Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:15:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ToominCoin aka "Bitcoin_Classic" #R3KT  (Read 157066 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
valiz

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

BTC trader

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 12:16:50 PM

And the plan is that every user will 1.) buy bitcoin 2.) send this bitcoin with a big fee (~10$) to a lightning hub and 3) pay for ln-transactions? Correct me, if I'm wrong.
There is no plan. Let the market decide.

I wonder where you pull that ~$10 from. Are you a prophet or something? Do you predict prices?

Have a look on this chart
cost for each transaction

I know it is a very rough and questionable chart, but it could give us numbers how much we have to pay for one transaction if there was no miner's reward and we wanted to keep the system as secure as it is today.

(it's also an excellent measure of how strong a bubble and, imho, how healthy the system is).

No miner reward = year 2140

So send this bitcoin with a big fee (~10$) in year 2140. You predict that $10 in year 2140 will be a big fee. Are you a prophet or something? Do you predict prices?

I initially thought your prediction is for the near term Sad

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 12:21:01 PM

And the plan is that every user will 1.) buy bitcoin 2.) send this bitcoin with a big fee (~10$) to a lightning hub and 3) pay for ln-transactions? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

I wonder where you pull that ~$10 from. Are you a prophet or something? Do you predict prices?

I know it is a very rough and questionable chart, but it could give us numbers how much we have to pay for one transaction if there was no miner's reward and we wanted to keep the system as secure as it is today.

(it's also an excellent measure of how strong a bubble and, imho, how healthy the system is).

So send this bitcoin with a big fee (~10$) in year 2140. You predict that $10 in year 2140 will be a big fee. Are you a prophet or something? Do you predict prices?

maybe 10$ could not even buy you a needle by then... inflation and political money is a bitch y' know. Roll Eyes
Bergmann_Christoph

Activity: 409
Merit: 286

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 12:38:00 PM

I'm not keen on talking about the far future. I was asked something and gave an answer. Don't blame the answer when you think the question is wrong.

--
Mein Buch: Bitcoin-Buch.org
Bester Bitcoin-Marktplatz in der Eurozone: Bitcoin.de
Bestes Bitcoin-Blog im deutschsprachigen Raum: bitcoinblog.de

Tips dafür, dass ich den Blocksize-Thread mit Niveau und Unterhaltung fülle und Fehlinformationen bekämpfe:
Bitcoin: 1BesenPtt5g9YQYLqYZrGcsT3YxvDfH239
Ethereum: XE14EB5SRHKPBQD7L3JLRXJSZEII55P1E8C
valiz

Activity: 471

BTC trader

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 12:40:19 PM

I'm not keen on talking about the far future. I was asked something and gave an answer. Don't blame the answer when you think the question is wrong.

Do you predict prices?

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
classicsucks

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 06:21:27 PM

I saw the twins in an interview and they are really amazing , one of the elite of bitcoin, but very good people.
They seem to support core and they have intelligently explained why = DECENTRALIZATION.

The Winkelvii definitely grok the ethos.  Everyone should use Gemini or Kraken instead of Coinbase and Circle.

Disclaimer:
Classic sucks. But blocksize needs to increase at some point.

I just want to throw this out there: I believe the BTC price is being kept up by long-term holders like the Winklevii, and that 1MB blocksize allows big traders like them to saturate the network capacity with buy transactions. I can't prove it, but I believe that big traders just buy their own coins back and forth through the exchanges anytime there is a dip, since there is no regulation against this. Every time I look at block explorer, I see transactions for 15K+ BTC listed. Looking right now I see a transaction for 626,839.53 BTC - that's almost 300 million USD! This is likely SPAM and/or speculation by a whale. Somebody must be buying up all of the coins that are mined each day by China to keep the price up (technically, mining is inflation).

It's also likely that big financial players are deliberately shorting BTC and trying to drive the price down. Again, there is no regulation against shorting your own coins, so this is easy if you have 100 million to play with.

Obviously Core devs, large holders of BTC, investors in the crypto space, and most people on this forum want the price to stay up. If somebody did succeed in shorting the price way down, they would likely be working in the US government's best interest. I believe that small blocksize is a cap that mitigates this risk.

I don't have proof of any of this, but it makes sense to me.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 07:11:58 PM

Disclaimer:

I just want to throw this out there: I believe the BTC price is being kept up by long-term holders like the Winklevii, and that 1MB blocksize allows big traders like them to saturate the network capacity with buy transactions. I can't prove it, but I believe that big traders just buy their own coins back and forth through the exchanges anytime there is a dip, since there is no regulation against this. Every time I look at block explorer, I see transactions for 15K+ BTC listed. Looking right now I see a transaction for 626,839.53 BTC - that's almost 300 million USD! This is likely SPAM and/or speculation by a whale. Somebody must be buying up all of the coins that are mined each day by China to keep the price up (technically, mining is inflation).

It's also likely that big financial players are deliberately shorting BTC and trying to drive the price down. Again, there is no regulation against shorting your own coins, so this is easy if you have 100 million to play with.

Obviously Core devs, large holders of BTC, investors in the crypto space, and most people on this forum want the price to stay up. If somebody did succeed in shorting the price way down, they would likely be working in the US government's best interest. I believe that small blocksize is a cap that mitigates this risk.

I don't have proof of any of this, but it makes sense to me.

If the offchain solutions become widespread, than that some point will become like 25 years.

Definitely not in the near future, faucets will have to have offchain transaction solutions like faucetbox and LN.

classicsucks

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 07:17:52 PM

Disclaimer:

I just want to throw this out there: I believe the BTC price is being kept up by long-term holders like the Winklevii, and that 1MB blocksize allows big traders like them to saturate the network capacity with buy transactions...

If the offchain solutions become widespread, than that some point will become like 25 years.

Definitely not in the near future, faucets will have to have offchain transaction solutions like faucetbox and LN.

Altcoin markets are already active and thriving - these are a good indication of demand and really are "offchain solutions" that merely require trust in exchanges and devs (which is often not warranted...).

Nonetheless consider the level of (unwarranted) trust the typical BTC holder has in exchanges...
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 07:27:52 PM

The thing is, the blocksize thing is such a small change. If BTC is having such drama over such a little thing, how will it cope in future with more stressful demands (and these will certainly present themselves). I would have thought common sense would have prevailed by now, but this thing has been dragging on for years and seems like it will continue on for years.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 08:14:37 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2016, 08:31:31 PM by Lauda

The thing is, the blocksize thing is such a small change. If BTC is having such drama over such a little thing, how will it cope in future with more stressful demands (and these will certainly present themselves). I would have thought common sense would have prevailed by now, but this thing has been dragging on for years and seems like it will continue on for years.
It isn't, this is a common misconception. Anything that requires a hard fork is anything but a simple change. Actually it is a very complex change since it should require almost everyone to upgrade (consensus). Classic on the other hand does not care about the opinion of 1/4 of the network and would fork without it.

Update: Yes, my wording was not adequate. However, it is safe to assume that it would fork (if it came to that) with less than 75% users/merchants supporting it.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 08:25:15 PM

Classic on the other hand does not care about the opinion of 1/4 of the network and would fork without it.

Network = users/nodes also and not just miners. 75% of miners doesn't mean 75% of the network. A hard fork could occur with way less than 75% of the network's support.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 09:13:40 PM

Classic on the other hand does not care about the opinion of 1/4 of the network and would fork without it.

Network = users/nodes also and not just miners. 75% of miners doesn't mean 75% of the network. A hard fork could occur with way less than 75% of the network's support.

yea, lots of shitcoins already in the wild that forked off with less than say 1% of the network.. or even with a whole new set of rules and network!!1
madjules007

Activity: 400

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 10:15:00 PM

Does a LN hub need to get and send transactions? Does he need to save them to keep record?

Yes. But every node on the bitcoin network does not. That's how we make bitcoin scale beyond the limitations of broadcast networks.

That's a wordplay. It increases throughput. That's all.

Okay, so as usual, the "solution" is to ignore the question of scalability entirely. Great solution.

Did you read what I wrote?

Yes. There were no statistics to support anything you said. Greg Maxwell's testing provided the numbers to refute you.

What do you think should happen? Growth will simply fade out.

Why? And why can't you produce any evidence that growth is fading out, or will? You keep saying baseless things like:
when bitcoin lost everything

Investments in Bitcoin companies have faded out and moved to ethereum

the price (and the usage) could be way higher / wider
There are strong indications that the current situation already cuts growth

core's roadmap will limit growth for a long time

...but you have no metrics to suggest that these statements have a modicum of truth to them. All you can do is point to an ETH chart during a hype/bubble cycle and cry about how you're not getting rich off bitcoin this second.

It's just that bitcoin is currently on the way to disqualify itself as a serious currency.

More meaningless FUD. On the contrary -- the immutability of bitcoin's consensus is precisely what makes it a serious currency.

SegWit does change nothing of throughput efficiency.

It optimizes transaction architecture such that we can achieve increased throughput without pressuring nodes off the network. If you can't understand the value of that trade-off, there is no point to this discussion.

And fact is that SW decreases our capacity to scale with this variable while, at the moment, adding nothing to throughput effiicency.

It doesn't. See my earlier post explaining the math. You continue to focus on increasing the block size when the question is how to increase throughput without degrading the network.

Since it is not possible to meassure the absenc of growth, your accusation is not adequate. There are strong indications that the current situation already cuts growth and that the plan of core's roadmap will limit growth for a long time.

Sorry, that's not how logic works. You make the claim that growth is being stifled. The burden is on you to support that claim. The impossibility of definitive proof is not sufficient to make baseless claims and act like they are true.

You are essentially saying that a small number of transactions with high fees that are the basis for offchain fee-payed transactions are a good basis to secure miner's income? Right?

I'm saying that a fee market guarantees income for miners absent block subsidy. In your scenario, where capacity remains ahead of demand (cheap and free transactions), there is no such guarantee. There is no guarantee of mass adoption and perpetual growth. So the absence of a fee market greatly threatens network security since there may be little to no incentive for miners to secure the blockchain once block subsidy ends.

I've explained how LN transactions are theoretically far cheaper than on-chain transactions, since they do not require that every node on the network validate and relay them. Any proof for this assertion that one can expect "big" fees?

You just keep repeating the same tired arguments, which fall flat on their face upon first examination. I can't keep taking the time to respond if you make no effort to move the discussion forward. If you make claims, back them up before presenting them as truths.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
classicsucks

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 05:53:57 AM

Of course the blocksize change is small, but Core has formed a roadblock, and the Classic/XT/Unlimited team is using reprehensible techniques to try to ram the change through. The struggle is for control of the codebase - ironically it's open source, so the real struggle is for hearts and minds of users, node operators, and miners. Gavin is being a passive aggressive woman. Everyone else on his side of the fence is a nobody with no technical prowess. Core devs are far smarter, better organized, better funded, and are working well together.

If Core devs changed the blocksize right away, they'd be seen as giving in to the horrible tactics. So they have to wait a year to raise the limit.

If you don't have time for drama, trust that logic and patience will win in the end, and move along.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 02:19:38 AM

So, were there any great discoveries or solutions included in these giant walls or are we just trying to keep the Mexicans out?

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 05:10:27 AM

So, were there any great discoveries or solutions included in these giant walls or are we just trying to keep the Mexicans out?

Basically just piles of evidence that Classic is a horrible "solution" that threatens to break bitcoin for nothing.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 06:51:16 PM

Basically just piles of evidence that Classic is a horrible "solution" that threatens to break bitcoin for nothing.

CORE:  50+ Bitcoin specialists, PhDs , Engineers, Programmers, Technicians  and many academic professors support them.

CLASSIC: 2 Bitcoin 'specialists' who havent contributed much to bitcoin over the past years + An army of socialists and shills who want free lunch and free transactions

Let's see which team is more credible.

figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 07:08:05 PM

CORE:  50+ Bitcoin specialists, PhDs , Engineers, Programmers, Technicians  and many academic professors support them.

CLASSIC: 2 Bitcoin 'specialists' who havent contributed much to bitcoin over the past years + An army of socialists and shills who want free lunch and free transactions

Let's see which team is more credible.

i agree. all of the technical experts in the field gravitated to core, openly discuss proposals, have thorough peer review and code debugging. none of that is true of classic.

but i will point out: while i am staunchly on the side of decentralization and unbreakable consensus -- i am actually a socialist politically (to be specific, a market anarchist) so i don't think that it's necessarily political affiliation as much as a base misunderstanding by many (or most) users about how bitcoin works. people have been pushing this "free, instant transactions!" line for years, but it's always been bullshit. transactions have costs and there is no incentive to remain p2p if all costs are externalized to nodes. you either keep the network p2p by paying for it, or you don't, and you lose it.

the biggest problem is that people (predictably) gravitate to talking points without evidence, which is why they gravitate to Gavin -- the "we don't need to plan for worst cases, technology gets better so don't question anything, your criticisms are wrong but i don't need to provide evidence" master.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 08:34:50 PM

but i will point out: while i am staunchly on the side of decentralization and unbreakable consensus -- i am actually a socialist politically (to be specific, a market anarchist) so i don't think that it's necessarily political affiliation as much as a base misunderstanding by many (or most) users about how bitcoin works

When I say socialist, i refer to totalitarian socialists: marxists, leninists, and the rest of them. They want to steal bitcoin from productive people and give them to nonproductive ones.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"  - Marx

This forum and the entire bitcoin community has been infiltrated by heavy leftists, that want to destroy bitcoin, or at least they want to steal bitcoin from rich people and give it to the poor.

I`m not sure why you support leftists, but these kind of lefitsts here are totalitarian.

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 09:15:21 PM

Gavin coding SPV mining into Classic
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1402118.0

Grin Grin Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 10:07:16 PM

Next feature to be coded into Classic will be a button saying "give all your coins to NSA".

And it will be pre-clicked Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 123 »
  Print  

Jump to: