Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:33:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 [459] 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382134 times)
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 06:36:41 AM

Sorry, small issues (kinda yet) Smiley

1) 10-15x of more siacoin that they expected is in the wind, when they thought they'd be the only blake2b

ASIC at this point in time,  much, much, more than they needed for the supposed

You still think number of coins mined is dependant on network hash rate?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Delphinus

Activity: 560
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 07:54:46 AM
Merited by kaicrypzen (1)

There are a lot of opinions on the fork, but I think it's a good thing they are not abandoning their early investors and most loyal supporters.

Although I agree it might not be the best solution for the network itself and reliability of SC towards partners, you owe this to the people who initially made this possible. It's a legacy debt. I'm invested in several projects who used their ICO money to set up their business, only to abandon their investors and focus on new business models and investors. That's harmful for the crypto market in general (even though it might be beneficial for that single coin). It makes people think twice about being early investors and hampers new startups in finding investments.

Although I own SC (and no miners), I do support this approach.

Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 05:29:37 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2018, 06:22:52 PM by Zer0Sum

Well, IMHO, IF they really did incorporate an ASIC hardware solution in their Siacoin Obelisk miners and the

Obelisk decred miners, I think they need to have that as an option in firmware for a new algo and coin

to take advantage of this. Ideally, that coin/token would be used to run the siacoin network and/or

allowing only Obelisk hardware to be the backbone from the get-go.

If not that, at least opening up this hardware to other algo options would be something.

Again, if that actually exists, as they state or it was just a 'false flag' attempt to slow Bitmain down

back in the day.

Likely, as much as the devs say the price of siacoin does not matter to their cloud storage project, the

probably are as heavily invested as everyone else. But again, IMHO, if they were ONLY a hardware

manufacturer, they would already have used that asic hardware option in firmware to try and develop

a different algo and encourage developers to use such on their coin

Anyway, decred miners are doomed, you'd think at least they would use such for the decred miner or at

least do what the innsilicon folk have done with their firmware to allow HCASH coin mining.

If nothing else, that seems to be a firmware fix the could do of note to make their obelisk decred

miner MAYBE float a bit longer, rather than sink. (not sure why I'm bothering got my 1 decred coming

for giving away my 5 1/2 off obelisk coupons back in the day...even that likely will not make over electric

use, by the time I get it..just saying) well, it looks dire....just my 2 satoshi's worth ..we will see I guess

https://blog.sia.tech/sia-proof-of-work-reset-24b5ec439625

Happy?

I know I am, if I won't have to read long rants anymore  Grin

I find the "rants" to be more informative than the pure astroturf you find on reddit Smiley

SC is worth owning just to read Vorick's blog...
But until I see a proper analysis of the ways Amazon would attack p2p storage if it ever hits 1-2% market share...
I'm going to assume that p2p storage is NOT commercially viable...
Except maybe as scratch pad for IoT devices or deep web mass storage.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3250274/data-storage/blockchain-and-cryptocurrency-may-soon-underpin-cloud-storage.html

This is actually a decent article from a mainstream computer mag as opposed to boilerplate crypto hype...
You can see that Vorick is indeed targeting "cold storage" and/or the deep web's insatiable storage needs.
Branko

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 05:49:03 PM

I find the "rants" to be more informative than the pure astroturf you find on reddit Smiley

SC is worth owning just to read Vorrick's blog...
But until I see a proper analysis of the ways Amazon would attack p2p storage if it ever hits 1-2% market share...
I'm going to assume that p2p storage is NOT commercially viable...
Except maybe as scratch pad for IoT devices or deep web mass storage.

But how to take him seriously if he thinks (over and over) that increased network hash rate means
we're mining more coins over time? I explained about how adjusting difficulty to keep block time
constant works, but he keeps ignoring it
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 06:45:48 PM

Sorry, small issues (kinda yet) Smiley

1) 10-15x of more siacoin that they expected is in the wind, when they thought they'd be the only blake2b

ASIC at this point in time,  much, much, more than they needed for the supposed

You still think number of coins mined is dependant on network hash rate?

coins to their decentralized network cloud mining plans yes...regular hash rate NO...

from what I understand siacoin ASIC's are used to protect the network...siacoin price

will be derived from such....thus the fork...thus a lot of siacoin (tokens) that will be in play

for the value derived from their 'cloud storage' solution.

inform me how I am wrong on this...if 1) siacoin's price now is due to scarcity and speculative

pump and 2) how this plays out with the 2nd and 3rd leg of this stool (assuming the fork is leg 1)
r
leg 2 being the cloud storage network for value and leg three being the ASIC's to run such.

I'm just saying all the parts have to be in play

again, where have I stray'd in your view on how this all is gonna shake out?

my terms are likely incorrect..but how I see this. IF siacoin price is dependent on the decentalized

cloud storage that sia-tech wants to compete with...and the siacoin is the coin/price...how does

having a crap load of coin in the world now 10-15x more than they expected when they were the only

supposed blake2b obelisk maker this year? Again, how does that work for value now of their vision?

or hell maybe it does not matter 10x-15x the siacoin in the world or not..if the cloud storage method

flops...the coin flops and price flops no matter how many exist...

again, educate me on how the price of all this siacoin is reflected in price on a cloud storage network

that is not up to speed yet? All speculation? Amount of siacoin is irrelevant to such?

again, how do you all see this as panning out?

brad

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Branko

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 06:59:54 PM

snip

Theres NO 10-15 TIMES MORE COINS NOW THAN THEY PLANNED. You can repeat it 1000 times, it won't become truth.
Actually 2 years ago you could calculate exactly how many coins would be circulating now,  with 2-3% accuracy.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

snip

Theres NO 10-15 TIMES MORE COINS NOW THAN THEY PLANNED. You can repeat it 1000 times, it won't become truth.
Actually 2 years ago you could calculate exactly how many coins would be circulating now,  with 2-3% accuracy.

well there is a hell of a lot more difficulty out there than there was....

thus there has to be more coins out their than they planned IF they were the only asic's in town

as they planned to be at this point in time in 2018.

difficulty goes up ..you run thru the coins faster and put them into the world? right?

still confused...clarify....if coin price determined by how many exist vs equip costs of the network etc?

not trying to slam here...but all them 4/5's of NON obeblisk blake2b miners got some kinda benifit from

all this.....so i'm confused if what you say is true...why the fork? It should make no difference in price

etc from what you say....4-5k of obelisks after the fork are not gonna generate enough to effect any

of this...thus why fork? where is the profit in doing so? why bother?

again, not a slam...use small words...

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Branko

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 07:15:18 PM

snip

thus there has to be more coins out their than they planned IF they were the only asic's in town

difficulty goes up ..you run thru the coins faster and put them into the world? right?

still confused...clarify....if coin price determined by how many exist vs equip costs of the network etc?

not trying to slam here...but all them 4/5's of NON obeblisk blake2b miners got some kinda benifit from

all this.....so i'm confused if what you say is true...why the fork? It should make no difference in price

etc from what you say....4-5k of obelisks after the fork are not gonna generate enough to effect any

brad

4-5k obelisks will generate exactly the same amount of coins as million of innosilicon asics would.

Difference is, your Obelisk would get 1sc per month in that scenario, this way your obelisk
will get 1000 per day (totally made this number, but if you want, I can calculate excat profit for exact
number of obelisks because amount of sia coins per day is a constant number

Difficulty is magic wand here, the more ASICs(hashpower if you like) the bigger the difficulty...it auto-adjusts
to make number of coins per day constant

Pretty good explanation can be found here (and in better English, as its my 4th language, lol):

https://siasetup.info/learn/mining_and_forks
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 08:01:00 PM

snip

brad

4-5k obelisks will generate exactly the same amount of coins as million of innosilicon asics would.

Difference is, your Obelisk would get 1sc per month in that scenario, this way your obelisk
will get 1000 per day (totally made this number, but if you want, I can calculate excat profit for exact
number of obelisks because amount of sia coins per day is a constant number

Difficulty is magic wand here, the more ASICs(hashpower if you like) the bigger the difficulty...it auto-adjusts
to make number of coins per day constant

Pretty good explanation can be found here (and in better English, as its my 4th language, lol):

https://siasetup.info/learn/mining_and_forks

so you are saying that price of siacoin does not matter the amount of coin ..thru difficulty..that happens to exist at any point in time

the non siacoin miners 4/5's ran difficulty up (i'm assuming) more so than if only 1/5th was how siatech

envisioned such when they made the units and thought they were gonna be the only game in town in 2018.

So, how is price determined? Is it all speculation and thus the amount of coin in existence does not matter?

We are just farther along in the difficulty curve?

Also, why the big push by obelisk for ASIC's is it only the supposed 'secure network' they wanted for their

cloud storage vision as they say?

So If I'm following this correctly at this point in time 4/5's of all coin in exitence is 'owned' or mined

by say 4/5's of non obelisk equipment (gpu's/purchace of such/non siatech obelisks)

so .the ONLY angle that an obelisk sc-1 has 'with the fork' is that it can continue to mine and get siacoin

as the 'supposed' only miner on the hash network ...ASIC wise with the fork?

Assuming, I'm following the above (big assumption) than how does their cloud storage vision

come into this whole thing asic's vs price etc?

again, maybe it is all moot ..and the value of siacoin will tank to dust...if their cloud storage

vision does not come to pass (the reason for siacoin supposedly)

On a side note on asic's I'm guessing we will have an annoucement soon (if not already) of a siacoin

classic coin (for the NON-forked asic units in the world) ...wait for it..just saying...no idea what it means

but I myself would bet on it

thanks for the clarification..let me know what you think about the above...just trying to flesh this all out

in some manner.

brad

p.s. as to the free decred miner I'm getting (at least I used the 5 1/2 coupons for something) that is

looking pretty dire...but at least I swap'd the coupons for better 'wall art' Smiley

DeepestOnion

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 08:11:57 PM

https://blog.sia.tech/sia-proof-of-work-reset-24b5ec439625

Happy?

I know I am, if I won't have to read long rants anymore  Grin

That is actually a quite interesting analysis. Mining echosystems are getting more and more complex and it is a big challenge to discover the industry's best practice. The alternative in some cases could be to see the whole project fail, so I think such an analysis is welcome.
invisiblefriend321

Activity: 174
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 06:58:56 AM

centralized TOKEN / STORAGE as of the fork !

completely centralized now IMO ?

NAMASTE
big_daddy

Activity: 1652
Merit: 583

xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 12:47:40 PM

this fork news is helping Sia raise prices/value
what will be after the fork? I hope that will ATH again  Grin Cool

If you don't believe it or don't get it, I don't have the time to try to convince you, sorry.
mega_carnation

Activity: 376
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:05:50 PM

Most of the coins that will have a fork brings more demand and its starting to cause panic buying.

Only two things, SIA will be pumped and the fork coin will be sold after claiming. All money that came from the fork will be moved to SIA or any valuable coin.
Branko

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:12:27 PM

Most of the coins that will have a fork brings more demand and its starting to cause panic buying.

Only two things, SIA will be pumped and the fork coin will be sold after claiming. All money that came from the fork will be moved to SIA or any valuable coin.

You got it all wrong...fork not necessarily means new coin...and in this case, if there will be new coin at all, it won't
be given by SIA...but lets not tell everyone, maybe its better they stay uninformed and keep pumping price  Grin
big_daddy

Activity: 1652
Merit: 583

xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 01:29:54 PM

You got it all wrong...fork not necessarily means new coin...and in this case, if there will be new coin at all, it won't
be given by SIA...but lets not tell everyone, maybe its better they stay uninformed and keep pumping price  Grin

right
there will be no new coin, they are modifying the blake2b algorithm
SC will not split the chain

If you don't believe it or don't get it, I don't have the time to try to convince you, sorry.
goldart

Activity: 546
Merit: 122

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 04:38:31 PM

right
there will be no new coin, they are modifying the blake2b algorithm
SC will not split the chain
there will be no new coin, but a modified algorithm may attract investors
and i think i need to wait for the best days for all cryptocurrency.
kaicrypzen

Activity: 1344
Merit: 656

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 04:52:49 PM

There could be a new coin if a part of the community continues mining on the legacy (before the fork) chain. The fork is going to invalidate blocks mined by equipment that is currently holding ~45% of the hashrate, I don't see this mining equipment just going to trash and miners using it just accepting to throw away their now main-chain-useless miners, so in my opinion, there is a very high chance the legacy chain will be maintained hence giving birth to a new coin.

Branko

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 07:56:48 PM

There could be a new coin if a part of the community continues mining on the legacy (before the fork) chain. The fork is going to invalidate blocks mined by equipment that is currently holding ~45% of the hashrate, I don't see this mining equipment just going to trash and miners using it just accepting to throw away their now main-chain-useless miners, so in my opinion, there is a very high chance the legacy chain will be maintained hence giving birth to a new coin.

Keep in mind that, unlike , for example, Bitcoin Cash, Sia coin has very special purpose, and for
that purpose team that would make new coin would also have to build software for storage network, too

Otherwise they'd mine coin that noone actually needs
kaicrypzen

Activity: 1344
Merit: 656

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 08:23:06 AM

Keep in mind that, unlike , for example, Bitcoin Cash, Sia coin has very special purpose, and for
that purpose team that would make new coin would also have to build software for storage network, too

My understanding is that the sia client version 1.3.5 will support the legacy chain, and that legacy chain users are always welcome as long as they hold siafunds. Regardless, mining a coin that no one needs wouldn't be a first, and there will always be people/bots ready to trade it as long as it's on an exchange ...

mimagneto

Activity: 235
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 08:48:14 AM

My understanding is that the sia client version 1.3.5 will support the legacy chain, and that legacy chain users are always welcome as long as they hold siafunds. Regardless, mining a coin that no one needs wouldn't be a first, and there will always be people/bots ready to trade it as long as it's on an exchange ...

Wow, this is a very interesting predicament.  It's going to be interesting to follow and see what comes of it.  It seems that if there will still be two different chains, but only one product (the new Sia Coin that is created), how will the previous chain hold value?  I understand that traders will want to continue to trade it, but how would investors view it?  I think that then the original chain coin would need to proceed with its own abilities, technologies, project, etc. for it to survive as the market cap and value will then be moved to the new Sia Coin chain.  Thus destroying the value of the original Sia Coin chain.  Interesting, indeed.

mimagneto
Pages: « 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 [459] 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: