Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:59:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?  (Read 34254 times)
Arrakeen

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Offer escrow, receive negative trust

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 03:04:48 AM

we have to do is, how that bitcoin could be used for offline, what is that possible ?
internet is the half of my life without it i will die..

You won't die, because you'll still have that other half.  You'll adapt to a world without internet, and learn how to replace certain activities you perform online in the real world.  Sounds like you need a vacation to some remote location that has no satellite service!

This isn't the matrix dude - the internet has only been mainstream for what, 20-30 years?  I'm pretty sure people managed the horrible task of living offline for....however many millennia before that Cheesy
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:27:03 AM

i have the perfect example here, and the answer is nothing

the day before yesterday i was unable to connect for the whole day, in that case if you have nothing to buy you're fine like it was for me, if you need to buy something urgent it may be a problem

a fuction that make it possible to send bitcoin in delay, so you receive the good and then the payment will be released, would coem in hand for those times
elizabethqueen

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:35:09 AM

The scenario like this should be covered soon by stakeholder of bitcoin because who's know this will happened in the future.
I myself guess if internet goes down so do bitcoin. Anybody have discussed how to backing up the situation like this? Imean the stakeholder.

EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 01:24:40 PM

given the cayos happening in the world i wouldn't be surprised of nuclear war and in this case i would expect internet disruption question is what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?

home internet and mobile internet goes down

do not mean trade bitcoin to buy/sell i mean using it as a way of payment say you wanted to send money to someone abroad for family far away
bitcoin is stay on wallet and exchange,they can't be use for transaction or transfer,the only one can doing with bitcoin is use papper wllet and create scanner for transafer,and it will make bitcoin stay alive without internet,or transfered via bluetooth maybe Grin

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Xubu

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 01:40:11 PM

given the cayos happening in the world i wouldn't be surprised of nuclear war and in this case i would expect internet disruption question is how do we trade bitcoin during this time if we can't access internet.

Bitcoin network completely breaks down. no hash power, no node. no confirmation, then we have to go cash, like dollar, euro.
You forgot gold, silver, juwelery, whatever that has some value. Maybe you can sell your body if you have no paper money or value things. Be prepared for it should i say. We definatly gonna get crisis at the world.
blackmachinegun

Activity: 532

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 01:45:10 PM

I think paper wallet will be use if its happens that you can transfer it into another pc or laptop..
But i think it will not happen because internet is the half of my life without it i will die..
of course it would be complicated if you use a paper wallet? for now, the Internet plays an important role, for the sustainability of the transaction in bitcoin
kyrios_

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:03:07 AM

I think paper wallet will be use if its happens that you can transfer it into another pc or laptop..
But i think it will not happen because internet is the half of my life without it i will die..
of course it would be complicated if you use a paper wallet? for now, the Internet plays an important role, for the sustainability of the transaction in bitcoin

if the internet goes down. the entire blockchain ceases to exist right, there will be different versions that can't be verified so the whole system fails. am I wrong?
relq

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:07:17 AM

I think if internet goes down bitcoin will never exist again, because bitcoin itself earned by online and internet. if internet goes down, so no people can't access their bitcoin again.
Hugroll

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:25:54 AM

given the cayos happening in the world i wouldn't be surprised of nuclear war and in this case i would expect internet disruption question is what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?

do not mean trade bitcoin to buy/sell i mean using it as a way of payment say you wanted to send money to someone abroad for family far away
if the web went down there would be no blockchain and bitcoin as a currency just woudnlt be able to function but the odds of that happening are really really low.
BitcoinBud44

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:41:23 AM

Pretty silly question.
Since Bitcoin relies on the internet for transactions, Bitcoin would effectively die.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
JeWay

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 05:03:12 AM

Same as what will happen to your active file on torrent, you can't either download or seed the file
langedwig

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 09:38:31 AM

Pretty silly question.
Since Bitcoin relies on the internet for transactions, Bitcoin would effectively die.
Absolutely wrong.
There are many offline wallets which donot require internet connections .
Armory wallet can be used for offline transactions but you need some more efforts and hardwork to do so.

To send Bitcoins from your armory offline wallet, do the following:
1. On the online computer, click the
Offline Transactions button on the right, below the logo. Select
Create New Offline Transaction . Alternatively, you can just select
Send Bitcoins and select the watching-only/offline wallet.
2. Create the transaction as you normally would but the “Send” button will be grayed out since the watching-only wallet cannot sign transactions..
3. Click the button Create Unsigned Transaction on the left side.
4. A window will open with the unsigned version of the transaction. Press the Save to file… button to save a
*.unsigned.tx to the USB key
5. Insert USB key in offline computer, and click Offline Transactions , then select Sign or Broadcast Tranasaction.
6. Load the file from the USB key, then press the Sign button. A confirmation window will appear.
7. Verify the confirmation details before you sign it! The benefits of an offline wallet are lost if you don’t make sure the details are correct!
8. Click Save to file… . It will overwrite the original *.unsigned.tx file with a *.signed.tx file.
9. Eject the USB key and plug it into the online computer. If the original window is still open, you can click on Next Step to get to the broadcast window. If you closed Armory since then, you can use the same Offline Transactions button on the main window, and select Sign or Broadcast Transaction . Once the file is loaded, some green text should appear telling you that the signature is valid and the Ready to Broadcast! button should become available.
10. Press the button and you’re done!
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 09:53:29 AM

Pretty silly question.
Absolutely wrong.
Armory wallet can be used for offline transactions but you need some more efforts and hardwork to do so.

2. Create the transaction as you normally would but the “Send” button will be grayed out since the watching-only wallet cannot sign transactions..
4. A window will open with the unsigned version of the transaction. Press the Save to file… button to save a
5. Insert USB key in offline computer, and click Offline Transactions , then select Sign or Broadcast Tranasaction.
6. Load the file from the USB key, then press the Sign button. A confirmation window will appear.
7. Verify the confirmation details before you sign it! The benefits of an offline wallet are lost if you don’t make sure the details are correct!
8. Click Save to file… . It will overwrite the original *.unsigned.tx file with a *.signed.tx file.
9. Eject the USB key and plug it into the online computer. If the original window is still open, you can click on Next Step to get to the broadcast window. If you closed Armory since then, you can use the same Offline Transactions button on the main window, and select Sign or Broadcast Transaction . Once the file is loaded, some green text should appear telling you that the signature is valid and the Ready to Broadcast! button should become available.

Ok that can be done, but do we agree that if there's no Internet the last thing we are going to think about is Bitcoin?
I think we all have to dirty our hands and do some real work to be able to have food.
If the internet goes down Bitcoin would be really my last concern!
TTMNewsMJ

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:59:54 PM

If this will be going to happen then bitcoin will be useless.
vilain

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:09:08 PM

face to face trades? Of course there must be a way to broadcast the transaction anyways. And as said on previous topics, if there is no internet service, we probably have bigger things to worry about.

This apocalyptic scenario indeed makes no sense discussing about.

Sometimes I wonder: well, if for some reason we stop having access to electricity, then internet would cease to exist and I would loose all my crypto money. But then I remember: fuck, if this happens, I'd better be worrying about buying a gun and defending my life!
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 03:22:39 PM

I just can't understand why people are worried about such things. If the internet goes down you better have a bunker with a bunch of food, water and weapons and a good bed, that's all you will need because no internet = civilization has collapsed and no one cares about exchanging currencies.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 03:44:07 PM

Pretty silly question.
Absolutely wrong.

Well, I think a majority of people wouldn't know what to do (especially what you just described) if all of this were to go down.  The fact is, is that there will be no more miners to confirm transactions to another party you are trying to send bitcoins to, and there for the security of transacting bitcoins to get a good or service when the internet is down is down as well.

The only possible way to transact bitcoins in a secure way if everything were to shut down, in my mind, is to have a cold wallet storage that you can see how much bitcoins is on there, in which you can transact physically... not by some broadcast function of what you said.  Though, if this were the case... I don't think people would even want to transact with bitcoins, because Bitcoins economy would essentially be shut down... it's inevitable that Bitcoin is tied to the internet.

kyrios_

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 05:43:36 PM

Pretty silly question.
Absolutely wrong.

Ok that can be done, but do we agree that if there's no Internet the last thing we are going to think about is Bitcoin?
I think we all have to dirty our hands and do some real work to be able to have food.
If the internet goes down Bitcoin would be really my last concern!

doesn't step 9 require computer to be online?
Nimbulan

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 05:46:13 PM

then it wouldnt be good for bitcoin in my opinion if internet would go down we wouldnt be able to use bitcoins what would mean the death of it, people would have to wait for another internet or wait for the same one to be fixed what would take a lot of time

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
kyrios_

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 05:54:18 PM

then it wouldnt be good for bitcoin in my opinion if internet would go down we wouldnt be able to use bitcoins what would mean the death of it, people would have to wait for another internet or wait for the same one to be fixed what would take a lot of time

what if you convert Bitcoin to physical coins and use it
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: