Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:40:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 [446] 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382134 times)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 10:48:56 PM

that complicates it ..but generally...IF there is not a robust network for sia's vision in place to use these ASIC's then they will also be in a bad place

just a month or so behind...I just see no action on how they plan to compete against Amazon on their decentralized 10c to $1 Amazon giant....

deafening silence...thus looks to me like a crap load of ASIC's will hit...w/o any real purpose...and the price will tank also if their vision is 'postponed' or not

in place for the 'glut' as you point out of hash hitting on blake2b

you can't have it both ways...if price now is due to scarcity and also the anticipation of their vision..and the major investment of $$$  that people speculated

on with the ASIC's too boot...well it is step up of fail

or how I see it

on the other hand for what you paid for one of these puppies and what I paid for obelisks' last year with high priced BTC...as far as just holding crypto

wise we probably are even....just from that timing situation and last years price

Vision?  What vision?  The vision to become another ASIC maker for any shill with enough money to pay them?  The Obelisk home page says it all.

What the hell does any of that have to do with a decentralized file storage solution?  Or is Vorrick the next Elon Musk -- meaning he can tackle three projects at once while surviving on a diet of ambien and wine in the evenings while he blogs?

There are two coins that I think will fail hard despite a very promising opening pitch:  Zcash and SeeYah Coin.

SeeYah Coin will never compete with Amazon.  Go back to the whiny, self-righteous, and downright dishonest postings that came out when the A3 arrived a few months ago.  Then ask yourself:  is this the crew that is going to take on and get the better of Mr. Relentless?

I don't think so.

Has the first DOA Obelisk shipped yet?  I stopped checking because it really doesn't matter.  Oh, wait, they are pretty compared to an Antminer.  That should count for something, right?

Sorry for the rant, it's not directed at you -- but "vision" and SIA/Obelisk in the same posting just sets me off.

The single biggest regret of my entire Crypto experience is buying that Obelisk batch 2 miner back in January.  Which still hasn't shown up as of days away from July.

yeah....as soon as sia-tech did not fork to protect their decentralized storage solution to supposedly compete against Amazon Cloud at 10c to the $1.00, well

I knew then I was pretty much screwed. Bitmain had a track record of pumping out ASIC units like toasters and proved especially true for blake2b

So, w/o a fork and in conjunction with that the decentralized storage solution ready to hit the ground running to compete against centralized cloud hosting

I don't see the two jiving in time...even if they did decide to fork and put emphasis on the sia-tech network vs speculative coin price based (IMHO) more

on 'scarcity' then their sia-tech network vision...

would like to be wrong

but a lot of 'deafening silence' on the above issues...so figure I just have 5 doorstops and will move on...with the high price of btc last year and the fact

that I needed the tax benefits (was in 41% last year I would have paid the IRS and State combined anyway) add the 25% equip deduction (squished in 1 yr

vs 5 years) and what that is 66% so I took a 33% loss on the above...toss in the high price of coin..which is down more than 33% which I would have

been in HODL mode anyway (still am) ...I am calling it a wash...but then again MAKING at least 33% back on an ASIC machine ...seemed like a  pretty

good bet..but alas, they choked on the fork and bitmain ran them into the ground...

whatever....the 33% would have been lost in the BTC price anyway in that I've been in crypto since 2013 so kinda locked in HODL mode live or die

still annoying ...even if my 'supposed' rationalizations are correct...just 'erks' me ..I've gotten 'dubious' ASIC's before ..used or otherwise...that AT LEAST

could make 33% of what they cost before they puked...which I could call even...but these won't even come out of the box it seems by mid-July 2018 at

current sia-coin prices ..which I expect to dump further on the Obelisk's hitting the world

currently, IF I had an obelisk SC-1 up at this moment I would make 19c a day over electric....I assume these ASIC's hitting the world will not help this price.

Again, leave the Obelisk units in the cardboard box, unopened, for easier use as doorstops...the cardboard lets you move them easier.

Also, to those saying those 'greedy' ASIC buyers...sia-tech made the case they were needed for the decentralized network...they could not just count

on merge mining siacoin off GPU's go get scale and be taken seriously....they needed the 'secure' ASIC network of machines to be taken seriously...

I (dumb) bought that argument and was planning to mine/HODL and see the network succeed first...alas that boat sailed when they let Bitmain

ride over them....IF they really did have (as they said) in the ASIC chip to 'tweak' to a fork in case bitmain played games (so they say) which I have

my doubts...likely they could not fork the ASIC thus had to be run over by bitmain with no hope...

anyway, at worst I suffered a 33% loss vs the tax man with 2018 IRS equipment deduction at 4.11 BTC for 5 units..that means say...I lost 1.11 BTC say at the price

last year of 5K ..I'm a bit over that...at least I can rationalize my 'silliness' in HODL mode (another problem I have in 20/20 hindsight)

anyway, so it goes....bound to go one ASIC too far from 2013 anyway....so 2018 is my end game...no more data halls or big miner (scrypt-pow)...hell

was happier as a hobby ASIC miner with just a couple in the basement anyway...but I mean really....get the units and they are NOT even going to

be worth taking out of the box? sheesh.....at 19c a day .not worth the PSU to run them (which they supposedly still say they are providing..unless

I missed a memo) ....so.......ie...new in box doorstops or ASIC wall art...

so 33% loss...with them never to run...or if I probably would have been in HODL mode anyway...call it even..pick your rationalization (i've been doing

that quite often with my HODL mode since 18k BTC and now 5.9 BTC....(hey, picking the wrong horse, it's a gift!) Sad  FML

later

brad

p.s. anyone who wants to redirect me to the unicorns/rainbows/and fairies...feel free...I'd love to be frigging wrong ..but the reality is I REALLY can't see

even bothering to turn these own....IF they come with PSU's would make more sense to leave them in the box and sell the PSU's on eBay instead...I mean

really, really would make more sense to do that...sheesh...

IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE TECHNOLOGY THEN KICK ROCKS NOOB ===>

I TALKED TO THE DEVELOPER OF SIA FOR 3 HOURS THE OTHER DAY ~ EVEN WHEN I EXPLICITLY SHOW YOU OUR NEW PROJECT PEOPLE LIKE YOU CONTINUE TO IGNORE THE OBVIOUS I'M GLAD YOU GREEDY MINER GOTTI STUCK HODLING THE BAG YOU ARE A GREEDY RAT BASTARD Wink LOL

==>

https://freiexchange.com/market/BTI/BTC

hmmmm.... my point is...IF THERE IS NO NETWORK FOR THE ASIC's when they arrive..then there is no sia-tech vision and decentralized network that can work

(according to them they needed asic's for this to work) ...so if that is the case...they just flat out lied...took the BTC and this is a long con...

IF they have a network in place...even if the ASIC's only make enough to take care of electric (even on paper and the miner's HODL) then it will gain steam..

my point is you can't have it both ways and say

1) the price of siacoin does not matter in that it is based on scarcity (now no asic's) and the potential viewpoint of a network (not in place as they said it would be)

or

2) the ASIC folk investing in your equipment *upfront* on a promise that the network you have a vision for is in place..thus again ... no way forward that way either

so if you have the ASIC network go up you have then proved your decentralized vision for storage exists...if NO ASIC's up then sia-tech proves it either was a scam

to sell equipment ...or that they can't follow through on the vision..thus either 1) or 2) when the ASIC's hit the world from Obelisk..means this coin goes no place.

IF again, they have a working network and the ASIC's plug in to such and thru such a promotion the promise is kept..then folk will buy into this storage

solution and it all works..but without that ...anyone wanting to use this service just sees the ASIC fail and back to GPU miners and they walk...

again, you promise something and don't deliver ..there are consequences

yeah, greedy miner indeed....not even talking about ROI at this point...just talking about enough electric (on paper even if I HODL) to justify turning them on

with no one saying anything about ASIC incorporation into the sia-tech network in 2 weeks when 'supposedly' the units arrive...wtf am I supposed to think?

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 11:04:44 PM

hmmmm.... my point is...IF THERE IS NO NETWORK FOR THE ASIC's when they arrive..then there is no sia-tech vision and decentralized network that can work

(according to them they needed asic's for this to work) ...so if that is the case...they just flat out lied...took the BTC and this is a long con...

IF they have a network in place...even if the ASIC's only make enough to take care of electric (even on paper and the miner's HODL) then it will gain steam..

1) the price of siacoin does not matter in that it is based on scarcity (now no asic's) and the potential viewpoint of a network (not in place as they said it would be)

or

2) the ASIC folk investing in your equipment *upfront* on a promise that the network you have a vision for is in place..thus again ... no way forward that way either

so if you have the ASIC network go up you have then proved your decentralized vision for storage exists...if NO ASIC's up then sia-tech proves it either was a scam

to sell equipment ...or that they can't follow through on the vision..thus either 1) or 2) when the ASIC's hit the world from Obelisk..means this coin goes no place.

IF again, they have a working network and the ASIC's plug in to such and thru such a promotion the promise is kept..then folk will buy into this storage

solution and it all works..but without that ...anyone wanting to use this service just sees the ASIC fail and back to GPU miners and they walk...

yeah, greedy miner indeed....not even talking about ROI at this point...just talking about enough electric (on paper even if I HODL) to justify turning them on

with no one saying anything about ASIC incorporation into the sia-tech network in 2 weeks when 'supposedly' the units arrive...wtf am I supposed to think?

brad

Too many words too many times to say something so simple:

you took a gamble buying Obelisk...you lost...life is not fair
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 03:18:27 AM

or

brad

Too many words too many times to say something so simple:

you took a gamble buying Obelisk...you lost...life is not fair

ah but you miss my point...I'm not talking about ROI on my unit now...I'm talking about electric to run my unit on the 'supposed' network they are supposed

to have in place..without the ASIC's siacoin won't survive..because 1) they said they needed it for their decentralized storage solution and network..if that is

not the case then the current 'speculative' price on sia coin is that this network would be viable and exist..is not..siacoin is just another sh*tcoin.

As to the obelisk's yeah. I  took a chance...with the 41% I would have had to pay the IRS and State Taxes last year instead and the 25% equip deduction

on top of that I would have paid in taxes anyway (if you paid taxes on crypto) that is 66% ....so I lost 34%...now I ASSUMED that I could mine SOME on

the Obelisk machines...but to not even turn them on? You expect siacoin to survive if they made 5 batches of Obelisk runs and NONE of them can even

make enough on electric to turn them on...not saying making your money back or ROI ..just run them vs electric to try to bootstrap the network...even

that won't work...naw....if they can't pull off a network at even that level..then the coin is doomed....unless you can have sh*tcoins and people HODL

when there usage as a decentralized storage solution at 10c on the $1 vs Amazon Cloud centralized service is taken away....if that is the case it is

just a Paycoin scam....deliberate or just failure to pull it off....the coin can't recover from 5 batches of ASIC's and promises not kept, again IMHO.

Again, this is IF THEY DON'T GET THE ASIC's up when they arrive on their network in some kinda manner to cover AT LEAST the electric to run them

and some extra coin....at LEAST if electric and some extra coin covered...the ASIC's could go into HODL mode on siacoin and float and see what happens.

As it is now, without even being able to recover monthly electric from mining ASIC's and you can't go back to GPU's (so they say) then I don't see

how the coin can survive.... regardless of my 34% lose about $3,181.27....in that it was ALL paid for with last years HIGH BTC prices...big whoop,

I would have HODL mode anyway, it is likely a wash as a result. Comes out to 1.11 BTC vs IRS and Equip Deduction. Big whoop. HODL of that I'd still be down 3k.

But, I mean really, you can't even get the frigging network up to handle the ASIC' that siacoin obelisk 5 batches SOLD>..

as to ...bitmain units are way out of this at 1,375 watts vs obelisks 500

watts... so that is not the issue anymore..but really? Can't support the network with your own equipment this month?

It was/is there call now and their product....to not be able to deliver now...I'd not be HODL on siacoin now!

If you are in HODL mode for siacoin, I'd be a watching how this plays out...you may have to dump, 2 weeks and counting (unless a delay) on ASIC's.

Again, they can't have it both ways. They have 5 batches of these out there. If they can't mine to even break even on electric, no one will turn them on.

Thus again, no decentralized network to compete against Amazon Cloud centralized network at the prices they quote and the network they said they need.

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
lysr

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 08:10:56 AM

Why is the Sia Blockchain the slowest and longest to synchronize or... anything? and can we expect some improvements for a more fluid user interface?
Spooknow

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 09:09:34 AM

Currently there is no cap on the number of Siacoins that are or will be available. what is the logic behind that?

Logic is that it would get burned by usage...and we're probably far from the moment when burn rate
comes close or even surpass mining rate

That is, the price will fall if you think economically. Increasing the number of coins in circulation without strong market growth and increasing the number of investors and users leads to the fact that in a few months it will be more profitable to buy than now?
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 09:47:59 AM

Currently there is no cap on the number of Siacoins that are or will be available. what is the logic behind that?

Logic is that it would get burned by usage...and we're probably far from the moment when burn rate

That is, the price will fall if you think economically. Increasing the number of coins in circulation without strong market growth and increasing the number of investors and users leads to the fact that in a few months it will be more profitable to buy than now?

We can't know anything for sure...next day Netflix could decide to run on SC and we all become millionaires

Chances are slim, of course, but most crypto are at similar stage
im_not_dazzled

Activity: 325
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 10:06:50 AM

Hi should I transfer my SC to wallet to take the benefit or exchange is supporting the airdrop??

as far as i know, no exchange supports this snapshot.
the Siacoins have to be on the own Sia wallet
Which airdrop did you both discussed?
And how to make snapshot to receive airdrop?
Thanks.
raoulsergia

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 10:29:13 AM

Hi should I transfer my SC to wallet to take the benefit or exchange is supporting the airdrop??

Thanks.

I want to know too, when is the airdrop snapshot? I have been holding for SIA onexchange for almost 2 years now since the old wallet was so unsable and i even lost some coins
Which is the best wallet now?
cygan
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 7806

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2018, 10:53:52 AM

Thanks.

I want to know too, when is the airdrop snapshot? I have been holding for SIA onexchange for almost 2 years now since the old wallet was so unsable and i even lost some coins
Which is the best wallet now?

please check this homepage

https://hspace.app/airdrop

this is the official homepage from the HyperSpace project which do this hardfork/snapshot with SC

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Spooknow

Merit: 253

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 01:37:44 PM

We can't know anything for sure...next day Netflix could decide to run on SC and we all become millionaires

The fact that other projects are not in the best condition is true, but I still hope that this project will give its profit and realize what is invested in it. Part of my portfolio in it and I think that decentralized storage is a promising investment.
Cryptocurrencies News
Copper Member

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:37:19 PM

Sia Community Update — June 2018

https://blog.sia.tech/sia-community-update-june-2018-b6b1a16fba2

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 09:55:46 PM

People wonder why I'm paranoid they know what they are doing. Nothing about Obelisk Units coming out in the middle of July supposedly, and how they are to be

incorporated into the network. Just saying. Same company.

goldart

Merit: 122

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:10:41 PM

The fact that other projects are not in the best condition is true, but I still hope that this project will give its profit and realize what is invested in it. Part of my portfolio in it and I think that decentralized storage is a promising investment.
The storage based on the block technology, it will be a very convenient way of storage. I believe in the future of Sia coin. but due to lack of their advertisement strategy SiaCoin is lagging behind.
niteuser

Activity: 19

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 01:39:35 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2018, 05:33:45 PM by niteuser

The Obelisk Units should have been in the update, yet again this management team is disappointing its customers.

The partnership with clearos is really good, except I really don't think clearos is going to be able to compromise with this management the way it is, knowing they cant even code simple file sharing or even copy and paste another coins working UI since its launch a long time ago.

Edited to dumb it down: Im happy its code is being copied and better teams will pick up while (sia) continue to take LONG A$$ TIME to release anything worthwhile. They will be left behind as space dust.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 02:29:50 AM

The Obelisk Units should have been in the update, yet again this management team is disappointing its customers.

The partnership with clearos is really good, except I really don't think clearos is going to be able to compromise with this management the way it is, knowing they cant even code simple file sharing or even copy and paste another coins working UI since its launch a long time ago.

Im happy its being forked.....

er, confused? sia-coin is being 'forked' (damn, if true did not see that coming if true)

again, confused? link? I assume you mean just a hard fork to the code, and the algo will remain the same?

(damn, I really want the algo to fork, so that just Obelisk work on a new algo for the sia-tech network.....but that is not gonna happen...)

thanks

brad

bgblevins

Activity: 45

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 05:06:01 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2018, 03:18:52 AM by bgblevins

Poloniex has had the wallet for Siacoin down for wks now. Have ben trying to put Siacoin on the Ui Wallet. Now Siacoin is frozen on Poloniex. So if there was a fork I was not able to move my coins. Guess I'll find out later lol....
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 06:34:13 PM

Im happy its being forked.....

er, confused? sia-coin is being 'forked' (damn, if true did not see that coming if true)

again, confused? link? I assume you mean just a hard fork to the code, and the algo will remain the same?

(damn, I really want the algo to fork, so that just Obelisk work on a new algo for the sia-tech network.....but that is not gonna happen...)

thanks

brad

A different organization is forking off of SC, read more about it here: https://hspace.app/airdrop 

raske

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 08:16:05 AM

there will be no classic hard forks on SC, this is a snapshot of the Sia blockchain, that will be taken at block 161358
You all SC hodlers will recive in the SPACE on a ratio of 10 Siacoin (SC) to 1 Space Cash (SPACE)
shamman666

Activity: 108

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 10:44:42 AM

our coin dies !!!!!!!!!! the problem with the wallet.
 and long transfers all scares.
shamman666

Activity: 108

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 03:40:25 PM

Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority or banks; managing transactions and the issuing of bitcoins is carried out collectively by the network. Bitcoin is open-source; its design is public, nobody owns or controls Bitcoin and everyone can take part. Through many of its unique properties, Bitcoin allows exciting uses that could not be covered by any previous payment system.
so? what did you mean by that?
Pages: « 1 ... 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 [446] 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: