Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:55:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: ACTUAL Butterfly Labs PCB pics!  (Read 40314 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:05:52 PM

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:06:50 PM

Awesome! Can't wait to get mine!

EDIT: Here is the other pic for those that are too lazy to click the link

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:15:00 PM

.... scheduled to be released in late November or December.

Cry

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:22:42 PM

Cry
Damn... I guess late October was never going to happen.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:25:55 PM

neither is november or december..

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:27:55 PM

I highly doubt November will happen. I was beat to the punch.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:36:27 PM

Is there any way to tell what process was used to make the device just from pictures? 130nm?

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:37:58 PM

Is there any way to tell what process was used to make the device just from pictures? 130nm?

The physical package dimensions won't really tell you anything  Undecided
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:43:55 PM

The physical package dimensions won't really tell you anything  Undecided

That's what I figured. Although, I was only guessing because I know next to nothing about the subject.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:45:37 PM

It's becoming interesting.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:48:46 PM

Nice Smiley

Looking like an incredibly elaborate long-con now Wink
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:52:13 PM

It's either smaller than I expected or the hand model is a giant.
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:36:54 AM

Its theoretical maximum output is even higher, but the decision was made to limit the computing power of each chip to provide quieter operation.

I'm putting this in a server room.  It will be around several 60db+ fans.

BFL, please allow me to increase it to the maximum safe non-quiet mode.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:44:56 AM

ASICs look like RAM chips on an 8GB DDR3 module lol.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:52:23 AM

Based on the standard stacking connector size, de board seems to be 70x70 mm.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:53:35 AM

interesting, to put it lightly.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:50:40 AM

It's small
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:04:36 AM

Each of the eight black squares on the board is a chip capable of computing 7.5 GH/s. Its theoretical maximum output is even higher, but the decision was made to limit the computing power of each chip to provide quieter operation.

This is what I'll be tracking. Reminds me of the old governors we had to put on cars that could go faster but weren't allowed.
Hack.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:48:22 AM

Cry

Oh for fucks sake.

If it gets delayed anymore the SC is going to be allocated as "Andrew's Christmas present" by the Mrs

O.o

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Minor

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:16:37 AM

lol?

You do realize that both the word "chip" in "RAM chip" and the "IC" in "ASIC" mean Integrated Circuit, don't you.
And as they are both integrated circuits, it is not really surprising (or humorous) that they look similar when soldered onto a board.

Nah, from the shade of gray I'd say it's most probably 65nm.

Wow. Just wow.
The level of ignorance on this Forum sometimes astounds me.

They're friggen dark grey squares with no markings, how the hell is anyone supposed to determine the technology used.
(X-ray vision does not work over the Interwebs.)

If the parts were even ever marked at some point (and early engineering samples often are not) you can be sure that BFL would have sanded the markings off like they did with the Atratix chips in their previous generation products.

And yes, I know it's "Stratix", not "Atratix", I just find it funny how people have been quoting the original typo without ever realizing it.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:23:18 AM

lol?

You do realize that both the word "chip" in "RAM chip" and the "IC" in "ASIC" mean Integrated Circuit, don't you.
And as they are both integrated circuits, it is not really surprising (or humorous) that they look similar when soldered onto a board.

Nah, from the shade of gray I'd say it's most probably 65nm.

Wow. Just wow.
The level of ignorance on this Forum sometimes astounds me.

They're friggen dark grey squares with no markings, how the hell is anyone supposed to determine the technology used.
(X-ray vision does not work over the Interwebs.)

If the parts were even ever marked at some point (and early engineering samples often are not) you can be sure that BFL would have sanded the markings off like they did with the Atratix chips in their previous generation products.

And yes, I know it's "Stratix", not "Atratix", I just find it funny how people have been quoting the original typo without ever realizing it.

I don't know that's all I was asking? Don't have a holy-fucking-shit-coniption. I've just heard a lot of talk about "I wonder what technology they're gonna use?" and was just wondering if there is a way to tell other than hooking the fuckers up to a computer or something. That's all, get it? The question was answered immediately after I asked it. Just sayin'

Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 07:36:32 AM

Cry

Oh for fucks sake.

If it gets delayed anymore the SC is going to be allocated as "Andrew's Christmas present" by the Mrs

O.o
or Valentine's Day.
Xfinity

Activity: 127

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:02:16 AM

I can't wait for my singles to arrive anymore, thanks for posting the pics.

Donations (BTC): 1L8EcGAuaDNK4kNxAbEBawo8ZaeFZvibgj
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:11:10 AM

it looks nice. i like the heatpipes and copper. I see one connector for fans on the front (on bfl website) and 1 pin on the backside that may belong to another fan connector (i know they are not called "fan connector", 3pin connector? whatev). i really hope those are meant for the sc minirig, because otherwise i assume they are planned for cooling the single actively.

If not 60watt seem legit for a cooler that size. Hm..

Hai
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:25:11 AM

Woohoo pics!  Thanks.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:28:23 AM

The Single SC as a whole will have a base area of 98x98mm fully assembled, and will be 74mm high

according to http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/ and looking at the picture of an single bfl shwos on there website, i see there must be some "air" above the cooler.
comparing heigth vs length (74mm vs 98mm) there must be like 2/3 of it made of air (speaking of the heigth). more than enough space for a fan.
But maybe they just like to build something similiar lookin to their fpga, wasting space for no use at all. Whats it gonna be?

Hai
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:33:52 AM

I think it's about 30Gh for one board if they are using 65nm, or 60Gh preboard if they are using 40nm.
And i think there must be another heat sink at the backside of the board.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:16:42 AM

I think it's about 30Gh for one board if they are using 65nm, or 60Gh preboard if they are using 40nm.
So you suppose a low nanometer product, this would agree with a low power usage, do you think their estimates to be possible?

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:30:23 AM

it looks nice. i like the heatpipes and copper. I see one connector for fans on the front (on bfl website) and 1 pin on the backside that may belong to another fan connector (i know they are not called "fan connector", 3pin connector? whatev). i really hope those are meant for the sc minirig, because otherwise i assume they are planned for cooling the single actively.

The heatsink your looking at is the one currently used on the FPGA Single (they have not updated the pic as of yet to an image of a ASIC ),which consumed 80 watts & was designed for a 72F enviroment.

But they may be able use something similar on the ASIC,just beefed up a little to allow it to operate in an environment of 90F this time.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:31:25 AM

So you suppose a low nanometer product, this would agree with a low power usage, do you think their estimates to be possible?

my estimates all based on their announced specifications. it's a backward induction.

ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:41:03 AM

The heatsink your looking at is the one currently used on the FPGA Single (they have not updated the pic as of yet to an image of a ASIC ),which consumed 80 watts & was designed for a 72F enviroment.

But they may be able use something similar on the ASIC,just beefed up a little to allow it to operate in an environment of 90F this time.

a major issue is the FPGA they are using (e.g. Altera S3) is a flip-chip package. and their ASIC is low cost wire-bond QFN. this package glue the DIE to the metal GND pad at the bottom. the θJb (to board)is low but the θJt (to top) is high. so it won't work whatever you do from the top.

my question is, as a ASIC developer too, i will prepare everything before our chip comes back, and will know if it work or not in a few hours test. now there are well assembled board pictures, but still no testing data.

why? Huh
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 09:43:16 AM

Just as a side note, the board is 92mm X 92mm.

Regards,
Nasser

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:45:04 AM

a major issue is the FPGA they are using (e.g. Altera S3) is a flip-chip package. and their ASIC is low cost wire-bond QFN. this package glue the DIE to the metal GND pad at the bottom. the θJb (to board)is low but the θJt (to top) is high. so it won't work whatever you do from the top.

my question is, as a ASIC developer too, i will prepare everything before our chip comes back, and will know if it work or not in a few hours test. now there are well assembled board pictures, but still no testing data.

why? Huh

To build suspense in us doe eyed fools???  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:50:14 AM

Here is a full-sized side by side wallpaper  Grin.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:53:08 AM

Just as a side note, the board is 92mm X 92mm.

Regards,
Nasser
... and the hand in the OP is fake right ...
Photoshop FTW Smiley

Was it scaled correctly or is that one a little off?

The 2nd post looks real, but I think the 1st hand is a Photoshop.

Edit: the thumb shadow gives it away Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:55:38 AM

Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed too. They've basically got the entire thickness of the plastic chip package insulating their die from the heatsink that's meant to be cooling it.

And that's the other one. At this point I don't even believe major hardware manufacturers who show off pretty boards without bothering to mention little details like whether they actually work; NVidia famously pulled off a similar stunt, for instance.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Zeek_W

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:11:38 AM

Do my eyes decieve me, but does ASIC chip 4 (1st on second row) look like its bulged out?

POP!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:06:38 PM

http://www.anonmgur.com/up/746d0a6ba54410ec39c8209abd266dc1.jpg

Do my eyes decieve me, but does ASIC chip 4 (1st on second row) look like its bulged out?

POP!

Those ASICS look like a square piece of black duct tape lol
dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:15:51 PM

other than the weird bulged out one.. they look great but do they work?

poop!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:24:58 PM

other than the weird bulged out one.. they look great but do they work?
With a bulge that big I doubt it. It wouldn't mate evenly with the HeatSink.

Might be a defective board they are holding in front of the camera.
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:27:54 PM

Would be impressive if they were using 40 nm, but I somehow doubt it. The main reason being that it means there isn't much room to grow. As a company BFL would want to have room to lower the die size in order to make 'next-gen' ASICs that can run faster, cooler, and more efficiently. Unless they are gambling on there only being 1 generation of ASICs...
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:15:25 PM

Late November or December huh?  Makes me wish I had enough BTC to hedge my bets with Tom, so no matter who delivers first, I can get in before difficulty shoots sky high.
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:41:04 PM

Now if only they would post a screenshot of it actually mining...
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:40:09 PM

Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed too. They've basically got the entire thickness of the plastic chip package insulating their die from the heatsink that's meant to be cooling it.

And that's the other one. At this point I don't even believe major hardware manufacturers who show off pretty boards without bothering to mention little details like whether they actually work; NVidia famously pulled off a similar stunt, for instance.
This seems legit to me. I don't see wood screws anywhere.
salfter

Activity: 651

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 10:59:13 PM

It looks like all of the ASIC products will be built around the same board, populated differently. This raises a question: since the ASIC in the Jalapeño is significantly underclocked to keep power consumption down, would it be feasible to add in some of the power-supply components of the other models and a heatsink to get the Jalapeño running at the full 7.5 GH/s that the chip can deliver?

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:52:03 PM

Cry

late November or December. ? why so late?

kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:25:42 AM

It looks like all of the ASIC products will be built around the same board, populated differently. This raises a question: since the ASIC in the Jalapeño is significantly underclocked to keep power consumption down, would it be feasible to add in some of the power-supply components of the other models and a heatsink to get the Jalapeño running at the full 7.5 GH/s that the chip can deliver?
Hardware hacks are bound to show up soon after devices are delivered Smiley

It will just depends on the network difficulty if it will be worth the time and effort to try to OC the coffee warmer.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
nick0016

Activity: 120

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:48:34 AM

Nice screenshots, now we need a working prototype Wink

Likes Bitcoins!
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:50:18 AM

Bulged? Looks like they've been 'shopped to remove any manufacturer markings.
HolyScott

Activity: 181

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:33:45 AM

Thats what I was thinking when I first say the pics, the smudged out the markings on the chips.
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:05:23 AM

There is another photo with the device pictured on another angle. It is the same chip with the same bulge.

dip
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:14:38 AM

There is another photo with the device pictured on another angle. It is the same chip with the same bulge.
Got a link?

We should call it....BulgeGate!

A revolutionary 3D processor from BFL. [/joke/]

---------------------

Hopefully it is a manufacturing defect they actually noticed. Ever seen what happens when a heat-sink doesn't make good contact with the chips...totally fried. I hope they do visual inspections before final assembly.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:15:52 AM

If I had to take a stab at this configuration, I would say that a Single SC is actually comprised of 2 of those fully populated boards (each with 8 ASICs). Note the little off-white connectors on the board marked "Chain In" and Chain Out" which alludes to daisy chaining these little suckers (maybe just for the rig, but maybe not).

That would put a Little Single with 8 ASICs, which would be 3.75 GH/s per an ASIC. This is around what the Jalapeño is specced to run. They may be able to overclock it because they have less overall heat to dissipate with only 1 ASIC.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 04:25:36 AM

1 board per device, with the exception of the Minirig, which has 24.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
psilan

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:26:25 AM

Actually my mistake, the bulge pic was rotated.

dip
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:38:53 AM

POP!

Could be camera angle.. Could be a Photoshop job to remove something.. most likely, it's damage from someone not following MSD procedures.  Looks like typical popcorn damage.

Or it could be that it was an early sample where someone stuck an oscilloscope probe where they shouldn't have and shorted something out.  Not that I have any experience with doing that...

BFL, I will say one thing, the layout is pretty elegant.  Nice job.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:55:28 AM

1 board per device, with the exception of the Minirig, which has 24.

24boards x 60GHs/board = 1440GH/s = 1.44TH/s. Maybe they OC them a little bit to get to 1.5TH/s, or maybe the Singles run slightly higher than 60GH/s? 62.5GH/s would give them 1.5TH/s with 24 boards.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 05:20:19 AM

The theoretical max performance of a fully populated card is 128 GH/s.  It's highly unlikely that we'll ever get close to that peak performance.  Nevertheless, there's quite a bit of margin left above the 60 GH/s mark...   some of which is being enjoyed in the Mini Rig configuration of the card.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:28:50 AM

The theoretical max performance of a fully populated card is 128 GH/s.  It's highly unlikely that we'll ever get close to that peak performance.  Nevertheless, there's quite a bit of margin left above the 60 GH/s mark...   some of which is being enjoyed in the Mini Rig configuration of the card.

Shocked  WOW  Shocked

So maybe faster firmware,like the FPGA single,later on  Cool

thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:43:27 AM

The theoretical max performance of a fully populated card is 128 GH/s.  It's highly unlikely that we'll ever get close to that peak performance.  Nevertheless, there's quite a bit of margin left above the 60 GH/s mark...   some of which is being enjoyed in the Mini Rig configuration of the card.

Shocked  WOW  Shocked

So maybe faster firmware,like the FPGA single,later on  Cool

I would hope it's just something as simple as adjusting the clock rate, like configuring a GPU.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:47:21 AM

So the actual max is not 1Ghz but closer to 1.1Ghz.

With a max draw per chip of about 16 watts.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:59:48 AM

[Speculation]

If we go by what we do know....then a mini-rig has 192 chips (24 fully populated boards).

Each Chip runs at 7.8125Gh/s.
Consuming just under 8 watts per chip.

7.8125 X 8 = 62.5 Gh/s per module.

Each boards draws about 62.5 watts X 24 boards = 1500 watts

Not including fans and a few other devices with marginal draw. (hence their power supply is 1650watt if I recall correctly.

Edit: Assuming a mini-rig board is about 100mm between boards and is distributed at even distances of 3 x 4 into 2 separate stacks. It should occupy somewhere around 1' depth x 2 feet height and about 8 inches width.

Or roughly the size of a full tower computer case. (well minus the radiator if they use the water cooling techniques.)
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:07:05 AM

Hmm - would be good to see a Clock command in the firmware spec.

( Though last time I mentioned that quite a while ago, someone wasn't too happy about my wording ... )

I've just been playing with clock adjustments on the MMQ I got - was actually quite interesting in my opinion

Of course being able to adjust the Clock also requires some well defined specifications of the device limitations and performance and being able to accurately measure temperature
Though when devices hash 100x faster than they do now, it means dealing with the limitations properly is extremely important.

Anyway - we'll find out when the info comes out for each of the ASIC's what options there are with this sort of thing ...

Xfinity

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:41:38 AM

It's interesting times ahead for sure, cannot wait any longer now. All this information makes me want to have my singles now Wink.

HolyScott

Activity: 181

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:51:47 AM

I am happy and alot more confident now that we are gonna start getting our orders in the next couple weeks and it hasn't all just been a massive scam.
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:51:31 PM

any live demonstrations of the chip working or mining at this time?
Zeek_W

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:54:13 PM

any live demonstrations of the chip working or mining at this time?

Not likely

Azrael_PT

Activity: 190

Par Pari Refertur

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 01:29:54 PM

Looks nice.  Smiley

Waiting for my jalapeño.  Grin

Donations: 16WPtSGFtj7wH2TxQi5tZfdxtAG84zPVwD
CEX.IO
michaelmclees

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:06:24 PM

I am happy and alot more confident now that we are gonna start getting our orders in the next couple weeks and it hasn't all just been a massive scam.

Next couple weeks huh?  I hope you're right, but I fear you're way off, especially with the new announcement of shipping dates being November/December.
ice_chill

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:50:23 PM

I wonder what the ARM place holder is for ? how could an ARM chip benefit the board ?
hausmarke

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:04:16 PM

https://i.imgur.com/UTEvKh.jpg

Source: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/190-More-board-pics
ice_chill

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:12:16 PM

You thieved it from BFL's own forum, you thief Smiley

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/190-More-board-pics
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:48:57 PM

I wonder what the ARM place holder is for ? how could an ARM chip benefit the board ?

Add a network jack and some ram and you'd be able to have a low power standalone miner --- maybe?

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

can someone re-up the new pics? I cannot view them on the BFL forum as I havn't signed up

ice_chill

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:07:57 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2012, 10:20:42 PM by ice_chill

Add a network jack and some ram and you'd be able to have a low power standalone miner --- maybe?

That would work if the board had place holders for those additional things, but it does not so it would need a board re-design, which makes it pointless placing an ARM holder on the current board.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:16:09 PM

can someone re-up the new pics? I cannot view them on the BFL forum as I havn't signed up

Courtesy of: www.butterflylabs.com
Zeek_W

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:20:07 PM

Thanks Puerto

beekeeper

LTC

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:22:36 PM

Maybe one board, the one with ARM MCU soldered, will act as main controller or super controller in mining rig with all the other boards daisy chained.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:34:56 PM

Perfect! Thanks for the pics Puerto.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:39:53 PM

Quote from: BFL_Josh
Henrietta the flying pig makes a cameo along with a Jalapeno, a Minirig SC card and a bare board (waiting on chips!).
Quote from: bobitza
The jala will be the board with no capacitors and just 1 chip; the little will be the board with 4 chips and the single will be the board with 8 chips?
Quote from: BFL_Josh
Yep, pretty much.

So do you suppose they intend to use that reflow oven to add the needed chips to those boards?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
scrybe

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:01:27 AM

That would work if the board had place holders for those additional things, but it does not so it would need a board re-design, which makes it pointless placing an ARM holder on the current board.

what are the chances they could rework the bitstream on the Altera to drive an Ethernet or WiFi shield attached to one or both of those minirig-sc ports?

It does seem interesting to have that ARM label there in what seems to be a very logically thought out board otherwise.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:28:11 AM

Has anyone seen the back side of the board?  High speed DDR is often soldered right behind the processor..

And..

Something like this...
bce

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:52:46 AM

Updated wallpaper  Tongue
Xfinity

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 12:49:47 PM

Wallpaper

Nice one Wink.

On topic: I like the formfactor very much on these PCBs. Easy to cool.

Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:50:54 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 03:24:59 PM by Epoch

It is the same form factor as the current FPGA Singles.

The ASICs themselves appear to have a plastic top; not the most efficient thermal interface to a top-mounted metal heatsink. Although 7W/chip isn't huge, the combination of 8 of them in close proximity generates a lot of concentrated heat. Transferring 60W from plastic chips to a metal heatsink can be a challenge.

Also, mounting a monolithic heatsink across 8 separate chips poses another challenge: if those chips are not coplanar, the contact between the heatsink and some of the chips will not be 'perfect'; the gap will be taken up by the thermal transfer compound which would further restrict thermal conductivity.

The good news is that the SC Single uses less power than the FPGA Single, which will mitigate the situation a bit. Plus, the 8 ASIC chips, though plastic, have an overall larger surface area then the 2 metal-top FPGAs in the old Singles. More surface area makes it easier to transfer heat.

So all in all I don't think cooling these will be an issue; I'm sure BFL has already thought of all this and they have plenty of experience with the FPGA Singles. The SC board is 92mmx92mm, so it seems clear from the mounting holes that BFL will continue to use a standard 92mm fan for cooling.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 03:12:29 PM

The pics with Henrietta are taken with my 5DMk2, though I scale them down for the web of course.

We actually agonized a lot over the plastic issue and went through scenario after scenario due to specifically that fact.  There a bunch of vias on the bottom of the board, and we were originally going to cool it from the bottom instead of the top, but simulation after simulation showed it was more effective from the top, so that's what we went with.  But the vias are still there for a bit of extra oomph when the clock rate is bumped up.

There's a pic of the back of the board on the BFL forums.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 03:33:16 PM

It is the same form factor as the current FPGA Singles.

The ASICs themselves appear to have a plastic top; not the most efficient thermal interface to a top-mounted metal heatsink. Although 7W/chip isn't huge, the combination of 8 of them in close proximity generates a lot of concentrated heat. Transferring 60W from plastic chips to a metal heatsink can be a challenge.

Also, mounting a monolithic heatsink across 8 separate chips poses another challenge: if those chips are not coplanar, the contact between the heatsink and some of the chips will not be 'perfect'; the gap will be taken up by the thermal transfer compound which would further restrict thermal conductivity.

The good news is that the SC Single uses less power than the FPGA Single, which will mitigate the situation a bit. Plus, the 8 ASIC chips, though plastic, have an overall larger surface area then the 2 metal-top FPGAs in the old Singles. More surface area makes it easier to transfer heat.

So all in all I don't think cooling these will be an issue; I'm sure BFL has already thought of all this and they have plenty of experience with the FPGA Singles. The SC board is 92mmx92mm, so it seems clear from the mounting holes that BFL will continue to use a standard 92mm fan for cooling.

This is the very reason why most RAM chips you see use Termal Pads, rathern than a compound. Any possibility that pads would be used instead of compound, or would 60W be too much for them?

Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 03:35:36 PM

We actually agonized a lot over the plastic issue and went through scenario after scenario due to specifically that fact.  There a bunch of vias on the bottom of the board, and we were originally going to cool it from the bottom instead of the top, but simulation after simulation showed it was more effective from the top, so that's what we went with.  But the vias are still there for a bit of extra oomph when the clock rate is bumped up.

It may be worthwhile putting a passive heatsink on the bottom as well to give the device more thermal headroom. Some/most/all of my FPGA Singles have this (some also have a small fan at the bottom).

I do hope it does not become necessary to put a small fan at the bottom of the board; the FPGA Singles that have it can be very/too loud and makes it impossible to create a 'quiet Single' by replacing the top main fan only. And since the ASICs will likely not be 'under-clockable', we would be limited in how far we can reduce airflow to reduce noise (the FPGA Singles can be loaded with slower firmware to reduce thermal output; not so with ASICs unfortunately).

I suspect we won't really know the answer to this until BFL has had a chance to run these things at full load in an actual enclosure.
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:39:02 PM

It's not always easy to find something there, so the link is: the back of the board
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:40:54 PM

It's not always easy to find something there, so the link is: the back of the board

Have to login to view =[
Xfinity

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:04:56 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 07:15:46 PM by Xfinity

It may be worthwhile putting a passive heatsink on the bottom as well to give the device more thermal headroom. Some/most/all of my FPGA Singles have this (some also have a small fan at the bottom).

What passive heatsink are you using on the bottom?

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:15:34 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100662.msg1105307#msg1105307

Wink Grin Cheesy

Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:03:57 PM

Many of the shipping FPGA Singles have a passive heatsink on the bottom already. I was just suggesting that  a similar approach could be taken (by BFL) for the SC Singles.
bce

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:53:56 PM

If the boards are already made, and asics already placed, something like this would probably be enough:

What'd be ideal is if these were almost exactly the same height as the space between bottom of board to enclosure, so that if the thermal adhesive proves not to be reliable, at least the heatsinks will be kept in place (not a bunch of copper pieces shaking around and contacting the board).

Would it be possible to solder something like this to the board before the ASIC chips are placed?
psilan

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:08:57 PM

Here we go.

dip
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:18:12 PM

Courtesy of: www.butterflylabs.com
dooferorg

Activity: 163

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:43:13 PM

Pictures with the pig with wings to indicate that we'll get them ... when pigs fly?  Huh

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
abeaulieu

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:44:38 PM

The pics with Henrietta are taken with my 5DMk2, though I scale them down for the web of course.

We actually agonized a lot over the plastic issue and went through scenario after scenario due to specifically that fact.  There a bunch of vias on the bottom of the board, and we were originally going to cool it from the bottom instead of the top, but simulation after simulation showed it was more effective from the top, so that's what we went with.  But the vias are still there for a bit of extra oomph when the clock rate is bumped up.

I actually find this hard to believe since the footprint of your ASIC looks to have a pad on the bottom for grounding and thermal dissipation (often called a heat slug). Usually the thermal conductivity to this pad is much higher than to the plastic case (I think I saw that ngzhang also mentioned this somewhere). Also, if you hadn't tented the vias on the bottom you'd get a higher thermal conduction to your heatsink (soldermask tends to be a thermal insulator).

Is this a 6 layer pcb?
abeaulieu

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:49:51 PM

I'm guessing that they put down that footprint to support a standalone miner eventually. Since there is starting to be plenty of mining software support for ARM processors (I'm mining on my Raspberry Pi currently), it wouldn't take much to run a light version on linux on-board the ARM processor to act as the controller.
michaelmclees

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:59:07 PM

If the boards are already made, and asics already placed, something like this would probably be enough:

What'd be ideal is if these were almost exactly the same height as the space between bottom of board to enclosure, so that if the thermal adhesive proves not to be reliable, at least the heatsinks will be kept in place (not a bunch of copper pieces shaking around and contacting the board).

Would it be possible to solder something like this to the board before the ASIC chips are placed?

That's what I keep thinking.  If the ships are not perfectly level, you're other going to crush them with the heatsink, or you're going to not have good contact with all of them.

Why not just use these little guys?
bce

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 06:06:02 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2012, 06:21:04 AM by bce

Why not just use these little guys?

I use some milled copper heatsinks very similar to these (or the 1,000 others available) and like them muchly.

As for "bracing" them against the case, bad idea to create new paths to ground.  Also, more noisy badness.

Good point- I cringe just thinking of copper scraping up against the case...  causing some non-loctite-coated screw to come loose or something  Tongue
Even if there were something insulating them (like eight non-electrically conductive thermal pads placed on the enclosure), it'd be a bad idea to have that tight a fit on a first run.

During the first production run, maybe it's best to just stick with the thermal adhesive copper heatsinks (<--pun) that may or may not fall off over time.
If BFL doesn't install them, I will do so on mine  Grin
Xfinity

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:41:46 AM

Haha, seeks like a little bit overkill but thanks for the idea Wink.

Many of the shipping FPGA Singles have a passive heatsink on the bottom already. I was just suggesting that  a similar approach could be taken (by BFL) for the SC Singles.

True that, hopefully BFL will do a similiar approach. But its always nice to have a backup plan if they don't Wink.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:12:30 AM

We should be keeping the price paied in mind when it comes to what kind of fan/heatsink/case combo they come up with. I'd like my money on the heatsink.
i dont NEED a case, And i Can replace a fan..., Dont know how the hell i'd get a new BFL heatsink

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
strideynet

Activity: 412

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:15:22 AM

I think they should go all the way and design a controller. Something like 16 USB ports of something crazy. Then jut arm and 256mb of ram. Then code some really basic Linux onto it and a ssh server. Then you can remote control it. Or scratch that. A device that supports daughter boards. Then you could buy 1 chip daughter boards,2 chip daughter boards etc etc etc.   
psilan

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:18:11 AM

Stolen from https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/251-More-Jalapeno-Pictures-amp-Shipping-Update

Quote from: BFL_Josh;
Attached are some more pictures of the Jalapeno.  It's in one of it's prototype homes, but the design is changed and we are waiting on the updated box to be delivered now.  However, the fundamental design will remain unchanged, just some cosmetic changes (laser etched top, no silver, etc...)

We are not going to make the first half of November shipping goal.  Right now, I want to say fourth or fifth week of November, but lots of little issues have cropped up, pushing the shipping date out a bit here and there. To be on the safe side, I would estimate the end of November / beginning of December as a likely ship date.  We've had some trouble sourcing the VFD screens for the Minirig SC; the wharehouse told us they had about 5x as many screens as they really have on hand, so we are coming up short.  The good news is that we've come up with an alternate solution that is so full of awesome, I am going to save that for a later update. It is, however, necessitating a redesign of the Minirig SC case, though it won't really affect the timeline in any material fashion, as it's just one part that needs to be changed a bit to accommodate the new screen.

We are also still waiting on the HSF for the Single SC to show up - the factory has been a bit slow in that department, so that set things back a bit. 

We expect the final chip versions to be in our hands in ~25 days, with final assembly and shipping to begin a few days after that.

dip
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:59:47 PM

Very simplistic looking design.  Pretty.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
abeaulieu

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 01:24:43 PM

Nice pics. I will feel more comfortable when they have an ASIC chip working though :/
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 02:04:29 PM

Cool pic, now just add chips.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
michaelmclees

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 03:46:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the Jalapeno will only have the one chip pictured...  Not sure how it will be cooled though...
ice_chill

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 04:45:58 PM

We don't need silly pictures, we need a demonstration of the chip doing the actual hashing! even if it is an early prototype with a few percent less performance!
punin

Activity: 560

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 05:02:51 PM

We don't need silly pictures, we need a demonstration of the chip doing the actual hashing! even if it is an early prototype with a few percent less performance!
Guess what, they don't have one.

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:14:08 PM

Ah I see. As an employee, you must have intimate knowledge of their processes to make such an astute statement, correct?

Oh, what's that? You don't work for the company? Instead, you have felt the need to add nothing of importance to the current conversation?  Roll Eyes
Yeah, that makes more sense...

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:24:45 PM

Ah I see. As an employee, you must have intimate knowledge of their processes to make such an astute statement, correct?

Oh, what's that? You don't work for the company? Instead, you have felt the need to add nothing of importance to the current conversation?  Roll Eyes
Yeah, that makes more sense...
He doesn't have to be an employee of BFL to regurgitate information that has been made public knowledge. Now stop being an ass.

Merrick

Activity: 113

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:34:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the Jalapeno will only have the one chip pictured...  Not sure how it will be cooled though...

They have said it will just be passively cooled.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:43:17 PM

Too bad the little butterfly logo doesn't light up.

hi
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 07:08:17 PM

They have said it will just be passively cooled.
If I remember right they said that the casing would be the heatsink.

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 07:33:22 PM

He doesn't have to be an employee of BFL to regurgitate information that has been made public knowledge. Now stop being an ass.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just tired of hearing the saaaammmeeeee thing in every thread I read.  Sad

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 04:10:19 AM
Last edit: October 31, 2012, 01:32:34 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Nasser's other boards: https://www.elance.com/samples/Nasser750gx/gallery/
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 04:47:35 AM

The brains behind BFL, it would seem.

How do you suppose he hooked up with them?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 05:05:07 AM

Craigslist.

Wanted: ASIC designer.  Apply within.

Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 07:15:41 AM

Aha! Now we know why chip production is behind schedule. You bought your chip designer on craigslist!  Grin Tongue

I'm just joking and mean no offence to Nasser!

bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:37:02 PM

Where do you buy these kind of heatsinks and what are they called?  I have a feeling I'm going to need some.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:49:14 PM

Where do you buy these kind of heatsinks and what are they called?  I have a feeling I'm going to need some.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708009
bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:56:16 PM

We just need to find out the dimensions of the package BFL is using for their ASIC...
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:21:11 PM

We just need to find out the dimensions of the package BFL is using for their ASIC...

Just measure them. You know the board is 92mmx92mm, count pixels.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 06:22:36 PM

11mm^2

abeaulieu

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:24:18 PM

11mm^2

didn't take long for Inaba to count the pixels  Tongue
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:24:48 PM

11mm^2

Is that the die size? Or is the package 11x11?
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 06:25:21 PM

Package size.  Do I get half a bounty?

bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:28:50 PM

I wish BFL had used ceramic packaging instead of plastic. How much more can mil-spec ASIC's cost?  Wink
michaelmclees

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:29:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, suppose we get our boards and you guys upgrade your chips a year later.  Would it be possible to just do chip swaps?  Pop off the old one and insert the new, smaller, faster one?
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:47:48 PM

Just out of curiosity, suppose we get our boards and you guys upgrade your chips a year later.  Would it be possible to just do chip swaps?  Pop off the old one and insert the new, smaller, faster one?

If this were intended, the chips would be socketed.

bce

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:29:29 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 07:45:13 PM by bce

Package size.  Do I get half a bounty?

Yeah, and with a nice slab of copper in the middle of the socket  Grin

I'm still trying to imagine how to cool the bottom side of these chips.  If there are no traces directly under the ASIC chip, I'd like to cut a square hole under each chip and get at least some copper down there... The hole size would be limited by pressure on the ASIC being applied from the HSF on the top side.   The bottom heatsink could simply be a small square about the height of the board's depth above a larger square that adheres flush with board, and with some fins beneath.  It'd be like a 2 level pyramid with fins on bottom.

This is just my best guess for how I'd modify things on the board if I could magically change the existing design.

beekeeper

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 07:44:34 PM

Package size.  Do I get half a bounty?

Yeah, and with a nice slab of copper in the middle of the socket  Grin

I'm still trying to imagine how to cool the bottom side of these chips.  If there are no traces directly under the ASIC chip, I'd like to cut a square hole under each chip and get at least some copper down there... The hole size would be limited by pressure on the ASIC being applied from the HSF on the top side.   The bottom heatsink could simply be a small square about the height of the board's depth above a larger square that adheres flush with board, and with some fins beneath.  It'd be like a 2 level pyramid with fins on bottom.

This is just my best guess for how I'd modify things on the board if I could magically change the existing design.

Copper island and vias can transfer as much as 30% of heat from the chip on the other side of the PCB. Just add heatsinks on the other side.

scrybe

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:54:58 PM

11mm^2

That is NOT an area of 11mm^2 (3.1x3.1mm), it must be 11x11mm.

Area on these bad boys (package, not die) is 121mm^2 if they are 11x11.

BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
MeSarah

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 08:07:18 PM

@ bce

I would think that if you start cutting on the circuit board you will void the warranty.

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 08:13:45 PM

11mm^2

didn't take long for Inaba to count the pixels  Tongue

I counted pixels and arrived at the same conclusion:

I don't see a die-size prediction. I'm going with 24mm^2

From the board pictures, the chip packages appear to my eyes to be 11x11mm.

Not that that says a whole lot about the die size.

Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 08:36:13 PM

@ bce

I would think that if you start cutting on the circuit board you will void the warranty.

abeaulieu

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 09:03:22 PM

11mm^2

Like Inaba said: (11mm)^2
lol
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 03:35:09 AM

11mm^2

Like Inaba said: (11mm)^2
lol

I'm just curious as to why the sub script isn't used: 112
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:08:33 AM

@ bce

Now thats funny  Cool

scrybe

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:33:19 AM

Oh Hai!

A superscript and subscript feature, doh.

Thanks for the remedial forums training Wink

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 06:43:54 AM

Oh Hai!

A superscript and subscript feature, doh.

Thanks for the remedial forums training Wink

I C I got it erred. TY4 fixing.
bce

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 07:12:19 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2012, 07:24:57 AM by bce

@ bce

I would be more worried about voiding the functionality of the ASICs than the warranty on the board...  If only I could get some blank boards to mess with  Smiley.  I'm sure everyone will be careful with their SC singles when they first arrive, but it's only a matter of time before people try some modifications.  

I've got a couple of 5870s with stock VRM / RAM cooling and arctic cooling heatsinks.... running very cool all around - a hacksaw job that is definitely not warrantied, but running whisper quiet at 1000MHz  Grin.   I'll miss the days of the GPU in bitcoin mining.
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 07:53:38 AM

@ bce

Now thats funny  Cool

god dammit... i'm wearing that shirt RIGHT NOW. *shame*

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 06:38:07 PM

Where do I get this shirt? I've got to own one.

bce

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 06:43:54 PM

@ bce

I would be more worried about voiding the functionality of the ASICs than the warranty on the board...  If only I could get some blank boards to mess with  Smiley.  I'm sure everyone will be careful with their SC singles when they first arrive, but it's only a matter of time before people try some modifications.  

I've got a couple of 5870s with stock VRM / RAM cooling and arctic cooling heatsinks.... running very cool all around - a hacksaw job that is definitely not warrantied, but running whisper quiet at 1000MHz  Grin.   I'll miss the days of the GPU in bitcoin mining.

Son, you need to invest in a Dremel.

That plus some desoldering string, replacement components, improved heatsinks, and abusing exposed circuitry has improved my experience with Singles immensely.

It looks like a mess, but I'm OK with that. Smiley

Yeah, Dremel was what I was thinking too!   I've already got the desoldering string, iron, and a little bit of experience successfully reflowing a board with a heat gun heh.  Check check and check.  I'll probably need to wait until I get all 3 of my SC Singles before experimenting though.    I'd love to see some pictures of those singles  Grin!
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 08:40:59 PM

Where do I get this shirt? I've got to own one.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8f52/

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=i%20void%20warranties%20t%20shirt&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ai%20void%20warranties%20t%20shirt

http://www.digitalmilitia.com/i-void-warranties-shirt.php

http://www.zazzle.com/i_void_warranties_t_shirt_customized-235061179862162575

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Copernic is the bomb,most of the time  Cool

abracadabra

Activity: 956

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

When is the Jalapeno getting FCC approval?
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:51:52 PM

Pretty sure it doesn't need that?  It's not a communications device...
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:54:19 PM

It verifies communications in the bitcoin network and can be used to relay communication in the form of binary messages in the form of multiple bitcoin transactions  Wink

hi
abeaulieu

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:58:01 PM

abracadabra

Activity: 956

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 01:12:33 AM

In the US, all products containing electronics that oscillate above 9 kHz must be certified.
This device is being sold by a manufacturer located in Missouri? or maybe WYoming?  which last I check was in the US.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 05:03:19 AM

Maybe two weeks? We are waiting for the test lab to issue the test report.

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:10:19 AM

In the US, all products containing electronics that oscillate above 9 kHz must be certified.
This device is being sold by a manufacturer located in Missouri? or maybe WYoming?  which last I check was in the US.
Interesting!  My new tidbit of knowledge for the day then...
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:11:39 AM

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:45:42 AM

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

*clapclap*
Now if only you had posted as BFL_josh so that people would take it seriously instead of sheeple going "unnnnn me no liek inaba, he lie in post"

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 04:47:44 PM

Can we assume that all the products will be UL Listed/Approved? http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/contactus/faq/industries/retailer/

If we are using all Recognized Components, does our product automatically become UL Listed?

The evaluation of an individual component is obviously limited to certain parameters. A UL evaluation of a complete product is needed to determine how these components function as a "system" in your end product. The use of Recognized Components reduces the complexity of the evaluation and can save you time and money.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 04:52:12 PM

Does that mean you have a functioning prototype you sent to the test lab?
salfter

Activity: 651

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 05:45:53 PM

The most recent Jalapeño pictures to surface at the BFL forum show what look like two USB ports on the back. Would it be correct to assume that one is for power and data and the other is for more power?

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:51:03 PM

They are both for power, BFL stated. Just in case your computer isn't able to supply enought power trough one single USB port.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 05:13:53 AM

Does that mean you have a functioning prototype you sent to the test lab?

MrTeal, you're an idiot! We all know that a physical working unit is not required. Only a sketch rendering the finish product.

But seriously, excellent question.

~Bruno K~
psilan

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 06:14:52 PM

Read the thread, they were.

dip
Merrick

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 06:33:29 PM

Wasn't it decided that these pics, while exciting, were still not of a functional unit as they are waiting on the asic chips?
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:15:39 PM

Wasn't it decided that these pics, while exciting, were still not of a functional unit as they are waiting on the asic chips?
Yes, still not functional, cases/side skirts and asic chips are not delivered yet, boards not produced.

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 12:27:54 AM

Yes, still not functional, cases/side skirts and asic chips are not delivered yet, boards not produced.

That's simply impossible, for the FCC has one and BFL should be getting approval in a couple weeks. Make that two, for UnderwriterLabs (UL) has one also so that it'll be UL Listed/Approval. Now quit spreading FUD. The same process will apply for the other rigs as well, up to and including the $29K one.

Image the conversation at UL when that big ass rig arrives.

UL Guy 1: What the heck do we have here?
UL Guy 2: Never seen anything like it. Ready to plug it in?
UL Guy 1: I'm not pluggin' it in. You plug it in.
UL Guy 2: Fuck you, man! Hey! I got an idea. Let's get Mikey.
UL Guy 1: Yea, Mikey! He'll plug in anything.
UL Guy 1 & UL Guy 2 (in unison): Hey, Mikey!
UL Guy 2: Wait a second! We don't have to plug it in.
UL Guy 1: Why not?
UL Guy 2: Don't you see? It don't have an FCC sticker, so we don't have to inspect it.
UL Guy 1: Great! Send it back to the girls over at Butterfly Labs.
UL Guy 2: What I would give to watch one of their hot babes on the assembly line.
Merrick

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:20:58 AM

That's simply impossible, for the FCC has one and BFL should be getting approval in a couple weeks. Make that two, for UnderwriterLabs (UL) has one also so that it'll be UL Listed/Approval. Now quit spreading FUD. The same process will apply for the other rigs as well, up to and including the $29K one.

Image the conversation at UL when that big ass rig arrives.

UL Guy 1: What the heck do we have here?
UL Guy 2: Never seen anything like it. Ready to plug it in?
UL Guy 1: I'm not pluggin' it in. You plug it in.
UL Guy 2: Fuck you, man! Hey! I got an idea. Let's get Mikey.
UL Guy 1: Yea, Mikey! He'll plug in anything.
UL Guy 1 & UL Guy 2 (in unison): Hey, Mikey!
UL Guy 2: Wait a second! We don't have to plug it in.
UL Guy 1: Why not?
UL Guy 2: Don't you see? It don't have an FCC sticker, so we don't have to inspect it.
UL Guy 1: Great! Send it back to the girls over at Butterfly Labs.
UL Guy 2: What I would give to watch one of their hot babes on the assembly line.

My mistake. I thought they had boards/samples, but were still waiting on the chips. Oops.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:11:17 PM

I love this. Take a look at the current Single's heatsink:

It was later upgraded to this heatsink setup:

Those dinky little heatsinks were originally only supposed to dissipate 20 Watts, but had to be upgraded to handle the actual heat output of 80 Watts. Now, they're actually designing a proper heatsink for the 60Watts they know the Single will draw. Pics from http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bfl-confirms-65nm-process-for-sc-lineup/ :

I can see why they say that heat will no longer be an issue for these.

P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:18:52 PM

Just remember to peel off the label before you stick it to something.

The label backing seems a bit OTT, though.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:52:27 PM

There better not be a heat issue when they've got those sexy heatsinks on the boards Tongue

2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 11:30:46 PM

Looking super cool.. is this a custom heatsink build for them?

squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:30:44 AM

Underestimating customer stupidity is a common mistake. They've apparently learned their lesson already.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:19:29 AM

Underestimating customer stupidity is a common mistake.

Bwahaha..sad, but very true!

2GOOD

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 01:24:26 AM

Underestimating customer stupidity is a common mistake. They've apparently learned their lesson already.

Off/
Back in the days of s.478 a friend of mine installed the cooling with the plastic cover without even notice it. I spend some time looking for the problem why a new PC is shutdown before I can get to BIOS

kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:14:17 AM

There better not be a heat issue when they've got those sexy heatsinks on the boards Tongue
Depends on how level the 8 chips are ...

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 03:33:33 AM

Is it just me or does the size of this hand look funky?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 04:04:17 AM

http://www.atmel.com/tools/AVRBUTTERFLY.aspx?tab=overview

niko

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:09:05 AM

Can someone from BFL please clarify if at this moment their ASICs are packaged and delivered to the US?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:24:45 AM

That is unlikely.

First of all, the label on the heat sink says "Please remove label before you use it." This is bad English... I am assuming they are made in china.

Heat sinks come in so many different shapes and sizes, it doesn't make sense to me for them to spend the extra dough to create a custom heat sink.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:39:44 AM

Can someone from BFL please clarify if at this moment their ASICs are packaged and delivered to the US?
"Josh Zerlan, a BFL representative, expects to have chips in hand by the end of November and begin initial shipments shortly after."
http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bfl-confirms-65nm-process-for-sc-lineup/
Merrick

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:44:07 AM

"Josh Zerlan, a BFL representative, expects to have chips in hand by the end of November and begin initial shipments shortly after."

And we finally have confirmed that BFL is the winner in the process size category. 65nm sounds pretty sweet to me.
niko

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:51:51 AM

And we finally have confirmed that BFL is the winner in the process size category. 65nm sounds pretty sweet to me.
Once process sizes are confirmed, it will be interesting to compare actual efficiencies (J/Hash) - to me, the winner will be the one who used best and smartest engineering to get the most bang for the buck.  This should also translate into highest profitability for the manufacturer, assuming everyone offers similar price per Hash/s.

Keefe

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:05:16 AM

I'm surprised that BFL didn't get better efficiency than they did. Just going from 90nm to 65nm should double efficiency, right? Then where's the additional advantage of using the full custom approach? I'm comparing with the current power estimate of the bASIC.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:08:15 AM

I'm surprised that BFL didn't get better efficiency than they did. Just going from 90nm to 65nm should double efficiency, right? Then where's the additional advantage of using the full custom approach? I'm comparing with the current power estimate of the bASIC.
The 1w/gh is a conservative estimate.  They are expecting lower power usage than that.
BitSyncom

Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:12:45 AM

The 1w/gh is a conservative estimate.  They are expecting lower power usage than that.

I wouldn't call +/- 10% a conservative estimate.

abeaulieu

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:42:22 PM

It's not just the fabrication process size that matters. The implementation of the hardware is a huge factor.
bobitza

Merit: 256

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:44:58 PM

How would you call it ?

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
niko

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:27:41 PM

How would you call it ?
A brave estimate.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:49:43 PM

How would you call it ?

An accurate estimate? Something like +0/-30% would be a conservative estimate.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 05:05:55 PM

If you think the 54 GH/s ASIC is going to pull only 100w, I have a bridge to sell in Brooklyn as well.  The 27 GH/s units might be around 100w, though.

P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:46:10 PM

That is unlikely.

First of all, the label on the heat sink says "Please remove label before you use it." This is bad English... I am assuming they are made in china.

Heat sinks come in so many different shapes and sizes, it doesn't make sense to me for them to spend the extra dough to create a custom heat sink.

They are custom designed by BFL.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117403.0
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:48:41 PM

fucccckkkk I really wish my investor listened to me when i said "PREORDER THEM NOW PLEASE?!" because now he just goes "theres not enough ROI in it for me at this point to invest"
I only got like a #11k preorder

Keefe

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:13:26 PM

It's not just the fabrication process size that matters. The implementation of the hardware is a huge factor.

Yep, so why do we only see the 2x "die shrink" advantage in these power estimates and nothing else? Where's the additional efficiency gain of going full custom? Shouldn't the BFL be 3x or 4x more efficient, not just 2x?

And I'm aware Inaba has already answered this by saying Tom's numbers are unrealistic. But I don't think either one has a working prototype, so we'll just have to wait and see.

bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:19:13 PM

Yep, so why do we only see the 2x "die shrink" advantage in these power estimates and nothing else? Where's the additional efficiency gain of going full custom? Shouldn't the BFL be 3x or 4x more efficient, not just 2x?

And I'm aware Inaba has already answered this by saying Tom's numbers are unrealistic. But I don't think either one has a working prototype, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe they're "holding back" and will surprise us with better "real" numbers when the product ships.
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:33:19 PM

Quote from: forums.butterflylabs.com
Single SC heatsink, which is custom designed specifically for us.
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 06:09:48 AM

^^^ This.  It will be very tricky to get all 8 chips the same height and in the same plane.  We have had similar issues with heatsinks not making good contact w/ multiple chips.  This could be a big issue for BFL.  But at the (low) power levels BFL is predicting, it may be less of an issue.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 07:30:20 AM

^^^ This.  It will be very tricky to get all 8 chips the same height and in the same plane.  We have had similar issues with heatsinks not making good contact w/ multiple chips.  This could be a big issue for BFL.  But at the (low) power levels BFL is predicting, it may be less of an issue.
They're using thermal pads, so probably not much of a problem.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:31:25 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 12:40:39 AM by Maged

Hmmmm. At a certain point you start to hit severely diminishing returns though. As I understand it what actually matters is the junction-to-air thermal resistance RθJA, which is equal to the sum of the junction-to-case thermal resistance RθJC and the case-to-air thermal resistance RθCA. Now, RθJC is a property of the chip package and can't be improved by using a better heatsink, so once you've got RθCA significantly lower than that you don't get much benefit from better heatsinking. (That's partly why you don't see fancy heatpipe heatsinks on Spartan-6 mining boards; the package thermal resistance is high enough that it's not worth it.)

I can't actually find any information on the typical thermal resistance for the top of a QFN package, though, which is where BFL are attaching the heatsink; most datasheets only seem to quote RθJC for the exposed pad on the bottom.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:37:15 PM

Hmmmm. At a certain point you start to hit severely diminishing returns though. As I understand it what actually matters is the junction-to-air thermal resistance RθJA, which is equal to the sum of the junction-to-case thermal resistance RθJC and the case-to-air thermal resistance RθCA. Now, RθJC is a property of the chip package and can't be improved by using a better heatsink, so once you've got RθCA significantly lower than that you don't get much benefit from better heatsinking. (That's partly why you don't see fancy heatpipe heatsinks on Spartan-6 mining boards; the package thermal resistance is high enough that it's not worth it.)

I can't actually find any information on the typical thermal resistance for the top of a QFN package, though, which is where BFL are attaching the heatsink; most datasheets only seem to quote RθJC for the exposed pad on the bottom.

That's because the bottom heat spreader has orders of magnitude better thermal conductivity than the top of the package and is used in most cases to dissipate the heat from a QFN package. I would expect that even with the heatsink on there the die temperature will get pretty high, we won't see anything like we have with the Spartan-6s where the die temp can be 35C. Still, even if the on die temperature is high it's not like that's a problem depending on design. People run GPUs at 60-70C 24/7 and they're more complex chips than thes.
punin

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 03:10:55 PM

http://semicon.njr.co.jp/eng/icpackage/doc03.html

Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:14:00 PM

Most likely the owner of the hand is fat.
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:55:00 PM

Most likely the owner of the hand is fat.

Where is the NEW custom heatsink?
michaelmclees

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 04:10:40 PM

That's not the ASIC.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 01:14:35 AM

Those dinky little heatsinks were originally only supposed to dissipate 20 Watts, but had to be upgraded to handle the actual heat output of 80 Watts. Now, they're actually designing a proper heatsink for the 60Watts they know the Single will draw. Pics from http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bfl-confirms-65nm-process-for-sc-lineup/ :

bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 02:55:05 PM

Maybe they're "holding back" and will surprise us with better "real" numbers when the product ships.

Checkout this post from BFL which seems to support my position:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=FAQ:Bitforce+SC+ASIC+Product+Line

"While our numbers are very good, we are being conservative with our announce power figures and the likely power consumption will be even less."
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:08:51 PM

Reference: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/251-More-Jalapeno-Pictures-amp-Shipping-Update/page18

Eryngi (like Bogart) asks the right questions.

It seems to me like it is what eryngi points out (IMO), that there is possibly a different reason for leaving customers in the dark as to what is potentially being played out.

Indeed, it is very smart of eryngi to pull out. It would be dumb if he did stay despite strong indicators as to what the game may be behind the scenes. I think Sharky does not really understand (at all) what eryngi is going on about. If he did, he would be more concerned at the possibilities.

There are two kinds of customers in this case, those who are worried but their confidence is based on promises. Then there are those who understand what the subtle hints indicate and are worried enough to jump ship.

In this case, eryngi has decided that jumping ship was appropriate considering what all the indicators led him to believe. (Think of it like the Titanic just after it hits the iceberg) He has cashed out based on that information (and apparent confirmations/denials) of a situation. There are other people whom don't know what any of it means or don't know any better and will stay until it is very evident there are problems. (The Titanic begins to tilt and enters the waters length wise?)

The company has stated that refunds are currently a trickle, and they are honoring those whom wish to jump ship early. Though they said if it becomes an administration issue with too many refunds they will close that door. They also state that they have not used any pre-order funds. So that means every penny is safe. (Why accept pre-orders though if you can sell the product once it is ready for shipment if that is the case?Why not a standard pre-order down payment if you only wished to know how the market demand was for your product?)

Anyway, at the first signs of ice on deck, jump ship. Never believe that there are enough lifeboats or that this ship cannot sink. That is my personal opinion.

I just wonder if they will allow eryngi words to persist and sink in for others after eryngi's  refund? I am inclined to believe they will wipe it out.
scrybe

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:19:16 PM

Why not a standard pre-order down payment if you only wished to know how the market demand was for your product?

This one stuck out for me. Given the BitCoin community they guaranteed their orders in a way that a deposit would not have done. At the very least they would be having issues with all the folks planning on completing their purchases with Pirate backed income.

It's also a good thing for the shipping and cashflow, no questions as to when they get access to the money for each unit (when they ship), and there is no drama about the guy who SHOULD have been in the first group but could not complete the purchase in time.

Honestly all the solutions are messy, but I think theirs is about the least complicated.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:26:33 PM

Why not a standard pre-order down payment if you only wished to know how the market demand was for your product?

This one stuck out for me. Given the BitCoin community they guaranteed their orders in a way that a deposit would not have done. At the very least they would be having issues with all the folks planning on completing their purchases with Pirate backed income.

It's also a good thing for the shipping and cashflow, no questions as to when they get access to the money for each unit (when they ship), and there is no drama about the guy who SHOULD have been in the first group but could not complete the purchase in time.

Honestly all the solutions are messy, but I think theirs is about the least complicated.
Question:

If you are paid in BTC (virtual funds), are any consumer protection laws even applicable for a cryptocurrency?

I know it is a question out of left field, and I am not implying anything, but we should start a thread to discuss what can be enforced if you use a cryptocurrency.
punin

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:07:26 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 06:36:36 PM by punin

(Why accept pre-orders though if you can sell the product once it is ready for shipment if that is the case?Why not a standard pre-order down payment if you only wished to know how the market demand was for your product?)

Your questions are right to the point. Why accept preorders with full up-front payment if you're not in need of capital to produce whatever you're producing?

They also state that they have not used any pre-order funds. So that means every penny is safe.

BFL never answered if this meant the first month of preorders or all of them. So there is a possibility not every penny is safe. After all, if they go belly-up, it's not their problem anymore. They tried and they failed.

I'm pretty sure that the costs associated with 65nm ASIC production could not be covered by their profits alone. They claim they received VC capital, but no additional information has been provided on this matter.

Edit: I want to point out that none of the ASIC manufacturers have shown a prototype, and all have taken full up-front payment for preorders. The only company that has been open about their progress is BlockErupter(Asicminer), but they've run aground with GLBSE now. Also, I'm not aware what is happening on the Avalon mailing list, but looking at Ngzhang's track-record, I'd be amazed if they were not open regarding their progress as well as the risks associated.

I hoped this whole ASIC transition would've been completely crowd-funded and designed as an open project, that would've made all of us miners share/stakeholders. I'm afraid we've become like the people that rushed to Klondike over a century ago and lost all of their money due to their greed.

Like in my country right now, our precious Lapland is being raped by greedy mining companies spilling uranium and nickel into our pure lakes. Corrupt officials stand passive and watch as our national heritage is ruined for a fistful of dollars. Sad times.

Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:22:27 PM

(Why accept pre-orders though if you can sell the product once it is ready for shipment if that is the case?Why not a standard pre-order down payment if you only wished to know how the market demand was for your product?)

Your questions are right to the point. Why accept preorders with full up-front payment if you're not in need of capital to produce whatever you're producing?

They also state that they have not used any pre-order funds. So that means every penny is safe.

BFL never answered if this meant the first month of preorders or all of them. So there is a possibility not every penny is safe. After all, if they go belly-up, it's not their problem anymore. They tried and they failed.

I'm pretty sure that the costs associated with 65nm ASIC production could not be covered by their profits alone. They claim they received VC capital, but no additional information has been provided on this matter.

In Sandwich, IL, when a business mysteriously burns down while struggling financially, the cause is referred to as Albanian lightning.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:36:01 PM

Question:

If you are paid in BTC (virtual funds), are any consumer protection laws even applicable for a cryptocurrency?

I know it is a question out of left field, and I am not implying anything, but we should start a thread to discuss what can be enforced if you use a cryptocurrency.

The payments to BFL in Bitcoins are automatically converted to USD through BitPay. BFL never sees a Bitcoin.

That said, the consumer protection laws would still apply since you're effectively paying in USD.

scrybe

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:56:12 PM

What part of ANY was confusing here? They have stated this multiple times even if they have not answered the exact post you are looking for.

Like it or not, this is not a community project, it is a for-profit enterprise. As part of that equation you keep certain information to yourself to avoid giving the competition information that they can use to get an advantage on you. In the case of BFL many of the things that have been asked for get into that proprietary realm.

They have answered, they have INVESTORS that covered the initial costs, their investors don't get paid back if BFL fails. Legally that money is not theirs until they ship the product. If they went bust without shipping anything all the investors will be on the hook to refund all of us from a legal perspective.

If you have ever operated a business on a line of credit or flooring agreement you are already very familiar with these rules, because exceeding your cashflow can allow a company to go under because it is TO SUCCESSFUL for it's resources.

Once you get past a basic small business, it becomes a lot more about the reliable and predictable flow of money through the organization (paying rent, salaries, buying new materials, etc) than just making a profit in a single tactical action. BFL has shown by their actions that they are interested in the long game (at least a year or 2, likely more) and are playing by business rules, this obviously is not a scam in a garage so we need to apply the relevant standard.

bASIC and Avalon are a lot more like the hobbist type project with one or 2 critical folks doing everything, but I think BFL has graduated from that category into a real business. This is AWESOME news in my book, we need more businesses using Bitcoin and operating like businesses rather than cowboys, hopefully BFL will be an anchor for others. This is because (beyond a small scale) established business don't want to work with an individual, they want to work with another established business that they can rely on.

scrybe

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:01:27 PM

Question:

The payments to BFL in Bitcoins are automatically converted to USD through BitPay. BFL never sees a Bitcoin.

That said, the consumer protection laws would still apply since you're effectively paying in USD.

+1

You paid them for something, and they acknowledged payment. It does not matter if the purchase was made with gold or Rare Purple Lego's (assuming both parties agree on the exchange rate), they are obligated to deliver or return you the same value in exchange. This does mean that the spot-rate will be used if you insist in payment in Rare Purple Lego's, so you won't get the same number, but they will be worth the same value when you get them.

Consumer protection (generally, not CC specific unless CC was used, etc.) applies, this is similar to why coupons have a "no cash value" clause.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:05:59 PM

What part of ANY was confusing here? They have stated this multiple times even if they have not answered the exact post you are looking for.

Like it or not, this is not a community project, it is a for-profit enterprise. As part of that equation you keep certain information to yourself to avoid giving the competition information that they can use to get an advantage on you. In the case of BFL many of the things that have been asked for get into that proprietary realm.

They have answered, they have INVESTORS that covered the initial costs, their investors don't get paid back if BFL fails. Legally that money is not theirs until they ship the product. If they went bust without shipping anything all the investors will be on the hook to refund all of us from a legal perspective.

If you have ever operated a business on a line of credit or flooring agreement you are already very familiar with these rules, because exceeding your cashflow can allow a company to go under because it is TO SUCCESSFUL for it's resources.

Once you get past a basic small business, it becomes a lot more about the reliable and predictable flow of money through the organization (paying rent, salaries, buying new materials, etc) than just making a profit in a single tactical action. BFL has shown by their actions that they are interested in the long game (at least a year or 2, likely more) and are playing by business rules, this obviously is not a scam in a garage so we need to apply the relevant standard.

bASIC and Avalon are a lot more like the hobbist type project with one or 2 critical folks doing everything, but I think BFL has graduated from that category into a real business. This is AWESOME news in my book, we need more businesses using Bitcoin and operating like businesses rather than cowboys, hopefully BFL will be an anchor for others. This is because (beyond a small scale) established business don't want to work with an individual, they want to work with another established business that they can rely on.
?
bASIC and Avalon also employ third parties for designs as does BFL. So it is not a 1 or 2 person operation. The shipping side of each company IS a different story between the three companies. These three are not of the same size.

Avalon has gone on record to state that they don't want to ship huge lots like BFL in their first run. I forget exactly what the reasoning was.

bASIC's Tom has stated that he doesn't have the manpower but will hire IT temps to fill in as necessary.

But I totally agree, when there are alot of mouths to feed with cash, there will always be problems with cash flow if a company makes the wrong decisions.
scrybe

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

bASIC and Avalon also employ third parties for designs as does BFL. So it is not a 1 or 2 person operation. The shipping side of each company IS a different story between the three companies. These three are not of the same size.

Avalon has gone on record to state that they don't want to ship huge lots like BFL in their first run. I forget exactly what the reasoning was.

bASIC's Tom has stated that he doesn't have the manpower but will hire IT temps to fill in as necessary.

But I totally agree, when there are alot of mouths to feed with cash, there will always be problems with cash flow if a company makes the wrong decisions.

It Tom gets hit by a bus, or ninja assassins take out Team Avalon, then it is game over. If BFL_Josh dies, we get to make jokes and then bug the company for our stuff. (No offense Josh, you would be missed by some at least!)

BIG difference. Even with outsourcing the risks around doing business with individuals and tiny groups is higher than when dealing with larger groups. Larger groups are more likely to continue in the face of adversity, which is one of the reasons for the rise of the corporation over the last 500 years. This is actually the case where the "corporate person-hood" thing we are dealing with is needed, that corporate person is obligated to you, no matter who owns/operates the corporation. (Free speech through unlimited campaign donations on the other hand seems to be a misapplication of the Bill of Rights)

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:23:33 PM

By the way, the first chip run for BFL is allegedly 20,000 chips.

20,000 ASIC chips can make

20k / 8 = 2,500 Single SC chips.
20k / ? = ?,??? Little SC chips.
20k / 1 = 20,000 Jalapenos.
20k / 200 = 100 Mini-rigs.

Those are the totals if a batch of 20,000 are divided above as if the batch were used exclusively for one type.

Question: How does one go about fulfilling 12,000 order ID's? Lets assume there are less than 6,000 valid orders. (no clue how many are multiple units in each order...so lets assume it makes up to 6,000 assorted units. Some will order several units while others only 1 unit.)

How does one go about fulfilling that many orders with only 20k ASIC chips? Anyone know how many chips will go into each little single SC?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:25:22 PM

It Tom gets hit by a bus, or ninja assassins take out Team Avalon, then it is game over. If BFL_Josh dies, we get to make jokes and then bug the company for our stuff. (No offense Josh, you would be missed by some at least!)
Well, You have a point I cannot refute LOL....you got me!

Edit: Note to self, ask Tom if he has life insurance.
Edit1: Note to self: Ask Team Avalon if they have any ongoing problems with Ninjas from overseas.

BIG difference. Even with outsourcing the risks around doing business with individuals and tiny groups is higher than when dealing with larger groups. Larger groups are more likely to continue in the face of adversity, which is one of the reasons for the rise of the corporation over the last 500 years. This is actually the case where the "corporate person-hood" thing we are dealing with is needed, that corporate person is obligated to you, no matter who owns/operates the corporation. (Free speech through unlimited campaign donations on the other hand seems to be a misapplication of the Bill of Rights)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:21:39 PM

Those are the totals if a batch of 20,000 are divided above as if the batch were used exclusively for one type.

Question: How does one go about fulfilling 12,000 order ID's? Lets assume there are less than 6,000 valid orders. (no clue how many are multiple units in each order...so lets assume it makes up to 6,000 assorted units. Some will order several units while others only 1 unit.)

How does one go about fulfilling that many orders with only 20k ASIC chips? Anyone know how many chips will go into each little single SC?
The Little SC will be 4 chips (logically, since each chip produces 7.5GH/s, and they will be 30GH/s units).

But why are you asking this question?  Josh already stated that the 20k chips was more than enough to fulfill all current preorders (as of a couple of weeks ago)... so the existing orders are some combination of the above units, but not enough to use up 20k chips.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:09:27 PM

Josh already stated that the 20k chips was more than enough to fulfill all current preorders (as of a couple of weeks ago)... so the existing orders are some combination of the above units, but not enough to use up 20k chips.

Which is awesome news since it puts us right on track to meet my predictions from my October Analysis Tongue

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:52:40 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 10:10:32 PM by PuertoLibre

The Little SC will be 4 chips (logically, since each chip produces 7.5GH/s, and they will be 30GH/s units).

But why are you asking this question?  Josh already stated that the 20k chips was more than enough to fulfill all current preorders (as of a couple of weeks ago)... so the existing orders are some combination of the above units, but not enough to use up 20k chips.
I ask, because it means that out of the 12,000 electronic orders...very few that are actually valid. I thought they were well into the 6,000 range. But looking over different combos, I find it hard to believe that there are many valid orders. I expected many mini-rigs to be sold since customer service stated most of their customers were supposedly not front bitcointalk.org or any other forums. (?)
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:08:15 PM

I ask, because it means that out of the 12,000 electronic orders...very few that are actually valid. I thought they were well into the 6,000 thousand range. But looking over different combos, I find it hard to believe that there are many valid orders. I expected many mini-rigs to be sold since customer service stated most of their customers were supposedly not front bitcointalk.org or any other forums. (?)

Oh goodness no. They have a preorder count of maybe 300 here on the forums, but they've noted before that total preorders are about double what we see here. Call it 600-700 orders, with the majority being Jalapenos and Singles.

And I know veerrryyy few people able to drop $30k on a dime for a Mini Rig. Out of the many thousands of BTC users, only a handful will be throwing down cash for them (including myself if my Fund raises the capital Wink)

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:11:01 PM

But why are you asking this question?  Josh already stated that the 20k chips was more than enough to fulfill all current preorders (as of a couple of weeks ago)... so the existing orders are some combination of the above units, but not enough to use up 20k chips.
I ask, because it means that out of the 12,000 electronic orders...very few that are actually valid. I thought they were well into the 6,000 thousand range. But looking over different combos, I find it hard to believe that there are many valid orders. I expected many mini-rigs to be sold since customer service stated most of their customers were supposedly not front bitcointalk.org or any other forums. (?)
Ah, ok.  Yes, very few of the orders are valid.  I would guess maybe 1,000 orders.  Just my personal opinion/hunch.
michaelmclees

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:13:19 PM

Right.  This is due to curious people testing out the order button to see how many BTC they'd need to spend to make an order.  So people would try to time their order to the market and in the process they'd create 20 false orders.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:13:55 PM

Oh goodness no. They have a preorder count of maybe 300 here on the forums, but they've noted before that total preorders are about double what we see here. Call it 600-700 orders, with the majority being Jalapenos and Singles.

And I know veerrryyy few people able to drop $30k on a dime for a Mini Rig. Out of the many thousands of BTC users, only a handful will be throwing down cash for them (including myself if my Fund raises the capital Wink)
Then I am deeply confused....

I thought I saw one representative say they had several hundred of each type. (Some post somewhere on BitcoinTalk or on their company forum (don't remember where).

I thought they were the biggest? If they only have 600 or 700 (or anywhere near that range) then why isn't Tom (of bASIC) considered the largest vendor? Hopefully someone can straighten me out as I have seemingly lost the plot and the narrative I kept seeing touted around....
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:16:02 PM

Then I am deeply confused....

I thought I saw one representative say they had several hundred of each type. (Some post somewhere on BitcoinTalk or on their company forum (don't remember where).

I thought they were the biggest? If they only have 600 or 700 (or anywhere near that range) then why isn't Tom (of bASIC) considered the largest vendor? Hopefully someone can straighten me out as I have seemingly lost the plot and the narrative I kept seeing touted around....
How many units on preorder does Tom have?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:23:02 PM

He had about 900 orders as of about 2 1/2 weeks ago. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1292414#msg1292414

However, I think BFL has a lot more than 600-700 orders. That would mean that only 1 in 20 orders actually got paid. I'm thinking it's 4-5x that amount. About a month ago, they said there were upwards of 100TH/s in pre-orders.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:26:05 PM

He had about 900 orders as of about 2 1/2 weeks ago. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1292414#msg1292414

However, I think BFL has a lot more than 600-700 orders. That would mean that only 1 in 20 orders actually got paid. I'm thinking it's 4-5x that amount. About a month ago, they said there were upwards of 100TH/s in pre-orders.
So maybe it would be better to compare pre-sold TH/s then.  Tom doesn't have minirigs...  If 50 of those BFL orders are minirigs, that's 75+TH/s right there.  It wouldn't take much to make 600-700 orders into more than 100TH/s, depending on what each of those orders was for.

It's really useless speculation anyway.  Who cares how many orders there are?  What matters is how many TH/s were ordered, and (to a lesser extent), how much revenue those sales brought in to each of the companies.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:27:26 PM

Edit: I want to point out that none of the ASIC manufacturers have shown a prototype, and all have taken full up-front payment for preorders. The only company that has been open about their progress is BlockErupter(Asicminer), but they've run aground with GLBSE now. Also, I'm not aware what is happening on the Avalon mailing list, but looking at Ngzhang's track-record, I'd be amazed if they were not open regarding their progress as well as the risks associated.
Well - actually - Tom did say they had already done a prototype - but didn't show it.
That was his first announcement of bASIC back in September:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1157524#msg1157524
(stating Nov/Dec delivery)

and the post mentioning the prototype
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1157583#msg1157583

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:48:27 AM

So maybe it would be better to compare pre-sold TH/s then.  Tom doesn't have minirigs...  If 50 of those BFL orders are minirigs, that's 75+TH/s right there.  It wouldn't take much to make 600-700 orders into more than 100TH/s, depending on what each of those orders was for.

It's really useless speculation anyway.  Who cares how many orders there are?  What matters is how many TH/s were ordered, and (to a lesser extent), how much revenue those sales brought in to each of the companies.

Right.

BFL: 20,000 chips in the first batch, maybe half of them go into Jalapenos for 4.5 GH/s and half into the other for 7.5 GH/s. We're looking at 120 TH/s preordered if they use every chip.

bASIC: 900 orders, also assume a 50/50 split between the 27 and 54 GH/s rigs. 36.45 TH/s total preordered.

BFL has roughly 3x the orders TH/s-wise as bASIC.

Buy & Hold
kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 01:22:46 AM

bASIC: 900 orders, also assume a 50/50 split between the 27 and 54 GH/s rigs. 36.45 TH/s total preordered.
50/50 split is clearly not gonna be correct - I'd 'guess' it would be something like 90/10 since all the original orders were upgraded to 54 when he announced it.
Though even 75/25 puts that up to 42.5TH/s (not a big difference, but still a difference)

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 01:24:43 AM

Right.

BFL: 20,000 chips in the first batch, maybe half of them go into Jalapenos for 4.5 GH/s and half into the other for 7.5 GH/s. We're looking at 120 TH/s preordered if they use every chip.

BFL has roughly 3x the orders TH/s-wise as bASIC.

I don't think half of all the chips are going to go into Jalapenos. There's a reason they started offering a "Little Single" upgrade from Jalapenos while still maintaining your place in line. Combined with the fact that they only use 1 chip instead of 8, I'd say it's a small percentage of their chips that will be in Jalapenos.

Askit2

Activity: 981

DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 10:22:58 AM

Maybe I am thinking about this wrong but for each single traded in BFL will send out about 8 asic chips.
1 SC single =8
2 Little Singles likely = 8
8 Jalapenos = 8.

The rigs will throw off the numbers but knowing the raw trade ins are 8 chips per single trade in maybe would get closer to the right number.
Though the Mini rig trade ins will get more. I would expect every order to have at least 8 ASIC chips unless someone paid for a single jalapeno or a little single by itself.

▄▄
        ▄█▀▀█▄
      ▄█▀ ▄▄ ▀█▄
      ▀ ▄████▄ ▀
   ▄▀ ▄ ▀████▀ ▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄
█  ███████  ███████  █
 ▀▄ ▀███▀ ▄▄ ▀███▀ ▄▀

▀▄ ▀ ▄████▄ ▀ ▄▀
      ▄ ▀████▀ ▄
      ▀█▄ ▀▀ ▄█▀
        ▀█▄▄█▀
          ▀▀
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▀███████
██████            ▀████████     ████     █████    █████     ███████
██████     ▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██████     █████    ████      ████    ████████
██████     ██████▄    █████     █████    ▀██▀  ▄▄  ▀██▀    ████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████    ██   ██   ██    █████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████    ██   ██   ██    █████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████     █   ██   █     █████████
██████     █████▀    ██████     ███████       ████       ██████████
██████     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████            ▄████████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
.DIWtoken.com.
▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
......SECURITY DECENTRALIZED...
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 03:25:29 PM

I don't think half of all the chips are going to go into Jalapenos. There's a reason they started offering a "Little Single" upgrade from Jalapenos while still maintaining your place in line. Combined with the fact that they only use 1 chip instead of 8, I'd say it's a small percentage of their chips that will be in Jalapenos.

I agree with your logic on this.  They went ahead with an upgrade option while maintaining current spots in line.  Makes me think they're good for it.
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:47:19 PM

I dont think we can predict how those chips will be placed between units. There are still people trading in japalenos to something better.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 05:50:32 PM

I dont think we can predict how those chips will be placed between units. There are still people trading in japalenos to something better.
The easiest and probably most accurate way is to just look at the wait list thread and assume that's close to the total distribution.
scrybe

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 09:35:52 PM

Why bother?

Just assume they are shipping ~15,000 chips over the first 6-8 weeks and finishing the 20K batch within another month or so (close to worst case, all 20K ship by 3/1.) It does not matter if they are in Jally's or Mini-rigs at the macro level, just multiply by 7.5 for worst case.

What is more interesting to me is the actual execution, will they achieve faster shipping, or will it take until 6/1 to sell out of the initial 20K batch?

I'm also trying to factor in a 20% boost in performance for all those chips someafter release when overclocking becomes common or BFL releases faster clockspeed firmware. (500Mhz to 600Mhz) A second boost of 33% (800Mhz)  is likely as well, but I'm betting something will give before we hit 1Ghz for most customers.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:00:00 PM

Well there is a relevance of chips <-> device coz it affects the difficulty.
The J'things produce a lot less GH/s per chip.

monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 11:02:59 PM

Actually i would like to know if those ASICs will be overclockable? Its no problem to put some fan on them, if that means more GH/s. If they will, that could raise difficulty even more.
2GOOD

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 11:08:33 PM

Actually i would like to know if those ASICs will be overclockable? Its no problem to put some fan on them, if that means more GH/s. If they will, that could raise difficulty even more.

AFAIK they will be at half speed ~500Mhz, so maybe with later firmware versions they will be.
IMO the more important question is would Jalapenos offer the possibility to put them at full speed i.e. 7.5Gh/s with proper power source and cooling.

HotSwap

Activity: 806

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 11:21:37 PM

AFAIK they will be at half speed ~500Mhz, so maybe with later firmware versions they will be.
IMO the more important question is would Jalapenos offer the possibility to put them at full speed i.e. 7.5Gh/s with proper power source and cooling.

I dont see why this would not be possible, there is always a way around that...  Roll Eyes

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net
scrybe

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 01:14:52 AM

Well there is a relevance of chips <-> device coz it affects the difficulty.
The J'things produce a lot less GH/s per chip.

If that impacts the overall hashrate by more than 10% I'd be amazed. Many more chips will be going into the other models, which means that the slower speed of the Jally should be discounted to 25%, 12.5% or less on a per unit basis.

let me just make a point, I don't think that Jally's are going to be as popular as singles (or even little singles) but let's assume half of what they sell if Jally's and they sell 1000 of each them and Singles.

Jally: 1000*4.5 = 4.5TH
Single: 1000*8*7.5 = 60TH
Total: 9000 Chips for 64.5TH
Average per chip: 7.16GH/s
Impact of shipping half Jally: 4.5% total hashrate reduction.

It does not matter because it's a small margin and it's something that will be breaking in our favor, but unpredictably. There are so many errors larger than 5% in guessing this stuff that you are better off just assuming the worst.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 05:34:33 PM

Has BFL even gotten the 20K chips yet? From what I've read, they'll need at least 40K chips to accomplish the same task. Too bad twice as many units were ordered since this exampled was used.

Now, BFL is in the chips selling business while investors who ordered Little Singles get pushed further down the queue since they were tricked by BFL to trade in their Chilly Peppers.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 04:18:48 AM

How is that 2 week FCC certification coming?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 02:10:08 PM

How is that 2 week FCC certification coming?
ahahaha, yeah an update on that would be nice eh?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 10:09:16 PM

Soon, we will get to the bottom of this. I just sent out 5 emails to the FCC. Tomorrow, I make a call. I tried earlier but they were already closed. Make no mistake, I will not make the same mistake tomorrow.

Josh/BFL, you want to play hardball? Let's Play!

GAME ON!
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:35:25 AM

Soon, we will get to the bottom of this. I just sent out 5 emails to the FCC. Tomorrow, I make a call. I tried earlier but they were already closed. Make no mistake, I will not make the same mistake tomorrow.

Josh/BFL, you want to play hardball? Let's Play!

GAME ON!
I don't see why you really care so much about BFL's FCC status.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: