Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:20:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinChoose - alternative site to show respective profitability of the alt coins  (Read 150544 times)
manywelps

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:30:11 AM

All of the coins from Cryptsy disappeared, maybe they changed their API?
kevindeangelis

Activity: 448
Merit: 130

3D-Printing goes Blockchain!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:03:12 AM

All of the coins from Cryptsy disappeared, maybe they changed their API?

Yeah, I noticed that with coinchoose too.

Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:01:12 PM

I really hope these coins don't come back, the community really needs to set some standards and discourage scam coins and I'd encourage sal002 to set standards for inclusion of a coin above the technical ability to scrap a price, but rather to limit CoinChoose to coins with dedicated development teams (as in more then one person) who can at the very least put out updates that incorporate BTC updates, no coin can possibly exist long-term without that.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
bizz

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:17:13 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 12:42:09 PM by bizz

Just use: Edit: It wasn't intentional so removed competitors link.

If removing all coins from cryptsy was intentional I don't understand that move.
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:37:39 PM

I really hope these coins don't come back, the community really needs to set some standards and discourage scam coins and I'd encourage sal002 to set standards for inclusion of a coin above the technical ability to scrap a price, but rather to limit CoinChoose to coins with dedicated development teams (as in more then one person) who can at the very least put out updates that incorporate BTC updates, no coin can possibly exist long-term without that.

FWIW my own robots don't switch to a coin if there's no exchange with enough bids to sell 20 times my daily production at a profitability above any other coin.
I've not been left with coins to dump at prices a fraction of the advertised price when the miners switched since then.

You should study the rate of orphans too. Coins advertising "near instant payment confirmations" aren't viable at all. For example Worldcoin produces only 52% valid blocks for me.
I'm not entirely sure why some coins have such success too: Litecoin is only 55% as profitable for me as Bitcoin mining when you merge-mine Namecoin/Ixcoin/Devcoin. I'm a little below ideal scrypt profitability (one of my rigs runs Xubuntu 13.04 which I suspect is 15% less efficient on scrypt than 12.04) but even if I fixed this rig I can't even expect to reach 60% currently.
I suspect most people mining scrypt-based coins don't monitor their power consumption and compute its cost...

In the end unless these coins find any use that Bitcoin can't fulfill they are only good for speculation. Even Litecoin the largest of them which promised faster confirmations as an advantage isn't used for any service I know of that could not be (or isn't already) provided with Bitcoin.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
sal002 (OP)

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 12:38:50 PM

It was due to the new API and now all coins are back.  However, I have been debating a bit what to do with Cryptsy - could I get a poll of whether I should continue to use the top price (as CoinWarz does) or weigh the prices a bit (as I am doing right now)?  Right now, I need the orders to add up to a set amount of BTC / LTC so that small blips can't throw off the price.  

Any additional thoughts?
sal002 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 12:40:31 PM

I can fully understand the concern.  However, all CoinChoose is out is to present the data that is available today and let the users decide which coins to mine.  I try to give as much data as possible.

I do average Cryptsy prices for now to try to get a more accurate / conservative picture (after all, by the time you mine, part of the trades already occurred).
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:45:07 PM

your page will be filled very soon, instead why not divide the page into two tabs, mainstream coins and experimental. It'll make your site look more professional and avoid this mess of coin skipping based on that data. If the coins are seperated like that it also makes it easier to use different methods to calculate profitability.
sal002 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 12:47:36 PM

your page will be filled very soon, instead why not divide the page into two tabs, mainstream coins and experimental. It'll make your site look more professional and avoid this mess of coin skipping based on that data. If the coins are seperated like that it also makes it easier to use different methods to calculate profitability.

Well - do I do that to the API as well?  I have a litecoin parameter to the aPI to be based on litecoin functionality - maybe also have a "mainstream" flag,
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:48:44 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 01:08:28 PM by gyverlb

It was due to the new API and now all coins are back.  However, I have been debating a bit what to do with Cryptsy - could I get a poll of whether I should continue to use the top price (as CoinWarz does) or weigh the prices a bit (as I am doing right now)?  Right now, I need the orders to add up to a set amount of BTC / LTC so that small blips can't throw off the price.  

Any additional thoughts?

If you read my previous post, you already know my opinion: if there's not enough bids to absorb the miner's production there's no point in a bid's rate.

What you could do is monitor the volume of trades for each coin on all exchanges and set a threshold based on that (ie: compute how much you'll get by selling 0.1% of the total trade volume for a week).

Coins with very long maturation times have higher risks too: in the end you only offer an instant snapshot and can't guess how much a miner will be able to sell matured coins for.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
sal002 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 12:52:10 PM

Any additional thoughts?

If you read my previous post, you already know my opinion: if there's not enough bids to absorb the miner's production there's no point in a bid's rate.

What you could do is monitor the volume of trades for each coin on all exchanges and set a threshold based on that (ie: compute how much you'll get by selling 0.1% of the total trade volume for a week).

Coins with very long maturation times have higher risks too: in the end you only offer an instant snapshot and can't guess how much a miner will be able to sell matured coins.

Good idea.  Right now I do basically require enough for a block to count the trade (at least on Cryptsy), but that is a good additional thought
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:56:50 PM

Well - do I do that to the API as well?  I have a litecoin parameter to the aPI to be based on litecoin functionality - maybe also have a "mainstream" flag,

I don't know how you did it in the first place but if you divide into two, you could theoretically make two requests (aPI) one from each tab, each asking for specific coins to display on it's tab.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:19:48 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 05:50:53 PM by digitalindustry

Sal

How about this:

make a Tab(S) at the top of the page .

and split them basically into volume -

high volume

low volume

Graveyard

its completely fair that way.

and it helps traders as well - you can keep everything exactly as it is that way - but just split them on volume - then if a currency suddenly gains volume for a consistent amount of time have it move auto from one Tab to the next tab you can screw around with all those parameters.

Then the site will look nice a neat -(more room for your ads) (and you could make all those icons bigger !!!1) have the high volume tab load by default . users can click the low volume and graveyard tab if they want.

** you will find that the dead currencies will slower and slower in trading , then you could move the ones that consistently don’t have a buy or sell order  to tab - Graveyard.

this way your home  page will always look nice and neat and the graveyard will fill up with Hazards coins.  the other genius point about it is you won't piss anyone off ,and/or lose traffic , even the most addicted Alt-addict can come to your site and set the gravyard to thier home if they want ha ha .(have that page fill down the screen- break it with more ads)  < thanks i'm a genius. i know.

** if people try to manipulate thier alt by putting in small orders to get volume up - just adjust you threshold param< so that they have to spend signifigant cost in fees to do that. < = pointless for a dead currency.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
bizz

Activity: 492

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:18:32 PM

Sal

How about this:

high volume

low volume

Graveyard

and it helps traders as well - you can keep everything exactly as it that way - but just split them on volume - then if a currency suddenly gains volume for a consistent amount of time have it move auto from one Tab to the next tab you can screw around with all those parameters.

Then the site will look nice a neat -(more room for your ads)  have the high volume tab load by default . users can click the low volume and graveyard tab if they want.

** you will find that the dead currencies will slower and slower in trading , then you could move the ones that consistently don’t have a buy or sell order  to tab - Graveyard.

this way your home  page will always look nice and neat and the graveyard will fill up with Hazards coins.  the other genius point about it is you won't piss anyone off ,and/or lose traffic , even the most addicted Alt-addict can come to your site and set the gravyard to thier home if they want ha ha .(have that page fill down the screen- break it with more ads)  < thanks i'm a genius. i know.

** if people try to manipulate thier alt by putting in small orders to get volume up - just adjust you threshold param< so that they have to spend signifigant cost in fees to do that. < = pointless for a dead currency.

^This. 100%. High volumes would be like blue chips or premier league. I'm never for banning or ignoring any coin, markets will sort out bad from good apples by themselves. Otherwise we're no different from govs and central banks..
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:33:22 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 04:10:57 PM by digitalindustry

premier league lol yeah that's excatly what i was thinking when i came up with it . ha ha

TY.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
kevindeangelis

Activity: 448
Merit: 130

3D-Printing goes Blockchain!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:02:49 PM

It was due to the new API and now all coins are back.  
you rock!

digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 05:32:18 AM

Where are you Sal ?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
sal002 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 01:06:34 PM

Where are you Sal ?

right here....why ?
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 02:20:59 PM

Sal

How about this:

high volume

low volume

Graveyard

and it helps traders as well - you can keep everything exactly as it is that way - but just split them on volume - then if a currency suddenly gains volume for a consistent amount of time have it move auto from one Tab to the next tab you can screw around with all those parameters.

Then the site will look nice a neat -(more room for your ads) (and you could make all those icons bigger !!!1) have the high volume tab load by default . users can click the low volume and graveyard tab if they want.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
sal002 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:39:14 PM

I think that is a good idea - working on a few other aspects first, though. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: