April 26, 2024, 09:26:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: best coin on the market?
VERGE - 294 (40.8%)
XVG - 427 (59.2%)
Total Voters: 721

Pages: « 1 ... 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 [547] 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 ... 667 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [$XVG] VERGE [POW][MultiAlgo][TOR/i2P][no premine/ico!]  (Read 843547 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (51 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
hakatu

Activity: 88
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:41:12 PM

It is rumored that the Verge network was "attacked 51%".
Every second a new block was generated and hackers got a bunch of free XVGs .
can the team comment on this?

the timestamps had 1s intervals, but were not necessarily entered in the chain, in 1 second intervals. the timestamps were spoofed. it was not a 51% attack. we just made an update and sent it out to the pools and exchanges.

we are now working on a more enhanced block verification procedure, which will be pushed (most likely) tomorrow.

I forget the block number, but fork happening soon.

Was this hack as bad as the people telling.  XVG blockchain needing forks to fix this meaning the current blockchain it has isn't safe from hackers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giantkin

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:43:42 PM

(no tech skill)
   i dont think it was the...block , it only affected mining side.
  it was spoofing the timestamp in such a way to ...get the rewards.
done from a pool.  (again, as far as i understand it)

http://choicehost.biz  Domains and DIY -hosting   I save $5 or so, for each domain a year.  (Compared to other Domain Registrars)
m3ndi3

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:45:26 PM

Crypto business is definitely an investment without any guarantees whatsoever, if you cannot stand dropping go take action else.
giantkin

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:45:38 PM

Dev was on it fast, got the codes setup in 3hrs of it.
after that the attacks were harder?

Dev posted a few posts back.

http://choicehost.biz  Domains and DIY -hosting   I save $5 or so, for each domain a year.  (Compared to other Domain Registrars)
giantkin

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:47:08 PM

It is rumored that the Verge network was "attacked 51%".
Every second a new block was generated and hackers got a bunch of free XVGs .
can the team comment on this?

the timestamps had 1s intervals, but were not necessarily entered in the chain, in 1 second intervals. the timestamps were spoofed. it was not a 51% attack. we just made an update and sent it out to the pools and exchanges.

we are now working on a more enhanced block verification procedure, which will be pushed (most likely) tomorrow.

there it is

nrg_wolf
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 02:22:14 PM

sharing this from grant hunter.... worth the read.

VERGE XVG ‘MINING ATTACK’ UPDATE:

This has just been shared with The Crypteia Program, and after a lengthy conversation with Michael Sloggett earlier, we all decided it was very important to release this to the wider community as part of a unified message.

This is the facts as much as we know them at this stage, it is up to you to DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and plan accordingly.

In terms of trading, Verge XVG has been trading epically since the news about the upcoming industry partnership: It has a huge, dedicated following and gets the volume needed to trade and make serious gains. It’s been traded very technically; hitting the fibs, support, resistance and trend lines.

Unfortunately, this attack on Verge’s blockchain exploits a flaw in the code, so that the person who is attacking, has effectively taken over the blockchain, and made the original one obsolete for the time being.

As of this morning, the vulnerability is still there and there have been two main attacks:

1- Blocks 2007365 - 2010039 = 2674 blocks.
Rounded down to 2500 @ 1560 XVG per block = approx 3.9 million XVG
2- Blocks 2014060 - 2026196 = 12,136 blocks
Rounded down to 10k @ 1560 XVG per block = approx 15.6 million XVG

This gives a conservative estimate of 19.5 million XVG

As stated previously, this attack exploits a flaw in the code which XVG uses to switch between each one of the 5 algorithms it uses for mining. For every new block to be mined, the algorithm must be switched, and all 5 must be used in rotation. (This is something that other coins like Myriad and Digibyte use. They have also been attacked in a similar way in the past, and have fixed their issues - although they were experiencing much less volume at the time as what Verge is now).

The exploit itself is very smart. The attacker has used the flaws in Verge’s code to put an older timestamp on their fake blocks to trick the network into thinking that the fake chain is the real one, by having this broadcast to over 51% of the nodes. They have gained consensus, effectively taking control of the XVG chain. This has meant that the ‘real’ blocks being mined by legitimate miners, are seen as the false ones, and therefore are ignored (orphaned).

The reason why trading is still possible, is because the ‘fake’ chain is still verifying transactions so people can still trade the coin, however, the attacker is adding extra blocks and making extra free XVG for themselves.

This is a summary of events of how this situation has been handled by OCMINER and Sunerok of Verge during this situation:

1) OCMINER (Supernova Mining Pools) approached verge dev team in their discord group after noticing the issue in their pool.
2) This was unsuccessful, and nothing was taken further at that stage by the verge dev team.
3) OCMINER then posted details of the attack onto Bitcointalk.org, in order to alert the wider mining community of the attack.
3) Verge dev then got involved, and attacked OCMINER for advertising the issue and making the problem worse.
4) Verge dev then attempted to fix the issue by copying and pasting a fix for Peercoin into Verge.
5) This piece of code had a flaw which wasn’t picked up on and this caused the issues yesterday where wallets wouldn’t sync, and the real blocks were still be ignored by the chain.
6) A new fix was suggested by OCMINER to Verge Dev, which included:

- New code to fix the flaw (from DGB - which would need to be merged with Verge’s code in the correct places as they are slightly different).
- A method to blacklist the malicious addresses - meaning the attacker could no longer use the coins they falsely mined.

7) During this time there has been a private discussion between OCMINER and Sunerok, which was fairly heated at times, and saw no resolution between the two.

At this stage, there has been no fix implemented. The vulnerability is still open and the attacker still controls the longest chain.

FYI - Attacks, hacks and exploitations are very common. These have been going on since the late 70’s when UK and US intelligence agencies invented cryptography as a way to communicate secretly with each other. This situation should be seen as a good thing - simply for the advancement that it leads to. After every attack, the code is made stronger, however:

The most important part of this type of situation is how the dev team respond to it, because it has the potential to cause havoc. Both in terms of public perception (trust) of Cryptocurrency, and for Verge itself.

Remember there are two sides to this market - the facts and the PR. Verge is a PR machine, and its following is fanatical in its belief of the project. Up to now, the PR is working, and the price hasn’t been too negatively affected. One reason for this is that most of the comments about on this attack on Verge social media (twitter / reddit) are being censored by Verge, and the information being put out by Verge isn’t wholly accurate in terms of the seriousness of the matter.

With the upcoming announcement of the ‘new industry partnership’ being rumoured as being a German Bank, this issue if not resolved effectively, could lose them the partnership and reduce public trust in both crypto and Verge, simply because it will be seen as another failure.

In terms of the actual privacy of the coin, the maliciously mined coins can be tracked using a blockexplorer - bringing into question the legitimacy of the how private the blockchain currently is.

I have absolutely no idea which way this will go - either way it’s not good.

There is potential for it to be fixed and with the strength of the Verge community, the price of the coin could still maintain its action in the run up to the partnership announcement.

There is equally as much chance that this could implode bringing Verge to its knees and seeing a mass sell off of the coin, leaving many out of pocket.

My aim with posting this is to inform and give everyone the opportunity to look into this further themselves, make whatever decisions they want regarding any Verge XVG they currently hold.

This post is a summary of the thread linked below and all details of this situation are there, with all links to relevant sites to verify the information given. Please look into this further, and learn as much as you can, so you are as informed as you want to be:

giantkin

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 02:29:10 PM

it was also widely discussed that OCMiner didnt say who he was, when he went into the public discord channel, and started spouting off.

It is all based on perspective.

Im sure the real truth is inbetween there somewhere.

patches are being made, certain block will have a fork.

just use the K.I.S.S. method.

R-J-F

Activity: 1078
Merit: 310

AKA RJF - Member since '13

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 02:38:37 PM

sharing this from grant hunter.... worth the read.

VERGE XVG ‘MINING ATTACK’ UPDATE:

This has just been shared with The Crypteia Program, and after a lengthy conversation with Michael Sloggett earlier, we all decided it was very important to release this to the wider community as part of a unified message.

- SNIP -

This post is a summary of the thread linked below and all details of this situation are there, with all links to relevant sites to verify the information given. Please look into this further, and learn as much as you can, so you are as informed as you want to be:

When a coin project grows to this stage and value, it's is time to put away the childish defense of ego and self and step back to view the bigger picture, the protection of the investors and users. If what you are saying is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, the Dev here needs to step up and fix this NOW if it hasn't been already done. As a programmer and software/network engineer, I can understand the reluctance of plugging in someone else's code or, implementing another Dev's fix but, the future and security of the coin/project MUST take precedence over ego and self.

Let's get this fixed so we can move on before it's too late...  DISCLAIMER: I hold XVG and therefore have a large self interest in seeing this project succeed.

P.S. This not a "dig" against the developers, we all react differently in these situations, no one is perfect and information never transfers without errors of omission when humans are involved.  Grin

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
sergsvar

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 05:09:24 PM

Welcome to our pool, 0% fee two weeks verge blake2s added
http://impulsemine.xyz
VQ

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 05:40:40 PM

Yeah right!  Verge moved up to #8 in coin gecko!  https://www.coingecko.com/en
umine.org

Activity: 130
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 06:16:12 PM

Umine.org official Verge X17 pool list.
https://vergecurrency.com/community/xvg-mining-pools/

Code:
-a x17 -o stratum+tcp://s.umine.org:3737 -u WALLET_ADDRESS -p c=XVG

https://umine.org/

Low fee 0.5%.
Payouts are made automatically every 1 hours for all balances above 0.1, or 0.01 on Sunday*.

HarryAnsour

Activity: 134
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:29:39 PM

I love this coin and its community. its good to see other devs opinions and care for the future of crypto market. i hope some of you guys are sending private messages to xvg dev for some suggestions. as a trader or investor in this market, thank you so much for your involvement.

here is my technologically blind, investors opinion.
Looking at the entire market, xvg is one of the few coins that's keeping up with Bitcoins bloodshed. averaging 800 sats, XVGs BTC price is in the very good stand. the way I'm looking at this, is if by any chance BTC drops down majorly and xvg manages to stay above $0.05, we will profit majorly via BTC. but if  BTC rises back up to it's highest peak and xvg manages to stay above  800 sats, then we'll gain strongly via USD.

i'm holding, i know the third option is possible as well, but the involvement of so many devs in this community, gives me strong confidence.
thanks again.
Nokio2010

Activity: 65

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2018, 08:33:35 PM

x17 and Myriad-Groestl
http://poolovich.pro/images/poolovich.iMlG0.png

http://poolovich.pro

Code:
-a myr-gr -o stratum+tcp://pool.poolovich.pro:5034 -u YOUR_WALLET -p c=XVG

Code:
-a x17 -o stratum+tcp://pool.poolovich.pro:3737 -u YOUR_WALLET -p c=XVGX

https://discord.gg/SKpRsbR
Low fee 0.5%, dedicated powerfull server, Super stable connection.
DDoS Protection
M0ndialu

Activity: 819
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2018, 09:17:02 PM

x17 mining work good or no ?  Huh

umine.org

Activity: 130
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:56:01 PM

x17 mining work good or no ?  Huh

Mining is work.

Code:
-a x17 -o stratum+tcp://s.umine.org:3737 -u WALLET_ADDRESS -p c=XVG
Premiermine

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2018, 11:11:42 PM

After many hours it seems that our pool has returned to synchronize entire blockchain, mining works again, we will see what happens now with the fork.

XVG - Blake2s

https://premiumminer.com
ccminer: -a blake2s -o stratum+tcp://mine.premiumminer.com:5766 -u <WALLET_ADDRESS> -p c=XVG
claymore: -o stratum+tcp://mine.premiumminer.com:5766 -dwal <WALLET_ADDRESS> -dpsw c=XVG
FLoving

Activity: 1022
Merit: 521

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:45:02 PM

I love this coin and its community. its good to see other devs opinions and care for the future of crypto market. i hope some of you guys are sending private messages to xvg dev for some suggestions. as a trader or investor in this market, thank you so much for your involvement.

here is my technologically blind, investors opinion.
Looking at the entire market, xvg is one of the few coins that's keeping up with Bitcoins bloodshed. averaging 800 sats, XVGs BTC price is in the very good stand. the way I'm looking at this, is if by any chance BTC drops down majorly and xvg manages to stay above $0.05, we will profit majorly via BTC. but if  BTC rises back up to it's highest peak and xvg manages to stay above  800 sats, then we'll gain strongly via USD.

i'm holding, i know the third option is possible as well, but the involvement of so many devs in this community, gives me strong confidence.
thanks again.

fter seeing the market of this coin and seeing the support of the investors and other supporters in this situation I got that the community of this coin is really great. I found that this coin worth to get a partnership for which the developers were much happy and which not any other coin can get. As I am evident that in the past when Ethereum faced an issue of hack then the price was dropped too much and when any bad news comes in bitcoin then the price of bitcoin drops deeper but a bad news in Verge did not harm it and the rise in the price continuous today and it is increasing more and more with time.
boxalex

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 12:00:01 AM

Nice to see you begun to add a warning on your twitter messages about the scams, even i see it only on 1 of your twitter messages so far.

Seriously, such warnings will help the community and your followers NOT to fall into a scam trap. If you now add this to every official announcement you make i'am pretty sure your whole community will thank you for that and you have helped a lot of people not to get scammed by these scam thieves!!!
crypt0kid

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 01:25:53 AM

Nice to see you begun to add a warning on your twitter messages about the scams, even i see it only on 1 of your twitter messages so far.

Seriously, such warnings will help the community and your followers NOT to fall into a scam trap. If you now add this to every official announcement you make i'am pretty sure your whole community will thank you for that and you have helped a lot of people not to get scammed by these scam thieves!!!

Everyone should know by now that you don't get something for nothing. If you feel like testing your luck, send me 10 ETH and I will send you 1 ETH in return. Maybe you will get lucky and I will send you back 2 ETH Grin

Get the hottest crypto on MXC: https://www.mxc.ai/auth/signup?inviteCode=13rup
Pantostao

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 03:03:11 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2018, 03:13:32 AM by Pantostao

wtf is happening with the "orphan" blocks?

Is the attack still going??? yiimp pool is getting 50% of the blocks as "orphan"
Pages: « 1 ... 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 [547] 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 ... 667 »
  Print  

Jump to: