Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:27:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?  (Read 34261 times)
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 11:16:31 AM

Bitcoin transactions, mining, and other bitcoin activities are linked and processed online through the internet. Without the internet people cannot use, buy and sell bitcoins. In short it will be the end of bitcoins. Fiat currency is declared the winner and will be used for generations. Saying goodbye to internet is saying goodbye to bitcoin and the whole cryptocurrency economy.
Oralmat

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 11:24:07 AM

What if the world ends? What would happen to all the fiat currency that is on the planet?

It is unlikely that such a wide spread internet access will all go down at the same time. But bitcoin will be revived as soon as internet comes up online again for at least one of us.

For my view, if internet go down, so than we will build it again and let start the work again, but imaginary, internet never come again for a long period than we will use the fiat currency.
If we see the previous last 30 years, so in that time majority of the people didn't know about the computer, and in that time no bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies was here, people only using the fiat currency, and they was happy and they was living the life. So same situation will be happened again, if internet go down.   
takingthis4

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 11:48:02 AM

If the internet goes down, we go back to real gold since bitcoin is digital gold as store of value  Grin
thats true, i hope that the internet is never going to go down because it would be a disaster for bitcoin, no one would be able to use it because it wold be impossible to send it

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
AioFox

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 12:21:29 PM

Well, i think internet is never goes down. If internet goes down, bitcoin will dead because no one can't using bitcoin on online, but maybe some people can use bitcoin with their offline wallet.
anything can happen, dude. I sure similarly with your said if the internet goes down, bitcoin will dead because no on can using bitcoin. but what you can do with the offline wallet?I think is not having a value at that time. the one disadvantages of bitcoin, without internet bitcoin, is worthless.

of course anything is possible but the important thing that you are forgetting here is that the chance of happening a lot of these scenarios are so small that it becomes negligible. so in this case you can safely assume it will never happen because the chance is so small.

You mean like that move for Johny Deep? I forgot what the movie was called but the internet went down in the end and people lived normal simple lives. I think those who are rich by making money on the internet would eventually become poor and those who worked through hard labour and a non internet means would be the ones who are rich.
KingdomHearts

Activity: 896
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 12:59:24 PM

if internet goes down then bitcoin also breakdown because bitcoin is totally depend on internet but  i think internet can not go down because nowadays  technology is much more advance in the world and internet will never goes down now in modern age .
serjent05
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1258

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 04:06:57 PM

if internet goes down then bitcoin also breakdown because bitcoin is totally depend on internet but  i think internet can not go down because nowadays  technology is much more advance in the world and internet will never goes down now in modern age .

Pretty much this is true, if internet goes down bitcoin network will collapse (we are talking about the global internet shutdown here).  Furthermore in transaction like payment online or remitances, as stated, when bitcoin network collapse all the transaction will be at halt.  So no remittances, even all sort of online transaction will stop.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
pandalion98

Activity: 504

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 05:27:02 PM

Pretty much this is true, if internet goes down bitcoin network will collapse (we are talking about the global internet shutdown here).  Furthermore in transaction like payment online or remitances, as stated, when bitcoin network collapse all the transaction will be at halt.  So no remittances, even all sort of online transaction will stop.
I don't think all of the transactions will stop. Instead, I think the BTC network will get fragmented.

Intercontinental cables are the most vulnerable pieces. Intracontinental ones, on the other hand, have a good chance of surviving. Bitcoin transactions can still be broadcast, but it won't reach the other side of the world. Miners can still receive transactions, but only from the extent of their connection (e.g. a US miner can't receive Chinese transactions since trans-Pacific cables are offline). There would be a fork basically.
avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 05:46:16 PM

I don't think that will not happen, but if it will happen than many people will not be happy and that is very bad. Because there are people that is depended  on Bitcoin.
But the chance is very small to happen that and that good. But we will see, but the chance is almost impossible.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 05:49:31 PM

I don't think that will not happen, but if it will happen than many people will not be happy and that is very bad. Because there are people that is depended  on Bitcoin.
But the chance is very small to happen that and that good. But we will see, but the chance is almost impossible.

If the net goes down for a decent amount of time world wide we are looking at massive population loss.. riots... wars...  Food not getting to stores.. bitcoin would be the last of anyone's worries.
langedwig

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 06:03:42 PM

Nothing can be done unless we have  set everything in place to prevent the loss.  Everything is done in this forum online. If it goes down it has to be resolved very soon to avoid a loss.
langedwig

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 06:10:26 PM

if internet goes down then bitcoin also breakdown because bitcoin is totally depend on internet but  i think internet can not go down because nowadays  technology is much more advance in the world and internet will never goes down now in modern age .

Pretty much this is true, if internet goes down bitcoin network will collapse (we are talking about the global internet shutdown here).  Furthermore in transaction like payment online or remitances, as stated, when bitcoin network collapse all the transaction will be at halt.  So no remittances, even all sort of online transaction will stop.
Its true. But do we have anything to prevent this collapse? Let's hopenthis should not happen anytime. Let's dream to have btc forever. Let also the future generation  experience the benefits of BTC.
langedwig

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 06:19:11 PM

What if the world ends? What would happen to all the fiat currency that is on the planet?

It is unlikely that such a wide spread internet access will all go down at the same time. But bitcoin will be revived as soon as internet comes up online again for at least one of us.
As everything is based upon the internet access now days, it wil ruin thousands of employment. I am sure this is fully taken care. More focus would be on making the internet work and do more than simply allowing it to get lapsed.
bitdumper

Activity: 266

One world One currency, Bitcoin.

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 06:26:01 PM

firstly bitcoin is running all over the world with billions of computer running it each have a part of network so i don't think it will effect much if internet goes down for a while we have the network still running but i don't think we can make transactions due to the unavailability of miners.

20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 07:03:08 PM

This would mean a big scare for all of the Bitcoin owners. Even a second of worldwide Internet shutdown would most probably mean chaos and fear for most, if not all of us. That would hit the Bitcoin hard, because we will loose our trust in it, which means the price probably going as low as the 2011/2012 level. In case of a war (which is most likely to take place soon with all the tensions around the globe), nobody would care about ANY currency except gold. And trust me, a war in this moment... Means the World War III. Internet/Energy shutdown worldwide is what I'm afraid of right now. Just imagine The world having none of these for just one minute. Think of the absolutely huge scare we would get from it.
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1164

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 07:44:29 PM

Well, i think internet is never goes down. If internet goes down, bitcoin will dead because no one can't using bitcoin on online, but maybe some people can use bitcoin with their offline wallet.
The internet will never go down globally. It might happen in some countries, but that's all.

The great thing is that mining farms and nodes are hosted in different places around the world.

If the internet in one country goes down, then there will always be the other countries left to keep Bitcoin up and running.

That's why it is very important also for the future that nodes and mining farms get spreaded around the globe wisely.
It's not possible globally but there can be internet downtime for many and especially when we need to make transactions urgently, we would need to connect to the internet else the transactions would be held up. In any case, bitcoins would never end with the end of the internet as it will never happen but we need to have phsyical bitcoins to avoid this possibility.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
TGD

Activity: 1288
Merit: 620

Wen Rolex?

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 01:32:15 AM

The internet will never go down globally. It might happen in some countries, but that's all.

The great thing is that mining farms and nodes are hosted in different places around the world.

If the internet in one country goes down, then there will always be the other countries left to keep Bitcoin up and running.

That's why it is very important also for the future that nodes and mining farms get spreaded around the globe wisely.
Wow that's a nice I dea and thank you for the info atleast we don't need to worry if its happen in any country we still have our own bitcoin. And  the internet that down will going back again.

Don't mind me | Just checking out here for Duelbits Promotion | Bitcoin 1M | Duelbits no 1
emberbekas
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:16:40 AM

If internet went down then bitcoin will dissapear aswell since all bitcoin transactions need internet. Nowadays internet is one of the effective way to connect all people around the world and I do believe that a bunch of people that competent on it will keep maintan and make sure that internet will be available for a very long time! So, no worry about it!

bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:23:30 AM

anything can happen, dude. I sure similarly with your said if the internet goes down, bitcoin will dead because no on can using bitcoin. but what you can do with the offline wallet?I think is not having a value at that time. the one disadvantages of bitcoin, without internet bitcoin, is worthless.

of course anything is possible but the important thing that you are forgetting here is that the chance of happening a lot of these scenarios are so small that it becomes negligible. so in this case you can safely assume it will never happen because the chance is so small.

Never mine bitcoin if internet goes down.  I think the world will stop revolving if there is no internet. People will go nuts not being able to update their facebook status. We are now heavily reliant to internet and its services, so if it goes down, world economy goes down with it too. Then chaos. So, bitcoin will go down if internet is out. The same with everything that relies on internet too.
sobsitesearch

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:41:07 AM

Wow that's a nice I dea and thank you for the info atleast we don't need to worry if its happen in any country we still have our own bitcoin. And  the internet that down will going back again.
Internet connection is the heart of bitcoin mining farm, i think the owner of the farm already prepared if that will happen. They not stick on 1 mining farm and in 1 country. and also there are more ISP in this world and all are very competitive that is why they give all their best to keep their client intact on them.
PemburuReceh

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:44:17 AM

If the internet goes down i think bitcoin will probably go down with them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: