Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:45:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ACTUAL Butterfly Labs PCB pics!  (Read 40314 times)
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:23:18 AM

ASICs look like RAM chips on an 8GB DDR3 module lol.

lol?

You do realize that both the word "chip" in "RAM chip" and the "IC" in "ASIC" mean Integrated Circuit, don't you.
And as they are both integrated circuits, it is not really surprising (or humorous) that they look similar when soldered onto a board.

Is there any way to tell what process was used to make the device just from pictures? 130nm?

Nah, from the shade of gray I'd say it's most probably 65nm.

Wow. Just wow.
The level of ignorance on this Forum sometimes astounds me.

They're friggen dark grey squares with no markings, how the hell is anyone supposed to determine the technology used.
(X-ray vision does not work over the Interwebs.)

If the parts were even ever marked at some point (and early engineering samples often are not) you can be sure that BFL would have sanded the markings off like they did with the Atratix chips in their previous generation products.

And yes, I know it's "Stratix", not "Atratix", I just find it funny how people have been quoting the original typo without ever realizing it.

I don't know that's all I was asking? Don't have a holy-fucking-shit-coniption. I've just heard a lot of talk about "I wonder what technology they're gonna use?" and was just wondering if there is a way to tell other than hooking the fuckers up to a computer or something. That's all, get it? The question was answered immediately after I asked it. Just sayin'

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 07:36:32 AM

.... scheduled to be released in late November or December.

Cry

Oh for fucks sake.

If it gets delayed anymore the SC is going to be allocated as "Andrew's Christmas present" by the Mrs

O.o
or Valentine's Day.
Xfinity

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:02:16 AM

I can't wait for my singles to arrive anymore, thanks for posting the pics.

Donations (BTC): 1L8EcGAuaDNK4kNxAbEBawo8ZaeFZvibgj
dani

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

..yeah

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:11:10 AM

it looks nice. i like the heatpipes and copper. I see one connector for fans on the front (on bfl website) and 1 pin on the backside that may belong to another fan connector (i know they are not called "fan connector", 3pin connector? whatev). i really hope those are meant for the sc minirig, because otherwise i assume they are planned for cooling the single actively.

If not 60watt seem legit for a cooler that size. Hm..

Hai
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:25:11 AM

Woohoo pics!  Thanks.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:28:23 AM

The Single SC as a whole will have a base area of 98x98mm fully assembled, and will be 74mm high

according to http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/ and looking at the picture of an single bfl shwos on there website, i see there must be some "air" above the cooler.
comparing heigth vs length (74mm vs 98mm) there must be like 2/3 of it made of air (speaking of the heigth). more than enough space for a fan.
But maybe they just like to build something similiar lookin to their fpga, wasting space for no use at all. Whats it gonna be?

Hai
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:33:52 AM

I think it's about 30Gh for one board if they are using 65nm, or 60Gh preboard if they are using 40nm.
And i think there must be another heat sink at the backside of the board.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:16:42 AM

I think it's about 30Gh for one board if they are using 65nm, or 60Gh preboard if they are using 40nm.
So you suppose a low nanometer product, this would agree with a low power usage, do you think their estimates to be possible?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:30:23 AM

it looks nice. i like the heatpipes and copper. I see one connector for fans on the front (on bfl website) and 1 pin on the backside that may belong to another fan connector (i know they are not called "fan connector", 3pin connector? whatev). i really hope those are meant for the sc minirig, because otherwise i assume they are planned for cooling the single actively.

The heatsink your looking at is the one currently used on the FPGA Single (they have not updated the pic as of yet to an image of a ASIC ),which consumed 80 watts & was designed for a 72F enviroment.

But they may be able use something similar on the ASIC,just beefed up a little to allow it to operate in an environment of 90F this time.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:31:25 AM

So you suppose a low nanometer product, this would agree with a low power usage, do you think their estimates to be possible?

my estimates all based on their announced specifications. it's a backward induction.

ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:41:03 AM

The heatsink your looking at is the one currently used on the FPGA Single (they have not updated the pic as of yet to an image of a ASIC ),which consumed 80 watts & was designed for a 72F enviroment.

But they may be able use something similar on the ASIC,just beefed up a little to allow it to operate in an environment of 90F this time.

a major issue is the FPGA they are using (e.g. Altera S3) is a flip-chip package. and their ASIC is low cost wire-bond QFN. this package glue the DIE to the metal GND pad at the bottom. the θJb (to board)is low but the θJt (to top) is high. so it won't work whatever you do from the top.

my question is, as a ASIC developer too, i will prepare everything before our chip comes back, and will know if it work or not in a few hours test. now there are well assembled board pictures, but still no testing data.

why? Huh
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 09:43:16 AM

Just as a side note, the board is 92mm X 92mm.

Regards,
Nasser

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:45:04 AM

a major issue is the FPGA they are using (e.g. Altera S3) is a flip-chip package. and their ASIC is low cost wire-bond QFN. this package glue the DIE to the metal GND pad at the bottom. the θJb (to board)is low but the θJt (to top) is high. so it won't work whatever you do from the top.

my question is, as a ASIC developer too, i will prepare everything before our chip comes back, and will know if it work or not in a few hours test. now there are well assembled board pictures, but still no testing data.

why? Huh

To build suspense in us doe eyed fools???  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:50:14 AM

Here is a full-sized side by side wallpaper  Grin.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:53:08 AM

Just as a side note, the board is 92mm X 92mm.

Regards,
Nasser
... and the hand in the OP is fake right ...
Photoshop FTW Smiley

Was it scaled correctly or is that one a little off?

The 2nd post looks real, but I think the 1st hand is a Photoshop.

Edit: the thumb shadow gives it away Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:55:38 AM

Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed too. They've basically got the entire thickness of the plastic chip package insulating their die from the heatsink that's meant to be cooling it.

And that's the other one. At this point I don't even believe major hardware manufacturers who show off pretty boards without bothering to mention little details like whether they actually work; NVidia famously pulled off a similar stunt, for instance.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:11:38 AM

Do my eyes decieve me, but does ASIC chip 4 (1st on second row) look like its bulged out?

POP!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:06:38 PM

http://www.anonmgur.com/up/746d0a6ba54410ec39c8209abd266dc1.jpg

Do my eyes decieve me, but does ASIC chip 4 (1st on second row) look like its bulged out?

POP!

Those ASICS look like a square piece of black duct tape lol
dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:15:51 PM

other than the weird bulged out one.. they look great but do they work?

poop!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:24:58 PM

other than the weird bulged out one.. they look great but do they work?
With a bulge that big I doubt it. It wouldn't mate evenly with the HeatSink.

Might be a defective board they are holding in front of the camera.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: