May 09, 2024, 08:40:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Viᖚes (social currency unit)?
like - 27 (27.6%)
might work - 10 (10.2%)
dislike - 17 (17.3%)
prefer tech name, e.g. factom, ion, ethereum, iota, epsilon - 15 (15.3%)
prefer explicit currency name, e.g. net⚷eys, neㄘcash, ᨇcash, mycash, bitoken, netoken, cyberbit, bitcash - 2 (2%)
problematic - 2 (2%)
offending / repulsive - 4 (4.1%)
project objectives unrealistic or incorrect - 10 (10.2%)
biased against lead dev or project ethos - 11 (11.2%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [neㄘcash, ᨇcash, net⚷eys, or viᖚes?] Name AnonyMint's vapor coin?  (Read 95218 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:00:42 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 10:35:58 AM by TPTB_need_war

More crazy currency name brainstorming:

cooljacks
cyberjuice
etastico
mobicash
mobit
mobie
mobyo
cybol
cybill

I think I like mobies. Mobi means mobile. Etasticos are neato.

Quote from: prvt msg
Advertising is something that people hate when they use web pages, and web site owners simply have to use them to keep the site operating and funded. Perhaps the netcodes could be used on web sites instead of ads by allowing people to pay with netcodes or giving a few seconds of cpu time mining codes for the site owner? Could be something people would gladly do instead of seeing ads if the user experience wouldn't suffer too much.

Exactly that is the point.

Quote from: prvt msg
And oh forgot to mention that if a page has a link that "costs" 10 netcodes, people will more likely pay or mine a few seconds for that, but if it costs 10 netcash, just because of the name they will associate it with money and people are reluctant to pay any money even how little if they think it should be free but they'll be fine generating "codes". Smiley

Good point. Yeah we don't want 'cash' in the name of the juice that can drive the web. It should be something users generate for free from mining and web activity and don't even know it.

It is more akin to web inertia or ethos we are trying to capture in a name. As my grandma used to say, "use it or lose it" (she was speaking about time and her body, but same point applies).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:44:41 AM

I like cyberjuice, unique  Cool
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 12:04:17 PM

Ion doesn't mean money. And it doesn't mean anything as a social money to normal people. Ion/Aeon is a geek forum type pump name. Good for a coinmarketcap listing, but not enough for big time user adoption. Cool for altcoin speculators, but very limited user adoption scope. It is perfect for the Aeon folks. Let them have it. I want to attempt something with much wider adoption ambitions.

While I appreciate your support, I would have to argue that "bitcoin" in 2008 was about as geeky as it gets.  Aeon conveys a lot of things to me, a branding expert, notably something ethereal (digital money) but also exclusive and luxurious. 

You know what I think of when I think of Aeon? (of course, I am investing heavily in it so my opinion should be regarded with a gallon of salt) 

In fact, even making this post makes me wonder if we should start calling our sub-units 'credits' as well.   Wink

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 12:18:22 PM

I associate "credits" with debt creation, it does not appeal to me  Huh
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 02:14:50 PM

I associate "credits" with debt creation, it does not appeal to me  Huh

Since money is literally a ledger of debt, that is fine by me.  Creating fake debt out of thin air is what is happening now, and that is bad, but keeping track of legitimate debt is the entire purpose of money.  But this is TPTB's thread; I'll take my ion, aeon, and credit chat elsewhere.  

To stay on Topic, TPTB - I hope that your super-tangle currency focuses on the issue of infinite scalability.  Even if it falls short on the privacy front, there may be a future for it if it can be used by the average consumer to buy coffee with.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
THX 1138

Activity: 208
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:36:55 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 07:32:33 PM by THX 1138

Have just been reading about ZapChain:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-social-network-zapchain-raises-350k/

"...ZapChain is also launching a new digital community creation tool today. Users can customize community incentives using bitcoin, meaning that micropayments can be made to those who post content, start discussions and sell products or services..."

EDIT:

https://www.zapchain.com/a/l/zapchain-a-little-explanation/lrKyNSmcWo

"What does it mean to add a reward to a question?

Adding a reward means giving people who answer your question bits, which are small amounts of money. It incentivized the ZapChain community to provide the best answers possible for your question."
RAJSALLIN

Activity: 665
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:52:08 PM

Makes me sad to see you're still brainstorming names, just like you were with me and a few others in April 2014. Like I said then use your energy to complete the damn coin instead of waisting so much time on names which tbh probably aren't so important in the end anyway.

A revolutionary decentralized digital economy 
`Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github`
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:33:38 PM

Makes me sad to see you're still brainstorming names, just like you were with me and a few others in April 2014. Like I said then use your energy to complete the damn coin instead of waisting so much time on names which tbh probably aren't so important in the end anyway.

Hey! He's an artist.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:52:00 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 01:24:32 AM by TPTB_need_war

Ion doesn't mean money. And it doesn't mean anything as a social money to normal people. Ion/Aeon is a geek forum type pump name. Good for a coinmarketcap listing, but not enough for big time user adoption. Cool for altcoin speculators, but very limited user adoption scope. It is perfect for the Aeon folks. Let them have it. I want to attempt something with much wider adoption ambitions.

While I appreciate your support, I would have to argue that "bitcoin" in 2008 was about as geeky as it gets.  Aeon conveys a lot of things to me, a branding expert, notably something ethereal (digital money) but also exclusive and luxurious.

I am contented that Aeon's community likes the name. And I am contented with Netcodes because it is precisely the best name for marketing directly to users. I am quite ecstatic that no one seems to grasp the "killer app" which is right under their nose and I have even explained it yesterday, but still I assume readers don't have a clue. Which is perfect. I am smirking from ear-to-ear that there are so many marketing dunces on this forum who think netcodes is a poor name. When they get their ass handed to them in the marketplace, it is going to be so sweet the taste of seeing them realize they've been PWN3D.

Netcash (or Netgold) is perfect for those who want decentralized store-of-value.

I like cyberjuice, unique  Cool

Yeah I like that also, except it is sometimes associated with drugs. Netcodes seems more direct-to-the-point though (need access to some web resource, thus you need to get some netcodes). Cyberjuice has more pizzazz.

Btw, I also don't like credits because I associate it with debt.

Hey! He's an artist.

Hahaha. Okay fool I challenge you to not buy what I am creating. Will you make that promise? Put your words where your foot is. (this is going to be fun)

RAJ my man, as you know I was horridly sick for the past 3 years. Also I think perhaps you dismiss that I was first to invent Zero Knowledge Transactions in June/July. Since you have a similar condition to mine (yet apparently not as debilitating), then you should have some clue that my production was not retarded by my choice of actions, but rather by chronic fucking fatigue and autoimmune hell. Hope you reviewed my latest treatment regimen, because for 3+ weeks I've for the most part not had significant CFS, headaches, etc.. Note for the past week or so, I stopped taking the antibiotics. Also increased the Magnesium, Niacin, and added vitamin C.

The ONLY issue is my health. If my health hadn't been so fucked up over the past 3 years, I would have long ago released a coin (anonymously in 2014). But in hindsight I am very glad I didn't release a coin in 19942014. My understanding of the tech has radically improved since then. And so far since I been doing this new therapy of antibiotics, alpha lipoic acid, and n-acetyl cysteine, my relapses are very mild (a few hours of slight headache but I can continue working through it, not bed ridden) and I've been sleeping much more (whereas I was insomniac before this change in therapy). I haven't had time yet to address the other suggestions on my health, nor to get any additional lab work done. I been balls out on my work these past 18 days or so.

The likelihood that one man could go from nothing to testbed with a codecbase written from scratch in only months is insane. Not to mention a sick man, who is blind in one eye, and not as young as he was when he did his insane coding performances (you know sleeping under the desk).

But I am not asking for your money or trust before I prove something. And I LOVE A CHALLENGE.

I can't yet quantify how much my mental facilities are degraded or suffer from my health saga (which I cringe every time I mention it publicly because it so fucking narcissistic, I'd much rather be strong and just make action than make excuses because of fucking health!). I know for example while I was at the disco I felt no ill health and so I was able to design in my head while partying. I made the epiphany while at the disco that Lightning Networks would better integrate with my design than Bitcoin itself. But I do know that the brain fog has destroyed innumerable man-hours and probably also caused me to incur lapses in mental acuity. I am just hoping my condition will continue to improve on the current therapy. We will just see how it goes.

What has been so difficult for me since 2012 is that the illness prevented me from doing the intensity that I need to maintain the momentum of being totally engrossed and motivated by the daily accomplishments. I did briefly regain that form in April 2015, and then I fell apart healthwise by late-July or so (ended up on a 10 day water only fast in August, and spiraling into nearly severe debilitation in September). Now I am on a new therapy for the past 3+ weeks, I've been able to go full blast every day (which is so very encouraging but I still have days or moments where I think that debilitating malaise might be returning, but then I amp up the anti-oxidants/supplements regimen and sleep a lot and feel better again, so hopefully I have a therapy/diet that works).

TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:50:25 AM

Hey! He's an artist.

What is hilarious is that so many people don't realize I am taking on Google and advertising as a model for the web. Do these dolts think users want these fucking ads on their Youtubes.

THX 1138

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 06:35:00 PM

Was my previous post regarding ZapChain completely irrelevent to this discussion? The concept of tipping contributors with "Bits".

ZapChain is also launching a new digital community creation tool today. Users can customize community incentives using bitcoin, meaning that micropayments can be made to those who post content, start discussions and sell products or services.

I think the name ZapChain is pretty snappy. Would it have been considered if not already used?
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:45:44 AM

Forget yoobit, as I said there are too many copycat permutations:

https://yobit.net/en/

TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 03:21:34 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2015, 01:35:28 AM by TPTB_need_war

For all those up thread expressing opinion about priorities and why should I expend effort on naming now, here is a potentially $billion lesson for you.

Is it unfair that Michael Jordan earns a $100 million annually for doing nothing but smoke cigars. Or is it because he had his priorities correct and ignored the political bullshit:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/11/06/kareem-abdul-jabbar-michael-jordan-took-commerce-over-conscience/

Quote from: His Airness
“Republicans buy sneakers, too,”

For $36.51, I registered the following domain names:

clickchain.biz
clickchain.click
clickchain.co
clickchain.me
clickchain.net
clickchain.us

After contemplating the currency unit then for $115.98, I registered the following domain names:

clicha.in
clichain.biz
clichain.click
clichain.co
clichain.com
clichain.me
clichain.net
clichain.org
clicode.biz
clicode.click
clicode.co
clicode.me
clicode.net
clicode.us
clicode.org

After contemplating that ClickCash is already taken by an adult affiliates network and that Netcash is probably a superior name yet lacking the unification around the "clic" prefix, as an insurance policy on future decisions I decided to spend $25.06 to register:

clic.cash

After contemplating that we might want to keep our options open to use the 'net' prefix instead, I spent $20.53 to register:

netcha.in
netchain.biz
netchain.co
netchain.us

P.S. I had a relapse of my shit health and was incapacitated for the entire day on Sunday. I believe this was due to practicing basketball intensely on Sat & Sun mornings (in hot tropical sun). Exercise seems to always increase my inflammation and destabilize my condition. However, I also ate outside over the past 2 days, and my other theory is that my illness has been exacerbated by that all prepared food in the Philippines is cooked with MSG (monosodium glutamate). I know that without sufficient glutathione, then glutamate can cause inflammation. I really need to find a lab test for an anti-oxidant panel[1] in this backass country. I've been supplementing anti-oxidants and have added vitamin A as of Sunday. I got back on my coconut milk + greens + tuna diet Sunday evening and this morning. And seems I might be back to functioning today. This was the first serious relapse in past weeks, and correlates to both first time to exercise hard and also to eat outside.

[1]http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Cracking-the-code-on-antioxidant-testing
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Antioxidant_status_profile
http://www.brunswicklabs.com/antioxidants
https://www.gdx.net/product/oxidative-stress-analysis-2-test-blood

Was my previous post regarding ZapChain completely irrelevent to this discussion? The concept of tipping contributors with "Bits".

ZapChain is also launching a new digital community creation tool today. Users can customize community incentives using bitcoin, meaning that micropayments can be made to those who post content, start discussions and sell products or services.

I think the name ZapChain is pretty snappy. Would it have been considered if not already used?

First let's give credit to f2000 for first raising the potential of "chain":

I was reading this thread on my mobile and misread Chan for Chain (which I love), but it seems there is already a company in the space called chain (https://chain.com/). Perhaps its where I'm from in the world, but Chan doesn't sound right (no doubt a personal thing.)

A few others to ponder over...(got more in the house will post them up tonight)

Projectname (Denominations)
Chain (Links, linx, lynx?) [Although it sounds neat, I'm not sure it adds up)

I assume the meaning you want to capture with Chain and Link, is that the record of the history is securely interlocked. Some other ideas are Woven, Twill. I think it doesn't add up because we want to say something unique about a block chain that Bitcoin doesn't do. I had thought of Weave for an anonymous coin, but that isn't the primary focus of my work. Besides I don't think we say 'anonymous' when we say 'cash'; rather we assume it is.

Above I was thinking about "chain" as it relates to the technicalities of a block chain, and not as its apt meaning for describing a social networking phenomenon, i.e. that the participants are chaining together for some synergy, e.g.:

If you continue to engage him in an argument, in thirty years you'll have a very productive comment chain and nothing to show for it.

As for a name incorporating "chain", the users would need to somehow relate to this name as being relevant to the activity they desire. So basically there will be some service or good the user wants to participate in and they need this "thing" to get access (or this "thing" is alternative means of access, e.g. instead of filling up an advertising captcha, etc). Thus ClickChain seems to capture the original intent I had with Clickz and is much more explicit about the social networking synergy.

So instead of naming the currency units, you name the social network phenomenon. So you want access to some service that requires micro-transactions (or puts an advertising captcha or video in your face instead) or you want to earn micro-transactions, then you need to "join the clickchain" or "get some netcodes". I am not sure which name is better. The currency denomination is 'netcodes' if we use netcodes. If we use clickchain, we'd also need a name for the currency units such as 'netcodes' (or "click codes"), "chain credits", 'clicodes', 'cliqodes', 'klicodes', 'qliqode'.

ZapChain conveys fast and perhaps some social networking chain, but fast is not the attribute of desire or need in social networking. And the 'chain' dangles there without any support, thus it isn't clear this name means a social networking chaining. Whereas, Clichain (ClickChain) is more clearly some synergistic internet chain (since 'click' has dual meanings of the action of pressing of button and synergizing socially.

I can't fathom how users will relate to ZapChain as the name of a currency. It could be a platform where users are zapping BTC for those sites which say they support ZapChain functionality, but then eventually no one needs ZapChain and they will just say "zap me some Bitcoin" (and who cares what the competing technology that is being used to accomplish it). Sounds to me that ZapChain is some attempt to brand the upcoming Lightning Networks (LN). I think Coinbase hopes to become a LN server. Appears the people who chose the name were thinking the "chain" refers to the chain of transactions that form a LN conduit between payer and payee, and the "zap" of course refers to speed. They weren't focused on the social context of the name apparently.

The necessary opcode for LN has been added to the next release of Bitcoin for early 2016:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/checklocktimeverify-or-how-a-time-lock-patch-will-boost-bitcoin-s-potential-1446658530

Appears ZapChain will offer some social networking communities and then I suppose facilitate micro-transactions denominated in BTC by using some centralized server that holds balances (or later perhaps the LN concept). The problem for their concept is similar to Voxelus, in that they are just one social networking app. They can't be an ecosystem by themselves, unless they are creating a protocol, API, and platform for other apps. So I must assume they are really hoping to become a platform business built around LN.

I foresee a disadvantage for LN because you can't just pay anyone, any time with permission-less commerce. Lightning Networks (LN) requires that participants open LN conduits on the same sub-network. Also afaics LN can't support end-to-end anonymity. LN is a corporate takeover model for Bitcoin, and so the question is will LN scale network effects as fast as a fully decentralized alternative. I am betting on "no" and thus I am proceeding with creating the fully decentralized alternative. Also I am contemplating supporting a LN technology as well, as it may have applications where it is ideally suited (but I don't think this social networking micro-TX network effects is the best suited to LN as compared to my decentralized micro-TX block chain design).

Im pretty sure Second Life Lindens and Cryptopias PED's are still in full function.

Not for much longer. Voxelus won't be the only VR app. Fungibility is important. And there is an economy-of-scale with one ecosystem in terms of building all the performance, scaling, anonymity and other features needed in a real-time, virtual currency.
Lindens aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The only people left playing Second Life are those that treat the game as their actual life.

I mean as a shrinking (relatively speaking) market towards irrelevance. Expansion of virtual currency markets will radically accelerate with network effects due to an eco-system and more degrees-of-freedom with fungibility. In other words, Lindens are beyond their half-life peak. Voxels will probably have a half-life of about 6 to 18 months.

Voxelus should be trying to make their technologies into APIs and create an ecosystem. And stay away from making a virtual currency since that isn't their area of focused expertise. Some of us have been working on crypto-currency for 3 years. They could partner with a virtual currency or better yet interopt with all virtual currencies and build an exchange into an APIs for developers.

TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 04:10:49 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2015, 04:43:01 AM by TPTB_need_war

I haven't studied this. Is Ethereum going the Dash masternode or Bitshares DPoS route of the rich get richer and usership disappears?

[comparing PoS designs]

PoS can't redistribute from HODLers to users. Users drive the economy. HODLers strangle it.

However, PoW in its current incarnations can't redistribute either, due to economies-of-scale in mining such as ASICs and cheap electricity.

Proof-of-share can't distribute shares of the money supply to those who do not already have some of the money supply. Proof-of-share is thus not a debasement power-law flattening (recycling) distribution compatible scheme, although neither is proof-of-work once it is dominated by ASICs. Without recycling of the power-law distribution, velocity-of-money suffers unless debt-driven booms are employed and then government becomes a political expediency to "redistribute from the rich to the poor" (which is then gamed by the rich and periodic class/world warfare). Proof-of-share suffers from conflating coin ownership with mining, thus if not all coin owners are equally incentivized to participate in mining, then the rich control the mining. A coin owner with a holding that is only worth less than his toenail, isn't going to bother with using his share to mine. Thus proof-of-share is very incompatible with the direction towards micro-transactions and micro-shares. Any attempt to correct this by weighting smaller shares more, can then be gamed by the rich who can split their shares into micro-shares. Ideally debasement should be distributed to an asset that users control but the rich can't profitably obtain.

Good point. Yeah we don't want 'cash' in the name of the juice that can drive the web. It should be something users generate for free from mining and web activity and don't even know it.

Hey! He's an artist.

What is hilarious is that so many people don't realize I am taking on Google and advertising as a model for the web. Do these dolts think users want these fucking ads on their Youtubes.

I am quite ecstatic that no one seems to grasp the "killer app" which is right under their nose and I have even explained it yesterday, but still I assume readers don't have a clue. Which is perfect. I am smirking from ear-to-ear that there are so many marketing dunces on this forum who think netcodes is a poor name. When they get their ass handed to them in the marketplace, it is going to be so sweet the taste of seeing them realize they've been PWN3D.

iamnicholas

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 09:21:34 AM

..hi all..
..just a random thought, when considering infinite scale ability + fun..
.."lemmings"..
..you remember......
..for those that don't, you're not a true nerd..fuck off..Tongue..
nxo
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 05:27:43 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2015, 06:14:29 PM by cryptohunter

netcodes - i think the best so far
netcash

------ maybe useful or maybe not ------

netclix  - maybe too similar to neflix
netclicks

litechain
lightchain
litecash
litecode
litelinx
light "

sprintchain
sprintcodes
sprintcash
sprintlinx

webcodes
webchains
webcash

funbits
easybits
funcodes
litebits
fastbits

I would personaly still go with Netcode

netnuggets
netdosh
netdollars
netmunnie
netmoney
netswag
neteggs
netchains
netriches
netloot

digiclix
digi - "

digidosh
digidollars

etc

webcash
webcoin - "
webwages

smart "
smartcodes
smartcash
smartchains
smartclix

THX 1138

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:47:48 PM

My earlier post regarding www.zapchain.com The concept of tipping contributors with "Bits"...

...As for a name incorporating "chain", the users would need to somehow relate to this name as being relevant to the activity they desire. So basically there will be some service or good the user wants to participate in and they need this "thing" to get access (or this "thing" is alternative means of access, e.g. instead of filling up an advertising captcha, etc). Thus ClickChain seems to capture the original intent I had with Clickz and is much more explicit about the social networking synergy.

Yes, I get your point on that. I would have thought "chain" would have meaning to bitcoin aficionados, but perhaps not to a wider audience. Whereas Click/Clic/Clicks etc is more likely to, sure.

So instead of naming the currenct units, you name the social network phenomenon. So you want access to some service that requires micro-transactions (or puts an advertising captcha or video in your face instead) or you want to earn micro-transactions, then you need to "join the clickchain" or "get some netcodes". I am not sure which name is better. The currency denomination is 'netcodes' if we use netcodes. If we use clickchain, we'd also need a name for the currency units such as 'netcodes' (or "click codes"), "chain credits", 'clicodes', 'cliqodes', 'klicodes', 'qliqode'.

Netcodes seems more natural to say IMO.

ZapChain conveys fast and perhaps some social networking chain, but fast is not the attribute of desire or need in social networking. And the 'chain' dangles there without any support, thus it isn't clear this name means a social networking chaining. Whereas, Clichain (ClickChain) is more clearly some synergistic internet chain (since 'click' has dual meanings of the action of pressing of button and synergizing socially.

I can't fathom how users will relate to ZapChain as the name of a currency. It could be a platform where users are zapping BTC for those sites which say they support ZapChain functionality, but then eventually no one needs ZapChain and they will just say "zap me some Bitcoin" (and who cares what the competing technology that is being used to accomplish it). Sounds to me that ZapChain is some attempt to brand the upcoming Lightning Networks (LN). I think Coinbase hopes to become a LN server. Appears the people who chose the name were thinking the "chain" refers to the chain of transactions that form a LN conduit between payer and payee, and the "zap" of course refers to speed. They weren't focused on the social context of the name apparently.

From the above, it seems Zapchain perhaps isn't the best name they could have chosen, unless those who chose it felt it had a natural appeal and catchiness that would be memorable, irrespective of ultimate description of its purpose. Which is kind of the point I was struggling to make.

...Appears ZapChain will offer some social networking communities and then I suppose facilitate micro-transactions denominated in BTC by using some centralized server that holds balances (or later perhaps the LN concept). The problem for their concept is similar to Voxelus, in that they are just one social networking app. They can't be an ecosystem by themselves, unless they are creating a protocol, API, and platform for other apps. So I must assume they are really hoping to become a platform business built around LN.

I see. I joined and quickly contributed a few things, but wasn't particularly impressed. I'm not convinced contributors will be enthusiastic to reward each other with "bits" (and I wasn't able to discover how many Satoshis these were worth) for interesting questions and articles.

From a previous list, Mobi is the one that is impressing me at the moment, though seems to be taken. So instead I'll use it as an example that while it doesn't satisfy all desired criteria, aesthetically (both visually, and how it trips of the tongue) I find it very appealing. I think it has both a friendly quality for a social network and would be convincing in a business setting and for currency (just my opinion). If there is potential in a name that doesn't have to be some kind product relevant portmanteau or stand-alone (I recall when I first heard about Bitcoin, it was the concept that attracted me, not the name; though certainly a great hook can draw in interest to a new product even though it isn't related to its purpose) based on net, codes, bloc, sync etc, then this stands out for me. Anyone else for this approach?

Otherwise, if you did go Mobi it could still be combined like so: MobiCodes, MobiNet, MobiSync...  Though can understand if this suggests "mobile" too heavily. But really my point is that I like the word more than any implied function.

I'm still liking these:

clickchain
netcodes (www.netcodes.co.uk/ is - as you are probably aware - already a website for discount codes and vouchers; which is what the name conjured up for me when I first saw it.....but it still retains an appeal all the same)
Sync
SyncNet

As regarding anything with " cash* " in it, recently you said:

...we don't want 'cash' in the name of the juice that can drive the web. It should be something users generate for free from mining and web activity and don't even know it....

I'd tend to agree with that to an extent, but still feel there is a reaching out to new users with what is already familiar. If so, then clic.cash works well (MobiCash?)
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:54:57 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2015, 11:57:15 PM by rdnkjdi

I wonder if it would work to abstract to a word for energy?  Currency is really just a form of represented energy (like numerals to numbers or whatever) - cryptocurrency is possibly more directly linked to electrical energy / social energy / intellectual energy than fiat.  (Probably coming from a silly vid I watched on buttcoin)

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/energies

peps
verves
zings
zips
vitals

I think "chain" is linked to how it works (geekspeak) - but has nothing to do with what it accomplishes.   Might sound impossible but to me a perfect name doesn't include fiat & doesn't include geekspeak.

There's some precedent to naming one form of energy partially after a previous form.  electrical power / current
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:25:40 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2015, 12:45:17 AM by TPTB_need_war

Clickchain (Clichain) doesn't just associate with a block chain. Rather it can convey to users that they are chaining their participation together to a create unified bond or result. My point is that 'chain' is a social term, if branded as such. Especially with 'click' prepend to 'chain'. Zapchain is a catchy name that can mean a fast social chain.

Nevertheless, I think 'chain' is a needless distraction from the main point I want to hit which is these 'netcodes' are for users to expend throughout the cyberspace to avail of features, goods, and services. Whereas 'chain' requires building some sort of sub-space on the internet that users think of holistically as attractive (which requires it have large scale before it can scale, i.e. a chicken-and-egg dilemma), 'netcodes' only requires that an individual user desire (even just) one individual service, good, or feature that accepts netcodes. Thus 'netcodes' is high degrees-of-freedom, high network effects paradigm because any PRE-EXISTING service, good, or feature can accept netcodes and any user can decide to avail of netcodes to avail of the desired service, good, or feature. Whereas, 'chain' requires creating a sub-space (chain) on the internet that users want to join.

I am nearly certain to proceed with netcodes (plural) as the name.

I agree users don't want to go acquire some BTC so they can tip other users to make better answers on Q&A sites. Duh.

The key to everything is not technology but marketing. The key is to get the coin in as many users hands as possible. If you do this, then the merchants will break down your door to get access to spending users. Why? Because for one thing there are a lot of business models that could be improved if users were verified to be humans and contributed a small micro-payments instead of having to fill out a Captcha or watch a video ad. And there are entire business models that can't even function within the current choices of:

• Advertising funded
  • Advertising Captcha funded
  • Credit card payment

Btw, I think I will have a surprise for everyone soon (as in this month). Please keep those negative votes coming.  Wink

I am still waiting for even one of those who voted "dislike you or your style" to make a post (or private message) promising never to acquire or buy anything I create. Come on fools, man up and put your reputation on the line same as mine is, i.e. put your mouth where your foot is. Are you not sure of your convictions.  Roll Eyes

P.S. health was not so horrendous yesterday and today seems back to full facilities, at least so far this morning.

funbits

This is also good. Doesn't imply access code though. Seems to imply this currency should only be used for fun activities and not serious ones. This might turn off some merchants. I prefer to stick with the serious name 'netcodes'.

I expended $54.58 to register the following just in case:

funbits.biz
funbits.cash
funbits.co
funbits.me
funbits.org
funbits.us

Remember this. Being a marketer is much more valuable than being a programmer. It really helps when you can do both very well, because then you can take marketing concept to fruition quickly. I am here to teach this lesson here in cryptoland, because apparently many geeks here don't seem to understand this and they measure everything in terms of Lines of Code.

Hey I love to code. Don't get me wrong. But I also love more a marketing coup.

It will soon be apparent why I was willing to spend $$ to buy up the best name alternatives for this concept. This was to protect against copycats that will sprout up very quickly after they see what I am up to:

PoS can't redistribute from HODLers to users. Users drive the economy. HODLers strangle it.

However, PoW in its current incarnations can't redistribute either, due to economies-of-scale in mining such as ASICs and cheap electricity.

Not sure what you said but i think i agree.
Bottom line is a better solution for distribution is needed i think.
Especially at the start.

IPO's are scammy bs.
But mining is heavily exploited unfairly too.

THIS is the area where the majority of experimentation and research should be conducted.

Tacking a market or anon feature onto a poorly designed and launched coin is not time well spent.

f2000

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 09:51:47 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2015, 12:17:42 PM by f2000

There is more to your project that I originally thought.

Quote from: TPTB_need_war on November 07, 2015, 10:00:42 AM
...we don't want 'cash' in the name of the juice that can drive the web. It should be something users generate for free from mining and web activity and don't even know it....

That got me thinking, I know you’re not overly keen on the artyfarty Ethereum type names but there was one I thought expresses that

Fabric    (the essential structure of anything, especially a society or culture.)
("the fabric of society"…could you change that to “the fabric of the internet”)

So you could then break that down to fibre’s and/or threads for the social part. For example:

“Can you send me some threads”
“No, sorry, I’ve only got a few fibres left”

Other left field names:
Net:aurum* (awe-rum)(The Latin word for gold)(store-of-value)
Net:aes (ace) (Latin for bronze, ore, copper, etc)(social currency)
Ethos
Bolt (perhaps prefixing other words in your thread)

*Net:aurum looks and sounds great, but its moving away from being instantly understandable.

Predictably, I also thought mobits was good…but totally understand you wanting to move away from bits. I could be way off here but if Bitcoin is really here to stay then I think bits will become something like the term email (just for talking sake). Might be weird for some now but eventually it would be common place to describe a few units of any cryptocurrency. Instead of having to remember term for each, people will use the easiest/quickest description (hope that makes sense). However, THX 1138 is right about the mo/mobile part, mobisync, mobicodes etc just doesn’t sound good.

Moola was also a very good choice, IMO its more attractive as a brand than most other names in this thread.

Other thoughts:
I dont know if its my inner ocd, but I think it should all fit together (for example)

NetCode/Project
NetGold/Store of Value
NetBits**/Social Currency (ie, bits of gold?)

Not overly keen when you do if this way
NetCode/Project
NetGold/Store of Value
NetCodes or Codes** /Social Currency (reusing one of the names or dropping the prefix net doesn't sound right, but again that could just be me)
**Dots and dashes...could the satoshi unit be replaced by one of those?

Finally, I dont mean to be that guy but feel I should at least voice my concern. Some of the word choices aren't great (imo of course). Zap, fun and cool spring to mind. I would stay away from those personally as I've said before...when you tell kids something cool and fun...they usually think the opposite.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: