Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:54:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 [672] 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 ... 764 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA  (Read 1471700 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
akamy789

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:23:09 PM

The major difference IOTA is offering is the complete lack of transaction fees with systems in place to combat spam attacks.
The goal of IOTA is to create an efficient data exchange network between these products. IOTA has procured large contracts with major companies instead of the mass distribution techniques Byteball went about.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
djpitagora

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:26:20 PM

I politely disagree with the statement “If you can’t trust the developers to uphold the fundamentals of crypto, specifically immutability and security, then you shouldn’t invest a single cent into the project.”.
Trust has nothing to do with ability of getting profit from this coin. The incident affects bottom line of the IOTA price for sure. But this doesn’t mean that a can’t get couple of dollars extra on untrusted currency. Sure, it becomes more risky investment. But it can be still leveraged as investment. I also think it is possible to repair trust by chaning the ways this cryptocoin works over the course of many years. This is a matter of support of this project by talanted developers and their wiliness for improving.

that is cold man. True, but cold. Reading your post actually inspired me and I bought today a coin that I know will ultimately fail. But chances are likes you say, I will get to make a ton of money before it does. The only problem is what happens if somebody blows the whistle before you get out :|
AsepHendar27

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:29:22 PM

Is there bounty campaigne?
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:33:18 PM

I understand your perspective Sergio.

I’m submitting that the scope of what iota is trying to achieve is much more than a profit venture. Frankly, to begin implementing its premise alone is a gigantic undertaking. While we as investors are very much concerned with profits, my belief is that this team really believes that they can pull this off. Perhaps they are not able to deploy iota and it fails for one of a thousand reasons, I’m here because I think they really want to. The majority of the negative reactions and technical setbacks experienced are typical for novel technologies and should be included in the initial risk assessment for all of ones investments.

Iota is a high risk investment. It’s potential rewards are unbounded.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
Jacky_Chan

Activity: 146
Merit: 150

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:14:59 PM

The ripple’s marketcap is almost half of the bitcoin’s marketcap. It made me to think that not only #2 spot is shakable but also the #1 spot.
SergioOliva2018

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:25:37 PM

The ripple’s marketcap is almost half of the bitcoin’s marketcap. It made me to think that not only #2 spot is shakable but also the #1 spot.
Number 1 place is shakeable. But it will take a decade to get there with right development strategy.
Also the single fact that institutional investors (american funds) not long ago started trading with the Bitcoint points out that the marketcap will double, triple and quadriple in the course of 1 year or so. IOTA needs to get on the good side of FCC by implementing better security in near future.
kobo_eth

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:37:48 PM

Number 1 place is shakeable. But it will take a decade to get there with right development strategy.
Also the single fact that institutional investors (american funds) not long ago started trading with the Bitcoint points out that the marketcap will double, triple and quadriple in the course of 1 year or so. IOTA needs to get on the good side of FCC by implementing better security in near future.

Ripple is just being artificially pumped up now - news, media, internet, the hype is amazing.
Something similar happened with IOTA drastic rise if you remember a month or so ago. Bitcoin however is very difficult to be overtaken IMO

Jacky_Chan

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:38:02 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 07:48:57 PM by Jacky_Chan

I didn’t mean IOTA. I meant any coins have the chance to take over the #1 spot based on today’s trend as long as they do it right. I don’t think it will take a decade. Again, based on today’s trend it could happen in a couple of years.
Jacky_Chan

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:45:30 PM

Ripple is just being artificially pumped up now - news, media, internet, the hype is amazing.
Something similar happened with IOTA drastic rise if you remember a month or so ago. Bitcoin however is very difficult to be overtaken IMO

You think IOTA is pumped right now as well?

Talking about pump and performance, IOTA is not even in the top10 in 2017 - https://qz.com/1169000/ripple-was-the-best-performing-cryptocurrency-of-2017-beating-bitcoin/
ninjacoins

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:49:31 PM

50% of reclaims have been processed so far. Not long now until all claims have been processed. Hopefully before the 10th January.
SergioOliva2018

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:50:59 PM

I didn’t mean only IOTA has the chance to take over bitcoin’s #1 spot. I meant any coins have the chance based on today’s trend as long as they do it right. I don’t think it will take a decade. Again, based on today’s trend it could happen in a couple of years.
Here is a single drawback inherited by almost any cryptocurrency from original Bitcoin algorithm (related to the term blockchain): as transaction volume grows the calculation complexity increases as well. The more popular coin becomes the less number of transactions per second is possible. Bitcoin grew so much that only 8 transactions per second available for anywhere in whole world. Think about it - this cryptocurrency is useless now for use as an actual currency in online stores for wide use. The delays are ridiculious if you would like to send bitcoin anywhere. This situation will even become worse overtime.
IOTA is different from this prospective, the number of transactions per second is unlimited. As long as other factors are covered (such as security holes, trust by users to dev team, bug fixes with the second transaction erasing first unconfirmed transaction, etc) this coin has a bright future. But there is also possibility that developers won’t improve it and some other better coin with frequent transaction scalability comes out and IOTA will loose momentum as the result.
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:06:58 PM

50% of reclaims have been processed so far. Not long now until all claims have been processed. Hopefully before the 10th January.
where can we see this?
thx Smiley
ninjacoins

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:16:40 PM

where can we see this?
thx Smiley

Dom said in Slack today. Cant attach image but the time was 7.22pm today, under general slack channel
BitcoinArsenal

Activity: 924
Merit: 556

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:45:14 PM

where can we see this?
thx Smiley

I suggest to follow the following site in order to get a sense what the status is.
https://forum.helloiota.com/1242/Reclaim-Status

Last update today

3rd January status:

- No reclaims have been sent out today.

So far, a total of 520 reclaims have been processed, with a combined value of 26.718 Gi.
Last transaction was yesterday, with value of 198.9 Mi.

List of reclaims that were sent yesterday: https://pastebin.com/a2fuNfHL
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:48:21 PM

The head of Internet of Things @Amazon AWS just tweeted about IOTA...

https://twitter.com/jojobickley/status/948609600839806978

#IOTA is the first distributed ledger technology (DLT) to go beyond a #blockchain — it enables machines to securely transact data and money with each other for a micro fee. Imagine a car that, from sensor data, retrieves information about a malfunctioning car part. #connectedcars

djpitagora

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:57:04 PM

I didn’t mean only IOTA has the chance to take over bitcoin’s #1 spot. I meant any coins have the chance based on today’s trend as long as they do it right. I don’t think it will take a decade. Again, based on today’s trend it could happen in a couple of years.
Here is a single drawback inherited by almost any cryptocurrency from original Bitcoin algorithm (related to the term blockchain): as transaction volume grows the calculation complexity increases as well. The more popular coin becomes the less number of transactions per second is possible. Bitcoin grew so much that only 8 transactions per second available for anywhere in whole world. Think about it - this cryptocurrency is useless now for use as an actual currency in online stores for wide use. The delays are ridiculious if you would like to send bitcoin anywhere. This situation will even become worse overtime.
IOTA is different from this prospective, the number of transactions per second is unlimited. As long as other factors are covered (such as security holes, trust by users to dev team, bug fixes with the second transaction erasing first unconfirmed transaction, etc) this coin has a bright future. But there is also possibility that developers won’t improve it and some other better coin with frequent transaction scalability comes out and IOTA will loose momentum as the result.

not all blockchains have that weakness, only those forked from BTC. Take a look at the sky coin whitepaper. In theory it should be able to scale. Not tested though.
SergioOliva2018

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:07:20 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 09:36:23 PM by SergioOliva2018

not all blockchains have that weakness, only those forked from BTC. Take a look at the sky coin whitepaper. In theory it should be able to scale. Not tested though.
That is why I used “almost” in my first sentence Wink
Jacky_Chan

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:22:51 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 02:48:36 AM by Jacky_Chan

I worry about Ether most. It seems they have not found a viable scaling solution yet - https://www.coindesk.com/vitalik-buterin-announces-new-subsidies-for-ethereum-scaling-research/. And in the mean time, there are so many competitors which soon will come out and everyone claim it is better than Ether such as ada, eos, neo, qtum, tezos, boscoin, rsk, and the revolutionary tau chain.
Fragbait

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:55:10 AM

Are the KYC addresses listed in the blogpost (https://blog.iota.org/claims-and-reclaims-finalization-e692844c505a) the old addresses of the old seeds or the new addresses of the new seeds where the foundation should send the tokens in this reclaim process?

This is important to know because afaik there's no way to know what your old addresses with the old seeds were anymore unless you for some reason had written them down somewhere.
tyKiwanuka
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1670

#birdgang

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 07:21:22 AM

Are the KYC addresses listed in the blogpost (https://blog.iota.org/claims-and-reclaims-finalization-e692844c505a) the old addresses of the old seeds or the new addresses of the new seeds where the foundation should send the tokens in this reclaim process?

This is important to know because afaik there's no way to know what your old addresses with the old seeds were anymore unless you for some reason had written them down somewhere.

The old (reused) addresses. Afaik you can check them with your old seed (history -> addresses), you might have to generate and attach a few because of the snapshot that happened in October.

.....wie die Zeit fliegt.....
Pages: « 1 ... 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 [672] 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 ... 764 »
  Print  

Jump to: