Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:22:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 555 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network  (Read 1201066 times)
AlexNT01

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:47:11 PM

here's what the tab I open for your website says

"SSL connection error

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Error code: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

any other websites I go to open up no problem so I just wondered if I needed some authenication to get in or what.

Alex
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
trader19
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 06:59:48 PM

So ONLY people that are contributing to this coin like coders can get this coin? I don't know anything about coding but would like to get some of these coins to stake up, so what do I need to do in order to either earn some or be in the airdrop?

Non-coders are welcome! The project is inclusive by design and in its philosophy going forward. If you are interested in contributing in the future, there's a place for you, even if you haven't contributed to things in the past. All we ask is that you submit some form of online presence so we can filter out people who have no real interest, since the project will be built on contributors. Even a forum account where you've talked and thought about the issues is sufficient to be included in the airdrop. It's a crude mechanism to try and act in the best interest of the starting conditions of the project (balanced against the realities of building technology like Decred).

I tried to go to your website https://www.decred.org/ but either it's not working or I don't have permission to actually go there, so how do I sign up or show support as a non coder?

The web site is up and running on this end. Can anyone else confirm problems? If you continue having problems, contact @decredproject on Twitter or post in r/decred on reddit for help with getting submitted for the airdrop.
sounds great, i would love to be part of airdrop and i can surely contribute somehow. following

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
decred (OP)

Activity: 156
Merit: 236

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 07:06:07 PM

here's what the tab I open for your website says

"SSL connection error

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Error code: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

any other websites I go to open up no problem so I just wondered if I needed some authenication to get in or what.

Alex

That is very odd. Can't replicate it on this end at all. What browser are you using? If you're not comfortable discussing here, send a PM or visit the other Decred sites to get in touch so someone can help you.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:28:54 PM

What is the origin and meaning of the name "Decred"? How is it pronounced?

tacotime came up with it while brainstorming with c0. If I remember correctly, it was on the topic of "decentralized credits". It's kind of taken on a meaning of its own now. It seems that most people who see it think it's pronounced "dee-cred".

In terms of the name, made up words are always nice since you don't have to translate them (an idea that goes back at least to Kodak if not earlier).

Even back to Castoria from the mid 1800s  (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%27s_Laxative)
AlexNT01

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:31:09 PM

I use google chrome
decred (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 09:10:53 PM

What's the blocktime?  2 min?  10 min?  Is it up for a vote?  Same for max_block_size?  Is there a Monero-like penalty for large blocks? Is everything up for a vote (including the ~21e6 coin limit)?

5 min. 1 MB. No penalty for size (as of yet). Anything within reason is up for voting where the technology permits it with sufficient testing and simulation. ~21e6 works well as a comparison to Bitcoin, for a short answer.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 11:58:06 PM

Also, the name could be D(ecentralized)-Cred(it), so D-Cred with ticker DCRD

Funny you should mention that, pretty sure it came up in early discussions. In all likelihood it'll end up being a made-up word now in terms of meaning - have it take on a meaning people ascribe to it over time.

Dcred.it is growing on me.  The 'D' doesn't just connote decentralization but also System D, as well as removing (de-leting) sovereign debt/financialization from the world order.

Better than my crummy suggestion of SprawlCoin or GridCash!   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DonnyM

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 03:11:09 AM

Have you set up any vendors yet that want to start taking Dcred. For this to go it is going to have to be spent. And just converting it to Fiat is not gonna make it grow.
I wanna mine, stake and spend. Can't wait to fill up my wallet and pass some to my friends.

Donny
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 03:48:49 AM

Have you set up any vendors yet that want to start taking Dcred. For this to go it is going to have to be spent. And just converting it to Fiat is not gonna make it grow.
I wanna mine, stake and spend. Can't wait to fill up my wallet and pass some to my friends.

Donny

On-chain dice is the traditional first use case for a bootstrapping new coin.   Cool

We shouldn't approach vendors until it actually exists and has been verified to work properly/safely.  They ain't got time for no vaporware!

Of course getting XDC listed on exchanges should start ASAP.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
pr0m3theus2013

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:07:31 AM

I am interested in potentially submitting some contributions, either personally or with my team.
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1075

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 06:54:08 AM

Welcome back guys,
Its a gd mix of people here, lots  of matured traders, so many friends and enemies unite with the same goal.  Wink
im sure this coin will do well...im gona pump the fk outta this  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST
idolacchacked

Activity: 598
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 07:58:12 AM

looking good count me in Smiley
decred (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 09:49:39 AM

Donny

On-chain dice is the traditional first use case for a bootstrapping new coin.   Cool

We shouldn't approach vendors until it actually exists and has been verified to work properly/safely.  They ain't got time for no vaporware!

Of course getting XDC listed on exchanges should start ASAP.

Agree with the points on vendors and exchanges. We as a community will have to make that happen, since the primary focus now is making sure the technology is up and running and tested thoroughly. Beyond that, anything done will be a collaborative effort anyone can engage in. Lots of energy in the community, so no doubt we'll be able to make it happen if the tech is solid.
decred (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 12:47:02 PM

I am interested in potentially submitting some contributions, either personally or with my team.

If you haven't already done so, sign up for the airdrop (can be as a team, but it's recommended you do it individually). If you want to talk about specific contributions get in touch on here or any of the other platforms (some of the devs are also in #decred on irc.freenode.net).
sambiohazard

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:55:14 PM

So, should i assume that airdrop is not up for discussion?

Everything is up for discussion - but at this point in time all effort the project has is going into making sure the technology works as intended and is tested properly. That's the primary focus now. The logic behind the structure of the airdrop is for it to be as simple as possible. It will all be over in a single block.

Funny you should mention that, pretty sure it came up in early discussions. In all likelihood it'll end up being a made-up word now in terms of meaning - have it take on a meaning people ascribe to it over time.

@decred I still dont get the starting block reward, can you give me a number?

Thanks for replying. I have been reading MC2 thread and your blog etc so maybe i picked up on that name there. Someone mentione ticker XDC which is a good option if it is available.

You talked about non-coding contribution. Is running full nodes, mining/staking also considered contribution or it has to be with designing, marketing, blogging or community management/support on various social platforms?

EDIT: Will there be a slack for decred? I find it great for chatting & file sharing as compared to IRC. Its free version is great if someone keeps backup logs as it shows only 10K msgs on all channels.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:24:14 PM

Dcred.it is growing on me.  The 'D' doesn't just connote decentralization but also System D, as well as removing (de-leting) sovereign debt/financialization from the world order.

Better than my crummy suggestion of SprawlCoin or GridCash!   Cheesy

Here's to hopin' they pick it up, for it was freely given to them as a gift. If anybody else picks it up first, please consider passing it to them for cost at the most.
jcv

Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 04:24:46 PM

Everything is up for discussion - but at this point in time all effort the project has is going into making sure the technology works as intended and is tested properly. That's the primary focus now. The logic behind the structure of the airdrop is for it to be as simple as possible. It will all be over in a single block.

Thanks for replying. I have been reading MC2 thread and your blog etc so maybe i picked up on that name there. Someone mentione ticker XDC which is a good option if it is available.

You talked about non-coding contribution. Is running full nodes, mining/staking also considered contribution or it has to be with designing, marketing, blogging or community management/support on various social platforms?

EDIT: Will there be a slack for decred? I find it great for chatting & file sharing as compared to IRC. Its free version is great if someone keeps backup logs as it shows only 10K msgs on all channels.

I'll let someone else answer about what non-coding contributions are (other than again saying we want to be pretty inclusive in how we consider things).

As for slac vs IRC, personally, I really prefer IRC.  I already use it for a number of other projects and communities that I'm part of and am very used to it.  Also looks like slac is not open source and does not run on *BSD (where I do a lot of my work) so I'm fairly unlikely to use it.  Does not mean other might not be interested, but I know that at least a few other people on the current team probably feel that way too.
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:37:08 PM

ill be mining this coin next year...

thanks for all the information  Smiley

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
sambiohazard

Activity: 840

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:47:27 PM

I'll let someone else answer about what non-coding contributions are (other than again saying we want to be pretty inclusive in how we consider things).

As for slac vs IRC, personally, I really prefer IRC.  I already use it for a number of other projects and communities that I'm part of and am very used to it.  Also looks like slac is not open source and does not run on *BSD (where I do a lot of my work) so I'm fairly unlikely to use it.  Does not mean other might not be interested, but I know that at least a few other people on the current team probably feel that way too.

i guess it comes down to your personal preference so we might end up having both. I like it as its available on mobile & all 3 major OS & its easy to share files right in the app. Maybe slack for general community & IRC for tech discussions.
decred (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 05:38:31 PM

Like jcv said above (he's a Decred dev), it's definitely not just coding contributions. If you have plans to support Decred in the future in whatever way you want, you'll be part of the airdrop. If you've already made contributions to other technological ecosystems, even better. There's plenty of space since the hard cap is 5,000 people. The intention was to make it broad but contribution focused - as that's the system Decred envisions and builds itself around. If you want to contribute, there's space for you, and if you are contributing to Decred in the future, there's opportunity for you. Those are the basics of the system everyone's looking to build.

Will there be a slack for decred? I find it great for chatting & file sharing as compared to IRC. Its free version is great if someone keeps backup logs as it shows only 10K msgs on all channels.

As you may now, veteran devs are pretty set in their ways. There's a security protocol in place around development communication and code before mainnet is live and open-source, so it's unlikely devs will make their way to an external service like slack - especially since they're focused now. If Decred members (that includes you) want to set one up, the project will make sure there's representation in there with someone who can communicate with devs prior to mainnet. Once mainnet is live and public, even IRC will have more activity and other mediums too. So feel free to set it up if you want and let people know here so community members can engage and organise that way too - you've got freedom here, don't need to ask for permission!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 555 »
  Print  

Jump to: