Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:03:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 [330] 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382131 times)
Hakkane

Activity: 422
Merit: 270

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 04:10:15 PM

Do you guys know a way to make the windows client sync faster? Maybe I'm missing an update or maybe I can make it accept more connections? I don't open my wallet that often but let it sync every now and then.
I have the same thing, takes really..... really long to sync

So no one know how to make it become faster?

Will look around somewhere here for answer. And telegram or slack channel for fast response or support?

That question was already answered a few posts bellow the original question:

The initial sync of the blockchain takes very long if you are using a HDD. On a SSD it takes less than 8 hours.

You can greatly accelerate the process by manually downloading an updated image of the blockchain (AKA bootstrapping). Check the instructions here: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain

In the future, if you need fast answers check in the official Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/sia) and the official reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/) as they are the only official channels. Devs and most of the community do not check Bitcointalk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
waqasniaz007

Activity: 406
Merit: 121

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 06:51:15 PM

How many siacoin will be mined total? The suplly is increasing every day and every day more coins come in cerculation. Tis is biggest reason of price fall in siacoin.
antropogen0009

Activity: 406
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 06:59:00 PM

how much is possible to earn mining on the hard dick now?
carlo_0000
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:10:44 PM

how much is possible to earn mining on the hard dick now?

Grin

wtf

you can't mine on hard disk  this is not burstcoin

it s sharing hard disk space, it s around 1$ / tera so it s not much
if you wanna mine sia you need a gpu
Hakkane

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:38:32 PM

How many siacoin will be mined total? The suplly is increasing every day and every day more coins come in cerculation. Tis is biggest reason of price fall in siacoin.

Almost every coin out there is inflationary.

There is no limit in the supply of the coins, as a way to ensure miners will be always incentivized to secure the network. The block reward is decreasing on every block until it reaches a minimum of 30KS. You can check the expected Supply and Inflation rates here: https://siastats.info/supply_inflation.html resulting from mining activity

In top of that, in a future update hosts will be required to burn some coins to prove their legitimacy. The amount of coins that will be burnt can't be predicted, but it will more as hosts join the network and storage usage increases. At some point, it is possible that with enough network usage, the coin can become deflationary.
Jeerke

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:08:55 AM

Question, I head there's coming a new Wallet version.
Is there a date when it will be released?
betaboot

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:21:51 AM

No, there isn't an official date. But just some hours ago there was another weekly dev update on Discord:

Development update for week of Nov. 19, 2017
This week was cut short because of the U.S.A Thanksgiving Holiday on Thursday and Friday.  Nonetheless, the Sia team continues to move forward on the upcoming 1.3.1 release.

3 Nebulous repos were updated this week with 15 pull requests merged and 7 issues closed.  1.3.1RC2 is still waiting for the writeaheadlog repo to be finished and integrated.  Due to the Thanksgiving holiday 1.3.1RC2 is likely going to be available in early December.

The Minio team has officially merged in the Sia Gateway code enabling the Minio integration.    Congratulations to everyone who helped and to dvstate for submitting the Pull Request.  You can view the PR here: https://github.com/minio/minio/pull/5114

The /r/siacoin subreddit passed 17,000 subscribers this week and continues to grow.  The Siacoin market cap has also seen considerable growth this week helping Siacoin briefly climb it’s way back into the top 50 cryptocurrencies by market cap.

Happy Thanksgiving

So version 1.3.1 will probably be released around mid December.
Jeerke

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 10:25:06 AM

No, there isn't an official date. But just some hours ago there was another weekly dev update on Discord:

Development update for week of Nov. 19, 2017
This week was cut short because of the U.S.A Thanksgiving Holiday on Thursday and Friday.  Nonetheless, the Sia team continues to move forward on the upcoming 1.3.1 release.

3 Nebulous repos were updated this week with 15 pull requests merged and 7 issues closed.  1.3.1RC2 is still waiting for the writeaheadlog repo to be finished and integrated.  Due to the Thanksgiving holiday 1.3.1RC2 is likely going to be available in early December.

The Minio team has officially merged in the Sia Gateway code enabling the Minio integration.    Congratulations to everyone who helped and to dvstate for submitting the Pull Request.  You can view the PR here: https://github.com/minio/minio/pull/5114

The /r/siacoin subreddit passed 17,000 subscribers this week and continues to grow.  The Siacoin market cap has also seen considerable growth this week helping Siacoin briefly climb it’s way back into the top 50 cryptocurrencies by market cap.

Happy Thanksgiving

So version 1.3.1 will probably be released around mid December.

Thanks!
Xodor

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 10:34:14 AM

it would not hurt to sc descend on 100+ satosh, too much of it was lowered from the peak, it looks like light x2 in the short term

H A R A               WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
GayEddie

Activity: 290
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 12:56:49 PM

Do you guys know a way to make the windows client sync faster? Maybe I'm missing an update or maybe I can make it accept more connections? I don't open my wallet that often but let it sync every now and then.
I have the same thing, takes really..... really long to sync

So no one know how to make it become faster?

Will look around somewhere here for answer. And telegram or slack channel for fast response or support?

That question was already answered a few posts bellow the original question:

The initial sync of the blockchain takes very long if you are using a HDD. On a SSD it takes less than 8 hours.

You can greatly accelerate the process by manually downloading an updated image of the blockchain (AKA bootstrapping). Check the instructions here: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain

In the future, if you need fast answers check in the official Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/sia) and the official reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/) as they are the only official channels. Devs and most of the community do not check Bitcointalk

Okay thank you for the reply, it gonna be very hard to scroll multiple page around in the bitcointalk thread, will go to discord for fast respond instead, thank you for helping out.
narrrf

Activity: 275
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:29:01 PM

Hello to the dev team, can anyone tell me what the difference is in comparison to Storj? Thank you very much in advance!

Look at this topic

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1857153.0

lG
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:31:06 PM

See Sia founder David V. talk about ASICs with Decred and gives a nice intro into how Sia was formed:

http://video.genyoutube.net/8TPFIVYy_i4  
DanTheHam

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:48:03 PM

I gave up mining SIA a while back (and switched to a non storage based coin) simply because, I don't see a future for it. I can't see any large company wanting to go through the hassle (and risks) of exchanging cash for SIA then using it to buy storage. Currency fluctuations can have big effects on profitability (Lots of UK businesses after Brexit have seen profits squeezed, or even wiped out after GBP took a dive) Why would a large company already at risk of currency fluctuations increase that risk by also getting involved with crypto markets, and with something as important / essential as storage?

With high speed networks, falling SSD prices (and increasing capacities) along with super reliable HDD's does SIA really have a large scale customer out there? Perhaps content creators could find a use for SIA as an alternative back up space - but the likes of a large multinational with huge storage requirements would probably already have their own facilities in place. Honestly, I don't see enough small scale users to make up the difference.

So, that's why I got out - I don't think the demand will ever match the supply. I think it's important to have faith in any project you're investing in (whether it's buying coins or using resources to mine them, it all counts as an investment!) - I have a great deal of respect for all those who do believe that there's a future for SIA - perhaps you can see something I can't... (or maybe you are just smarter than me!) - however, for me - I think there are better options out there.
MR,bon

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 12:57:04 AM

it looks like the siacoin is moving like a statue using batteries. we will not feel the pleasure of life.
DroidR17A

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:02:58 AM

I gave up mining SIA a while back (and switched to a non storage based coin) simply because, I don't see a future for it. I can't see any large company wanting to go through the hassle (and risks) of exchanging cash for SIA then using it to buy storage. Currency fluctuations can have big effects on profitability (Lots of UK businesses after Brexit have seen profits squeezed, or even wiped out after GBP took a dive) Why would a large company already at risk of currency fluctuations increase that risk by also getting involved with crypto markets, and with something as important / essential as storage?

With high speed networks, falling SSD prices (and increasing capacities) along with super reliable HDD's does SIA really have a large scale customer out there? Perhaps content creators could find a use for SIA as an alternative back up space - but the likes of a large multinational with huge storage requirements would probably already have their own facilities in place. Honestly, I don't see enough small scale users to make up the difference.

So, that's why I got out - I don't think the demand will ever match the supply. I think it's important to have faith in any project you're investing in (whether it's buying coins or using resources to mine them, it all counts as an investment!) - I have a great deal of respect for all those who do believe that there's a future for SIA - perhaps you can see something I can't... (or maybe you are just smarter than me!) - however, for me - I think there are better options out there.

Price volatility can easily be controlled by matching crypto to fiat at the time of sale. The main problem is the initial acquisition, and holding the crypto in a wallet. If there was an option to just pay with a credit card, that the billing system automatically converts to crypto for the sake of the platform it would be pretty viable. I'm not sure how Sia addresses these concerns, but they're certainly not insurmountable. Also, if Sia has time stamping, the potential goes far beyond storage and into proof of ownership and time certification. Hoping the Sia admins can fill in the gaps.
mycotoxin

Activity: 66

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:41:26 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2017, 02:56:02 AM by mycotoxin

Soooooo wrong . Ive worked for two of the biggest storage manufacturers of storage in Silicon Valley and in the world. I'm not talking Terrabytes  of data  we are talking arrays which hold multi Exabytes of data, hosted in data centers the size of football fields. Every major company, business, hospital, stock market exchange  in the world is on these arrays. When an array goes down its in the news as it impacts something huge and the downtime can  affect the  stock price of a company.

Now think about this,  for every petabyte of data there has to be a backup of this petabyte of data , (government regulations dictate backups go back 7 years) , and to avoid a single point of failure this data has to be replicated to multiple branch locations throughout the world. Where do you think the XRAYS hospitals use are stored ? Do you really think the movie studios are storing  movie  data  on a bunch of hard drives ? Nope, they are on multi-million dollar intelligent arrays the size of fridges  which  manage the data and its spread across  several global locations.

One of the biggest challenges is how do you preserve this data,  how do you provide cooling , the cost of electricity, security, product failures, data redundancy, real time replication, data deduplication, ete etc . These are issues which  the major storage companies and  enterprises  struggle with .
SIACOIN solves a majority of  these problems and is going to huge.

I have  675 TB  of data I manage at home,  which means I need to keep another 675TB of space  for backups and another 675TB in case the main backup fails.
You can imagine my electricity bill,  its  up there and I try to offset it with solar panels and 20 x  12volt (256 Amp Hrs) solar batteries which run these NAS devices when the Sun goes down and  the panels no longer supply energy.

In summer time these NAS boxes require  a lot of cooling and im also mindful  of what happens to the data if there's one of these California  earthquakes . This is where SIACOIN comes in as I will  archive the data to the SIACOIN network, and now  I  only need to keep 675TB of live data and my cooling and  power requirement issues are now resolved - As a plus  I also get to pocket a lot in savings. Another added benefit is its decentralized so I no longer need to worry about security ( As you need the wallet key and seed to get to the data ). Plus its decentralized so there's no need to worry about  a single point of failure - And Even if SIACOIN  team folds and gives up the project  the network still  lives on .

Think again @DanTheHam  in the future I see SIACOIN on phones, in cars, watches etc ... this revolutionary and is going to be huge !

Hakkane

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:49:13 AM

I think you are missing some points here.

• The storage pricing does not correlate with the value of the coin: hosts select their own pricing and they adjust it to fixed dollar values. For example, during the price rally of May-June, even if the coin went up 50x, the storage pricing remained under $2/TB/month. Currently the price is $1/TB/month (https://siastats.info/storage_pricing.html). If a company buys Sia on the go instead of provisioning a large amount for the following years, they will be paying the same amount in fiat all the time
  • Final users are not the target of Sia. The goal is that storage providers (new ones or current ones that embrace Sia) use Sia as their storage layer. That way, they can offer storage plans paid by fixed fiat rates, while they do all the Sia conversion behind the scenes. Siacdn.com for instance uses this model
  • The pricing is the biggest reason to adopt Sia. Currently Sia storage is $1/TB/month. AmazonS3 is $23/Tb/month. Bandwidth costs are 100x cheaper in Sia. No traditional storage provider can compete with that, because they want to make huge profits with the overhead costs (small wonder AWS ahs those figures of benefits), while in a storage marketplace like Sia, hosts compete for cheaper rates, having very small margins (while still profitable). Big companies paying thousands of dollars per month in storage can greatly reduce their bills with Sia once is ready for the prime time.
  • Traditional storage solutions do not include native encryption and decentralization. No government can shut-down your data in Sia. No storage company can spy your data in Sia because it is decentralized and no individual host has access to enough data to reconstruct the files
mycotoxin

Activity: 66

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:17:05 AM

Soooooo wrong . Ive worked for two of the biggest storage manufacturers of storage in Silicon Valley and in the world. I'm not talking Terrabytes  of data  we are talking arrays which hold multi Exabytes of data, hosted in data centers the size of football fields. Every major company, business, hospital, stock market exchange  in the world is on these arrays. When an array goes down its in the news as it impacts something huge and the downtime can  affect the  stock price of a company.

Now think about this,  for every petabyte of data there has to be a backup of this petabyte of data , (government regulations dictate backups go back 7 years) , and to avoid a single point of failure this data has to be replicated to multiple branch locations throughout the world. Where do you think the XRAYS hospitals use are stored ? Do you really think the movie studios are storing  movie  data  on a bunch of hard drives ? Nope, they are on multi-million dollar intelligent arrays the size of fridges  which  manage the data and its spread across  several global locations.

One of the biggest challenges is how do you preserve this data,  how do you provide cooling , the cost of electricity, security, product failures, data redundancy, real time replication, data deduplication, ete etc . These are issues which  the major storage companies and  enterprises  struggle with .
SIACOIN solves a majority of  these problems and is going to huge.

I have  675 TB  of data I manage at home,  which means I need to keep another 675TB of space  for backups and another 675TB in case the main backup fails.
You can imagine my electricity bill,  its  up there and I try to offset it with solar panels and 20 x  12volt (256 Amp Hrs) solar batteries which run these NAS devices when the Sun goes down and  the panels no longer supply energy.

In summer time these NAS boxes require  a lot of cooling and im also mindful  of what happens to the data if there's one of these California  earthquakes . This is where SIACOIN comes in as I will  archive the data to the SIACOIN network, and now  I  only need to keep 675TB of live data and my cooling and  power requirement issues are now resolved - As a plus  I also get to pocket a lot in savings. Another added benefit is its decentralized so I no longer need to worry about security ( As you need the wallet key and seed to get to the data ). Plus its decentralized so there's no need to worry about  a single point of failure - And Even if SIACOIN  team folds and gives up the project  the network still  lives on .

Think again @DanTheHam  in the future I see SIACOIN on phones, in cars, watches etc ... this revolutionary and is going to be huge !

Another wonderful thing is no matter how much Dropbox, Amzon, Microsoft, Box etc  try they can never complete with SIACOIN in the storage space. This is because there's no storage,  cooling, security, power  etc.. etc requirements for SIACOIN its all taken care of in their distribution model.  There's never overhead as its decentralized. If  Drobox, Microsoft, Box etc attempt to compete with SIACOIN they can never ever win as they have various  financial overhead they can never  avoid - you gotta love it .   These are some smart Devs over at SIA -  So SIACOIN will always undercut them in prices and will always be more secure .
Where do you think these enterprises are going to turn to cut costs and  up their stock valuation ? .. SIACOIN network gives them this option
whyyousoserious

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

Crypterium - Digital Mobile Cryptobank For Everyon

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:45:01 AM

price just went up 20% in just few hour.. lets go 100 sat and we are back in the top 50 coinmarket cap

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  Twitter
▀  Telegram
▀  Facebook
▀  ANN Thread
▀  Whitepaper
▀  Website
diogoo

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:53:40 AM

I see more than 100 satoshi soon Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 [330] 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: