Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:46:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MC2: A cryptocurrency based on a hybrid PoW/PoS system  (Read 195084 times)
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:42:05 AM

Everybody should be watching this thread. It's the next properly developed and thought of altcoin to be created. It's not a clonecoin by any means and actually offers legitimate new features which have been developed for and by the community. Don't expect it any time soon though, devs are taking their time and it's important they do so.
I watch this and PeerCash (by Bitfreak)...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xwebnetwork

Activity: 684
Merit: 500

Veni. Vidi. Vici.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 12:22:17 PM

Don't you worry. Things are progressing, albeit slowly. But progress is forward movement nonetheless.

Validity.Bringing Advanced Utility to the Blockchain with the Validity SmartChain!
Website | BTCT Thread
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:42:28 PM

Don't know about others but at least I never laughed at your ideas. Though the problem is not the idea is ahead of its time, problem is nobody is willing to step up to take the risk and make it happen.

This is the first tough lesson I learned in entrepreneurial projects. Idea is only the first small step, execution is 99%. If I didn't learn this lesson well, ppcoin wouldn't happen either.

My first advice to netcoin is, limit the scope to the point that you can execute within one year.

Sunny I think the problem is we don't have enough competent programmers who aren't already working on other projects. I'm an idea guy but I'm only an average programmer, on top of that I'm still a bit busy with other things to invest enough time into some of my ideas. If I get the chance to, I intend to launch the AskPeers site, and the Tube site idea as well but in my case if I have to do it then we might not see it for 6 months which is why I'd rather someone else with less on their plate take up the cause.

I have registered the domain name, outlined the idea, I could even make a step by step guide of what needs to be done, but I cannot do it all. Maybe if I make enough money to pay my bills I'll be able to focus exclusively on this but I don't know how people manage to create enough time unless they do this full time. Tacotime is having the same problem himself with this project so I think he knows what it's like to want to do something but to be so busy with other more immediate concerns to not be able to do it and he's the kind of person who likes to do stuff right.

You made an excellent point and gave advice that I'll listen to. If the project cannot be launched within a year then it might be better to do something else and the amount of time it takes to launch does matter to maintain this momentum. I actually think the window of opportunity is in the 6 month range for Netcoin, so perhaps if we can figure out how to make a list of people in the community who are willing to help out and give them points for doing it that would be a start. Perhaps a mailing list for programmers, a mailing list for web developers, a mailing list for marketers, and discuss the ideas on these lists and then when an action has to be taken then put it on the main wiki as a to-do list.

I'm not familiar with Git just yet unfortunately.
solracx

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 02:07:28 PM

Don't know about others but at least I never laughed at your ideas. Though the problem is not the idea is ahead of its time, problem is nobody is willing to step up to take the risk and make it happen.

This is the first tough lesson I learned in entrepreneurial projects. Idea is only the first small step, execution is 99%. If I didn't learn this lesson well, ppcoin wouldn't happen either.

My first advice to netcoin is, limit the scope to the point that you can execute within one year.

Sunny I think the problem is we don't have enough competent programmers who aren't already working on other projects. I'm an idea guy but I'm only an average programmer, on top of that I'm still a bit busy with other things to invest enough time into some of my ideas. If I get the chance to, I intend to launch the AskPeers site, and the Tube site idea as well but in my case if I have to do it then we might not see it for 6 months which is why I'd rather someone else with less on their plate take up the cause.

I have registered the domain name, outlined the idea, I could even make a step by step guide of what needs to be done, but I cannot do it all. Maybe if I make enough money to pay my bills I'll be able to focus exclusively on this but I don't know how people manage to create enough time unless they do this full time. Tacotime is having the same problem himself with this project so I think he knows what it's like to want to do something but to be so busy with other more immediate concerns to not be able to do it and he's the kind of person who likes to do stuff right.

You made an excellent point and gave advice that I'll listen to. If the project cannot be launched within a year then it might be better to do something else and the amount of time it takes to launch does matter to maintain this momentum. I actually think the window of opportunity is in the 6 month range for Netcoin, so perhaps if we can figure out how to make a list of people in the community who are willing to help out and give them points for doing it that would be a start. Perhaps a mailing list for programmers, a mailing list for web developers, a mailing list for marketers, and discuss the ideas on these lists and then when an action has to be taken then put it on the main wiki as a to-do list.

I'm not familiar with Git just yet unfortunately.

So what is the development status of this coin?  Is there a repository (GitHub) yet?

If not, I can get the ball rolling by contributing the next version of ZenithCoin as a starting code base to build upon.

ZenithCoin - Sustainable Scrypt Based Crypto Currency
Luckybit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

Tacotime you might want to take a look at this

Matt Corallo and I have added support for micropayment channels to bitcoinj. Micropayment channels allow you to send, after an initial setup process, very tiny payments to a chosen third party in a trust-free manner without broadcasting all the payments onto the block chain. This lets you avoid the fees and anti-flooding protections that would otherwise cause problems. The cost is a single ECDSA signature on the client side, and a single verify on the server side.

Now for some personal commentary. I'm excited by this work for a couple of reasons.

One is that I strongly believe that Bitcoin's short to medium term future lies in finding an advanced "killer app" rather than trying to compete head on with VISA or MasterCard. Whilst Bitcoin has many advantages over credit card payments, for most people the barriers to entry are high enough to keep them on their existing payment solutions. If we create a new market or application that is highly compelling and requires Bitcoin, then we give people a stronger incentive to acquire some. And once they've made the decision to get some coins for that killer app, why not get a little bit more than needed and also use it to buy other things later? To make a killer app we need things Bitcoin can do that other systems can't. Micropayments is an obvious example.

The second reason this work is important is that our community hasn't been making good use of the contracts features Satoshi left for us. Despite that many designs were documented years ago (by me on the Contracts page), there haven't really been any apps that use them. "Where are the contract apps?" is a question that came up a lot when I was in California for the conference. The cause seems to be that it's hard to understand how to turn the high level descriptions on the wiki into working code. The micropayment channels code in bitcoinj now gives us a worked example from beginning to end - you can read the theory, read the protocol description and then see it how to translate it into a real, working system that manages all the fiddly details.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244656.0
https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/source/detail?r=4908c241f7161bc5facfb85b466feba2929f2567

I think they are onto something. They figured out how to get micropayments working.
solracx

Activity: 294

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 07:29:03 PM

Tacotime you might want to take a look at this

Matt Corallo and I have added support for micropayment channels to bitcoinj. Micropayment channels allow you to send, after an initial setup process, very tiny payments to a chosen third party in a trust-free manner without broadcasting all the payments onto the block chain. This lets you avoid the fees and anti-flooding protections that would otherwise cause problems. The cost is a single ECDSA signature on the client side, and a single verify on the server side.

Now for some personal commentary. I'm excited by this work for a couple of reasons.

One is that I strongly believe that Bitcoin's short to medium term future lies in finding an advanced "killer app" rather than trying to compete head on with VISA or MasterCard. Whilst Bitcoin has many advantages over credit card payments, for most people the barriers to entry are high enough to keep them on their existing payment solutions. If we create a new market or application that is highly compelling and requires Bitcoin, then we give people a stronger incentive to acquire some. And once they've made the decision to get some coins for that killer app, why not get a little bit more than needed and also use it to buy other things later? To make a killer app we need things Bitcoin can do that other systems can't. Micropayments is an obvious example.

The second reason this work is important is that our community hasn't been making good use of the contracts features Satoshi left for us. Despite that many designs were documented years ago (by me on the Contracts page), there haven't really been any apps that use them. "Where are the contract apps?" is a question that came up a lot when I was in California for the conference. The cause seems to be that it's hard to understand how to turn the high level descriptions on the wiki into working code. The micropayment channels code in bitcoinj now gives us a worked example from beginning to end - you can read the theory, read the protocol description and then see it how to translate it into a real, working system that manages all the fiddly details.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244656.0
https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/source/detail?r=4908c241f7161bc5facfb85b466feba2929f2567

I think they are onto something. They figured out how to get micropayments working.

Interesting.

ZenithCoin - Sustainable Scrypt Based Crypto Currency
_ingsoc

Activity: 452
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 10:27:41 PM

any thoughts on how to catch up to bitcoin's 4 year head start and the amount of adoption they already have?
I always thought this was an interesting perspective when it comes to Bitcoin versus others. I don't look at it as competition. Netcoin is the beginning of what some guy thought would be an improvement on what Bitcoin developed into. So he decided to share those ideas just like Bitcoin shared its ideas. It's all about building on top of what's good. At the end of the day, I will call Netcoin good on a personal level if it's freedom-enabling for people, as opposed to systems that are about controlling people (like most scamcoins - just my opinion, no flaming intended). That's what I want to work toward and play a part in!

digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:21:35 AM

I think that tacotime should announce or reveal his plan/roadmap to implement this currency. This discussion takes too long without any progress recently.

@solracx Is ZenithCoin a copy-and-paste coin? I see nothing new in it. So it looks like yet-another-crapcoin to me
Tropical Rain

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:24:04 AM

I think that tacotime should announce or reveal his plan/roadmap to implement this currency. This discussion takes too long without any progress recently.

@solracx Is ZenithCoin a copy-and-paste coin? I see nothing new in it. So it looks like yet-another-crapcoin to me
+1  I completely understand them trying to get it right, different, innovative, taking time to get outside ideas to implement... But it's been almost 3 months already... It's time to get this going, and for a release, updates on a release at least.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:15:59 AM

The proposal looks interesting

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246245     
Proposal: Simple modification for better anonymity
sevenseals

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 01:48:49 AM

has this coin already launched?
_ingsoc

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 07:22:39 AM

has this coin already launched?
Nope, not yet. TacoTime is conceptualising the new PoS system. It'll be in the new whitepaper, and likely the last revision before development.

Luckybit

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:48:59 AM

any thoughts on how to catch up to bitcoin's 4 year head start and the amount of adoption they already have?
I always thought this was an interesting perspective when it comes to Bitcoin versus others. I don't look at it as competition. Netcoin is the beginning of what some guy thought would be an improvement on what Bitcoin developed into. So he decided to share those ideas just like Bitcoin shared its ideas. It's all about building on top of what's good. At the end of the day, I will call Netcoin good on a personal level if it's freedom-enabling for people, as opposed to systems that are about controlling people (like most scamcoins - just my opinion, no flaming intended). That's what I want to work toward and play a part in!

This is an interesting model: http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/07/01/winklevoss-twins-file-to-launch-bitcoin-exchange-traded-product/

I could see this idea working for Litecoin or Netcoin. Simply set up a product similar to this and then sell passthrough shares in the Netcoin on the official stock market to marketed to the mainstream investor. I would say keep an eye on this to see if it works because this could be what brings Bitcoin to the investor mainstream. The main problem people have with Bitcoin is they don't know how to get them, and when they get them they don't know how to keep them safe, this solves both those problems by treating Bitcoin as an ordinary share like any other on the stock market.

Now a billionaire can buy shares in Bitcoin and add it to their portfolio.
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:29:41 AM

This is an interesting model: http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/07/01/winklevoss-twins-file-to-launch-bitcoin-exchange-traded-product/

I could see this idea working for Litecoin or Netcoin. Simply set up a product similar to this and then sell passthrough shares in the Netcoin on the official stock market to marketed to the mainstream investor. I would say keep an eye on this to see if it works because this could be what brings Bitcoin to the investor mainstream. The main problem people have with Bitcoin is they don't know how to get them, and when they get them they don't know how to keep them safe, this solves both those problems by treating Bitcoin as an ordinary share like any other on the stock market.

Now a billionaire can buy shares in Bitcoin and add it to their portfolio.

Not to get too off track, but that would be huge for cryptos..
rbdrbd

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:15:49 AM

+1  I completely understand them trying to get it right, different, innovative, taking time to get outside ideas to implement... But it's been almost 3 months already... It's time to get this going, and for a release, updates on a release at least.

+1 to that. I am strongly considering chipping in a large amount to the future kickstarter fund, but that has to raise enough $$ for tacotime to work on this thing full-time (and get some talent to help organize the launch), or else nothing will get done. Smiley
philipkdick

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:49:34 AM

Totally agree , Taco you need to simplify or have some one do this and put that in retarded speak . And start a new topic

If you want to have a fresh new start on a new forum that everyone from cryptsy to LTC are supporting

I'll ask the forum host cyber if you want an advert at digitalcurrencytalk.com

Advert sits on front page and links to topic inside .  This forum will marketed to new crypto users.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:51:13 AM

Do we have any update from Taco or regarding the new white paper?

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:16:09 PM

Tacotime for President! Netcoins as the currency. Peace on earth.

Can someone give me the cliffnotes on how they decided to fund development? Im all for supporting this in any way possible.

rbdrbd

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:18:03 PM

Current whitepaper link as posted on the 1st post of this topic is broken (http://www.platinumdigitalreserve.com/storage/mc2%20draft%20v0.031.pdf)

should probably be http://www.netcoin.io/latest.pdf instead
_ingsoc

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 01:39:03 PM

Do we have any update from Taco or regarding the new white paper?
He's going to go into detail (greater detail than the paper) on the Wiki. In all likelihood we'll be able to do that concurrently with crowdfunding the project, and getting paid developers assembled. Unfortunately I don't have a recent update on his thinking, but I'm sure he'll chime in as soon as he gets a chance!

Current whitepaper link as posted on the 1st post of this topic is broken (http://www.platinumdigitalreserve.com/storage/mc2%20draft%20v0.031.

should probably be http://www.netcoin.io/latest.pdf instead
Yeah, that's right. Sorry! We'll have to update all those links. Forum is now at netcoin.io/forum. It'll open soon when we move into the next phase. Not trying to be a tease, but we don't have much to talk about until we have a development update, so it makes sense to open up the new forum when that happens.

Tacotime for President! Netcoins as the currency. Peace on earth.

Can someone give me the cliffnotes on how they decided to fund development? Im all for supporting this in any way possible.

You should start a White House petition so they can talk to TacoTime's prime minister, who can then talk to his school and see if they would let him take off some time to work on this full-time. Grin Development is going to take the form of a crowdfunding run where the funds raised will go to development of various components of the proposal. The exact terms aren't finalised yet, but essentially the stake funders occupy in the network is required for its security. Ultimately the goal is to contribute to the public domain a body of work, where Netcoin is an implementation of that, which can't function without your stake in it (if that makes sense).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: