Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:01:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [AEON] Aeon Speculation  (Read 190016 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 06:20:16 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2016, 06:42:12 PM by cryptodromeda

I like Anonymous E-cash or True Digital Cash better the term blockchain speaks mostly to those in this arena and many of them know that Aeon is untraceable already and if not they will find out soon after and at that point it's not better than True Digital Cash or Anonymous E-cash. True digital cash has a larger audience. Also the blockchain is tracable, I found it through this thread  Smiley

Apart from this if you're also looking for a slogan - none of these are slogans.

For the purposes of clarity we're looking for a few words to act as an accompaninment to the logo.

the term blockchain speaks mostly to those in this arena and many of them know that Aeon is untraceable already

No that's not true - this is one of the struggles that Monero currently has. The current zeitgeist is actually pretty ignorant about Cryptonote and its origins. There may be a few peeps like Greg Maxwell who have a good understanding of it, but on the whole the overwhelming majority of the cryptospace regard Monero as simply another altcoin.

Some examples: Erik Voorhees has heard of Monero and accepts it at Shapeshift but hasn't personally ever looked into its technology; TheDailyDecrypt having a vague idea of Monero's untraceability, but again, not really having a visceral understanding of ring signatures; Stacy Herbert/Max Keiser speaking of the mysterious origins of Bitcoin, but never once speaking about the mysterious origins of Monero.

Fairly typical unfortunately.

Of course, there's actually an amazing story to be told about Cryptonote which the bitcoin industry-sphere still doesn't really get - a demonstrable 'education-dimension' which appears to be lacking from Monero's present promotional presence.

It's not unfixable, but it's something I think Aeon should be very cognizant of, and if played correctly could be solved quite cleverly.

Here's the problem I have with Aeon: Something Something Cash, or Aeon: Something Something E-Cash etc:-

Aside from not allowing the above problem to be remedied, it's also very obvious to the point of being useless. Of course it's a currency and it doesn't take much to research this. Thus a waste of valuable tagline space that could otherwise be reserved for valuable memetic sorcery.

Check the /r/Monero subreddit. Every once in a while you'll see a post that says something like:-

"Oh I was trying to explain Monero to my friend but he just said Bitcoin can already do that. But when my friend actually investigated it he became really interested in it. I wish more people actually understood it."

This is typical, and underscores that the education dimension plaguing Monero's visibility within the cryptospace is something that Aeon would do well to learn from.

The fact is, Aeon is not going to be able to jump from Level 0 (here) to Level 100 (mainstream) without the bitcoin intelligensia knowing about it along the way. The bitcoin intelligensia is key to the first step of achieving this, and thus we have to be getting into that bitcoin intelligensia conversation - not trying to bypass it or go direct to mainstream, which is impossible.

So what is the current nature of the conversation?

Ironically, it's not about bitcoin. It's all about the blockchain.

It appears that the banks and traditional financial infrastructures are significantly more willing to engage with the concept of the blockchain than they are bitcoin - despite them being essentially the same thing.

Why is this?

Maybe it's helpful for the banks to think that they're eating a "beef sandwich with cheese" rather than a cheeseburger.

Or perhaps savvy Bitcoin strategists understand the inevitable resistance by world governments that would arise from directly marketing bitcoin as bitcoin.

"Ah Zimbabwe relax! This isn't bitcoin, it is blockchain. It merely uses bitcoin for it's incentivisations!"

Or perhaps it stems from a genuine interest in expanding some of the other applications that arise from so-called 'blockchain technology'. Smart contracts, messaging etc.

Maybe it's all of these things.

Nonetheless, take a cursory glance of current bitcoin periodicals/publications that cirumnavigate current bitcoin introspective sentiment and this undoubtedly is the direction we are heading.

I would hazard a guess that in a few years from now people will be speaking about the blockchain in the same way that people currently speak about the internet. A single global ledger which is facilitated by the integrated 'house-currency' of bitcoin. (Kinda sneaky actually.)

So where does this leave Aeon?

Again, dressing ourselves up as a mere currency (or cash) only really kicks the ball a few meters down the street. It's lackluster, limp and despite being technically accurate, is actually pretty un-informative. That is the case even when prefixed by true or anonymous.

But marketting ourselves as AEON: The Untraceable Blockchain... right away in just three words it puts us in a completely different stratosphere altogether. It really annhiliates the current promotional boundaries that presently define altcoins and places us in direct opposition to the concept of a monolithic traceable global ledger that has bitcoin as it's integrated 'house-currency'.

Immediately, it says we are here to take on Bitcoin.

Let's not forget that AEON is potentially much more than just a currency anyway. Now that we have created and set in stone "The Aeon (æ)" which is an integrated component of our brand, it surely makes sense now to promote the other fundamental component that "the Aeon" is based upon - that being the Aeon blockchain. An alternative blockchain. (i.e an alternative to THE BLOCKCHAIN - a concept that the media is just starting to love.)

Future venture capitalists are not going to want to experiment in altcoins, because altcoins are not a part of THE BLOCKCHAIN. Weirdly though, grant them an ALTERNATIVE BLOCKCHAIN, and they will all come flocking. I guarantee it.

With AEON: The Untraceable Blockchain, we could put ourselves in a completely different promotional dimension entirely.

Consider this next sentence from the perspective of a blockchain venture capitalist:-

"This episode was today brought to you by AEON: The Untraceable Blockchain."

It immediately opens the door to a follow-up conversation about what that actually means, which then by extension goes on to explain cryptonote, ring signatures, and the need for an alternative blockchain based upon the human right of privacy.

Just think about it.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 07:53:38 PM

Well put and this design looks right.

sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 07:59:48 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2016, 08:10:32 PM by sammy007

I think since branding is likely solid now, why not start thinking about forum signatures? Maybe we can craft and vote for both Aeon and XMR signatures here so that both coins can be promoted together in a single sig. That might be a paradigm shift in a cryptocurrency promotion. We have to remember that we are promoting electronic cash - no one before us tried to do that.

So what is a difference? Aeon and Monero is not just a project, it's entirely different lifestyle - privacy centric lifestyle.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:17:15 PM

+1

crptodromeda, I have been watching the step by step evolution of the design and the accompanying words in amazement.  Well done, thank you Smiley
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 12:08:18 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2016, 12:19:25 PM by BitcoinForumator

I see where you are going with this now, how you're trying to position Aeon (the other one of the mighty duo) and what you are trying to capture. Very compelling and ballsy vision. Now only the "inteligentsia" has to grab it.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 01:13:48 PM

But marketting ourselves as AEON: The Untraceable Blockchain... right away in just three words it puts us in a completely different stratosphere altogether. It really annhiliates the current promotional boundaries that presently define altcoins and places us in direct opposition to the concept of a monolithic traceable global ledger that has bitcoin as it's integrated 'house-currency'.

Immediately, it says we are here to take on Bitcoin.

I'm in. And great job!
baseke

Activity: 389
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 01:18:58 AM

Stay anon with aeon o/
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 05:19:03 AM

Cryptodromeda, I too have put in some heartfelt and lengthy essays into this Speculation topic so I know how you feel. 

That was incredibly persuasive and well-written.  I feel heavily swayed towards your vision, but I'll need some time to reflect on it and the possible consequences. 

Much of what you said makes a lot of sense though.  Thanks for your ongoing and excellent contributions to this movement. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
mathgal23

Activity: 150
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:08:02 AM

+1

crptodromeda, I have been watching the step by step evolution of the design and the accompanying words in amazement.  Well done, thank you Smiley

Agreed. You have done quality work. After reading your comments I agree with your suggestion of AEON: The Untraceable Blockchain
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 03:32:40 PM

Agreed. You have done quality work. After reading your comments I agree with your suggestion of AEON: The Untraceable Blockchain

My thanks & agreement too. Now that it's "The Untraceable Blockchain", y'all are going to need a way to needle folks into getting a little irritated at open blockchains. In a Facebook age, the openness of the open ledger is actually an easier sell. A desire for privacy is usually trumped by vanity and a desire for popularity.

In essence, the political argument asks people to stifle their real desire to have everyone "Look At Me!" on the grounds of a serious but hypothetical threat. The old standard "they'll do it to X, they'll do it to you" has lost a lot of its power. What's to stop a Facebook type from dismissing it out of hand with, "But I'm not X! And I've got lots of friends who'll help me!" Popularity seekers really do believe that "strength in numbers" will protect them.

That's why I'm suggesting a little pokey-poke to get folks interested in "The Untraceable Blockchain." 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:13:23 PM

I have always thought it could be better to use the word "privacy" as "privacy" has some positive connotations
aeoncurrency

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 02:38:28 AM

Are we ready to vote on the use of ""The Untraceable Blockchain"?

I want to make sure we are ready to start branding by the time the LMDB and GUI work is done.
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:17:22 PM

Go for it. 

Let's give that branding a trial run, say for a year.  We can revisit the issue in a year, and if it still feels right we'll keep it. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:25:59 PM

Go for it. 

Let's give that branding a trial run, say for a year.  We can revisit the issue in a year, and if it still feels right we'll keep it. 

I think that we should take a vote on when to revisit the issue!  Grin
Now in all seriousness, great logo, statement, awesome all around.  Smiley

aeoncurrency

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:04:45 AM

Lets all agree that this is a great logo and adopt it now.

Can we table the slogan debate until later (since that is the only thing that remains contentious)?

Good plan.

AEON BRANDING PACK Version 12.5

Hereby releasing into the public domain all source material that pertains to AEON 12.1 iterations with corresponding text components but absent taglines.

I've set up a Dropbox and uploaded everything there, including multiple PNG formats for the principle social media formats as well as the source vector SVG files:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4b8hxwgtn6dpfa/AAArW3dZODKyxdQ0SEn0sXYna?dl=0

You'll find everything you need there.

The color palette and typeset is as follows:-

COLOR 1: #5fbcd3ff
COLOR 2: #2c89a0ff
COLOR 3: #164450ff
COLOR 4: #333333ff
COLOR 5: #ffffffff

TYPESET: Ebrima (Bold)

aeoncurrency... I recommend using the 400x400 logo for Twitter:-

https://i.imgur.com/xk1twj2.png

For everything else including websites, Reddit, splash screens etc.... you'll find it all in the DropBox.

Use it, spread it, do whatever you want with it.

Good luck! Kiss

Can you add a high resolution version with the slogan to dropbox?

TechorMarketing

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 11:56:03 AM

Is someone actively developing an Aeon website right now?
cryptodromeda

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 07:34:03 AM

Yep - I'll get on to that this week.

Not that I know of.

aeoncurrency

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 12:26:15 PM

Not that I know of.

Would a website be an appropriate use of donation funds? Or are those meant  to be focused on core development?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 12:37:08 PM

Not that I know of.

Would a website be an appropriate use of donation funds? Or are those meant  to be focused on core development?

A web site would be appropriate, but the budget is limited. Even though the number of coins in there is decent, the market value is still not much, and the liquidity is very weak (i.e. dumping coins would trash the value even more).

If some community member wants to take on web and be included in the coin team for purpose of being eligible for a share of the donation coins later once they might be worth something, then I'm all for it, but not in favor of dumping to pay for stuff in the current market, or paying them out to someone who is likely to dump them. BTW, I consider the logo development work in that category as well, especially if the logo ends up being successful and long-lived.

Another option would be a crowd fund. In that case I'd suggest raising funds using a bigger coin like XMR or BTC to avoid the dumping issue. A web development budget is a much smaller deal even for XMR's market (obviously BTC too).

cryptodromeda

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 03:40:11 PM

AEON BRANDING PACK Version 13.1

All new logo iterations with and without tagline branding (PNG and SVG) have been uploaded to the following folder (13.1) on Dropbox:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l6db52ehs6trzfb/AADFyL0s2I2a4JkXX0wH4Zs2a?dl=0

Please use this link for all future use. (12.5 folder will be retained for legacy.)

Color Palette

COLOR 1: #5fbcd3ff
COLOR 2: #2c89a0ff
COLOR 3: #164450ff
COLOR 4: #444444ff
COLOR 5: #ffffffff

Font

TYPESET: Ebrima (Bold)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: