Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:42:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 67 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum mining still profitable?  (Read 131200 times)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 01:03:41 AM

When will Ethereium stop being possible to mine with 3GB GPUs ?

Around end of this year. But PoW phase of mining will finish before then. It will change to PoS before then.

I heard it was like in 45 days.

Where do you hear about it? PoW will last for around 10 months, then it will be replaced by PoS.

Ethereum forum, they made a calculation and said most GPUs won't be able to mine Ethereum due to DAG limit. Only 4GB and higher will work.
kotarius

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 01:43:35 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2016, 02:06:33 AM by kotarius

Ethereum forum, they made a calculation and said most GPUs won't be able to mine Ethereum due to DAG limit. Only 4GB and higher will work.

Do you have a source for this calculation? Someone is making a mistake here. The DAG will be 2.24gb in exactly one year. Not over 3gb in 45 days.

Please also see https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Ethash-Design-Rationale

QUOTE FROM SITE:
The ~0.73x per year growth level was chosen to roughly be balanced with Moore's law increases at least initially (exponential growth has a risk of overshooting Moore's law, leading to a situation where mining requires very large amounts of memory and ordinary GPUs are no longer usable for mining).

Furthermore, mining phase will finish in serenity, which is a year away.
zepaulim

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 05:39:41 AM

Do you have a source for this calculation? Someone is making a mistake here. The DAG will be 2.24gb in exactly one year. Not over 3gb in 45 days.

QUOTE FROM SITE:
The ~0.73x per year growth level was chosen to roughly be balanced with Moore's law increases at least initially (exponential growth has a risk of overshooting Moore's law, leading to a situation where mining requires very large amounts of memory and ordinary GPUs are no longer usable for mining).

That makes the window to make a profit very narrow.  Cheesy Should start assembling my mining rig right now.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~1440 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
bitcoinpete

Activity: 325

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 06:00:39 AM

Profitabilit is imposible to calculate if you look at this as a long term investment, if half the things that could ocurre with ethereum do there is no better coin to mine at the moment.

MIDEX ● BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM
▬ with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers
# WEBANN + BountyTelegramFacebookTwitterBlog # GET TOKENS #
Patusinmod

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 09:42:31 AM

QUOTE FROM SITE:

That makes the window to make a profit very narrow.  Cheesy Should start assembling my mining rig right now.

You can also ROI with old 280x cards. They are cheap and powerful. For the new Fury cards, you will not ROI.
Eliovp
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 11:01:42 AM

You can also ROI with old 280x cards. They are cheap and powerful. For the new Fury cards, you will not ROI.

You can foresee the future i guess?

Tell me where to get me one of those magic bowls. Smiley

BruceLee007

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 12:21:23 PM

Yes is still profitable to mine ethereum,but need good hardware ,
but Intel and Nividea creating new products maybe it will help in the future.
ThunderThomas

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 05:34:59 PM

I tried mining ETH but it's quit hard to set up.
Even on a node and on my PC. With the current increase i do believe it's profitable, but question is how long willt his price stay 'high'

zepaulim

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 06:55:56 PM

Even on a node and on my PC. With the current increase i do believe it's profitable, but question is how long willt his price stay 'high'

Indeed its hard to setup ETH mining. There are many steps involved and that can be kind of overwhelming to newcomers. But if you really put some effort into it, i am sure you can do it. Just read good tutorials and seek help here if needed.

Yeah we really cant predict the future but there are many signs that shows increased market awareness about ETH. One of the biggest examples is Genesis Mining offering ETH mining plans now. Another one would be the spike in transaction volume across many important exchanges. This is mostly caused by chinese mining farms entering the party. And like i said before, the window to make a profit is getting narrower everyday.

We all know ETH is turning to POS in one year. I think this fact can lead/is leading to an "ETH rush" that has the potential to make the price go higher this year.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~1440 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
Zivdafast

Activity: 57

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 09:26:27 AM

Yeah we really cant predict the future but there are many signs that shows increased market awareness about ETH. One of the biggest examples is Genesis Mining offering ETH mining plans now. Another one would be the spike in transaction volume across many important exchanges. This is mostly caused by chinese mining farms entering the party. And like i said before, the window to make a profit is getting narrower everyday.

We all know ETH is turning to POS in one year. I think this fact can lead/is leading to an "ETH rush" that has the potential to make the price go higher this year.

The genesis mining service is too expensive. It offer 12 month mining plan. But Ethereum will be mineable for only 10 months. It will change to PoS then.
bluebox

Activity: 150

caeruleum arca archa

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 11:48:35 PM

Ethereum forum: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/4394/extending-mining-through-the-use-of-sli-for-large-dag-files#latest

2GB DAG mid-2017, take it from someone who should know and did the calcs (dlehenky)

If I only had one ETH for every "miner" sitting on the sidelines waiting for PoS to arrive....  Grin

"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get..." - Lewis Carroll
mickiya

Activity: 195
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:22:49 AM

Ethereum forum: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/4394/extending-mining-through-the-use-of-sli-for-large-dag-files#latest

2GB DAG mid-2017, take it from someone who should know and did the calcs (dlehenky)

If I only had one ETH for every "miner" sitting on the sidelines waiting for PoS to arrive....  Grin

The DAG will be 3GB by the end of this year. But the mining will be not possible before then. It will be PoS.
Juliamit

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:38:02 AM

The DAG will be 3GB by the end of this year. But the mining will be not possible before then. It will be PoS.

The DAG size increase 200MB every 6 months. So the 280X should be enough to mine for another 12 months at least. But PoS will come before then.
Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 02:15:38 PM

I hope PoS comes after 48 months. This will give miners more time to mine and distribute the coins evenly.
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 04:54:41 PM

Indeed its hard to setup ETH mining. There are many steps involved and that can be kind of overwhelming to newcomers. But if you really put some effort into it, i am sure you can do it. Just read good tutorials and seek help here if needed.

I found this pool with a great guide and it helped me to get going much faster.  https://eth.suprnova.cc/index.php?page=gettingstarted
Then instead of downloading the client you can use this alternative..  https://kvhnuke.github.io/etherwallet/

Best Regards
d57heinz

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
bluebox

Activity: 150

caeruleum arca archa

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:35:56 PM

I found this pool with a great guide and it helped me to get going much faster.  https://eth.suprnova.cc/index.php?page=gettingstarted
Then instead of downloading the client you can use this alternative..  https://kvhnuke.github.io/etherwallet/

Best Regards
d57heinz
I tried suprnova, and though it's a neat pool with 0% fees (except there's a 1% transfer fee, so same thing), my production wasn't what it was on coinotron. Went back to coinotron and set up the stratum mining proxy this time, now getting roughly 6-7% higher payout on average — more than covers the 1% pplns pool fee.
To each their own!

"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get..." - Lewis Carroll
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 12:22:27 AM

Best Regards
d57heinz
I tried suprnova, and though it's a neat pool with 0% fees (except there's a 1% transfer fee, so same thing), my production wasn't what it was on coinotron. Went back to coinotron and set up the stratum mining proxy this time, now getting roughly 6-7% higher payout on average — more than covers the 1% pplns pool fee.
To each their own!

ill check it out.  and see for myself:)  thanks for that..

Best Regards
d57heinz

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
Zaducis

Activity: 441

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:33:21 PM

Has anybody tried Ethpool.org? Do you think their stratum mining is about 10-20% higher than the getwork based mining?

IanFoxley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:25:00 PM

The genesis mining service is too expensive. It offer 12 month mining plan. But Ethereum will be mineable for only 10 months. It will change to PoS then.

If you read the contract they do say that at some point in the future when ETH turns to POS they will convert your ETH contract to X11 at a ratio of 1 MHS Eth to 1MH/s X11 until your contract ends. I am still so amazed that nobody reads a TOS when you purchase a cloud mining contract.

I have been mining at home with just one R9 280 X, get around 24 MH/s with it. I did Ethpool for a lttile while, took about 6 days at the time to get rewarded with a block but since then I just solo mined in and then in a week I got two blocks which i thought was ok, but since then nothing but thats the luck of mining I guess

sanadas

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 03:29:22 PM

I have been mining at home with just one R9 280 X, get around 24 MH/s with it. I did Ethpool for a lttile while, took about 6 days at the time to get rewarded with a block but since then I just solo mined in and then in a week I got two blocks which i thought was ok, but since then nothing but thats the luck of mining I guess

When the difficulty rises fast, it is better to do pool mining. When the difficulty is stable, it is better to do solo mining.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 67 »
  Print  

Jump to: