Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 08:18:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN AntRouter R1: 1st wireless networking device with bitcoin mining chip  (Read 77478 times)
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 09:21:02 PM

im starting to see how gimmicky this thing really is..

its not much for travel, because MOST if not EVERY hotel has wifi.. not lan in the rooms.. also, you cant hook it up to wifi and bridge a non wifi device.. or make it a repeater if the signal is poor. < this would have probably been what they should have shot for

i dont think it has a battery. i guess using it as a phone charger works.. i charged my tablet with it. but it is MUCH larger then my actual tablet charger.. so if i went anywhere i dunno why i would take it.

as far as a miner goes.. its slow, 5.5ghs.. its NEVER going to find a block at todays difficulty.. been running for 24 hours now and so far my best share is only 84198..

bitmain mentioned something about points to spend on hashnest? something like 1 point an hour.. but nothing much as been mentioned about these.. or if its even a thing.

it does have wireless N.. and it has the option to force 40 mhz.. so i guess thats cool.. you can piss off your neighbors and run your wifi full band.

the more i play with this.. the more i wish i got something else.. oh, and i feel sorry for the people who purchased that 17$ US adapter. its not really needed. im hoping bitmain refunds them.

i hope someone finds a way to make a custom rom and installs the relayd package so you can use it as a repeater.. this would open up some usefulness.
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 09:55:41 PM

im starting to see how gimmicky this thing really is..

its not much for travel, because MOST if not EVERY hotel has wifi.. not lan in the rooms.. also, you cant hook it up to wifi and bridge a non wifi device.. or make it a repeater if the signal is poor. < this would have probably been what they should have shot for

i dont think it has a battery. i guess using it as a phone charger works.. i charged my tablet with it. but it is MUCH larger then my actual tablet charger.. so if i went anywhere i dunno why i would take it.

as far as a miner goes.. its slow, 5.5ghs.. its NEVER going to find a block at todays difficulty.. been running for 24 hours now and so far my best share is only 84198..

bitmain mentioned something about points to spend on hashnest? something like 1 point an hour.. but nothing much as been mentioned about these.. or if its even a thing.

it does have wireless N.. and it has the option to force 40 mhz.. so i guess thats cool.. you can piss off your neighbors and run your wifi full band.

the more i play with this.. the more i wish i got something else.. oh, and i feel sorry for the people who purchased that 17$ US adapter. its not really needed. im hoping bitmain refunds them.

i hope someone finds a way to make a custom rom and installs the relayd package so you can use it as a repeater.. this would open up some usefulness.

You can client mode which does allow a non wifi device to connect via ethernet to the wireless mode, an adapter can be purchased for 2$ on aliexpress and if this gets cheap shipping it will make it worth the 10$ extra for the phone charger and lotto device.

not quite understanding what you are describing..
the unit itself has a the potential to make a virtual lan and wan and relay to each so it has a repeater built in.. just the software is left out.
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:15:42 PM

Trying to make it mine but not able. I guess its because my R1 is connected to a router. Any idea where I can allow the R1 to work in my router ? Its a Asus RT-N53

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:23:12 PM

AntRouter R1 Manual v2015.09.10

Sorry for the quality but they used a very light color for the text.  Best I can do with my limited photo editing skills and an auto feed scanner.

English first pages https://i.imgur.com/a5iAvvj.jpg?1
English last pages https://i.imgur.com/U6OWGFz.jpg

Thank you! Lets me see it before mine comes.   It does look more like a quick start guide then real guide.

I'm a little surprised I was expecting one to explain each mode a little more.  But I was wrong it looks like.
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:27:35 PM

Trying to make it mine but not able. I guess its because my R1 is connected to a router. Any idea where I can allow the R1 to work in my router ? Its a Asus RT-N53
This should be the default mode. Plug the cat5 into your main router and it should get an IP from dhcp and start mining. You still have to log in and set up your account id.

Also I would password protect the wifi. It defaults open.
valkir
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:31:56 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2015, 11:15:02 PM by valkir

I did connect to it and Im able to go to r1.bm via my laptop but it doesnt mine.
I guess I need to change the protocol of it from 192.168.200.x to 192.168.1.x (my router protocol)

will try that.

edit: Ok so dont switch the protocol to dhcp because you will be fu**
Can someone good in network help ?
Ok reset everything worked. Now I need to be able to make the antrouter a relay ?

valkir
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 11:39:27 PM

It do really need to be able to be a repeater. Ether way this is almost useless.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:41:51 AM

It do really need to be able to be a repeater. Ether way this is almost useless.

Honestly it's not the best router, it's not made as router in it's main use.   So if looking for a true repeater get a different router that is focused on being a router.

This is a lotto device and router second.  You could argue 3rd is router if you see U3 controller as 2nd.  But if your expecting a fancy router chances are this is not the device for you.

I have not got mine yet to play with but I will post once I do.  I just see a lot better routers out there if your wanting a router.
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:58:42 AM

Honestly it's not the best router, it's not made as router in it's main use.   So if looking for a true repeater get a different router that is focused on being a router.

This is a lotto device and router second.  You could argue 3rd is router if you see U3 controller as 2nd.  But if your expecting a fancy router chances are this is not the device for you.

I have not got mine yet to play with but I will post once I do.  I just see a lot better routers out there if your wanting a router.

lacking the default bridge or repeater mode really handicaps this things usefulness..

and as far as a router goes.. if you have comcast, or any other provider..they already gave you one..

what i was hoping for was a small, outlet repeater that had usb so i can plug in a usb hub and throw some usb miners on it and bridge my s5 to it..
the ui this thing has is fantastic and i think will work perfect for sidehacks compac usb miners. i just dont know why they left out a basic function that could have been so easily added.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:20:54 AM

lacking the default bridge or repeater mode really handicaps this things usefulness..

and as far as a router goes.. if you have comcast, or any other provider..they already gave you one..

what i was hoping for was a small, outlet repeater that had usb so i can plug in a usb hub and throw some usb miners on it and bridge my s5 to it..
the ui this thing has is fantastic and i think will work perfect for sidehacks compac usb miners. i just dont know why they left out a basic function that could have been so easily added.

I hated the one they gave me on my internet.  It was such a pain from ISP.  Eventually I got them to put it in bridge mode where nothing but modem is turned on with their router.

I then use a asus blackhawk as my main router.  Which works great as I have many devices.  Also the 1 gigabit internet needed a pretty good router to not loose speed a lot of routers are not made or gigabit.

I can't wait to get to play with the R1 hopefully in a few days.
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:24:42 AM

This is the only feasible reason I would ever buy this is to use it as a wireless bridge. 
Without that function use your home router and your own miner and your better off.
Albeit a controller for a U3 aside. Tongue
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:37:38 AM

Honestly it's not the best router, it's not made as router in it's main use.   So if looking for a true repeater get a different router that is focused on being a router.

This is a lotto device and router second.  You could argue 3rd is router if you see U3 controller as 2nd.  But if your expecting a fancy router chances are this is not the device for you.

I have not got mine yet to play with but I will post once I do.  I just see a lot better routers out there if your wanting a router.

I hated the one they gave me on my internet.  It was such a pain from ISP.  Eventually I got them to put it in bridge mode where nothing but modem is turned on with their router.

I then use a asus blackhawk as my main router.  Which works great as I have many devices.  Also the 1 gigabit internet needed a pretty good router to not loose speed a lot of routers are not made or gigabit.

I can't wait to get to play with the R1 hopefully in a few days.

its a fun little device.. it seems based on the  Atheros AR71xx

for some reason they assigned eth0 to an IP of 192.168.200.1 even tho it doesnt seem to be used you CANNOT change this IP.. it will jam the whole thing up and you have to reset it..

if you bridge eth0, to eth1 and wwan and then put them all  on the lan firewall, and enable all 3 fields, uncheck all the boxes. you can connect a laptop to the lan and it will go online through dhcp..
the issue is as soon as you hit save and apply the whole thing locks up and only the laptop works online hah.. the unit wont be accessible.. or at least it wont respond to any incoming connections and i think it stops mining.. at least the light doesnt blink.

also the laptop will be on 192.168.200.100 IP.. and you have to set your WHOLE network to that IP range..

i am sure there will be a way.. just gotta find it.

i tried to install relayd from the generic trunk snapshot.. but it ended with an error 127..
valkir
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:38:26 AM

I already have a good router I just want to be able to put the R1 in chain with it. I only have 1 connexion from my modem so I cant put the R1 instead of my router. This is why I will have like if the R1 was a repeater. Not to get more wifi but to be able to use it  Tongue

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:43:23 AM

I already have a good router I just want to be able to put the R1 in chain with it. I only have 1 connexion from my modem so I cant put the R1 instead of my router. This is why I will have like if the R1 was a repeater. Not to get more wifi but to be able to use it  Tongue

you dont HAVE to have it connect to use it.

you can log into the device with LAN IP NOT though the wifi r1.bm you can delete the AP and rescan your wifi network and log into it..
you then just need to assign the wwan to accept incoming connections and uncheck the masquerading and clamping box. hit save and apply and it should go online by itself over wifi and be remote.. this is how i have mine setup now.

keep in mind the lan port wont do anything in this situation except let you log into the IP to manage the system. which you can do with the wifi ip too..
valkir
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:48:05 AM

Not sure to follow you. Can you log into IRC to talk ? check pm

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:49:44 AM

AntRouter R1 Manual v2015.09.10

Sorry for the quality but they used a very light color for the text.  Best I can do with my limited photo editing skills and an auto feed scanner.

English first pages https://i.imgur.com/a5iAvvj.jpg?1
English last pages https://i.imgur.com/U6OWGFz.jpg

Thank you! Lets me see it before mine comes.   It does look more like a quick start guide then real guide.

I'm a little surprised I was expecting one to explain each mode a little more.  But I was wrong it looks like.

It's interesting the way Bitmain appears to be marketing this router.  The manual as you can see if fairly simplistic and brief.  It's very retail oriented toward people with average to above average basic tech knowledge (like me).  Definitely not geared toward most members of this forum.
And the packaging is very "Apple-like."  It's a thick white box, shrinkwrapped and sturdy.  It's exactly like opening a small iphone box.
Personally, I don't see it selling well - in retail or here.  But I have to applaud the effort to expand their customer base.  Hopefully they are working on some additional retail products.  Similar hardware that most people have, but now it mines bitcoin too.
valkir
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:08:02 AM

you can log into the device with LAN IP NOT though the wifi r1.bm you can delete the AP and rescan your wifi network and log into it..
you then just need to assign the wwan to accept incoming connections and uncheck the masquerading and clamping box. hit save and apply and it should go online by itself over wifi and be remote.. this is how i have mine setup now.

keep in mind the lan port wont do anything in this situation except let you log into the IP to manage the system. which you can do with the wifi ip too..

+1 for Aaron Thanks buddy for the chat on IRC. I can now mines!  Grin

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 08:23:02 AM

+1 for Aaron Thanks buddy for the chat on IRC. I can now mines!  Grin

Care to share what the problem was for  us still waiting?  It is not sounding fun on setting up.

Are there any recommended advice you or others have for anyone else who will be installing one of these?
mm5aes

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:53:20 AM

Did anyone ever get an R1 shipped from ITOP?
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2015, 12:23:24 PM

Did anyone ever get an R1 shipped from ITOP?

Bitmain shipped out the R1 units pretty fast! I received mine already
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: