Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:19:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone want to do a Baikal Groupbuy?  (Read 29810 times)
xxkaiwaxx

Activity: 479
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:13:46 PM

Wonder what's driving the questions about combining miners together.
Do you have a restriction on ethernet ports, or is it an issue of running multiple rigs?
Might help for the community to know the background on why the "default" configuration is less-than-desirable.
Ron

For me at least, being new, when i first saw what the pool stats of a mining pool looked like, i saw how much all the "top end" workers were mining due to their high hash rate.

Initially i thought it was just one machine doing all that hashing. Then i soon realized you couldnt possibly get such high hash rates with just a single machine, youd need to start combining them.

So i thought in order to mine the most you had to have the highest total/combined hash rate set on one worker alone.

Only recently i learnt that was not the case...

Oh...what is this less-than-desirable default configuration to be aware of? ^^
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xxkaiwaxx

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:23:40 PM

Oh yea i got this a couple days ago from Baikal via email.....

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Don't worry, we will help you to get your package if you purchased.

But we are sorry that we have no idea when we will have stock again, you can check our website we will make announcement there.

Best regards,
Baikal

.....which can be found at http://www.baikalminer.com/news.asp
xxkaiwaxx

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:30:20 PM

My other idea could prove more promising therefore. If theres enough interest , ill spit it out Wink
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:40:05 PM

Do you have a restriction on ethernet ports, or is it an issue of running multiple rigs?
Might help for the community to know the background on why the "default" configuration is less-than-desirable.
Ron

For me at least, being new, when i first saw what the pool stats of a mining pool looked like, i saw how much all the "top end" workers were mining due to their high hash rate.

Initially i thought it was just one machine doing all that hashing. Then i soon realized you couldnt possibly get such high hash rates with just a single machine, youd need to start combining them.

So i thought in order to mine the most you had to have the highest total/combined hash rate set on one worker alone.

By "less-than-desirable" I mean that keeping it simple is often the best approach unless you have some other need which needs to be addressed.
In my case, I had a bad orange pi on a 150 Mini, so I took out the bad orange and rather than buying another one I just connected it to anothe 150 Mini to make a single 300.
The totals do add up correctly. In that if I had a 900 or 6x 150's I would earn the same amount regardless of if it's connected as a single worker through a single ethernet or as 6 workers on 6 ethernets.
I prefer the more granular approach, as it makes debugging a miner easier to locate.  For example, sometimes my 600 drops a miner, and goes to 450, and I have to bounce the entier thing to get it back to 600. If I was running 4x 150's then I would only have to bounce the one which was not working, and leave the other 3 mining while the bounce is going on.
In the end, it's your choice, as long as you don't go over the limits which Baikal spoke generally about earlier. I think that was that at most 6 Mini's on a single orange pi.
Again, I don't know how the 900's are configured, or if they use a orange pi or something else.
xxkaiwaxx

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:45:54 PM

Ok Roger that.

Forgive my noobness but, a "bounce" would be a reboot/restart correct?
TunerDude007

Activity: 458
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:54:33 PM

Ron

If I had to place a bet, I would say those super high hashers are people renting hashing power from nicehash. I used to be one of them.
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 04:59:22 PM

Ok Roger that.

Forgive my noobness but, a "bounce" would be a reboot/restart correct?
Yep, either a reboot/restart or power-cycle, depending on what it takes to get it hashing again.
The greater granularity gives me the option to take fewer resources out of play while the bounce is happening.
Makes locating the faulty rig also easier.
Truthchanter

Activity: 689

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 05:05:45 PM

It seems like the Sellers prefer to be paid in crypto-currency. Ive never turned "fiat" cash in to "cc" before.

I imagine there will be fees as well no doubt.

I have a visa debit card.

Do yous know of any recommended sites to buy btc with visa quick n easy?

https://localbitcoins.com/

coinbase.com may have a lesser fee but may take longer
nu1mlock

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 06:41:23 PM

https://localbitcoins.com/

coinbase.com may have a lesser fee but may take longer
Coinbase is quick and relatively cheap (4%) when purchasing with Visa. However, they have a limit at €100 per week and then you need to wait like 2 months in order to purchase higher sums. So yeah, takes a lot longer.

If they're going to use a Visa card, I'm assuming they won't be anonymous anyway, in which case a bank transfer to Coinbase could be preferable. I only know the fees in Europe (which is 0%) so you may have to look it up if you live somewhere else. Purchase fee for using the money that you transferred to Coinbase to buy BTC is 1.5%. That limit is €9,000 so might be enough to start with. It takes one working day to transfer money from a bank account into your Coinbase account.
TunerDude007

Activity: 458
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 06:45:08 PM

It seems like the Sellers prefer to be paid in crypto-currency. Ive never turned "fiat" cash in to "cc" before.

I imagine there will be fees as well no doubt.

I have a visa debit card.

Do yous know of any recommended sites to buy btc with visa quick n easy?

Hey I just sent you a private message.
ATCkit

Activity: 786

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 07:08:26 PM

..... I had a bad orange pi on a 150 Mini, so I took out the bad orange and rather than buying another one I just connected it to anothe 150 Mini to make a single 300....

@usao or anyone

Where did you get the cable to connect the two miners?

thx,

ATCkit
bittawm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 07:11:33 PM

why didnt you all just buy some when I was selling them....you would all be laughing, i know of people that got 10-20 of these units and oh my goodness theyre on top

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 08:05:07 PM

why didnt you all just buy some when I was selling them....you would all be laughing, i know of people that got 10-20 of these units and oh my goodness theyre on top

Hindsight is always 20/20.  I know I am glad I bought what I could.  I am looking forward to another round of the group buy if we get one.  Please put me on your list.  Grin

Nobody could have forecast Dash taking off like this.  However if you were looking at the numbers even before the recent run up in price of Dash this miner was nicely profitable even at much much lower altcoin valuations. 

It was just a big gamble of jumping in and hoping that the prices didn't collapse and that the miner might ROI.  This time it appears to be going in our favor for those who took the gamble...  It was a big risk, but now it looks like a no brainer after we got lucky.  But when we were making the decision to buy these it wasn't so clear cut.  So no reason for anyone to kick themselves for not seeing this coming. 

Never mistake luck for skill.  As fast as this has run up it can fall.  Remember to take your profits when you can.  Don't get greedy!
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 09:19:53 PM

In the end, it's your choice, as long as you don't go over the limits which Baikal spoke generally about earlier. I think that was that at most 6 Mini's on a single orange pi.
Again, I don't know how the 900's are configured, or if they use a orange pi or something else.

The giants use the same OrangePi, as well as the same image.
TracerX

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 09:22:28 PM

..... I had a bad orange pi on a 150 Mini, so I took out the bad orange and rather than buying another one I just connected it to anothe 150 Mini to make a single 300....

@usao or anyone

thx,

ATCkit

I had Baikal send extra cables, but I believe you can build the 4-pin head to USB pretty easily.
TracerX

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 09:24:42 PM

Anyone ever get this error: 111 CONNECTION REFUSED ?
If so, how did you fix it?

Are you trying to access the sgminer API?  You need to make sure the IP address of the device you are using to poll the API is allowed by the instance of sgminer.

Code:
If you start sgminer with the --api-listen option, it will listen on a simple TCP/IP socket for single string API requests from the same machine running sgminer and reply with a string and then close the socket each time If you add the --api-network option, it will accept API requests from any network attached computer.

You can only access the comands that reply with data in this mode. By default, you cannot access any privileged command that affects the miner - you will receive an access denied status message see --api-allow below.

You can specify IP addresses/prefixes that are only allowed to access the API with the --api-allow option.

--api-allow W:192.168.0.1,10.0.0/24
The example above will allow 192.168.0.1 or any address matching 10.0.0.*, but nothing else. IP addresses are automatically padded with extra '.0's as needed Without a /prefix is the same as specifying /32 0/0 means all IP addresses. The W: on the front gives that address/subnet privileged access to commands that modify sgminer (thus all API commands). Without it those commands return an access denied status. See --api-groups below to define other groups like W:. Privileged access is checked in the order the IP addresses were supplied to --api-allow. The first match determines the privilege level. Using the --api-allow option overides the --api-network option if they are both specified. With --api-allow, 127.0.0.1 is not by default given access unless specified.
TracerX

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 09:27:38 PM

The boards on the giants have a USB compatible header on each.  I've controlled multiple cards with one controller, no problem.  It's not a generic USB cable however.  You would have to make or purchase, but once you have the cable you can connect them to a USB hub and then to the controller.

What are the "multiple cards" you reffered to?

Sounds like a much simpler system to set up. What would i google to find and buy those non-generic usb cables?

The giant is made up of two blades, both running 450Mhs each.  I said 'cards' but I should have said 'devices.'
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 12:32:45 AM

The 35 day warranty and paying off horde on btc only thing now is time/hobby/labor

Seemed prudent at the time. Now mining dash via litecoin pool @103% via shapeshift w fee of 1.48%
Works same way as ltc to btc to get btc board. 80 bucks a day to dash. We will see

So it goes

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
ATCkit

Activity: 786

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 12:58:07 AM

@usao or anyone

thx,

ATCkit

I had Baikal send extra cables, but I believe you can build the 4-pin head to USB pretty easily.

Thought I could make a cable from some parts. No luck finding the correct ends. I found the cable here:
https://asicminermarket.com/product/baikal-serial-cable-parallel-link/

They emailed me wondering why i wanted it. I explained how my rig was behaving. They said it's more likely the motherboard and not the OrangePi.
Anyhow, i asked them send me the cable so I have one on hand.

xxkaiwaxx

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 01:51:26 AM

Hmm

After a bit more thought, im leaning more towards Quadruple miners now...

Any one keen for Quad GB? =D

Or does it even matter in a gb if you order diff items...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: