Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:55:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Steemit.com: Blogging is the new Mining  (Read 348305 times)
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 02:02:58 PM

I have a beginner (or idiot?) question, does Steem store articles in their blockchain or in an SQL database?

on the blockchain

To clarify, the text of articles and comments is on the blockchain. Any embedded media is stored as links. This makes the storage requirements not absurd, as most times the text itself is fairly small. In theory it is highly compressible too, though I'm not sure if the current implementation does that.

I tried a few compression schemes on the blockchain a few days ago (blockchain size ~2gb). Results showed a reduction to 0.8gb -1.1gb, depending the compression scheme (tried lrzip, bzip2, gzip - lrzip had the biggest savings but it's also the slowest, gzip less compression but fastest).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
serejandmyself

Activity: 1203
Merit: 508

Manager of looking busy #citizencosmos

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 03:13:32 PM

is there still a chance to earn steem if I get to start writing there?
I'm curious to see how much i would be earning if I write one article per week to which I will also be promoting my own blog. is it allowed as well to link our own blog in the articles?

This is not a ponzi pump and dump if thats what you are refering to.

Please be aware before posting to look around. See what articles make it popular.

Have a read on what markdown is (what you use to format posts in on steem i.e. https://steemit.com/steem/@xeldal/how-to-liven-up-your-steem-posts-with-markdown)

Dont expect to earn from you rfirst post, rather join the rocket chat https://steemit.chat , there are plenty of public chanels to promote your content there.

Game of Links

cyber~license©
Blazin8888

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 07:17:23 PM

Only 2 coins that are worth buying are STEEM/XMR in my opinion. - both are backed now by strong economics - steem social economy backing ...and XMR....some darker entities now backing it;)...and I expect some other "light side of moon news" to come as well eventually now.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 08:02:13 PM

is there still a chance to earn steem if I get to start writing there?
I'm curious to see how much i would be earning if I write one article per week to which I will also be promoting my own blog. is it allowed as well to link our own blog in the articles?

This is not a ponzi pump and dump if thats what you are refering to.

Please be aware before posting to look around. See what articles make it popular.

Have a read on what markdown is (what you use to format posts in on steem i.e. https://steemit.com/steem/@xeldal/how-to-liven-up-your-steem-posts-with-markdown)

Dont expect to earn from you rfirst post, rather join the rocket chat https://steemit.chat , there are plenty of public chanels to promote your content there.

note, there are currently more than 2000 accounts on the chat, so the community is pretty strong!

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:10:21 PM

I have a beginner (or idiot?) question, does Steem store articles in their blockchain or in an SQL database?

on the blockchain

To clarify, the text of articles and comments is on the blockchain. Any embedded media is stored as links. This makes the storage requirements not absurd, as most times the text itself is fairly small. In theory it is highly compressible too, though I'm not sure if the current implementation does that.

I tried a few compression schemes on the blockchain a few days ago (blockchain size ~2gb). Results showed a reduction to 0.8gb -1.1gb, depending the compression scheme (tried lrzip, bzip2, gzip - lrzip had the biggest savings but it's also the slowest, gzip less compression but fastest).

That indicates to me the content is probably not being compressed, or the transaction encoding is pretty loose (most transactions are votes), or both. That's a pretty high compression ratio for a blockchain considering that signatures and hashes aren't compressible. I guess that leaves room for improvement in the future.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:17:22 AM

When will you guys have invites back up to using slack steemit as had an account and now longer have due to the attack that happened a while back and cant seem to find anywhere or info i you guys going to have invites back up to going slack channel. Hoping devs or core team can help thx.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:31:37 AM

on the blockchain

Except the storage requirements, the RAM requirements can easily become a problem... Currently it eats huge chunk of RAM on my machine (around 8Gb), and it grows fast lately! It is still bearable, but with this kind of grow rate, running a daemon could become not affordable for a regular user PC soon. I indeed see this a big potential problem. Do you know if anything is done to address this?

... this space is not for rent ...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:48:21 AM

on the blockchain

Except the storage requirements, the RAM requirements can easily become a problem... Currently it eats huge chunk of RAM on my machine (around 8Gb), and it grows fast lately! It is still bearable, but with this kind of grow rate, running a daemon could become not affordable for a regular user PC soon. I indeed see this a big potential problem. Do you know if anything is done to address this?

You can run in low-memory mode, which reduces memory requirements to about 2 GB currently. Add -DLOW_MEMORY_NODE=ON -DENABLE_CONTENT_PATCHING=OFF to cmake when building it. Also disable the account_history_plugin (in config file) unless you need it.

Over time it is definitely going to require high end hardware to run a node. Most users (if not using the web site) will need to be using remote nodes with thin clients.

When will you guys have invites back up to using slack steemit as had an account and now longer have due to the attack that happened a while back and cant seem to find anywhere or info i you guys going to have invites back up to going slack channel. Hoping devs or core team can help thx.

chat has been moved from slack to rocket chat: https://steemit.chat
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:54:20 AM

on the blockchain

You can run in low-memory mode, which reduces memory requirements to about 2 GB currently. Add -DLOW_MEMORY_NODE=ON -DENABLE_CONTENT_PATCHING=OFF to cmake when building it. Also disable the account_history_plugin (in config file) unless you need it.

Over time it is definitely going to require high end hardware to run a node. Most users (if not using the web site) will need to be using remote nodes with thin clients.

chat has been moved from slack to rocket chat: https://steemit.chat

cool thx for the info Smiley

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:38:10 AM

on the blockchain

That indicates to me the content is probably not being compressed, or the transaction encoding is pretty loose (most transactions are votes), or both. That's a pretty high compression ratio for a blockchain considering that signatures and hashes aren't compressible. I guess that leaves room for improvement in the future.

Definitely not compressed... https://steemit.com/steemit/@alexgr/have-you-ever-wondered-what-your-post-looks-like-while-stored-in-the-steem-blockchain
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 04:38:10 AM

Question regarding mining. When mining to use multiple names for when one is busy do I need to create multiple steemit accounts or can I use names that are not in use and use same WIF private key used for name of miner and key?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 08:53:09 AM

Question regarding mining. When mining to use multiple names for when one is busy do I need to create multiple steemit accounts or can I use names that are not in use and use same WIF private key used for name of miner and key?

You can use new names. The account will be created when you mine a PoW. I don't know about using the same keys. In theory I think it should work. I always used different keys when I was mining.
RayX12

Activity: 952
Merit: 552

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 11:45:56 AM

I hope some nice whale decides to pump this soon... It appears that it is being accumulated but some big holder (s) continue to dump this at any strength...  why??  It is such a neat execution of a real life application of crypto.
xtester

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:16:12 PM

An Open Letter To The Community: In Defense Of Inequality: https://steemit.com/steemit/@xtester/an-open-letter-to-the-community-in-defense-of-inequality
RayX12

Activity: 952
Merit: 552

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:39:28 PM

Wow!  Here are some super interesting views "pro and con" about Steem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9PWO8flSp4
reb0rn21
Legendary

Activity: 1897
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:55:22 PM

I also want to confirm that high SSD usage was fixed with adding more RAM to the mining virtual sistem, also looks like after fixing POW mining exploits the estimated time to produce a block is way more adequate
I am not a poster, and don`t like to write crap in my bad english, when i do have some unique tutorial i will for sure post, and in the mean time I will mine only

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█
 ▄  █▀   █ ▀█▄      ▀   ▀      ▄█▀ █  ▄▀█  ▄
 █▄▀  █  █                         █  █  ▀▄█
 ▀▄  █   ▀█        ▄▄▀▄▀▄▄        █▀   █  ▄
  ▀▄▀▀  █▄ █     ▀█  ▀▀▀  █▀     █ ▄█ ▄▀▀▄▀
   ▀ ▄  ██ █▀▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀     ▄▀█ ██ ▀▄ ▀
    ▀█  ██ █ █▀▄    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▀█ █ ██  █▀
      ▀▄ ▀ █ █ ██▄         ▄██ █ █ ▀ ▄▀
        ▀▄ █ █ █ ▀█▄     ▄█▀ █ █ █ ▄▀
          ▀▀▄█ █    ▀▀▀▀▀    █ █▄▀▀
              ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀

..I  D  E  N  A..

Proof-of-Person Blockchain

Join the mining of the first human-centric
cryptocurrency

▲    2 3 2 2

..N  O  D  E  S..

██
                ██
                ██
                ██
                ██
         ▄      ██      ▄
         ███▄   ██   ▄███
          ▀███▄ ██ ▄███▀
            ▀████████▀
              ▀████▀
                ▀▀
██▄                            ▄██
███                            ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀

D O W N L O A D

Idena node

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀        ▀▀█████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀███
███      █   ▄▄ █▀▄        ███
██▀      █  ███ █  ▀▄      ▀██
███       █   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀█       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
██▄      █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █      ▄██
███      █          █      ███
███▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███
████▄                ▄████
▀█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▀
▀▀████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀

.REQUEST INVITATION.
tuvok007
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 06:57:22 PM

I still can not fucking believe it, i was in a bus today in my hometown Zagreb,Croatia and I saw a billboard commercial on the avenue about steemit.WTF  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 07:45:05 PM

I still can not fucking believe it, i was in a bus today in my hometown Zagreb,Croatia and I saw a billboard commercial on the avenue about steemit.WTF  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

LOL could you post a picture?

raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 01:22:29 AM

I hope some nice whale decides to pump this soon... It appears that it is being accumulated but some big holder (s) continue to dump this at any strength...  why??  It is such a neat execution of a real life application of crypto.

it will eventually happen, steem was overbought and still didn't find the bottom... lets hope it's close.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 01:28:48 AM

LOL could you post a picture?

I, too, was driving around and saw a billboard. And, you, too, can see it and more via driving around Google images.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 156 »
  Print  

Jump to: