Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:01:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Founder Ross Ulbricht Sentenced to Life in Prison  (Read 50097 times)
uknohowwedo

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:32:55 AM

damn no parole thats some shit
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JJB

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:04:21 AM

Amir Taaki talking about the multiple personas DPR moniker:

http://www.miningpool.co.uk/amir-taaki-backs-up-ross-ulbrichts-claim-of-leaving-silk-road-after-creating-it/

“Years ago, when I messaged the Silk Road, I had a conversation with the Dread Pirate Roberts – a very personal conversation where he was [talking] about how one day he hopes to be on the outside struggling for freedom together. You know, not having to hide his identity. One year [or] two years later when I messaged the guy — I’m pretty certain it was not the same guy. The tone was completely different. He had no recollection of the events that happened before, and his attitude to me was in stark contrast to the exuberant and wordy Dread Pirate Roberts of the early days. So, free Ross Ulbricht.”

I have no reason to believe this and at the end of the day it's just his opinion. Ross was caught red handed both in setting the site up and running it when he was caught do I don't really buy the different person excuse.
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:35:31 PM

damn no parole thats some shit
Now that he has been waking up everyday in the same cell he is going to spend the rest of his life and it is all starting to sink in, I wonder how he feels about everything.  I'll bet it is now, for the very first time, that he is truly shitting bricks.  Somehow denial protects you in the beginning.  Not any more.
dodgecharger

Activity: 1005
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:31:01 AM

Life in prison without parole.  He'll never set foot outside of prison again for the rest of his life.
I wonder if this will deter others, or do most people think they will never be caught, like he did
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:40:40 AM

Life in prison without parole.  He'll never set foot outside of prison again for the rest of his life.
I wonder if this will deter others, or do most people think they will never be caught, like he did

Plenty of morons serving life thought they could outwit the system.

He was an object lesson in how not to do it - staying in the US, revealing his email address in the early days, keeping journals, running a centralised site.

It's impossible to be sure that you're uncatchable, but there's plenty there for others to learn from and do better.
forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:47:42 AM

Tougher sentencing has never lowered crime rates AFAIK.

kenbytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:45:26 PM

I do sort of feel bad for the guy. Living every day for the rest of your life in those conditions could be a fate worse than death.

Dajve

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:59:48 PM

Tougher sentencing has never lowered crime rates AFAIK.

I think it will certainly deter some people from thinking about starting a darknet market, but for most it wont stop them and there will always be people willing to take the risk.
MUFC

Activity: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:01:46 PM

One thing I know for sure is if you're going to start a market you need to make damn sure you've got everything covered and as a minimum I wouldn't reside in the united States or any country that has an extradition treaty with them. Go start it in some country in the middle of nowhere but personally I don't think the paranoia would be worth the risk even for multi millions and I bet if you ask Ross now he would certainly say it wasn't worth it.

I do sort of feel bad for the guy. Living every day for the rest of your life in those conditions could be a fate worse than death.

It's harsh for sure, but I think Ross will be clining to an appeal right now and that will be getting him through but it's not looking good that's for sure.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:27:28 PM

One thing I know for sure is if you're going to start a market you need to make damn sure you've got everything covered and as a minimum I wouldn't reside in the united States or any country that has an extradition treaty with them. Go start it in some country in the middle of nowhere but personally I don't think the paranoia would be worth the risk even for multi millions and I bet if you ask Ross now he would certainly say it wasn't worth it.

And I bet that if you asked him while he was still free and running Silk Road he would say it was....
Let's be honest here Wink

I do agree with all of you that life without parole is worse than death.
There is however an extremely small (more like almost non-existant) chance he might be able to get a possibility for parole on his appeal.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:00:12 AM

Let's stop by Ross's place and see if he wants to go out for some wood fired pizza and a few beers. Oh wait, we can't, I forgot that he decided to go to prison for the rest of his life.

funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 07:08:56 PM

It is clearly to set a strong example, They don't want 10 others to do the same. If they give 20 years some people will take their chance

Well they got 100 others to do the same. 

http://qntra.net/2015/06/online-drug-trade-booming-despite-silk-road-shut-down-ulbrichts-subsequent-life-sentence/

Don't make the mistake of imagining a dying, insane, self-destructive monster to be making decisions for reasons.  Sentences like Ross's and indeed most of the well-named criminal justice system (and yes it goes on up but I'll stop there) actually have the following logic to them:

"Aaaarrrrghhh  life sucks nobody loves me I'm so afraid heelllllp  arrrrgghh  kill mee"

That's the real reasoning going on here behind this kind of decision.  Not "to set an example"  and most certainly not "to help society", though clearly nobody EVER has suggested the latter. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:32:02 PM

I think it will certainly deter some people from thinking about starting a darknet market, but for most it wont stop them and there will always be people willing to take the risk.

It will deter some people from starting a darknet market and publishing their personal gmail account in relation to it.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:39:04 AM

It will deter some people from starting a darknet market and publishing their personal gmail account in relation to it.

I don't think so. Best example: Blake Benthall made the same error on Silkroad 2 and got busted.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 11:26:28 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2015, 11:46:14 AM by funkenstein

http://www.miningpool.co.uk/amir-taaki-backs-up-ross-ulbrichts-claim-of-leaving-silk-road-after-creating-it/

“Years ago, when I messaged the Silk Road, I had a conversation with the Dread Pirate Roberts – a very personal conversation where he was [talking] about how one day he hopes to be on the outside struggling for freedom together. You know, not having to hide his identity. One year [or] two years later when I messaged the guy — I’m pretty certain it was not the same guy. The tone was completely different. He had no recollection of the events that happened before, and his attitude to me was in stark contrast to the exuberant and wordy Dread Pirate Roberts of the early days. So, free Ross Ulbricht.”

I have no reason to believe this and at the end of the day it's just his opinion. Ross was caught red handed both in setting the site up and running it when he was caught do I don't really buy the different person excuse.

See what you wrote here?  He was caught red handed "setting the site up" and "running it".

A website.  Voluntary participation for willing participants, none of whom are even in the court with complaints.  

For this: we are to pay his hotel bill for decades.  

The most shocking part about it is how primed you people are to just accept this idiocy.  

You really want to pay 100 BTC a year to correctional facility managers because "he published his email" ?  

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
MUFC

Activity: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 11:33:42 AM

No matter how careful you have been it is very very difficult to become an untraceable ghost on the internet or even the darknet. It only takes one tiny slip up and you're done and your life is over. I couldn't even imagine the stress or paranoia it would cause being in charge of one of these markets. Hopefully decentralized ones will get rid of the issue of their owner fucking up and taking your coins with it.

I don't think so. Best example: Blake Benthall made the same error on Silkroad 2 and got busted.

He said some. There will always be fools and people who fuck up. I think satoshi is probably one of the only people who is qualified to set up one of these sites and remain anon. Maybe the powers that be could track him down if he did something like this, though.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 01:20:09 PM

What was his sentence btw?
Did he get life without parole?

Eveyone is talking about Ross and I haven't heard about him.
How did he get busted btw?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 02:03:42 PM

What was his sentence btw?
Did he get life without parole?

Eveyone is talking about Ross and I haven't heard about him.
How did he get busted btw?

It all seems a little bit murky at present.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1136505.0

AGD
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:13:10 PM

See what you wrote here?  He was caught red handed "setting the site up" and "running it".

A website.  Voluntary participation for willing participants, none of whom are even in the court with complaints.  

For this: we are to pay his hotel bill for decades.  

The most shocking part about it is how primed you people are to just accept this idiocy.  

You really want to pay 100 BTC a year to correctional facility managers because "he published his email" ?  

I never said that. Learn reading quotes.

+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
AGD
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:44:27 PM

No matter how careful you have been it is very very difficult to become an untraceable ghost on the internet or even the darknet. It only takes one tiny slip up and you're done and your life is over. I couldn't even imagine the stress or paranoia it would cause being in charge of one of these markets. Hopefully decentralized ones will get rid of the issue of their owner fucking up and taking your coins with it.

He said some. There will always be fools and people who fuck up. I think satoshi is probably one of the only people who is qualified to set up one of these sites and remain anon. Maybe the powers that be could track him down if he did something like this, though.

You are right. Some people will avoid to use their real name email address when commiting crime, but people can make a lot of other errors. What about the legion of Tor users? They feel safe, but some of them - depending on their configuration - are still showing their real IP through a DNS leak.
Even Satoshi can't be aware about every 0-day around.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: