Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:40:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The 21 Bitcoin Computer  (Read 11782 times)
Mr Felt

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 01:32:57 AM

I wonder where the targeted markets and customers are for this product. So far, I have seen here people said it was an interesting product, but no one said that he would buy one. It seems everyone is hoping someone else but himself will buy it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're their own target market (through a subsidiary co, partner, investor company (possibly with overlapping ownership)).  More to the point, it's very possible this device will be part of another device, system, or service not yet made public (possibly through a subsidiary or related entity, partner, etc).   By analogy, think about how those Solar City pv panels fit nicely w/ those Tesla batteries for your auto and home, and how SC and T's innovations in PV and energy storage will give them opportunities to meet all kinds of SpaceX client needs in the future (energy generation, energy storage, battery operated autonomous vehicles, software for all this stuff, etc.).  Musk's multi-pronged operation demands its own factories (spare part demand alone may justify it).  Given the folks behind 21 as well as the published funding amounts, its probably not unreasonable to think that 21 is up to a lot more than what has been made public today. 
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 01:36:54 AM

Exactly, and more importantly: you likely won't have to pay for transactions fees.

And wait several hours to get your transaction included into a rare 21inc block?

They're currently mining 3-4 blocks a day. Enough to regularly settle millions of microtransactions on chain. Think of it like a payment channel maybe?

Moreover, if they succeed in their plan to embed mining chips into every internet connected devices I can imagine that could eventually considerably increase their share of the mining market.

Then you dont know what the fuck the mining cost is.

You think running this device is free?

The point is not about having breakeven point, anyone with half brain already know home mining is long gone. The point is the operating COST of this device.

Whats stopping spamming attack on their mining network if what you "described" is their actual service?

You sound dumber every posts.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:32:49 AM

BTW, the 21 inc computer is for pre-order at the moment...
Personally, I have a bit of strange feeling about the term "pre-order" in bitcoin mining world...
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:48:50 AM

BTW, the 21 inc computer is for pre-order at the moment...
Personally, I have a bit of strange feeling about the term "pre-order" in bitcoin mining world...

We're not talking about Butterfly labs here....

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:00:17 AM

How about connecting it to a vending machine?
If it had a qr scanner it could accept bitcoin payments and pay for its own supplies and electricity.

PS- who else hates spell correctors that type "Bitcoin" when you mean "bitcoin?"  Angry
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 04:04:48 AM

little machines autonomously making money online, is this the beginnings of skynet?

Buy 21 bitcoins or die!

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:08:08 AM

The main question is: Does it fork?  Grin Will it be able to withstand a hard-fork?

By mining on their pool, with their device, your tx will always have high priority against all other tx from others users.
You have paid for this, and you will maintaining the pool and then the priority.

This should be read twice by the people thinking about ROI.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:27:03 AM

I have never really understood the ambitious idea of 21 Inc. After seeing this I'm more confused. It does not fit into any practical use I can think of... A freelance market for developers? Who is going to buy those software/app? Another guy having same 21 bitcoin computer?  Grin

Micro payment is a dead end, many enterprises have tried and gave up in favor of bulk rate charge model

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 05:42:30 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2015, 05:56:53 AM by odolvlobo

Here are the benefits that 21 claim:

A new approach to micropayments.

Micropayments means sending small amounts of money. Mining a small amount of money does not make it any easier to send a small amount of money.

Silicon-as-a-service.

Parallel or not, it makes little economic sense for a device to mine bitcoins in addition to its normal function.

Decentralized device authentication.

Sending bitcoins from an address is an inefficient and outmoded method of authentication. It is cheaper and more effective to sign something other than a bitcoin transaction. Either way, it doesn't require mining.

Machine Twitter.

Mining is not necessary to monitor the block chain.

Devices that can pay for associated services.
Devices that can pay your channel partners.

There are simpler and more cost effective methods for devices to pay for services and subscriptions, and they don't involve mining. Furthermore, the device will eventually not be able to mine enough bitcoins to pay for the service. Then what happens?

Bitcoin-subsidized devices for the developing world.

It is hard to see how the device can effectively subsidize its own cost plus the cost of a cell phone at the rate of a couple dollars per month.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 05:55:53 AM

21 is promoting paying for content directly as opposed to ad-supported content. That is roughly analogous to broadcast TV vs. cable.  It's a different business model, but one that can only be done with microtransactions. To continue the metaphor, it would be like paying for cable every time you changed the channel instead of a monthly bill.  Currently, that cost is supported primarily by the block subsidy, and runs at about 65 kWh per transaction. (300 MW mining network, 1.27 transactions per second.) That's about $4 per transaction. Also, at the current 7 TPS (or less) transaction limit,  There couldn't possibly be more than a thousand users of this premium internet before it bogs down and takes our entire network with it.

Weirdly, 21 publicly supports BIP100, the proposal to increase blocksize and therefor transaction capacity only when a majority of mining votes to do so. Why?  The only logical explanation is that they expect to dominate mining and vote to increase blocksize FASTER than BIP101 would automatically increase it!

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 05:56:10 AM

$400 seems a little expensive for a modded RPi2?

also, can you buy this thing with bitcoin? no? well...

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 06:00:23 AM

$400 seems a little expensive for a modded RPi2?

also, can you buy this thing with bitcoin? no? well...

Raspberri pi:  $35
63 GH/s antminer U3: $20
128GB SD card: $25
wifi dongle $10
total hardware: $90

21 microcomputer $400.00???

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
NoRespect

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:04:16 AM

wow,,,that's a cool device  Shocked
P-Funk

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Token

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:07:16 AM

This thing is a joke. All I see is discussion of its technical merits or lack thereof, but the real question is why are they making it? I think they are trying to keep investors happy and prove they're not producing vapor.
devil11

Activity: 398

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:09:02 AM

Hmm...
So good kind of thing but my out range !!
I like this invention  Smiley
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 06:29:05 AM

The 21 Bitcoin Computer

Today we’re announcing a new kind of device for sale: the 21 Bitcoin Computer...

LiteCoinGuy, you work for 21?

What's the expected ROI (in time) on this $400 machine. And don't tell me "well that depends on...", of course it depends on a lot of things, but any company that wants to sell something will do the assumptions for us and let us know how quickly this machine brings home the profit!

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:47:37 AM

Exactly, and more importantly: you likely won't have to pay for transactions fees.

And wait several hours to get your transaction included into a rare 21inc block?

They're currently mining 3-4 blocks a day. Enough to regularly settle millions of microtransactions on chain. Think of it like a payment channel maybe?

4 blocks is 4 MB. They can only settle millions of microtranasctions if each is about one byte. Or they could be settled offchain, but you don't need mining for that at all. If you only settle once a month you have 30 bytes. That won't work either.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:50:28 AM

Yes, you can indeed make a profit with the 21 Bitcoin Computer. However, you would do so not by directly selling bitcoin, but by selling digital goods for bitcoin. That is, you are not going to get rich by immediately selling the bitcoin mined by the device for offline currency, but you can potentially do very well by selling digital goods and services to others for their bitcoin.

Wow, what a freaking scam! I was kind of borderline with this whole thing, but flat out deceiving people like that is just wrong.

"you can potentially do very well by selling digital goods..." So that has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS 21 COMPUTER THEN!

It's like saying "Yes, you can indeed make a profit with McDonalds Big Macs. However you would do so not by directly eating the Big Macs, but by working somewhere and getting paid to do so."

vrm86

Activity: 676
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:04:08 AM

1. Buying / selling goods with command line? WHAT?

2. How mining BTC on a single chip can enhance business profits?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:14:43 AM

another uselesses expensive device, that only few rich elite will buy, just to try it

we have enough of this already, they should think first to accomodate the majority and get rid of those niche things
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: