Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136746 times)
eddycurrent

Activity: 61
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:58:25 AM

Hello again,
...what process should I use to validate that the binaries don't contain malware?

I basically want my binarys independently scanned with something like AVG antivirus for example, to ensure that they are not malicious and hence any user can trust them.

Regards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 12:31:05 PM

Blocknet (a Pivx/Dash/PPcoin clone) was hacked in early Oct by someone who discovered a way to exploit the staking mechanism for personal gain. Apparently Pivx had discovered and quietly repaired its code some time before. Any chance Slimcoin could have this very staking code defect that recently became known to hackers?  

Until it became clear just how many people had peviously preferred to keep their Slimcoins quiescent on the exchange, the notion was worth exploring.

But Max Guevara had called it correctly back in Sept:
Porting over a bunch of complicated features at once is a sure fire way to break lots of things. Trying to implement two big projects like Masternodes and PoS at once is not very prudent. A phased approach where each feature is added and thoroughly reviewed and tested is the way to go. PivX is on a different code base from Quark, this complicates matters. PivX also has an old modified PoS implementation that's different from Peercoin.

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 12:34:52 PM

why do you need blockchain for this project?

Currently, there's no way to generate a bootstrap file that will be successfully read by the client but copying the blockchain .dat file and the db index can work.

The client will successfully sync from the network --- but USE AN EMPTY WALLET and copy your own wallet back in after the node has synced. Otherwise, if it tries to stake/burn before getting fully synced, that often results in a private fork, from which the client cannot escape. If this happens, either re-do from start with empty wallet or use the snapshot to get synced.

Cheers

Graham

cctothemass

Activity: 686
Merit: 287

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 09:09:11 PM

why do you need blockchain for this project?

Currently, there's no way to generate a bootstrap file that will be successfully read by the client but copying the blockchain .dat file and the db index can work.

The client will successfully sync from the network --- but USE AN EMPTY WALLET and copy your own wallet back in after the node has synced. Otherwise, if it tries to stake/burn before getting fully synced, that often results in a private fork, from which the client cannot escape. If this happens, either re-do from start with empty wallet or use the snapshot to get synced.

Cheers

Graham

The wallet is constantly crushing. I rebooted the blockchain. The same problem - wallet crushes. What should I do?
Thanks a lot! Empty wallet helps me. After successfully sync, private keys imported to client. Now all look good for couple of minutes. But after some time client crushes again Sad
Son_of_Scryptonit

Activity: 152
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:05:37 PM

how many tokens in total are you issuing?
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6222

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:38:53 AM

@gjhiggins and other people interested in development:

I saw you talked a lot about decentralized trading options. I found this "xcat" software for Zcash enabling "atomic swaps" with other chains. It is still beta, but may be interesting. However, I don't know if it needs a "malleability fix" before it could be ported to Slimcoin.

To all newbies: This is not a "token" (I see this question pretty often so I answer it). It is a full-fledged blockchain, with an unique consensus system. The "token" is issued by a dynamic algorithm and the theoretic maximum is 250 million, but it probably never will reach this number. There can even be tokens issued on Slimcoin Smiley

By the way: I saw that for "tokens" distributed on ICOs there is now a new forum section, called ... Tokens Smiley. So if you want to burn money with ICOs, that is the forum you probably are searching. But if you want a serious blockchain project, you're right here.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 02:26:04 AM

@gjhiggins and other people interested in development:

I saw you talked a lot about decentralized trading options. I found this "xcat" software for Zcash enabling "atomic swaps" with other chains. It is still beta, but may be interesting. However, I don't know if it needs a "malleability fix" before it could be ported to Slimcoin.

Requires OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY:

https://github.com/zcash-hackworks/zbxcat/blob/master/xcat/bitcoinRPC.py#L12

Cheers

Graham
Sam123

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:28:33 AM

Hi,

1) Who is the developer of this project please. Is it gjhiggins?
2) Why the coin price is very low did the original dev left?

Thanks,
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 10:23:03 AM

1) It's a FOSS project, I'm merely one of a number of contributors.
2) Yes the original dev left (it's at the end of the OP but it *is* In the OP):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613213.0 (The original Slimcoin developer has not posted in this forum since the end of 2014, and he has stated that for the moment he is too busy to continue maintaining the coin. Some of the links in the release announcement are outdated and the formerly official website is offline now. So some members of the community have decided to restart the thread.)
(how that relates to your perception of “very low” I couldn't say)

Cheers

Graham
aIA

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:00:30 PM

Hello all,

Here is the arm-V7 linux QT binary:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_gR5sKBz2BJQ77e61fVSRWMFwvrt7lbq

and the cli daemon binary for the same architecture:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16I7WMSQdf9tsKOX6iRbrrJBaJraORz3B

Could some other users please validate that these binarys work and contain no malware?

If there is a better way to make these available, please let me know.

Regards

Hello, I appreciate the work you are doing. I have tried the CLI version that you have posted on a Raspberry pi 3 (armv8) and in principle it runs well but I find the same problem as in the compilation tests that I have made some time ago.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1141676.msg20954309#msg20954309

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1141676.msg21695133#msg21695133

While the wallet is blocked, the Blockchain updates well, but when it is unlocked and start the mining PoB it crash imminently. I have to try to reinitialize the Blockchain and synchronize from scratch (I used a copy of my Windows wallet) I will also try to change the operating system. I currently use Raspbian (based on debian) and I will try Arch Linux for Raspberry pi. I keep you informed.

Greetins.
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1605
Merit: 1568

精神分析的爸

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:26:27 PM

To all newbies: This is not a "token" (I see this question pretty often so I answer it). It is a full-fledged blockchain, with an unique consensus system. The "token" is issued by a dynamic algorithm and the theoretic maximum is 250 million, but it probably never will reach this number. There can even be tokens issued on Slimcoin Smiley

By the way: I saw that for "tokens" distributed on ICOs there is now a new forum section, called ... Tokens Smiley. So if you want to burn money with ICOs, that is the forum you probably are searching. But if you want a serious blockchain project, you're right here.

NVM, these nonsense posts pop-up all over the forum.

One sign to recognize them is that they all talk about tokens when posting to POW/POS/POB coin threads. One very plausible theory that I just picked up in another thread (though seems I am unable to find that post now for linking here, sorry) is that these accounts are all created by a single person or entity to participate in airdrops. The kind of useless "What purpose has this token?" posts have only the purpose of upping their user activity for said participation in airdrops. Right now the majority of these accounts has an activity of exactly 14.

It's quite disturbing as I have the feeling that around 1/3 of posts in the threads I have set to be notified are from such airdrop-sockpuppets.

psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1605
Merit: 1568

精神分析的爸

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:54:52 PM

Hello all,

Here is the arm-V7 linux QT binary:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_gR5sKBz2BJQ77e61fVSRWMFwvrt7lbq

and the cli daemon binary for the same architecture:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16I7WMSQdf9tsKOX6iRbrrJBaJraORz3B

Could some other users please validate that these binarys work and contain no malware?

If there is a better way to make these available, please let me know.

Regards

Hello, I appreciate the work you are doing. I have tried the CLI version that you have posted on a Raspberry pi 3 (armv8) and in principle it runs well but I find the same problem as in the compilation tests that I have made some time ago.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1141676.msg20954309#msg20954309

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1141676.msg21695133#msg21695133

While the wallet is blocked, the Blockchain updates well, but when it is unlocked and start the mining PoB it crash imminently. I have to try to reinitialize the Blockchain and synchronize from scratch (I used a copy of my Windows wallet) I will also try to change the operating system. I currently use Raspbian (based on debian) and I will try Arch Linux for Raspberry pi. I keep you informed.

Greetins.

From my personal expericence with all kinds of embedded computers (RPI, Panda, Cubieboard, pcDuino, Olinuxino and so on), these have some limitations that make them not the perfect choice for running a full node, especially when it is a POS or POB node:
1. Memory
2. Wearing out the flash based harddisks

Without staking and just little burning, my Slimcoin node uses ~700GB of memory. I suspect while synching up this amount is noteably higher. The Raspi 3 has 1GB memory AFAIK, if you also run a graphical desktop on the same device that won't just cut it and swapping to an SDcard maybe is suboptimal as well. Right now, while replying, my browser uses ~2.8G memory.

If you have coins in your wallet, you might want to try to synch up with an empty wallet and see if you get any further that way. Also quitting all memory-intensive programs like browser and such could help (if you do you run an graphical desktop on it). Then once it crashes, check your syslogs for messages about the OOM killer ("Out of Memory: Killed process XY").
But in the end I do not think that any kind of device with under 2GB (better 4GB) of memory and a fast storage medium will be able to run a full node of Slimcoin in the long run.

HTH

aIA

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:45:21 PM

From my personal expericence with all kinds of embedded computers (RPI, Panda, Cubieboard, pcDuino, Olinuxino and so on), these have some limitations that make them not the perfect choice for running a full node, especially when it is a POS or POB node:
1. Memory
2. Wearing out the flash based harddisks

Without staking and just little burning, my Slimcoin node uses ~700GB of memory. I suspect while synching up this amount is noteably higher. The Raspi 3 has 1GB memory AFAIK, if you also run a graphical desktop on the same device that won't just cut it and swapping to an SDcard maybe is suboptimal as well. Right now, while replying, my browser uses ~2.8G memory.

If you have coins in your wallet, you might want to try to synch up with an empty wallet and see if you get any further that way. Also quitting all memory-intensive programs like browser and such could help (if you do you run an graphical desktop on it). Then once it crashes, check your syslogs for messages about the OOM killer ("Out of Memory: Killed process XY").
But in the end I do not think that any kind of device with under 2GB (better 4GB) of memory and a fast storage medium will be able to run a full node of Slimcoin in the long run.

HTH

Hi psycodad, I think that you are right, but I try workaround that installing Raspbian OS in raspberry pi on a usb memory and the Blockchain and wallet files on a usb hard disk drive. Also I added 4gb of swap file on hdd. With htop I can see how sometimes slimcoind take part of swap file, but less than 1gb. I use server version of Raspbian, without graphical environment. All run smoothly until I unlock the wallet.

Now I’m syncing the Blockchain from scratch with the new binary compiled from eddycurrent trying to do other test.

Greetings.
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:05:17 PM

I don't have so much mem usage - in fact I only have about 450-460 mb mem used, but it's gradually expanding with longer and heavier blockchain - I only have seen such effect.
Sam123

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:06:01 PM

1) It's a FOSS project, I'm merely one of a number of contributors.
2) Yes the original dev left (it's at the end of the OP but it *is* In the OP):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613213.0 (The original Slimcoin developer has not posted in this forum since the end of 2014, and he has stated that for the moment he is too busy to continue maintaining the coin. Some of the links in the release announcement are outdated and the formerly official website is offline now. So some members of the community have decided to restart the thread.)
(how that relates to your perception of “very low” I couldn't say)

Cheers

Graham

Graham,

Yes I went back and I read the history of this project. Thanks,
You are right, I meant to ask three questions
I will need to read more about this project.

Leodalat

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:47:51 PM

Today SLM price in Novaexchange is 77sts. It is lowest in 6 month.
Dev, are you have any plan for future ?
Sam123

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:51:55 PM

One more question please. Is there any other project using Proof of Burn please ?
Thanks again
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6222

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:34:35 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2017, 09:59:08 PM by d5000

@gjhiggins: Thanks for looking at it. I read in the last pages that there were problems with the CLTV implementation (tests failed). If there is something I can help testing, PM me (or write me here), I now have more time to dedicate to Slimcoin again.

I have now adapted ACME's blocknotify scripts to my own folder structure (wasn't very hard, I admit). So in theory I could start now to build the Slimcoin RDF/OWL chain with Fuseki.

My original plan is to use the "blocknotify-catchup.sh" script to sync the RDF structure using an already downloaded blockchain. How is this script invoked? Can it sync an entire blockchain? (We were talking about that some weeks/months ago but I don't remember the page ...)

Or is it better to sync from zero using the "blocknotify.sh"? (I would like to avoid that Wink )

Update: I tried to simply run the catchup script from the command line with a Slimcoin client running, but it complains about a missing config["mainnet"] dictionary item, that is supposed to be extracted from a file called "coin.ini". I didn't find this file in the ACME repository, do I have to create it myself - and what to put inside?

@psycodad: You're right, these accounts are very likely bots/farmed accounts. At this page, again the same question popped up about the "necessity of a blockchain". I will ignore them from now on.

Today SLM price in Novaexchange is 77sts. It is lowest in 6 month.
Dev, are you have any plan for future ?

The price is mostly low because of the closure of Novaexchange. Opportunistic/short-term miners and some speculators that have no special relation with Slimcoin and treat it like every other sh!tcoin are panicking and selling, and as registrations are closed, there is no "fresh money flowing in".

The plans are to use decentralized trading methods from now on, and maybe get on another exchange. The original plans (working decentralized websites, code update) have not changed, but we have no "centrally decided" roadmap. The decentralized websites already work but what still is missing is the block explorer structure needed for it.

By the way: Keep in mind that 77 satoshis now are worth still about 8 times more in USD than 77 satoshis at the beginning of 2017 Wink (and we were as low as 20 satoshis then ...). So Slimcoin is one of the few "older" coins that could increase its value with respect to Bitcoin. I'm sure once another exchange is found the situation will improve again.

One more question please. Is there any other project using Proof of Burn please ?
I only remember one clone called TGcoin that uses PoB in the same way than Slimcoin, but it died 2-3 years ago. Other projects that use "Proof of Burn" like Counterparty use it for the initial distribution, not for consensus/block generation.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cctothemass

Activity: 686
Merit: 287

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 12:00:32 AM

Is https://bchain.info/SLM/ correct? I don't see my transaction from exchange and burning transaction here. Wallet crushes after burning. I think, that i lose my funds Sad Can someone confirm that txid: 6242764151ebcace4589b88371007bb8411822f7d11ffae028738919d4253f1b and burn txid: d86b261b82e46810a82f85bde69b77e2a93d363ace761d8856d17d3d13c5e6f6
eddycurrent

Activity: 61
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:35:12 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2017, 01:57:27 AM by eddycurrent

Hello,

No, I do not think that it is correct as from what I can see, the last block visible on bchain.info is from 3 days ago.

Regards
Pages: « 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: