Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:08:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ethOS - Ethereum Mining Platform  (Read 94459 times)
Eliovp
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2016, 02:50:44 PM

Ok i got it  Cheesy
So it is one way --> Windows system with msi afterburner or similar ... 

Thanks for your time Eliovp  Smiley

Of course not - I flash my GPUs to different voltages all the time...

Not only yours  Wink

But it isn't possible like it is with afterburner. You would indeed need to flash them.

kotarius (OP)

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:52:54 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2016, 04:29:33 PM by kotarius

1. So I just have to plug in your SSD in my mining rig and it starts to mine ?

Correct. All you will need to do is to change your pool address. Instructions are available immediately upon boot.

2. no drivers needed?

The current drivers have been tested with AMD HD 7950+ Series and AMD R9 Series, the only series worth buying for large farms. ethOS will not support NVIDIA because large farmers do not buy NVIDIA, it is not cost effective for them.

3. Can i install 'TeamViewer' in order to check my mining activity from my office ?

You can, but not necessary. It is best to ssh to your rigs, or check your mining activity on your pool.

4. Do you use Ubuntu and then you added your custom software ?

The only custom software is the auto-start, hash/temp watchdog scripts, and farm management. However, the point is that deciding which software to use is very important. Since we chose the right software package, there is less risk of incompatibility with different use-cases.

5. Does your software support gpu undervolting ?

Please see here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1341641.msg13695578#msg13695578

6(a) If we have a power cut does the mining starts again automatic ?

If it boots again, it will start mining again. You will need to set your MOBO BIOS to BOOT ON POWER setting. This bios setting change is required for any OS to boot on power, not just ethOS.

6(b). If the SSD fails-crash what am i doing ?

The chances of the ssd failing, but if it happens, you will get a free ethOS copy sent to you via direct download.

7. Do you sell just the ethOS with a download link and how much?

Read How to Get: http://ethereum-mining-calculator.com/ethos/

kotarius (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:59:40 PM

7. I don't think so because than we can all download it and it will get spread more easily and he will lose money. And that is the utter most important thing for him. MONEY.

Heliox, one of the biggest reasons we are not allowing ethOS for direct download is to give the pimp team a chance to come out with their own ethminer OS. I own gpuShack, and if I provide a direct download link and release ethOS for free, I will actually make MORE money (because ethos is sponsored by gpuShack).

If we are not in agreement on this, please contact me privately and we can discuss.
Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 04:29:19 PM

Happy to report that ethOS is able to mine on just 1 gigabyte of system ram:

Code:
07:59 PM root@e5baa6 192.168.10.102 /home/ethos # free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        990772     912996      77776         28       8308     384480
-/+ buffers/cache:     520208     470564
Swap:      4166652     184680    3981972
07:59 PM root@e5baa6 192.168.10.102 /home/ethos # ps uax | grep ethminer
ethos     3965 88.3 43.0 3510844 426176 ?      Sl   19:36  20:48 /usr/bin/ethminer -F weipool.org:5555/0x36dbc08bb0175e6443d03ba40a171e3bb27196d6/100 -G --cl-global-work 16384 --farm-recheck 100
root     15641  0.0  0.2  15944  2144 pts/0    S+   19:59   0:00 grep --color=auto ethminer

This will be useful for large-scale deployments, used 1gb ddr3 sticks can be picked up for $6 on ebay.

Is that 1GB per GPU or 1GB can be used for all the GPU, say 8 GPU? In Windows, we need at least 4 GB to mine Ethereum.
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 04:30:13 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2016, 05:43:57 PM by kotarius

Is that 1GB per GPU or 1GB can be used for all the GPU, say 8 GPU? In Windows, we need at least 4 GB to mine Ethereum.

It is 1GB for the entire system. My test rig is currently mining with 5 GPUs on 1GB of ddr3 ram for the entire system.
zzzzzzzzzz

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 07:57:43 PM

It is 1GB for the entire system. My test rig is currently mining with 5 GPUs on 1GB of ddr3 ram for the entire system.
Must be "chunking" the DAG or swapping a lot (or both)  Smiley
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:44:09 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2016, 06:12:28 PM by kotarius

I apologize for the way that was phrased. I regret my comment.

There is no attempt at competition between ethOS and pimp.

Here are some reasons why someone should use pimp instead of ethOS (As far as I know, the following are features expected in pimp's next release):

• If you need to do NVIDIA mining.
  • If you need wireless network support.
  • If you need browser-based or GUI based management.
  • If you need to mine something other than ethereum.
  • If you need support for solo mining.
  • If you prefer to clone your own usb sticks.
  • If you are a small-scale miner and prefer not to spend any money getting the OS.

Here are some reasons why someone should use ethOS instead of pimp:
  • If you are only interested in mining ethereum.
  • It has a definite release date of february 15th, or earlier.
  • It is backed by gpuShack's financial support, reducing the risk of development stagnation (pimp's last release was late 2014, as of this post).
  • If you have more than a few rigs and prefer not to clone your own boot disks.
  • If you are a mining.gpuShack.com customer, under certain conditions, ethOS is already bundled with the GPUs you buy.
sling00

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:15:38 PM

Hello, for those of you who don't know me, I'm sling00, former lead platform developer for pimp ( From the beginning of its inception, everything past melts second beta, My job was the operating system, scripting, all the backend stuff that makes ati drivers play nice on all the different machines. compiling all 15 different miners, the update system..etc...).  Up until about 4 days ago, thats what I did.  I'm now the lead developer for gpuShack's ethOS.  

To rebut some of the character claims against kotarius, specifically saying he only cares about the money... let me just leave this here from #ethereumos:

kotarius> werwercat sling00 , i have an annoucement regarding the distribution of profit from the revenue associated with the distribution of ethOS. #1. I have decided not to take any profit from it. since profit = revenue - costs, i will only recover costs associated (shipping, $10/ssd, etc)
<kotarius> #2. profit will be distributed among developers who have write access to the google docs dev sheet
<kotarius> #3 developers will earn gpushack profit based on the number of completed action items
<kotarius> from said ethos sales
<kotarius> #4 since weipool is the preferred pool, action items associated with the continued development of this pool can be logged on the dev sheet
<kotarius> #5 developers are themselves responsible for assigning and completing their own action items
<kotarius> that is all
<sling00> #5 = kotarious got tired of me asking him to add items to it for me <- Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Heliox / Eloivp, I tried to contact you the other day, to let you know about kotarius' involvement in pimp development, and the fact that development would have stopped sooner than it did if it weren't for his input, nor would alot of the cooler quality of life features ever seen the light of day without his support and ideas, and my work. I'm not discounting the work lily did on the front end, or melt did managing the project.  Ystarnaud also played a key role in making pimp what it was at the end by fixing sgminers multi algorithm stuffs. Please consider this before you reply.  Also, knowing that english is not your first language, Let me explain that he was not literally calling you melts dog.  It is a figure of speech, when one person sends another person to raise hell at another person its an "attack dog" or an "enforcer".  It does not literally mean you are a dog, nor was he belittling/degrading you.  

It's also sad to me how quickly we all are to turn on each other, when this whole debackle started between pimp and ethos, I tried to defuse the situation, as Kotarius was a friend of mine before pimp, and was the single largest financial contributor to the project through the course of its development, as well as providing us with certain makes of video cards to do specific testing (r9 290 im looking at you.).  Losing my friendship with melt7777 also pains me. However if he is willing to throw away our friendship because of my involvement with ethos, then so be it..  It is my opinion that the pimp projects stagnation, and complacency, as well as melt simply finger pointing every request to a bitcoin feature request page, that the project ended up the way it did, stagnant. I wish the pimp team the best of luck, but i would hope for all of us that you guys can keep it clean and professional.  These are two different products aimed at two different markets, coexistence should not be a problem, and could have been embraced for mutual gains instead of the holy war this has started which leaves mining the community weaker as a whole.
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:52:25 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2016, 08:01:27 AM by kotarius

Happy to report that ethOS will have a global stats panel live and ready with the release of ethOS on February 15th.

I have developed a method to have your rigs report directly to the global stats panel, autogenerate an "account", and also prevent write access to your panel from non-users, all without password management. Since this panel is "read only", there is absolutely no risk of rig takeover resulting from a site-wide compromise.

This panel is meant for large-scale global view of large farms. One feature I hope to add before release: text message alerts for ethOS customers. Text message alerts will alert you if there is a catastrophic loss of hash, rigs going down, etc.
zepaulim

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:11:33 AM

Hello, for those of you who don't know me, I'm sling00, former lead platform developer for pimp ( From the beginning of its inception, everything past melts second beta, My job was the operating system, scripting, all the backend stuff that makes ati drivers play nice on all the different machines. compiling all 15 different miners, the update system..etc...).  Up until about 4 days ago, thats what I did.  I'm now the lead developer for gpuShack's ethOS.  

To rebut some of the character claims against kotarius, specifically saying he only cares about the money... let me just leave this here from #ethereumos:

kotarius> werwercat sling00 , i have an annoucement regarding the distribution of profit from the revenue associated with the distribution of ethOS. #1. I have decided not to take any profit from it. since profit = revenue - costs, i will only recover costs associated (shipping, $10/ssd, etc)
<kotarius> #2. profit will be distributed among developers who have write access to the google docs dev sheet
<kotarius> #3 developers will earn gpushack profit based on the number of completed action items
<kotarius> from said ethos sales
<kotarius> #4 since weipool is the preferred pool, action items associated with the continued development of this pool can be logged on the dev sheet
<kotarius> #5 developers are themselves responsible for assigning and completing their own action items
<kotarius> that is all
<sling00> #5 = kotarious got tired of me asking him to add items to it for me <- Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Heliox / Eloivp, I tried to contact you the other day, to let you know about kotarius' involvement in pimp development, and the fact that development would have stopped sooner than it did if it weren't for his input, nor would alot of the cooler quality of life features ever seen the light of day without his support and ideas, and my work. I'm not discounting the work lily did on the front end, or melt did managing the project.  Ystarnaud also played a key role in making pimp what it was at the end by fixing sgminers multi algorithm stuffs. Please consider this before you reply.  Also, knowing that english is not your first language, Let me explain that he was not literally calling you melts dog.  It is a figure of speech, when one person sends another person to raise hell at another person its an "attack dog" or an "enforcer".  It does not literally mean you are a dog, nor was he belittling/degrading you.  

It's also sad to me how quickly we all are to turn on each other, when this whole debackle started between pimp and ethos, I tried to defuse the situation, as Kotarius was a friend of mine before pimp, and was the single largest financial contributor to the project through the course of its development, as well as providing us with certain makes of video cards to do specific testing (r9 290 im looking at you.).  Losing my friendship with melt7777 also pains me. However if he is willing to throw away our friendship because of my involvement with ethos, then so be it..  It is my opinion that the pimp projects stagnation, and complacency, as well as melt simply finger pointing every request to a bitcoin feature request page, that the project ended up the way it did, stagnant. I wish the pimp team the best of luck, but i would hope for all of us that you guys can keep it clean and professional.  These are two different products aimed at two different markets, coexistence should not be a problem, and could have been embraced for mutual gains instead of the holy war this has started which leaves mining the community weaker as a whole.

Thats good news. I like the concept of this OS. Hassle free. Just plug and play. I wish i could just buy it and download. I do not live in USA, so if i import GPUs from the store i will pay heavy taxes. It is best for me to get the GPUs in my country.

I do not see why it cannot be used for custom home miners. For those comfortable with ssh management that should not be a problem. Right?

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~1440 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 02:19:29 AM

Thats good news. I like the concept of this OS. Hassle free. Just plug and play. I wish i could just buy it and download. I do not live in USA, so if i import GPUs from the store i will pay heavy taxes. It is best for me to get the GPUs in my country.

I do not see why it cannot be used for custom home miners. For those comfortable with ssh management that should not be a problem. Right?

Here you go: http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack/products/ethos-16gb-digital-download
zepaulim

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 04:25:31 AM

Here you go: http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack/products/ethos-16gb-digital-download

Nice! Thank you!  Cool

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~1440 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
Hytech2k

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:28:10 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2016, 04:42:09 PM by Hytech2k

After reading this thread through I felt I needed to post a reply. I have been in computers since back in the Commodore 64 and TRS-80 days, i'm not a stranger to PC's at all, messed with DOS a bit but never Linux, I would consider myself a Windows power user.

I got interested in mining back a few months ago. After playing with a couple ASIC miners for a bit and getting comfortable with SSH and basic Linux commands I stumbled across Ethereum and decided I wanted to build a GPU rig and try my hand at GPU mining. I bought a used Sapphire R9 280x card off Ebay (lesson learned, never buy someones "lightly used" wore out junk) and built a small one GPU rig. After doing alot of research it seems that Linux is the more efficient stable way to go when GPU mining.

After fighting with Ubuntu for days and wasting hours and hours following guides that were either incomplete or outdated, I finally got it working, well somewhat, had freezing errors and artifacting, i'm sure it was probably a driver or something, but I had enough. I finally went back to my comfort zone with Win 7 and set it up that way, everything is working well now. But with the price increase in Ethereum I am expanding my little rig with a couple more GPU cards and still really want to try Linux mining to compare against Windows. I for one am glad someone came out with a plug and play version for mining Ethereum, I will gladly pay $39 for something that works, I lost much than $39 in wasted time just screwing around trying to piece together a version that worked. It's funny how people will pay thousands of dollars for hardware but whine about 39 bucks for a ready to go piece of software, baffles me...

Anyway I wish I stumbled across the GPU shack before I bought my last card on Ebay and wasted all that time trying to learn a ton of Linux commands and scripts. Also as for Ether going POS and mining drying up, there is already a Dagger clone coin called Expanse that's out you can mine, Dwarf already has a pool setup for it, and i'm sure there will be a few more to follow so I don't see this software or these cards being totally out of date and not usable anytime in the near future...

Rather than bitch and complain, give back to the mining community with a GOOD UPDATED WORKING step by step guide to setup mining on a Linux system for those of us who aren't Linux power users, till then i'm glad Alex and company put EthOS together. Just my 2 cents

Thanks Alex, looking forward to trying out those cards and software....

Hytechminer
NORWUSA

Activity: 73

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 04:23:57 PM

So how is it going ?
Did someone bought the software ?
Does it worth ?
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 04:49:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Here is an example of a live stats panel!

http://337652.ethosdistro.com/

Click the temperature readings under "temps" column for historical data.

We have an update system in place for all customers. New releases are super easy to roll out to existing installations, no need for buying new copies. Version 1.0 has released February 15th, and we are working on version 1.0.1 now!
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 05:19:26 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2016, 05:48:56 AM by kotarius

I'm seriously laughing my ass off.

First of all, i own 150 GPU's, so in your point of view, I AM the target market.

Second, those that bought a copy wlil soon realise that when the hype is over, you won't be there to support them.
Neither will there magical OS work with any other "new" coin. Well not out of the box. Than what?

The only thing you're thinking about is how much you can/are (going) make with this.

Greedyness. It's a filthy disease.

You know, I thought something was familiar. I know a lot of big miners. When you said you had 150 GPUs, I tried to find out who you are, thinking maybe I can buy GPUs from you.

Are you all the same person? (Heliox/Eliovp/ldw-com) http://imgur.com/a/ktl5U
Eliovp
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 06:22:18 AM

First of all, i own 150 GPU's, so in your point of view, I AM the target market.

Second, those that bought a copy wlil soon realise that when the hype is over, you won't be there to support them.
Neither will there magical OS work with any other "new" coin. Well not out of the box. Than what?

The only thing you're thinking about is how much you can/are (going) make with this.

You know, I thought something was familiar. I know a lot of big miners. When you said you had 150 GPUs, I tried to find out who you are, thinking maybe I can buy GPUs from you.

Yup, I should show people some screenshots here of how you call me names on IRC.. So people could see how you really are.

Heliox = IRC
Eliovp = Here
ldw-com = work

Even if i had 200 other accounts. So?

Grow up.. big baby

densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 06:31:23 AM

Nice Info i am watching first  Smiley
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:31:35 AM

We have sold 95 ethOS this month. Today, I have shipped 50 preloaded ethOS SSDs to a 50-rig miner. Will be cool to see ethOS deployed on a farm bigger than my own Smiley

If any big miners need ethOS and need to save a bit of money for their deployment, contact me at the contact info at the bottom of this page: http://gpushack.com/ . I can offer discounts in exchange for hardware (GPUs, SSDs, RAM).

gpuShack has also started selling MOBO/CPU/RAM/SSD hardware bundles, ideal for 5-gpu rig deployments. Socket AM3 is currently the most economical way to deploy large-scale.

http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack/products/mobo-cpu-ram-ssd-combo
kotarius (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:14:41 PM

Yup, I should show people some screenshots here of how you call me names on IRC.. So people could see how you really are.

Heliox = IRC
Eliovp = Here
ldw-com = work

Even if i had 200 other accounts. So?

Grow up.. big baby

I am perfectly fine with you using multiple accounts, although not sure why (do you perhaps forget your password every time you go to work?). The problem is when you use those accounts to shill for each other and pretend to be different users, as you have done here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: