!uOQmAYRZ!eL61XXX-CX3x8beVDVfWii2Q2Gro5MZb1fv2FWTYsuY

SHA1(8bit-bootstrap.tar.gz)= 92c7fab87db5b06c90977471eec6409dce9496c5

File is packed as tar.gz. Use 7zip to unpack when running on Windows.

brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2019, 12:26:13 PM

A new release is now available that fixes these problems:

• Compilation of Qt sources for Linux
  • Reading of masternode.conf when running in GUI mode

Downloads, as always, via our home page or from GitHub.

Cheers,

drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
May 03, 2019, 08:29:39 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2019, 04:44:39 PM by drays

Cheers,

If I remember right, masternode.conf was never read, neither in daemon, nor in GUI mode. Did you fix it to be read in GUI mode only, or in daemon mode too?

In any case, you do an awesome work. I have worked with hundreds of developers of different levels, and I believe I can spot a good professional when I see it. You tick many boxes in my book. Thanks for joining (basically picking up) this project!

Apart of the work you do, I have few random thoughts to share (I might be the oldest follower of this coin, so I know a lot of its stormy history, though I hope most of it is not relevant anymore):

1. This coin used to have an amazing ability to attract community. It did it 2-3 times already, after being almost completely abandoned few times. I attribute that ability to the 8BIT-console theme, but there could be other reasons I am not aware about too. One of the generations was really brilliant and resourceful, but it was lost unfortunately. I hope we can attract more people again, or maybe some of the oldest members could look here again and have an input.

2. While at the first glance it seems there are not many active community members here, the coin doesn't look abandoned however - when we look at network stats. Somebody (maybe many people, but maybe just one-two entities) are running big amount of nodes, both masternode and staking ones. The number of staking coins is crazy high (for a seemingly semi-abandoned coin). It looks nearly like if someone knew this coin would be picked up by a dev (I don't imply anything here Wink)... I suppose we have at least one really big whale here. I hope he will contact you (if he didn't, already).

3. I see you are planning to upgrade the 8bit codebase, instead of doing a coin-swap to a completely new and already-upgraded coinbase. I completely agree this is the best approach, when it comes to good crypto practices, but something tells me this could be a huge and very complex task, as the existing codebase is really old (and baggy). I had a chance to look at the code when making few small changes for myself, and found the code quality was.. well... a bit frightening, to put it mildly. So while I really love the quirky nature of 8bit code and blockchain, I am a bit unsure we can go far by making modifications to it. Are you sure upgrading it is a best way to forward? Again, I would love to leave the existing chain and codebase, but it will create huge and complicating work for you, so I just wanted to make sure you are aware Smiley

Well, these are just few random thoughts... Thanks again for your work. It looks like 8BIT's ability to attract people has brought it a really good dev. Keep it up, and lets see where this goes.

... this space is not for rent ...
brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2019, 10:11:53 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2019, 11:16:28 PM by brakmic

Cheers,

If I remember right, masternode.conf was never read, neither in daemon, nor in GUI mode. Did you fix it to be read in GUI mode only, or in daemon mode too?

It was surprising to me to discover it, at least when compared to other masternode coins. So I activated it. Nothing exceptional, just a small piece of code that reads the content of masternode.conf so one can execute commands like start-alias, start-many, list-conf etc.

It reads masternode.conf in both daemon and GUI mode.

In any case, you do an awesome work. I have worked with hundreds of developers of different levels, and I believe I can spot a good professional when I see it. You tick many boxes in my book. Thanks for joining (basically picking up) this project!

Many thanks. But I think I am a little too late to the party. I should have contacted the people two years ago.

Apart of the work you do, I have few random thoughts to share (I might be the oldest follower of this coin, so I know a lot of its stormy history, though I hope most of it is not relevant anymore):

1. This coin used to have an amazing ability to attract community. It did it 2-3 times already, after being almost completely abandoned few times. I attribute that ability to the 8BIT-console theme, but there could be other reasons I am not aware about too. One of the generations was really brilliant and resourceful, but it was lost unfortunately. I hope we can attract more people again, or maybe some of the oldest members could look here again and have an input.

I too think it's because of the 8BIT-hardware theme. The preferred Generation X playground, so to speak.

2. Regardless of the fact there seems to be not many active community members, the coin doesn't look abandoned, when we look at stats. Somebody (maybe many people, but maybe just one-two entities) are running big amount of nodes, both masternode and staking ones. The number of staking coins is crazy high, for a semi-abandoned coin. It looks nearly like if someone knew this coin would be picked up by a dev (I don't imply anything here Wink)... I suppose we have at least one really big whale here. I hope he will contact you (if he didn't, already).

So far only two guys from the discord chat talked with me, but only technical stuff. No whale-contact. I got one donation, so not sure if this was a whale. Maybe, maybe not.

3. I see you are planning to upgrade the 8bit codebase, instead of doing a coin-swap to a completely new and already-upgraded coinbase. I completely agree this is the best approach, when it comes to good crypto practices, but something tells me this could be a huge and very complex task, as the existing codebase is really old (and baggy).

Yes, this was the initial plan, but because the code base is not only very old but also has mixed very different and (meanwhile) "dead" coins a real software-upgrade is actually not possible. At least not a gradual one, which would be my preferred way of doing upgrades.

I had a chance to look at the code when making few small changes for myself, and found the code quality was.. well... a bit frightening, to put it mildly.

This is the difference between copy/paste-code and understand/integrate-code. And yes, it is frightening.

So while I really love the quirky nature of 8bit code and blockchain, I am a bit unsure we can go far by making modifications to it. Are you sure upgrading it is a best way to forward?

Sadly, it isn't.

Not after I have analyzed all of the code. I have looked into every file, every header and source file.

For example, only to implement a Chain-abstraction class (called CChain) would need to touch over 60% of the code. And the positive effect would be minor. It's basically a helper class that gives some nice goodies like Chain-Tip, Height, BlockHash etc. However, without this nice abstraction class one must remain with those gruesome globally available variables like nBestHeight or pindexBest etc.

Original Bitcoin code sucked a lot, but it was the only thing people had at this time.

Btw. Why didn't the Bcash fans actually fork the "original Satoshi" code? I mean, they're much into "tradition" etc.  Grin

Again, I would love to leave the existing chain and codebase, but it will create huge and complicating work for you, so I just wanted to make sure you are aware Smiley

Well, I could try to continue with copy/paste code just to prove the theory that "it is possible indeed", but such things are only good for one's ego, imo. Especially younger software developers like to show off their "skills". But I, being old enough, think that honesty and openness count more than any real or imagined "skill set".

It neither makes sense to make people promises nor it makes sense to fulfil those by following copy/paste practices.

We already have enough of that code, not only in cryptosphere. I too have written lots of bad code that still barely runs in....different institutions  Cheesy

Well, these are just few random thoughts... Thanks again for your work. It looks like 8BIT ability to attract people has brought it a really good dev. Keep it up, and lets see where this goes.

Thanks again.

I hope we can make something out of this coin. Maybe we should do a coin swap. But what it's really needed are people genuinely interested in the coin. So far there aren't that many of them here, but we have time I think.

Cheers,

mastertrader777
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2019, 05:31:09 PM

Lets see what comes about here...
brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2019, 06:03:57 PM

It seems not much is happening here. This is sad, but was to be expected.
Well, the explorer at https://explorer.8bit.cash is currently generating an index of the last five years so this coin will at least have a tool for checking transactions.
Will take some time until complete, maybe a week or so.

brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2019, 06:05:28 PM

I have also contacted the admin of TradeOgre and presented this project.
Didn't get an answer so far, but if there were more people asking for a listing 8bit would maybe have a chance.

drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 07:34:25 PM

Well, the explorer at https://explorer.8bit.cash is currently generating an index of the last five years so this coin will at least have a tool for checking transactions.

8BIT chain is huge, so a week or two is indeed realistic expectation, depending on the power of VPS  you use

As to not much happening - yes, the community here is beat-up a bit, and many people check the thread rarely (as nothing happened for very long time). Also there is a general problem with Bitcointalk being gradually abandoned by its old community Undecided. I see many older members not logging in anymore, or checking rarely but not posting. The troll attacks on Bitcointalk scared away most of its old members - those who actually made it great once. There are some steps from Theymos to improve this, lets see how it goes. In any case, with current state, it could take weeks or even months to spark up an interest. I'll try to ping few of the older members who were really helping in the past.

Please just don't give up. I don't really know what keeps me on this coin, and why I really like it, but I do (as crazy as it seems - "liking a coin" sounds ... strange Grin ), and I am sure I am not the only one. Slow and steady wins the race Smiley

... this space is not for rent ...
brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2019, 07:54:53 PM

8BIT chain is huge, so a week or two is indeed realistic expectation, depending on the power of VPS  you use

As to not much happening - yes, the community here is beat-up a bit, and many people check the thread rarely (as nothing happened for very long time). Also there is a general problem with Bitcointalk being gradually abandoned by its old community Undecided. I see many older members not logging in anymore, or checking rarely but not posting. The troll attacks on Bitcointalk scared away most of its old members - those who actually made it great once. There are some steps from Theymos to improve this, lets see how it goes. In any case, with current state, it could take weeks or even months to spark up an interest. I'll try to ping few of the older members who were really helping in the past.

Please just don't give up. I don't really know what keeps me on this coin, and why I really like it, but I do (as crazy as it seems - "liking a coin" sounds ... strange Grin ), and I am sure I am not the only one. Slow and steady wins the race Smiley

No, I won't give up on this coin. At least not that easily. Of course everyone has an individual "deadline" so in the end it'll really depend on more than one person if something like a crypto project should have a future or not.

So far my only motivation to complete previous tasks was a simple curiosity to see "if I can make it".

Cheers,

Pon13

Activity: 670
Merit: 130

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 06:03:42 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2019, 06:20:17 AM by Pon13

I am currently moving the old Qt-project based compilation stuff to the much better and more flexible autogen/configure/make.

In future the compilation will be the same of any platform:

Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-gui=qt5
./make

For now you will have to stick with the 8bit.pro Qt-project file.

I was able to successfully compile the daemon and there will also be a separate 8bit-cli so you, guys, don't have to (mis)use the daemon "8bitd" to execute console-based commands.

So, instead of, for example:

Code:
8bitd getblockbynumber

it will be:

Code:
8bit-cli getblockbynumber

hi brakmic,

i git cloned 8bit-reboot, did the ./autogen.sh
when i exec the next command ./configure --with-gui=qt5 i get this error
Code:
configure: error: Found Berkeley DB other than 4.8, required for portable wallets (--with-incompatible-bdb to ignore or --disable-wallet to disable wallet functionality)
Any suggestions? Should i try to compile with ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb ??

EDIT: i continued with ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb && make
and we'll see how it goes in a bit

Bill Hicks was right about....everything
brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 07:09:22 AM

I am currently moving the old Qt-project based compilation stuff to the much better and more flexible autogen/configure/make.

In future the compilation will be the same of any platform:

Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-gui=qt5
./make

For now you will have to stick with the 8bit.pro Qt-project file.

I was able to successfully compile the daemon and there will also be a separate 8bit-cli so you, guys, don't have to (mis)use the daemon "8bitd" to execute console-based commands.

So, instead of, for example:

Code:
8bitd getblockbynumber

it will be:

Code:
8bit-cli getblockbynumber

hi brakmic,

i git cloned 8bit-reboot, did the ./autogen.sh
when i exec the next command ./configure --with-gui=qt5 i get this error
Code:
configure: error: Found Berkeley DB other than 4.8, required for portable wallets (--with-incompatible-bdb to ignore or --disable-wallet to disable wallet functionality)
Any suggestions? Should i try to compile with ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb ??

EDIT: i continued with ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb && make
and we'll see how it goes in a bit

You need a BDB 4.8 or you risk of having an incompatible variant.
It depends on your OS if there are default packages of BDB or if you should compile them manually.
There is also a link to a mini tutorial on how to compile a BDB4.8. Just scroll down a bit.

Better to follow the doc than to risk any incompatibility.

Pon13

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 08:26:00 AM

hmm i followed this https://github.com/8bit-crypto/8bit-reboot/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md#berkeley-db

i did a ./configure --with-gui=qt5 LDFLAGS="-L${BDB_PREFIX}/lib/" CPPFLAGS="-I${BDB_PREFIX}/include/"
and now i'm getting this when doing make
Code:
make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src'
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src/secp256k1'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src/secp256k1'
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoingui.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoinunits.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-clientmodel.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-csvmodelwriter.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-guiutil.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-masternodemanager.o
In file included from qt/masternodemanager.cpp:2:0:
./qt/forms/ui_masternodemanager.h:13:25: fatal error: QtGui/QAction: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:4819: recipe for target 'qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-masternodemanager.o' failed
make[2]: *** [qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-masternodemanager.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src'
Makefile:6050: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src'
Makefile:581: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

If i do ./configure LDFLAGS="-L${BDB_PREFIX}/lib/" CPPFLAGS="-I${BDB_PREFIX}/include/"
and then make
i get the following

Code:
 GEN      qt/overviewpage.moc
  GEN      qt/rpcconsole.moc
  CXX      qt/qt_8bit_qt-bitcoin.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-aboutdialog.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bantablemodel.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoinaddressvalidator.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoinamountfield.o
  CXX      qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoingui.o
qt/bitcoingui.cpp:63:21: fatal error: QScroller: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:4749: recipe for target 'qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoingui.o' failed
make[2]: *** [qt/qt_libbitcoinqt_a-bitcoingui.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src'
Makefile:6050: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pon/8bit-reboot/src'
Makefile:581: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

hmmmmm what the heeellll feeling a bit useless

brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 08:44:24 AM

It seems you have a problem with your Qt installation. I hope you have followed the tutorial and installed all the packages.

Pon13

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 08:50:48 AM

It seems you have a problem with your Qt installation. I hope you have followed the tutorial and installed all the packages.

yup did that. i'll make a fresh install of ubuntu and try again cause i have other nodes running in this machine along with 8bit and i dont want to destroy everything.
thanks for your answers.  Grin

brakmic

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 08:52:35 AM

yup did that. i'll make a fresh install of ubuntu and try again cause i have other nodes running in this machine along with 8bit and i dont want to destroy everything.
thanks for your answers.  Grin

You're welcome. A few days ago I had another Ubuntu user in the discord who wanted to compile a wallet and it worked, so I assume there is either a path problem (configure simply can't find your Qt5 install) or you have some packages missing. There are certain configure flags where you can manually enter all those paths. Type "configure --help" for more info.

Good luck!

Pages: « 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 310 »
  Print  

Jump to: