Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:14:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex HACKED - funds stolen !  (Read 32118 times)
raver36

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:20:33 AM

Welcome to the future!

This is how you 'rob a bank' in the digital age  Wink
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:30:53 AM

Welcome to the future!

Jeez that is a lot of money. I simply do not hang around with the right kind of geeks in my circle....should start hanging out with the evil hacker types

that is a lot of moola if they get away with it (likely imho) Sad

Can you imagine some 16 year old kid doing this hack and he is sitting around going wtf do I do now...as his dad is yelling at him to take out the trash. lol Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:36:55 AM

I wonder what these people do with all this stolen money...
They live in huge houses near the beach for the rest of their lives and drink fine wine and get hot girlfriends.  What else?

re-invest them to steal even more, like for example creating another scam exchange like bitfinex in 3 months and declare a security hole 1 year later...
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:38:00 AM

Where are the damn MEMES?  Grin
Make it a good one for this special event.

119,756 BTC

There it is.  Grin You made me wait for a long time.   Grin This problem will not be forgotten for a long time if Bitfinex will not resolve this issue.
Yamifoud

Activity: 2786
Merit: 518

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:40:39 AM

I thought Bitfinex has got the bitlicense to operate in the US. So it is legal? Why do you say it is not legal?

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
pokemongoseller

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:57:59 AM

Update,

the funds stolen are 119,756 btc. that means aprox 60 millions USD

Do you think that Bitfinex will cover this amount and it will business as usual? Smiley

Link me with the address please I need to track it where it ended up.
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:06:56 AM

Update,

the funds stolen are 119,756 btc. that means aprox 60 millions USD

Do you think that Bitfinex will cover this amount and it will business as usual? Smiley

Link me with the address please I need to track it where it ended up.

Wow, that's a lot of money stolen over the last few weeks $60m on the DAO, $60m on Bitfinex, I'm wondering what the next headlines will be!
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:25:39 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2016, 08:38:34 AM by Quantus

I suspect Bitfinex was using Fractional Reserve banking and just ran out of money.

If your using an online wallet you don't own any bitcoins. All you own is a IOU from an uninsured an unregulated service provider who is controlled by people legally obligated under the law "under threat of criminal prosecution" to protect the shareholders investments over the users money, your money.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
18RATTT

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:28:11 AM

I would like to urge everyone owning Bitcoin to verify 3 things:

1) Pls check if your bitcoin provider is well reputed, backed by top class investors and has a strong engineering team
2) Ask them how they store your bitcoin - how much is stored in hot wallet vs. cold storage
3) Do they have 2 factor authentication enabled for all accounts? 

Regards,
Tiyo from BitX
https://bitx.co

android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.bitx.android.wallet
ios app: https://itunes.apple.com/id/app/bitx-wallet/id927362479

truxton

Activity: 771
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:32:58 AM

First coinbase and now this. This is why the Blocknet DX will be huge. Nobody will have to rely on middleman exchanges anymore. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=829576.6140

its a sleeping giant and clearly needed.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:41:20 AM

Is the $60mm from Bitfinex being used to pump ETC?
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:46:39 AM

We would see if the coins see any action. So far I would think its just people who have realized about the hack and are moving to other coins to not let their investments go down. Just like people do with the dollar and gold.

ixus

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:01:40 AM

Can someone of the bfx customers , please, check their deposits multisigs ? Mine are nearly zeroed just few month ago.  In general this "event" show up one more time that monopolization and centralisation - are bad.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 09:06:39 AM

Welcome to the future!

with bitcoin a "bank" means you not your exchange site! to to rub a bank means to rub you and your wallet with a keylogger or other ways to steal the private keys from individuals.

bitfinex was just a service run by people who didn't know how to secure 119,000BTC.

i hope they recover from this though, it is a shame to see another gox happening.

--looking for signature--
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:10:26 AM

The chinesse exchangers are putting the bots(fake transactions) at work very hard. they own miners, they exchange for miners and a low price means the end of them Smiley

so, the price won't go down too fast because it's artificially  sustained by them.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 09:12:08 AM

we should wait for technical explanation. at the moment it could be everything. also an inside job!

Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:14:47 AM

Must be exactly cause of that hacking the price for bitcoin jumped down. 60 ml dollars! Shocked that is just unbelievable! How many people lost their money!? I think it shows us that no one exchanger is save enough. I'm holding my bitcoins on Yobit and now I am worry about "what if..?" When the price for bitcoin will be higher I plan to withdraw it on my card.
CoinBreader

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:19:04 AM

I read more than 80m$ worth of coins stolen. So little of them dumped till now. When this is over we may see below 300$ if that's true.

This will end so badly. Everything that people worked for till now will be dirt. Families will be ruined. So sad.

This is the most important reason not to leave your coins on a exchange, you may end up broke!
Also the saddest part is that people haven't learn yet which exchanges have licence and which dont! Any exchange can go down any time for any reason but they will investigated more by authoritys, so less likely to have any type of drama (aka missing coins, hack, bug, shit you name it!
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:25:19 AM

I read more than 80m$ worth of coins stolen. So little of them dumped till now. When this is over we may see below 300$ if that's true.

This will end so badly. Everything that people worked for till now will be dirt. Families will be ruined. So sad.

This is the most important reason not to leave your coins on a exchange, you may end up broke!
Also the saddest part is that people haven't learn yet which exchanges have licence and which dont! Any exchange can go down any time for any reason but they will investigated more by authoritys, so less likely to have any type of drama (aka missing coins, hack, bug, shit you name it!

CoinBreader, you are right. I said about financial licenses a lot. But many people are brainwashed and they don't care about that. I warned about Bitfinex practices on this forum, about their unexisting financial license(insurance), about price manipulation and so so.

Result : almost nobody cares and many people lost MILLIONS. Yes, millions of USD not thousands of usd or hundred thousands of USD. I know individuals who lost "cash" worth of millions; years of tradings, no sleep, no life...just trading and now, they lost everything.

The next will be BTC-e; same prototype.  shady exchanger, no license, no insurance...nothing.

Vinnie Stanley

Activity: 322

ICO Chicken Dinner :)

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:31:01 AM

That is not very smart of you mr legendary member is it. Lets do some basic numbers, before the hack there was 9k buy support and now after the hack there is around 7k buy support. That is less lol The volume is the same and the price is lower, not something that 120k bitcoin pumps is it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: