Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:41:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin?  (Read 83053 times)
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 12:36:51 AM

Looks like the halving is making its impact positive along the new bitcoin value, im very curious which will be the new value of bitcoin at 2020 when the other halving should occur at bitcoin. I do see the halving as something good, since it makes the price to double over time, recently it were every 4 years, soo its a 25% interest being achieved all year, no other investment can bring such potencial income.
Im sure that Bitcoin is have more demand in that year as result it can affect Bitcoin price.Bitcoin price is now booming is the affect of halving or not? Who knows.

Maybe halving has something to do with this rapid price increase and I always looking at halving as a very good way of making the price of bitcoin reach higher amount as it is making the supply lesser. But whatever will be the effect of halving, there is just one thing that I will going to say, I will going to keep on using bitcoin.

I don't really think the recent price increase that lead to us finally reaching the $1000 level again has much to do with the halving. It has more to do with increased demand coming from Chinese investors and other wealthy individuals. Bitcoin is gaining popularity as store of wealth tool alongside gold. Bitcoin is much easier and safer to store as well. With Gold you're required to have a save where you store all your physical gold. Some people even store their gold in bank vaults....

That's why I'm also doubtful because of it. But since halving has past already maybe it should really have something to do because if there is none we will stay the floor price of bitcoin before halving happened. It limits the supply so basically when the supply is lesser, the demand is becoming higher and that's the reason of price increase.
millgates

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 02:23:28 AM

offff couurse its good. if it is not, bitcoin would be worthless. who will give money for endless source?
Okay I get your point. Halving makes differrence of bitcoin and paper money. Although minner profit is decrease but the reall is the value is increase. So no disadvantage of halving.
nanay777

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 03:37:25 AM

It's an inherent part of the protocol. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it.
When Satoshi Nakamoto was in the design of the bitcoin system, in order to control the overall issue of bitcoin, set the production of half of bitcoin, which is a mandatory requirement, we should not think about.
goldcoinminer

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 04:34:09 AM

It's an inherent part of the protocol. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it.
When Satoshi Nakamoto was in the design of the bitcoin system, in order to control the overall issue of bitcoin, set the production of half of bitcoin, which is a mandatory requirement, we should not think about.
It's part of the overall system of bitcoin and it's already built in, if we love bitcoin we must love it's totality. Halving just happen this year and see what happens, the price increase, so probably it's good for bitcoin.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2017, 09:07:51 AM

in another universe you could have bought 1 million bitcoins for a pizza while unicorns are flying through the sky...

you see that alternate reality?

i'm really asking myself too why we are discussing this LoL

We? No one forced you to join this discussion in the first place

To tell the truth, I knew it beforehand that you would stick like glue to that phrase about alternative reality. I also noted that you can't cope well with the subjunctive mood (used to explore imaginary or hypothetical situations, just in case), which I used quite a lot in this discussion, so it is no surprise that you can't analyze different possibilities and their long-term consequences. That seems to be the reason why you started to claim that the price today would have been the same as in November, 2012, if all bitcoins had been mined back then

What consequences when your speculation has no meaning and is based on unicorns?

It is based on assumptions and explores a hypothetical situation (what if) in respect to what price Bitcoin would have had now if all bitcoins had been mined by previous halvings, i.e. in November, 2012, and July, 2016. If you consider this analysis as pure speculation and the methodology used as based on unicorns, you should first explain why you yourself used the same technique. But don't tell me that it was only to show the erroneousness of this approach since the approach is perfectly robust for the assumptions accepted (i.e. all bitcoins had been mined)...

Basically, you you trying to make the best of a bad bargain as well as make it look as if you were right after all

You still dont realize if we take your method to extrapolate on the 12. november 2012 we would get a price of 6$ which is the exact same thing you did to get your 720$ which is wrong because we know how the price developed.
And that is exactly what i wanted to show and wrote.

Yeah, if we just decided to estimate the price in November, 2012, with all bitcoins having been mined by then, we would get the price of 6$, but you in fact claimed that we would have had the same price of 6$ if we extrapolated it to today. This what you wrote exactly, and no back pedaling this will change that:

So take nov. 2012 price. Extrapolate to today 12$x10/21 <= 6$

If we correctly extrapolate this price to today taking into account all the demand that has built up since then (which is represented by today's price), we will get my values (i.e. over $700 when the price was ~$950 per coin). This is precisely what you are desperately trying to distract the attention from

Dux2K
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Blocklancer - Freelance on the Blockchain

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 09:39:46 AM

offff couurse its good. if it is not, bitcoin would be worthless. who will give money for endless source?
Okay I get your point. Halving makes differrence of bitcoin and paper money. Although minner profit is decrease but the reall is the value is increase. So no disadvantage of halving.

It something like that but we now experience the effect if halving and still we are in that late halving like last time few months latter

Coinroll - Bitcoin Gambling

[fX665GSjkGyrckCzk]
lOvE mE forEvEr

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 06:11:26 PM

I think it's good, halving makes prices rise, in addition to limiting the stock. But unfortunately only happened 4 years halving once, if this happens each year to achieve a price of $10.000 could be faster. So make us rich.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 09:53:52 PM

in another universe you could have bought 1 million bitcoins for a pizza while unicorns are flying through the sky...

you see that alternate reality?

i'm really asking myself too why we are discussing this LoL

We? No one forced you to join this discussion in the first place

To tell the truth, I knew it beforehand that you would stick like glue to that phrase about alternative reality. I also noted that you can't cope well with the subjunctive mood (used to explore imaginary or hypothetical situations, just in case), which I used quite a lot in this discussion, so it is no surprise that you can't analyze different possibilities and their long-term consequences. That seems to be the reason why you started to claim that the price today would have been the same as in November, 2012, if all bitcoins had been mined back then

What consequences when your speculation has no meaning and is based on unicorns?

It is based on assumptions and explores a hypothetical situation (what if) in respect to what price Bitcoin would have had now if all bitcoins had been mined by previous halvings, i.e. in November, 2012, and July, 2016. If you consider this analysis as pure speculation and the methodology used as based on unicorns, you should first explain why you yourself used the same technique. But don't tell me that it was only to show the erroneousness of this approach since the approach is perfectly robust for the assumptions accepted (i.e. all bitcoins had been mined)...

Basically, you you trying to make the best of a bad bargain as well as make it look as if you were right after all

You still dont realize if we take your method to extrapolate on the 12. november 2012 we would get a price of 6$ which is the exact same thing you did to get your 720$ which is wrong because we know how the price developed.

Yeah, if we just decided to estimate the price in November, 2012, with all bitcoins having been mined by then, we would get the price of 6$, but you in fact claimed that we would have had the same price of 6$ if we extrapolated it to today. This what you wrote exactly, and no back pedaling this will change that:

If we correctly extrapolate this price to today taking into account all the demand that has built up since then (which is represented by today's price), we will get my values (i.e. over $700 when the price was ~$950 per coin). This is precisely what you are desperately trying to distract the attention from

duh, well of course because you did the same with your 720$ aka 3/4 of the current price. you disregarded the demand for the future 5 million coins too.
additionaly where the fuck are you right? we have more coins from day to day and the price is now at 1150$... 200$ more then 5 days ago.

my counter example is that you only need to use your method on a random date in the past to get a totaly wrong result (i.e. nov 2012 6$) - and you wont be able to talk yourself out of that.

like i said i missunderstood you on a minor part which was the reason for the "several orders of magnitude" because you were talking too much around the bush but that doesnt change on how the results are fundamentally wrong.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
pealr12

Activity: 1946
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 10:24:28 PM

The halving that occur last year is slowly making bitcoin  price  gets higher and higher this must be  effect of halving to bitcoin. Not an instant price going up but in a slowly and surely making its way to the new ath.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2017, 08:40:33 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2017, 08:50:34 AM by deisik

duh, well of course because you did the same with your 720$ aka 3/4 of the current price. you disregarded the demand for the future 5 million coins too.
additionaly where the fuck are you right? we have more coins from day to day and the price is now at 1150$... 200$ more then 5 days ago.

Why are you repeating the same stuff all over again, which I have already addressed?

We can estimate the effects of mining all coins only regarding the data we already know. If we analyze that in November, 2012, we will evidently get the price for that date, and you can't possibly claim that the same price will last till today (as you did) or forever. Note that I never claimed that the price I obtained for December, 2016 will be the same from then on or on whatever date in the future, so your references that today, in January, 2017, the price has already changed, are inconsequential and irrelevant. Please show me where I said or implied that or don't come again with it. And this is the exact opposite of what you did by extrapolating the estimated price in November, 2012 to today. In short, don't ascribe to me what I didn't do. I don't extrapolate into the yet unknown future, get it?

my counter example is that you only need to use your method on a random date in the past to get a totaly wrong result (i.e. nov 2012 6$) - and you wont be able to talk yourself out of that

It is fully applicable to current prices. You can easily evaluate what the price would have been today (read slowly again, to-day, i.e. this day) if all bitcoins have been mined by now

agamasrori

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:06:51 AM

The halving that occur last year is slowly making bitcoin  price  gets higher and higher this must be  effect of halving to bitcoin. Not an instant price going up but in a slowly and surely making its way to the new ath.
Yes you are right, the bitcoin price will keep rising although it is just slowly. Also halving is preventing bitcoin from inflation. So I think halving is good for bitcoin.

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
Oralmat

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:30:41 AM

No, Bitcoin still have worth, even Halving is here or not. It doesn't matter. But it is good for bitcoin wise, I also believe, more even would be happened in bitcoin, like halving. Because it is a way to promoting the bitcoin, and create the attraction about the bitcoin. But you should also see, that Halving is coming after 5 years, but people are not crazy about it, it doesn't mean that they dislike it, off course they like it, But i am totally disagree with your points. 
streazight

Activity: 910
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:02:26 PM

For miners, the halving has a huge impact, the addition of bitcoins comes at the expenses of CPU time and electricity, miners mine bitcoin with hardware that is constantly running to discover the next block using a certain amountof time and electricity, and changing that will change their profit.
Woodie

Activity: 1848
Merit: 879

Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2017, 01:47:33 PM

I think the current raise in bitcoin can be attributed by block halving and other factors of course  and I guess we are just seeing the benefits of it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
mastica

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 08:15:51 PM

I think the current raise in bitcoin can be attributed by block halving and other factors of course  and I guess we are just seeing the benefits of it.

No way, the next halving will occur at 2020, its far away to be from those event, at June we had the halving already and price went from 400 to 600 dollars, if were those you were refering. The halving is good for bitcoin as it make it get more value over time, if we remove the halving we will have a coin of pump and dump and just that.
Kwiksave

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:42:39 PM

No way, the next halving will occur at 2020, its far away to be from those event, at June we had the halving already and price went from 400 to 600 dollars, if were those you were refering. The halving is good for bitcoin as it make it get more value over time, if we remove the halving we will have a coin of pump and dump and just that.

That is right. After next halving, the effect of halving will be less.
Pettuh4

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 25, 2017, 06:21:48 PM

The halvings gives Bitcoin value and makes it lucrative for more  investors so I think it should be maintained for us to keep profiting from our investment. If we don't half and we keep more BTC with less value what's the point rather than have less with more value.
blackhawkeye1912

Activity: 784

View Profile
February 25, 2017, 09:44:52 PM

As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

I cannot see that halving will give bad effect into bitcoin, In fact, even the supply will decrease the value will increase. Though those bitcoin enthusiast who direct mined bitcoin will get affected on this, still the there are part of the bitcoin community that will be in favor and will get benefit unto it.
delliaerd

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 02:41:19 AM

I agree I think halving makes the the price of bitcoin more stable because halving is prevent bitcoin from inflation that can make the price of it down.  Although it is not the only one factors  that influence the price of bitcoin, but halving makes the price of bitcoin rise so significantly in certain time. It is also attracts investors, isn't it?

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2017, 08:35:23 AM

I agree I think halving makes the the price of bitcoin more stable because halving is prevent bitcoin from inflation that can make the price of it down.  Although it is not the only one factors  that influence the price of bitcoin, but halving makes the price of bitcoin rise so significantly in certain time. It is also attracts investors, isn't it?

As to me, halving shouldn't be affecting Bitcoin volatility much (or stability which is the reverse of volatility)

Basically, volatility is the abrupt price movements in both directions, while reward halving is just lowering the supply of coins to the market. it is essentially a one-off event (and which happens once every 4 years only). It contributes to the price growth, there is no doubt about it but it can hardly contribute to either pice stability or price volatility on its own. Indeed, it can be claimed that miners might be accumulating bitcoins and then pouring them into the market and that will add to volatility (and, consequently, subtract from stability), but, on the other hand, this is the same what many traders do anyway

Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: