Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:06:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1]  (Read 155269 times)
kaerf

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 07:00:44 PM

not sure exactly how much time is needed to qc and package, but it looks like by around christmas time asicminer should have chips?

avalon should have theirs around the same time too, right? or even before then if the demo is to occur late Dec.

Yifu, can you comment on your demo timelines? and what will occur between demo and shipping?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:55:13 AM

not sure exactly how much time is needed to qc and package, but it looks like by around christmas time asicminer should have chips?

avalon should have theirs around the same time too, right? or even before then if the demo is to occur late Dec.

Yifu, can you comment on your demo timelines? and what will occur between demo and shipping?

I understood that the demo would be based on a chips coming from a MPW.  Then, if this is successful, a new maskset would be made and full wafers produced using the design, which would go into the products we would receive.

I find it hard to believe that a new tapeout and wafer production can happen in between then and Jan 14, much less board production and everything else that will be needed to ship out the door on Jan 14th.

How has Avalon been able to shortcut this process?  Are they also taking the 'cajones de acero' approach, and like BFL, producing full wafers from the start?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:42:07 AM

I understood that the demo would be based on a chips coming from a MPW.  Then, if this is successful, a new maskset would be made and full wafers produced using the design, which would go into the products we would receive.

I find it hard to believe that a new tapeout and wafer production can happen in between then and Jan 14, much less board production and everything else that will be needed to ship out the door on Jan 14th.

How has Avalon been able to shortcut this process?  Are they also taking the 'cajones de acero' approach, and like BFL, producing full wafers from the start?

yes

no one use MPW this time. include us, BFL ,bASIC, asicminer, etc.

just like a Chinese network catchword: we are all fighting without pants. (我们都已经脱了裤子干了)
kaerf

Activity: 631

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:07:02 AM

bASIC has said they have had demo chips (initial prototype burned out, but they have more chips than were in the prototype), so they have done MPW.

ngzhang, so after you've validated a few initial chips and demo, it's straight to production? hope you guys pull off an ahead of schedule shipping time!
ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:55:50 AM

bASIC has said they have had demo chips (initial prototype burned out, but they have more chips than were in the prototype), so they have done MPW.

sorry, we simply disbelieve it.  Smiley

ngzhang, so after you've validated a few initial chips and demo, it's straight to production? hope you guys pull off an ahead of schedule shipping time!

thank you. Grin
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:21:49 PM

Newsletter time?
BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:06:04 PM

Updating as promised,

Let's be frank. We ran into a potential delay of 4-7 days.

What does this mean?

We when taped out the chips to TSMC we had a "projected out date" of Jan 3, 2013 which is on schedule with our late dec. / early jan. demonstration dates. Now however after this week's website update our "projected out date" has changed to Jan 7th, 2013 and "committed date" has been revealed to be Jan 10th, 2013. TSMC did not give us a reason for this, but as a small customer you are really at the mercy of bigger customers running higher priority lots. e.g. "super hot lot"  The "committed date" is the promised date of delivery, it is very unusual for TSMC to break their "committed date", so we expect our chips to ship on or before Jan 10th, 2013.

Another potential problem is Customs clearing, the packaging company Fujitsu is located in Shanghai's Export Processing Zone (EPZ), while the packaging itself will not see delays, it may take an additional 2-3 days to clear Customs. To make up for this, if it occurs, we will be flying down to Shanghai to the demonstration in the EPZ instead of waiting for the shipping to the factory for assembly.

With all this happening, it has burned through the 1 week additional leeway time we originally left out. I must say it will be difficulty for us to ship on Jan 14th, we however expect to ship around Jan 18 ~ 20.

Since some people were wondering how many chips are on a wafer earlier in the thread after we posted the MT forms I'll tell you, each wafer contains 4055 chips.
Code:
TSMC
TMEM91
================================================
Chip Size :   X = 3.9760 ,Y = 4.0560 mm
Reticle Size :   X/cell =  3 ,Y/cell =  3
Offset Value :   X = -3.7668 ,Y = -2.2990 mm
Alignment Mark :   (118.80,83.20),(-118.80,-83.20)
Alignment Mark Tolerant Distance :      1.6 mm
Notch Reserved Distance :   7.75 mm
Start Distance :   7.75 mm
Ring Edge :   3.0 mm
Photo Die Number:    4055

and this is the chip layout.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:09:34 PM

Updating as promised,

Let's be frank. We ran into a potential delay of 4-7 days.

What does this mean?

We when taped out the chips to TSMC we had a "projected out date" of Jan 3, 2013 which is on schedule with our late dec. / early jan. demonstration dates. Now however after this week's website update our "projected out date" has changed to Jan 7th, 2013 and "committed date" has been revealed to be Jan 10th, 2013. TSMC did not give us a reason for this, but as a small customer you are really at the mercy of bigger customers running higher priority lots. e.g. "super hot lot"  The "committed date" is the promised date of delivery, it is very unusual for TSMC to break their "committed date", so we expect our chips to ship on or before Jan 10th, 2013.

Another potential problem is custom clearing, the packaging company Fujitsu is located in Shanghai's Export Processing Zone (EPZ), while the packaging itself will not see delays, it may take an additional 2-3 days to clear customs. To make up for this, if it occurs, we will be flying down to Shanghai to the demonstration in the EPZ instead of waiting for the shipping to the factory for assembly.

With all this happening, it has burned through the 1 week additional leeway time we originally left out. I must say it will be difficulty for us to ship on Jan 14th, we however expect to ship around Jan 18 ~ 20.

Since some people were wondering how many chips are on a wafer earlier in the thread after we posted the MT forms I'll tell you, each wafer contains 4055 chips.
Code:
TSMC
TMEM91
================================================
Chip Size :   X = 3.9760 ,Y = 4.0560 mm
Reticle Size :   X/cell =  3 ,Y/cell =  3
Offset Value :   X = -3.7668 ,Y = -2.2990 mm
Alignment Mark :   (118.80,83.20),(-118.80,-83.20)
Alignment Mark Tolerant Distance :      1.6 mm
Notch Reserved Distance :   7.75 mm
Start Distance :   7.75 mm
Ring Edge :   3.0 mm
Photo Die Number:    4055

and this is the chip layout.

Very interesting, thanks for the update.
Do you know how many chips will be in each Avalon yet, or do you have a date for when you'll know that information?
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:19:55 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the update.
Do you know how many chips will be in each Avalon yet, or do you have a date for when you'll know that information?

We don't plan to release this information, any information regarding our unit's internal you will have to find from pictures our customers who feels like uploading. This is our trade secret as we feel we designed a truly unique and innovative unit.

Dagger75

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:50:47 PM

Thank you for the Honest as well as Informative post. 

>>>http://foundation.leafco.in/<<<  Please help support our cause

>>>A True Alt, with a True Purpose<<<  $$Leafcoin$$
miter_myles

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:02:19 PM

excellent information and updating going on here..  ALL the other ASIC sellers should be taking notes and following along the same line with the detail and information being passed.  Sadly, at this point they are not even in the same ballpark..

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:15:53 PM

So I take that picture of the chip layout, print it out on my inkjet printer, glue it to a heatsink, then plug it in to the wall, right? Then I've got gigahashes?

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:34:12 PM

So I take that picture of the chip layout, print it out on my inkjet printer, glue it to a heatsink, then plug it in to the wall, right? Then I've got gigahashes?
Don't forget to overclock.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:44:53 PM

We don't plan to release this information, any information regarding our unit's internal you will have to find from pictures our customers who feels like uploading. This is our trade secret as we feel we designed a truly unique and innovative unit.

Wait, it's your trade secret, but it's okay for customers to divulge?
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:49:42 PM

How would they even begin to prevent customers from exploring the workings of their own hardware? A "warranty void if removed" sticker isn't all that menacing to many.

BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:58:50 PM

How would they even begin to prevent customers from exploring the workings of their own hardware? A "warranty void if removed" sticker isn't all that menacing to many.

It is like creativex said, I'm just delaying the inevitable, there is absolutely zero benefits for us to release this information, we will happily provide any information after release though, when it is no longer relevant to our competitors.

ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:03:51 PM

It is like creativex said, I'm just delaying the inevitable, there is absolutely zero benefits for us to release this information, we will happily provide any information after release though, when it is no longer relevant to our competitors.

I think, reserve some surprises are important too.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:13:35 PM

He's basically saying they understand the nature of trying to enforce Intellectual Property in this world. It's impossible. So because of that, they are just going to focus on making the best product they can, and get it out to as many people as they can so that once it is reverse-engineered, their customers will already be so far ahead of the game it won't really benefit anyone to try to duplicate their product, because they'll have raised enough money to work on a redesign for a "Generation 2" product.

If the other ASIC devs were smart, they'd be buying orders of Avalons once we know they are legit, IMHO, specifically for the reverse-engineering opportunities. What's probably the saddest about the situation is that it looks like Avalon isn't only going to be the best designed, but it also looks like it might end up being the first to hit the network, too. So that means everyone else is going to be playing catch-up.

I was hoping for the sake of the Bitcoin network that there would be at least two competitors, one with a better product and one with more timely delivery. Not sure how this is all going to play out in the end.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:26:16 PM

I think, reserve some surprises are important too.
How many wafers are you two waiting on at this time?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:29:33 PM

He's basically saying they understand the nature of trying to enforce Intellectual Property in this world. It's impossible. So because of that, they are just going to focus on making the best product they can, and get it out to as many people as they can so that once it is reverse-engineered, their customers will already be so far ahead of the game it won't really benefit anyone to try to duplicate their product, because they'll have raised enough money to work on a redesign for a "Generation 2" product.

If the other ASIC devs were smart, they'd be buying orders of Avalons once we know they are legit, IMHO, specifically for the reverse-engineering opportunities. What's probably the saddest about the situation is that it looks like Avalon isn't only going to be the best designed, but it also looks like it might end up being the first to hit the network, too. So that means everyone else is going to be playing catch-up.

I was hoping for the sake of the Bitcoin network that there would be at least two competitors, one with a better product and one with more timely delivery. Not sure how this is all going to play out in the end.
You mean...300 hundred lucky individuals will mine like crazy while the other thousands are stuck waiting in line? Say it ain't so!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: