Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:15:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks contact info?  (Read 46888 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 01:38:22 AM

Well, they already claim that something like "exchanging information about whereabouts of data" (BitTorrent sites) is illegal, so why not this ? I see no large difference.
Exchanging information about the whereabouts of data is not illegal anywhere, as long as the data is legally acquired and distributed.  It's very much the same with any goods.

Actually, that's not true.  Strong encryption, regardless of the nature of the information, is (rather rediculously) considered a 'munition' under US export law.  Depending on how a court looks at this law, it's either unconstitutional or the exportation of such encryption methods gets the sender sent to prison for violation of international trade bans on weapons.  So it's a pretty good thing that Bitcoin doesn't actually encrypt anything itself, but I'm not sure that a court would be savvy enough to know the differences.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 01:44:40 AM

Hey,

I wanted to send a letter to Wikileaks about Bitcoin since unfortunately they've had several incidents where their funds have been seized in the past.
http://wikileaks.org/media/support.html

Anyone know where to send a message to them?

Eh. Wikileaks is almost certainly run by the CIA anyway. I doubt they'll be interested.

Anonymous

November 11, 2010, 02:48:54 AM

Hey,

I wanted to send a letter to Wikileaks about Bitcoin since unfortunately they've had several incidents where their funds have been seized in the past.
http://wikileaks.org/media/support.html

Anyone know where to send a message to them?

Eh. Wikileaks is almost certainly run by the CIA anyway. I doubt they'll be interested.

Thanks Adam Curry.  Cheesy
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 04:24:58 PM

Well,they can try. The problem for people who control things through having bigger guns is that you cant shoot bittorrent.

They can't shoot bitcoin or bittorrent itself, but they can discourage big buisnesses from accepting bitcoin. And that can easily hold mainstream adoption even for tens of years.
They (governments) are very good in this particularly. Large companies such as Google, Microsoft, Wal-mart etc are very susceptible to government regulations.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2010, 07:54:13 PM

I think we should try again to get WikiLeaks to accept bitcoin donation, as a thanks for their latest leak.  Should we pool some money together to include with a letter?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
farmer_boy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 11:48:16 PM

I was thinking about this overnight, Wikileaks has in-house cryptology and security experts; they could do an audit on the Bitcoin security and we could donate bitcon to pay for it… scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.
I don’t know about the feasibility, but on the surface it sounds like it would be beneficial to both wikileaks and bitcoin.
There is nothing to be audited as far as an academic cryptographer would be concerned. For that to happen, the specification of Bitcoin would have to be of better quality. That needs to happen first and only when that is done, there is a chance someone will want to take a serious look.

Only the author or a volunteer could publish a specification of sufficient quality. It's not acceptable as a Master thesis subject on a respectable university, because there is no research involved, it's just "work". The "coolness" factor is of no interest there.
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 01:03:22 AM

I'm going to go online tonight and talk to some Wikileaks staff see if they can start the ball rolling on the insides.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 12:50:28 PM

I was thinking about this overnight, Wikileaks has in-house cryptology and security experts; they could do an audit on the Bitcoin security and we could donate bitcon to pay for it… scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.
I don’t know about the feasibility, but on the surface it sounds like it would be beneficial to both wikileaks and bitcoin.
There is nothing to be audited as far as an academic cryptographer would be concerned. For that to happen, the specification of Bitcoin would have to be of better quality. That needs to happen first and only when that is done, there is a chance someone will want to take a serious look.
Satoshi's paper is a good introduction I'd think.

And another thing, I'm not sure about academic cryptographers, but in the 'real world' security auditing is regularly done on source code, or sometimes even without source code (either by reverse engineering or black box testing).

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2010, 01:01:53 PM

They can't shoot bitcoin or bittorrent itself, but they can discourage big buisnesses from accepting bitcoin. And that can easily hold mainstream adoption even for tens of years.
They (governments) are very good in this particularly. Large companies such as Google, Microsoft, Wal-mart etc are very susceptible to government regulations.

Screw big business. Google, Microsoft and Wal-Mart can all eat flaming death as far as I'm concerned, creatures of state privilege as they are.

My task, and where systems like Bitcoin can be helpful, is in making both government and big business irrelevant and obsolete.

Burn, Hollywod, burn.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2010, 01:29:32 PM

I think we should try again to get WikiLeaks to accept bitcoin donation, as a thanks for their latest leak.  Should we pool some money together to include with a letter?

Currently all intelligence services are working to smash wikileaks. I would not want to suddenly posthumously come into Al-Qaeda.

As the cables were published, the White House released a statement condemning their release. "Such disclosures put at risk our diplomats, intelligence professionals, and people around the world who come to the US for assistance in promoting democracy and open government. By releasing stolen and classified documents, WikiLeaks has put at risk not only the cause of human rights but also the lives and work of these individuals."

Smiley

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 01:57:00 PM

Screw big business. Google, Microsoft and Wal-Mart can all eat flaming death as far as I'm concerned, creatures of state privilege as they are.

My task, and where systems like Bitcoin can be helpful, is in making both government and big business irrelevant and obsolete.

Burn, Hollywod, burn.

I'm only saying that it may be difficult for bitcoin to go mainstream, but i seriously doubt they can stop adoption in general.
They would have to shut down the internet entirely, which is not easy (possible breaking ICANN is not enough, we can always use alternative DNS roots).

I think we should try again to get WikiLeaks to accept bitcoin donation, as a thanks for their latest leak.  Should we pool some money together to include with a letter?

Currently all intelligence services are working to smash wikileaks. I would not want to suddenly posthumously come into Al-Qaeda.

So far they have failed. I hope it stays that way.

Anonymous

November 29, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Apparently someone did a massive ddos against wikileaks today.

In more inspiring news operation payback took down the warner bros website for a few hours and ifpi.org is currently unreachable.  Cheesy

The cable leak has been turned into a torrent file and is currently being mirrored on thousands of servers all over the world. The pirate bay's entire torrent database is available as a torrent you could fit on a 32gb flash drive.

All in all what has the government accomplished except to tread on an ants nest.  Lips sealed
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 01:58:45 PM

Apparently someone did a massive ddos against wikileaks today.

Really is that so ? http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/ worked perfectly for me for the last 12 or 18 hours.

mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2010, 02:24:48 PM

I'm only saying that it may be difficult for bitcoin to go mainstream, but i seriously doubt they can stop adoption in general.
They would have to shut down the internet entirely, which is not easy (possible breaking ICANN is not enough, we can always use alternative DNS roots).

Gotcha. It's just a difference of emphasis, really.

I believe very strongly that a successful effort to supplant state money is going to be a ground-up effort. The big players in today's pink economy are going to be the last to adapt, kicking and screaming, to the new economic reality. For years before that happens, though, individuals, sole traders and small enterprises are going to be taking more and more of their income away as, simultaneously, a) the new monetary system's benefits impact more and more people, b) the inevitable institutional dumbness of big organizations makes them stumble and lag, and, c) continually eroding confidence in the state, its institutions and the entities that rely upon them drives more and more people into the new economy.

If you're reading this, you're part of the vanguard building the new economy and the new world. Mainstream acceptance will come by weight of numbers and via network effects. Who ever heard of Wikileaks or Twitter four years ago? And today we've got Admiral Chairman-of-the-Joint-Fucking-Chiefs Mullen tweeting his dismay over Wikileaks -- no doubt via the intermediation of an office full of PR analysts and bureaucrats, at extremely low relative impact.

BTW, Shadow, when they shut down the internet, I know how to build a new one. Want to help? Smiley

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
bitcoinex

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2010, 02:43:42 PM

So far they have failed. I hope it stays that way.

As I understand the problem of state right now is that if wikileaks crew a long time does not appear in the network automation will send the AES key to wikileaks insurance file.

But damaging torture can not be withstand. I'm curious why they is still free and may be freely interviewed.

- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 02:54:02 PM

I believe very strongly that a successful effort to supplant state money is going to be a ground-up effort. The big players in today's pink economy are going to be the last to adapt, kicking and screaming, to the new economic reality. For years before that happens, though, individuals, sole traders and small enterprises are going to be taking more and more of their income away as, simultaneously, a) the new monetary system's benefits impact more and more people, b) the inevitable institutional dumbness of big organizations makes them stumble and lag, and, c) continually eroding confidence in the state, its institutions and the entities that rely upon them drives more and more people into the new economy.

I like that idea of Yours, however what i don't like about it is the amount of time it needs to become reality.
However i guess we don't have any choice, as the "old economy" will never adapt - I concede with you there. Bankers & other people who gain from the current system will never resign of their false fraudulent dream world, unless it totally collapses itself first.

BTW, Shadow, when they shut down the internet, I know how to build a new one. Want to help? Smiley

No need for that, they cannot really "shut down the internet". They would have to take all the physical equipment away from people - Linux servers, routers, switches, wires, cables etc. And that is not possible at all without some major disaster (nuclear war or something).

They cannot take our equipment from us, and with the equipment geeks will quickly build a new internet from the scratch. It's just a matter of little rewiring & changing configuration. Not so difficult as one would think.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 02:58:36 PM

But damaging torture can not be withstand. I'm curious why they is still free and may be freely interviewed.

That's probably because USA is not Soviet Russia (yet).
They started censorship, but there is still long way from that to becoming a true totalitarian country like Russia.

If they torture or murder somebody from wikileaks, they really risk getting their asses kicked on the international arena.

bitcoinex

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2010, 03:28:39 PM

That's probably because USA is not Soviet Russia (yet).
They started censorship, but there is still long way from that to becoming a true totalitarian country like Russia.

Come on, kill a few people to save tens or hundreds? Trifling matter, since all countries do.

If they torture or murder somebody from wikileaks, they really risk getting their asses kicked on the international arena.

Again, remember the tortures at Guantanamo? The end justifies the means. Nobody stops reckon with the U.S. due to a couple of dead geeks.

Sad but true.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 03:37:19 PM

Again, remember the tortures at Guantanamo? The end justifies the means. Nobody stops reckon with the U.S. due to a couple of dead geeks.

Sad but true.

If that was so easy as You said, they would have done so long ago. Wikileaks is not here since yesterday.

Also, wikileaks has the encrypted insurance file already distrubuted among people long ago (God knows what it may contain ? perhaps 9/11 inside job proof ?). USA may be also afraid of that.

bitcoinex

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2010, 03:43:56 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2010, 04:10:49 PM by bitcoinex

Sad but true.

If that was so easy as You said, they would have done so long ago. Wikileaks is not here since yesterday.

But the pain in the ass it inflicts with the exponential progression.

Also, wikileaks has the encrypted insurance file already distrubuted among people long ago (God knows what it may contain ? perhaps 9/11 inside job proof ?). USA may be also afraid of that.

File without the key is garbage. State can find out who have the key and find out what conditions it will be published.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: