Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:46:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 01:37:20 AM

so core devs control all the nodes and miners now  Roll Eyes

Core devs control the code that ~85% of the network nodes elect to run.  This is presently Bitcoin's greatest point of centralization.  

Right.  So it wouldn't be unreasonable that Gavin would would ask for "only" 75% consensus to offset the status quo bias. 
At least in my opinion.

This is more conflation of decentralization of "development" vs. that of the protocol. Consensus refers to the protocol -- not the node client. That the development process is centralized is absolutely no excuse to compromise the basic, basic principle of consensus. 75% to hard fork is 75%, no matter how you rationalize it.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 01:43:02 AM

Core devs control the code that ~85% of the network nodes elect to run.  This is presently Bitcoin's greatest point of centralization.  

Right.  So it wouldn't be unreasonable that Gavin would would ask for "only" 75% consensus to offset the status quo bias. 
At least in my opinion.

This is more conflation of decentralization of "development" vs. that of the protocol. Consensus refers to the protocol -- not the node client. That the development process is centralized is absolutely no excuse to compromise the basic, basic principle of consensus. 75% to hard fork is 75%, no matter how you rationalize it.

If Core doesn't scale expect a divorce at some point. Even if it means forking at 50%. I will personally be fine with it.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 01:50:39 AM

At least in my opinion.

The current consensus of the protocol has a certain entrenchment by virtue of the core repository.  That is why there is a status quo bias of the protocol rules.

brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:43:32 AM

Right.  So it wouldn't be unreasonable that Gavin would would ask for "only" 75% consensus to offset the status quo bias.  
At least in my opinion.

If Core doesn't scale expect a divorce at some point. Even if it means forking at 50%. I will personally be fine with it.

Enjoy your 0.50$ bitcoin then.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:46:43 AM

Right.  So it wouldn't be unreasonable that Gavin would would ask for "only" 75% consensus to offset the status quo bias.  
At least in my opinion.

I wonder which coin will worth 0.50$. The one that scales and is useful or the one that doesn't and is useless?

Please advice.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:50:24 AM

At least in my opinion.

I wonder which coin will worth 0.50$. The one that scales and is useful or the one that doesn't and is useless?

Please advice.

the one that is truly decentralized?  Or the one that relies on lightning network 'trusted super nodes' ?

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:51:50 AM

At least in my opinion.

Please advice.

If Bitcoin is forked by 50% the trust in cryptocurrency in general will be destroyed.

You really are clueless about what a hardfork entails heh?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:52:35 AM

Both you noobs need to read this and educate yourself

http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/measuring-decentralization/

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:55:15 AM

At least in my opinion.

Please advice.

If Bitcoin is forked by 50% the trust in cryptocurrency in general will be destroyed.

Meh. The bitcoin that scales will make its way to the mainstream while nobody (expect bitcointalk.org) will ever know about this silly episode on bitcoin history.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:57:00 AM

Both you noobs need to read this and educate yourself

http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/measuring-decentralization/

This article doesn't address scaling at all nor propose anything in that way so I couldn't care less.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:58:15 AM

A hard fork would be bad for bitcoin, I would agree to that.
I don't think it will come to that.

RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2015, 02:59:35 AM

I agree with you here, if we see a hard fork, or really any drastic change, I think that the market will almost certainly reflect that negatively.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:01:26 AM

I agree with you here, if we see a hard fork, or really any drastic change, I think that the market will almost certainly reflect that negatively.

That would be a bump in the road in the grand scheme of things.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2015, 03:01:39 AM

At least in my opinion.

Your opinion is completely wrong.  Organofcorti exhaustively demonstrated why (given the presence of spoofed nodes) 75% is the most unreasonable, optimally bad number possible.

And why are you still pretending XT/101 has any chance of happening?  101 is the 'red uniform' BIP.  It's dead, Jim.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:04:40 AM

At least in my opinion.

Please advice.

the one that is truly decentralized?  Or the one that relies on lightning network 'trusted super nodes' ?

Good enough decentralization will be good enough. With or without lightning network that doesn't yet exist.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:05:30 AM

At least in my opinion.

Please advice.

Meh. The bitcoin that scales will make its way to the mainstream while nobody (expect bitcointalk.org) will ever know about this silly episode on bitcoin history.

Roll Eyes

you redditards and your mainstream. you'd sell your soul to the devil if that could fulfill your wet dreams of moon

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:09:35 AM

At least in my opinion.

Please advice.

Roll Eyes

you redditards and your mainstream. you'd sell your soul to the devil if that could fulfill your wet dreams of moon

Sorry if I see the potential of whole new business models and area of commerce bitcoin could bring while you don't. Bitcoin that doesn't scale doesn't fit that vision and that vision will happen without bitcoin that doesn't scale.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:15:58 AM

At least in my opinion.

Please advice.

Roll Eyes

Sorry if I see the potential of whole new business models and area of commerce bitcoin could bring while you don't. Bitcoin that doesn't scale doesn't fit that vision and that vision will happen without bitcoin that doesn't scale.

Your vision for Bitcoin is, quite honestly, pathetic.

Step outside for a minute and realise there are things more important to disrupt then "commerce". I guess that's the consumer in you speaking...Don't worry, we'll have a sidechain for you to buy your lattes.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:16:52 AM

Your opinion is completely wrong.  Organofcorti exhaustively demonstrated why (given the presence of spoofed nodes) 75% is the most unreasonable, optimally bad number possible.

And why are you still pretending XT/101 has any chance of happening?  101 is the 'red uniform' BIP.  It's dead, Jim.   Grin

Its not nodes.  Its mined blocks.  derp.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:21:33 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2015, 03:49:26 AM by knight22

-snip-

Your vision for Bitcoin is, quite honestly, pathetic.

Step outside for a minute and realise there are things more important to disrupt then "commerce". I guess that's the consumer in you speaking...Don't worry, we'll have a sidechain for you to buy your lattes.

And how sidechains solve the scaling exactly? It just moves the bloat elsewhere where people will have to run full bloat sidechain nodes. It's a pathetic solution that complicates everything for almost no gain.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: