Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:48:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN launches 4th generation Bitcoin mining ASIC: BM1385  (Read 39257 times)
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 07:39:05 PM

Yes I am sure you are right on the level shifting, another nice component reduction.

On detail you could help me with, I am in the middle of repairing an S5 board. I had assumed that the address inputs would have some grounded pins giving each chip a unique address, however they seem to be unconnected, so I assume that software addressing is used? Just wondered "slimply" how that works? I see that BM1385 does not mention SW addressing but assume that is an omission?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 07:50:47 PM

I've never seen the BM1384 to really care what address each chip was given. Each chip is a comm relay, passing its input on to the next chip. Since we didn't really have protocol data before BM1385 datasheet was released, and since the software was Novak's job, I'm not entirely sure how work is divvied up on a per-chip basis. I was also surprised to see the S5 boards don't individually address chips, but not as surprised after testing addressing on a two-chip breakout board and realizing it pretty much didn't matter. So really I don't have an answer to your question.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 07:56:23 PM

Thanks, that's good enough for me if everything just works.  Smiley Had just expected to see some address pins grounded.

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 08:32:15 PM

I haven't read all these 14 pages, any idea when approx an actual miner might be released?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 08:33:07 PM

I haven't read all these 14 pages, any idea when approx an actual miner might be released?

No indication yet.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 10:45:14 PM

Can we expect the S7 miners to still be profitable after the Bitcoin halving or will we still be seeing new and improved chips before that?
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 10:53:00 PM

Can we expect the S7 miners to still be profitable after the Bitcoin halving or will we still be seeing new and improved chips before that?

There is no reasonable answer to this question at this time, nor even after the the S7 produced. There are at least 5 variables that determine it's profitability 10 months from now (roughly the halving  date).

1) When it's delivered.

2) It's power consumption

3) It's hashrate.

4) What the BTC price is after halving.

5) The difficulty after halving or shortly thereafter.

6) What your electricity price is. If it's $.10 or higher now, it almost certainly won't be profitable except briefly at introduction.

scyth33

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 10:54:43 PM

slush pool hashrate increased by 10ph/s in the last 24 hours... new miners being tested?
Starin

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Infected Mushroom

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 10:55:13 PM

If halving happened right now, with this diffuculty, the profibility of S7 would be exactly the same of S5 right now as it seems like it is using half the energy an s5 uses. But as we are talking about future, calculations cant exactly be accurate and it would involve assumptions.

generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 12:25:02 AM

slush pool hashrate increased by 10ph/s in the last 24 hours... new miners being tested?

I imagine that bitmain would test on their own pool.

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 01:52:41 AM

No indication yet.

Third Q of 2015 which usually falls over into the 4th Q . so to say when no one really knows when but bitmain they have some kind of set date, if i had to guess maybe by the end of OCT at the latest if not then, or before, then around Xmas with a discount . Smiley .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 01:57:04 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 08:00:25 AM by toptek

That's not bitmain if it was like some one else said they would be on there own pool or off some were we don't know of.

when the S7 hit well know for sure count on that.

whats happening on slash pool is the voting for bigger blocks size . There face book page explains it all .  no more off topic  sorry this is and isn't .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:43:46 PM

whats happening on slash pool is the voting for bigger blocks size .

That's what I thought at first too. But if you look at the pool stats this whale is not pointed at the BIP101 port. And it is a whale, since it's got over 12 PH/s.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:46:49 PM

That's what I thought at first too. But if you look at the pool stats this whale is not pointed at the BIP101 port. And it is a whale, since it's got over 12 PH/s.

Is it a XT port or a BIP101 port? Because those arent the same thing. At all.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:57:41 PM

I don't think it's easy to tell which ports folks are using on Slush. The one hint I have found is under the "Pool Statisitics" tab is a chart with PH rate graphs broken out with BIP101 as one of the labels. I don't see an XT labeled line. My simplistic understanding is that SLUSH is essentially "labeling" blocks according to which pool you use. I think that BIP101 is the moniker that he's using at this time, but the whole XT/BIP101/Blocksize fiasco is terribly confusing for most folks. It's quite possible I have this wrong, as I expect about 90% of the miners in the world do.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 04:00:47 PM

I don't think it's easy to tell which ports folks are using on Slush. The one hint I have found is under the "Pool Statisitics" tab is a chart with PH rate graphs broken out with BIP101 as one of the labels. I don't see an XT labeled line. My simplistic understanding is that SLUSH is essentially "labeling" blocks according to which pool you use. I think that BIP101 is the moniker that he's using at this time, but the whole XT/BIP101/Blocksize fiasco is terribly confusing for most folks. It's quite possible I have this wrong, as I expect about 90% of the miners in the world do.

Yes it is horribly confusing. Because many confuse XT with BIP100 or BIP101, they thing "Oh they all bring block increase so its all the same and finally there's actual code that was released that could do it! Wowe!" and they miss the whole fact XT include non related code as well.

It would be very nice to not see whales and big pools obfuscate their vote for XT by labeling it BIP10X. Hopefully the S7 hash stays out of it too.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2015, 04:10:08 PM

Yes it is horribly confusing. Because many confuse XT with BIP100 or BIP101, they thing "Oh they all bring block increase so its all the same and finally there's actual code that was released that could do it! Wowe!" and they miss the whole fact XT include non related code as well.

Only the BIP101 part of XT would cause a hardfork. So from the pool's perspective it makes sense to vote for/against that specific BIP, whether it's implemented in XT or in Core.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 04:24:27 PM

Only the BIP101 part of XT would cause a hardfork. So from the pool's perspective it makes sense to vote for/against that specific BIP, whether it's implemented in XT or in Core.

I understand why they're classed together then, but i wouldn't personally. I'd say XT is a step worser.

But anyways, i think avoiding the hard fork way is the way to go. With a strict implemention of BIP100, i think we would be better off.

I hope Bitmain will feel that way too, since with their size, they can basically prevent it from happening since i think BIP100 would need over 75% of block for 10 days strait?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2015, 04:37:33 PM

I understand why they're classed together then, but i wouldn't personally. I'd say XT is a step worser.

But anyways, i think avoiding the hard fork way is the way to go. With a strict implemention of BIP100, i think we would be better off.

I hope Bitmain will feel that way too, since with their size, they can basically prevent it from happening since i think BIP100 would need over 75% of block for 10 days strait?

BIP100 would need a hard fork too. It has a different way of adjusting the block size - 90% majority, continuous voting by pools.

BIP101 is the one that needs 75% and it's looking at the last 1000 blocks (~7 days), starting in January. There is no voting after that, block size set to 8MB then doubles every 2 years.

The whole thing is mostly political. I'm guessing big pools would prefer BIP100 as they could wield influence with voting. For the little guy BIP101 with its predictable schedule works fine.

Anyway, this is getting off topic, sorry.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 05:04:12 PM

It would be very nice to not see whales and big pools obfuscate their vote for XT by labeling it BIP10X. Hopefully the S7 hash stays out of it too.

This is what happened to me.  I got both BIP101 and BIP100 confused and thought that there was finally a consensus. I've only been following the debate off and on.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: