Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:34:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bad news for bASIC - not shipping til mid Jan at best  (Read 25459 times)
SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:45:57 AM

about their orders and their information being in the hands of a company which isn't based in the US.

Welcome to the club the rest of the world is not to thrilled with their data being co-opted into US hands.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Clearfly

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:29:55 AM

Asian benefactors lol, is anyone else thinking Avalon bought him out?
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:32:04 AM

Asian benefactors lol, is anyone else thinking Avalon bought him out?

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:45:46 AM

I'm thinking ASICMINER.

Sure, they have their own chips, but it will take over 200 of their chips to make a 72Gh/s device, but only 16 bASIC chips.

Plus if they haven't pulled the trigger on a full wafer maskset yet for high volume production of their own 130nm design, they could just save all that cost and instead buy the half finished 90nm bASIC chips, assuming they trust them to work.

Tom mentioned much earlier reaching an agreement to supply chips to a competitor.  I think these are the same ppl who are now acquiring bASIC.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 05:50:13 AM

I would be very disappointed if we later learn that all the ASIC developers are in cohorts.

Really?  I'd think you'd be delighted.

BTW, it's 'cahoots'.

Thanks, Bogart. I even Googled it to make sure I spelled it correctly. Note to self: Next time check the definition.

Actual word-of-the-day today: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pseudology?s=t

Is benefactor the correct term? http://thesaurus.com/browse/benefactor?s=t
Clearfly

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:53:09 AM

I'm thinking ASICMINER.

Sure, they have their own chips, but it will take over 200 of their chips to make a 72Gh/s device, but only 16 bASIC chips.

Plus if they haven't pulled the trigger on a full wafer maskset yet for high volume production of their own 130nm design, they could just save all that cost and instead buy the half finished 90nm bASIC chips, assuming they trust them to work.

Tom mentioned much earlier reaching an agreement to supply chips to a competitor.  I think these are the same ppl who are now acquiring bASIC.

Seems to make sense, and possibly why Tom's offering a hosting/investment solution instead.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:59:38 AM

I'm thinking ASICMINER.

Seems to make sense, and possibly why Tom's offering a hosting/investment solution instead.
I thought Tom's hosting solution was located here in the United States? Why would an ASIAN company ship their product to USA just for hosting?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:02:59 AM

I'm thinking ASICMINER.

Tom mentioned much earlier reaching an agreement to supply chips to a competitor.  I think these are the same ppl who are now acquiring bASIC.

Nobody seems to know whether there even are any half finished 90 nm bASIC chips.  Taking over bASIC would be a massive risk right now as a lot of people are wanting refunds on their pre-orders and it will likely require an injection of more capital to finish development of the bASIC units.  Whoever takes over isn't even guaranteed those first batch sales because they can't predict how many people will cancel their orders.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 06:08:05 AM

I'm thinking ASICMINER.

Tom mentioned much earlier reaching an agreement to supply chips to a competitor.  I think these are the same ppl who are now acquiring bASIC.

Nobody seems to know whether there even are any half finished 90 nm bASIC chips.  Taking over bASIC would be a massive risk right now as a lot of people are wanting refunds on their pre-orders and it will likely require an injection of more capital to finish development of the bASIC units.

I'm goin' to go out on a limb here and echo what somebody else already stated, albeit with a Phinn twist. Tom woke with a hangover, looked in the mirror, saw squinted eyes, and said to himself, "Damn! I look Asian." Then went and penned the epic "Asian Benefactor" post. Then went back to bed. Then...
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:25:01 AM

Tom just sold bAsic

... to "an asian company".

Um ... which one? I guess there's more than one company in this Asia Wink

Do not worry. These ASIAN benefactors will not let anyone down.

EDIT: No seriously. This is hilarious.

ASIAN benefactors.

She'll whip those naughty ASIC's into shape  Shocked

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 03:09:22 PM

Tom just sold bAsic

... to "an asian company".

Um ... which one? I guess there's more than one company in this Asia Wink

Do not worry. These ASIAN benefactors will not let anyone down.

EDIT: No seriously. This is hilarious.

ASIAN benefactors.

She'll whip those naughty ASIC's into shape  Shocked

Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:08:28 PM

I'm thinking ASICMINER.

Nobody seems to know whether there even are any half finished 90 nm bASIC chips.

We don't know, but maybe they do.

Taking over bASIC would be a massive risk right now as a lot of people are wanting refunds on their pre-orders and it will likely require an injection of more capital to finish development of the bASIC units.  Whoever takes over isn't even guaranteed those first batch sales because they can't predict how many people will cancel their orders.

In the short term, yes.

However, for an entity with the financial wherewithal to ride out all the cancelations, if they can manage to complete development of the product and ship even a small handful of orders, once that happens, securing a massive flood of orders will not be a problem IMO.

The real risk is in whether the chips work, if they have even been produced.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:11:05 PM

I don't get it.  Is the quote from a movie or something?

No, it's funny because Tom appears to have been emphasising the fact that the new "benefactors" are ASIAN in order to reassure people that they will be able to ensure that the bASICs will actually get built and shipped in March.

Oh, yeah that is pretty funny.   Cheesy

RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:13:25 PM

However, for an entity with the financial wherewithal to ride out all the cancelations, if they can manage to complete development of the product and ship even a small handful of orders, once that happens, securing a massive flood of orders will not be a problem IMO.

If they can manage to complete development of the product, they can set all unsold devices to mine for them, earning even more than selling them.
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:41:27 PM

If they can manage to complete development of the product, they can set all unsold devices to mine for them, earning even more than selling them.

I disagree.  I think there's more money to be made in selling the devices, by far.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:42:54 PM

I disagree.  I think there's more money to be made in selling the devices, by far.

+1
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:15:15 PM

You know, I swear there was a comment here pointing out the lockdown at the BTCFPGA forums and suggesting people should arrange credit-card chargebacks where possible, and then when I refereshed the page it just... vanished.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
miter_myles

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:31:28 PM

You know, I swear there was a comment here pointing out the lockdown at the BTCFPGA forums and suggesting people should arrange credit-card chargebacks where possible, and then when I refereshed the page it just... vanished.

Yeah - it was mine, I removed it and put it on the more "current" bASIC thread.. trying to keep things all in one place.. seems like two threads are covering one topic

At least one post of mine was removed from the bASIC forum since I wasn't agreeing with Tom's "please stay with us plea"... yet another classless move from a less than decent human being.

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 04:05:28 PM

Where is the "tomorrow" update? Cheesy

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
miter_myles

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 04:12:13 PM

Beside the hangover headache medicine I would assume..

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: