Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if BTC was Banned?  (Read 65805 times)
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 06:20:33 AM

I think a lot of people would still use Bitcoin no matter what. Anyway, how are they going to catch us? All I can say is, good luck to the cops trying to crack down on Bitcoin.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 04:58:50 PM

I think a lot of people would still use Bitcoin no matter what. Anyway, how are they going to catch us? All I can say is, good luck to the cops trying to crack down on Bitcoin.

"a lot" = up to 1,5 mil-2 mil active traders(users).

in comparison with small payment systems or other e-currencies like Perfect Money, it is a joke despite the media that it has. Bitcoin is a very small system. I know you think otherwise but make your own researches. Smiley
nejibens

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 05:04:53 PM

"a lot" = up to 1,5 mil-2 mil active traders(users).

in comparison with small payment systems or other e-currencies like Perfect Money, it is a joke despite the media that it has. Bitcoin is a very small system. I know you think otherwise but make your own researches. Smiley

It's still small compared with other currencies and ewallets working since hundreds of years, but it's in the other hand great currency when we know it's only working since few years ago. This way we can fairly compare the things mate
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 06:29:14 PM

they would simply do what they are doing in russia, or they will put you in jail if they can track your transaction, not that hard if you buy directly with bitcoin
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 06:40:27 PM

they would simply do what they are doing in russia, or they will put you in jail if they can track your transaction, not that hard if you buy directly with bitcoin

Even then people will fear to use bitcoins in countries where the currency is banned. It's not about bitcoins being used secretly/privately but the ban on bitcoins will make forums like BCT to shut down and anyone found even discussing about it would be jailed. It will then seem that bitcoin users are dealing with drugs or other dangerous goods which isn't what should happen with this currency that is indeed useful to all (besides the ones who are misusing it).

Ceizer54

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 06:51:39 PM

Bitcoin can't be banned by any government because it will contradict the ability of bitcoin-Bitcoin is decentralised and does not govern by anybody but people so to ban bitcoin they have to stop everyone on bitcoin network to use it which is impossible..Even if government try to ban bitcoin in 1 particular country it would be much difficult to track anyone using bitcoin and transacting due to its anonymous nature.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:34:13 PM

But what if that use bitcoin very much in that country ? whether all of them will be included in jail ?

Prison may be filled by bitcoin users compared with criminals.

yeah it's not feasible, there is really nothing they can do to stop it, besides closing the door to the merchants, and thus making bitcoin unavailable to be spent, which would destroy the adoption on that country not in the entire worl

personally i don't care about reaching 7B of people adopting bitcoin, we don't need every one of them to have "the bitcoin adoption"
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 09:09:29 PM

Bitcoin is a technology, and technologies can't be banned...
So I think there ain't any meaning in thinking the same...
If they would have to be banned, they could have been stopped getting used way before...
Many countries have already banned them, still BTC are getting used everywhere, so there ain't anyone who can ban Bitcoins...

yoona

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Live by your own rules

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:58:35 AM

What do you guys think it would happen if all the governments in the world declared bitcoin to be illegal?
How do you think the community would react? What could be the possible solutions?
this is never gonna be happen,but lets imagine if this really happen.
bitcoin banned in every country,and we can't make bitcoin transaction everywhere,but i'm sure so many bitcoin holder not gonna give up,they keep their bitcoin,and make some community without goverment rules,its possible.
Maskedman

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 05:00:59 AM

It's already banned it Taiwan and partially banned in China.

Yet, the biggest price influencers are Chinese exchanges.

So a ban doesn't really do anything.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 01:51:42 PM

It is banned in thin air.  Grin Although maybe some are preventing from using it with I dont know what. What will stop it? The police? They wont even know we are using it. You can freely access it in your smart phones.
AraCoins

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 01:57:16 PM

I am so new with bitcoin so if bitcoin would ban that I will just stop using it.
Why just still using it if is illegal to use, I don't to go to jail for just like that.
fravia

Activity: 770

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 02:33:02 PM

if bitcoin was banned there would be a huge negative impact on the price for sure it wouldnt even matter if some of the people would still use it everyone would dump their all bitcoins to get rid of it and take out as much money as possible so lets hope this thing will not ever happen

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
nejibens

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 02:35:09 PM

I am so new with bitcoin so if bitcoin would ban that I will just stop using it.
Why just still using it if is illegal to use, I don't to go to jail for just like that.

Bitcoin's legal and global currency, and many famous marketplaces use it as payment method
This thread just make this hypothese which isn't logical in my opinion
Luqman

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 02:43:31 PM

I'm kinda still use bitcoin even my government ban it, how do they stopping us from using bitcoin? The anonymity of bitcoin will kinda hard for someone tracking it.
conio.h

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 02:50:36 PM

No government will ever support a virtual currency that goes around borders and doesn’t have the same controls. It’s not going to happen.

I think instead bitcoin will be used to define borders as community standards, regulations and ethics are pushed to the local network. For example - a self driving automobile knows that once it crosses over the state line it can now turn right on red after stop. As these little blockchain contracts (between governance and consumers) add up, there will be a point where we can hardly tell the difference between government and the blockchain.
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:37:37 PM

The number of users on BTC is so large that there is hardly any chance of it getting banned and even if it happens it would do much harm to the residents of only a few countries where the concentration of BTC users is high. Bitcoin is not equally popular all over the world though.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:55:08 PM

But wait!  Even for this to black market scenario to happen, you still need miners.  Again, finding and jailing the miners would be childs play for the authorities, even if any existed that were willing to work at high risk for low monetary return.

How could mining be banned?  It is simply using a distributed network of computers to solve a set of math problems.

If bitcoin is banned globally, then by default mining is.  If you are mining bitcoins, and bitcoins are illegal..... then the second you collect your reward and use it - you have broken the law.  And if the "Ban" is seriously enforced, then they will simply track down the Miners, and pick them off one by one.

I applaud your attempt (even though amazingly naive and idealistic) that mining is "simply using a distributed network of computers to solve a set of math problems", but my guess is that under the scenario in which all the governments of the world ban bitcoin, that anyone will be fighting a winning Supreme Court battle with that argument.  It will look really good etched in the concrete of your jail cell wall though! 

Criminal Defense: I am just a guy solving complex math!

You have pretty similar thing with sharing illegal content via torrents (p2p). It's illegal to do so everywhere afaik, but just look how they can fight agains it - they can't, and
too add - why would they fight bitcoin is the way you are describing ? Just because it's better than any other model out there that they created ? I don't think it will ever happen.

There are illegal prime numbers.

Also there are cases where the binary format of copyrighted stuff is illegal to posess.

Yes math is illegal in some cases, what a fucked up world Cheesy

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:39:06 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 08:08:23 PM by n2004al

Nothing, nothing will happen to the world if in case bitcoin was banned (which is highly improbable to say the least.) Let's face it, bitcoin hasn't made a significant impact to the industry and global economy but rather changed some POV on how people look at money. It may be on the headlines for a while but after quite some time, it would somehow be forgotten and another tech will come along and further what bitcoin already started.

Economically and politically yes. It is true that for them the lost of bitcoin or the ban of bitcoin will cost nothing (even I don't think exactly so). But let tell that could be so. But technologically is not at all so. The ban of bitcoin mean the stop of its development, or at least a big slowdown of its legal use in the light and  an immense increase of the use of it in the dark night of Dark Web. This mean that bitcoin will become again dirty like when it was at the beginning of its time. This situation for sure will make him the target of several powerful interests which want its stop or the decrease of its importance. To not forget the fact that is the first product of peer to peer. And this technology don't deserve that the first materialization of it have such kind of end.
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 07:57:57 PM

I'm kinda still use bitcoin even my government ban it, how do they stopping us from using bitcoin? The anonymity of bitcoin will kinda hard for someone tracking it.
Bitcoins will not be banned due to its benefits and trading benefits like a share company. But by chance Bitcoins is banned then many of the Bitcoins users who work for Bitcoins, put posts, or trade. They Will come on road.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: