Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:47:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about immortality?  (Read 12055 times)
Lawcker

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2017, 12:30:55 PM

Personally I don't want to live forever, but if you like it don't forget to ask for the eternal youth as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 11:57:35 AM

In some forests, its impossible for young trees to have enough sunshine to grow, without older trees dying and creating an opening where sunshine can get through to younger, smaller, trees.

I don't know if the human race fits that analogy.

But for evolution and progress to occur, it may be natural for older generations to cease to exist in order for younger generations to have their time in the sun.
Deep BTC (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:19:56 PM

What do you think about immortality? Will people find immortality in the future?
Is it possible to transfer a digital copy of the brain to a computer environment?

Immortality in the sense of a digital copy is not true immortality. It is more along the lines of cloning. For instance, think of an organic human as a vinyl record and the digital copy as an mp3. For the most part you can say there is no distinguishing differences yet, the mp3 does not log all the dings, scratches and every other error present in the original. Just as when you copy any file on a computer it is not the original file, but a copy.

If your goal is to continue yourself from the state you were at when you died, then yes, that will suffice. The problem is, it isn't you. You still died. So you feel nothing. Your copy is what will experience the world after you die. Just as when you make a clone of say a dog, you know it is not your actual dog, but a clone of it. There is no difference from a dog and a person when you are copying its data. Both had an original and both have a copy.

The main problem is how we are created. Humans as they are now will never be immortal. But, if you follow the beliefs of tranhumanism, eventually humanity and technology will meld together until there is a point where there is no distinguishing difference between the two. Those of us born before that time will be doomed to die. After that phase though, humans will be created in a digital environment, so technically they would live forever as they do not have to deal with organic flaws. They would also not be classified as Homo Sapiens, or from the viewpoint of some, not human at all.

Also, I've always thought that if reincarnation is real then there is no reason to find immortality. You technically already are. You just don't stay in the same state forever. Which sounds more fun than watching the world pass by as the same person or thing.

Yes, I am thinking about this too. Suppose that our mind can be transferred to the computer environment. When they copy my minds and switch to digital environment, there will be two different person. While I still live in real life, one copy will be my copy in digital environment. I have not experienced digital environment. All right, Will he be able to notice  the environment in which the person in the digital environment exists?
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:29:19 PM

Imortallity? We have it. The thing that we will have to do is sleep in the dust for a while, until God awakens us from that sleep in the thing we call the resurrection.

Then, the people who are in favor of God will go to be with Him in Heaven. Those who were against Him... Hell.

Cool

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
Deep BTC (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:30:06 PM

What do you think about immortality? Will people find immortality in the future?
Is it possible to transfer a digital copy of the brain to a computer environment?

Immortality in the sense of a digital copy is not true immortality. It is more along the lines of cloning. For instance, think of an organic human as a vinyl record and the digital copy as an mp3. For the most part you can say there is no distinguishing differences yet, the mp3 does not log all the dings, scratches and every other error present in the original. Just as when you copy any file on a computer it is not the original file, but a copy.

If your goal is to continue yourself from the state you were at when you died, then yes, that will suffice. The problem is, it isn't you. You still died. So you feel nothing. Your copy is what will experience the world after you die. Just as when you make a clone of say a dog, you know it is not your actual dog, but a clone of it. There is no difference from a dog and a person when you are copying its data. Both had an original and both have a copy.

The main problem is how we are created. Humans as they are now will never be immortal. But, if you follow the beliefs of tranhumanism, eventually humanity and technology will meld together until there is a point where there is no distinguishing difference between the two. Those of us born before that time will be doomed to die. After that phase though, humans will be created in a digital environment, so technically they would live forever as they do not have to deal with organic flaws. They would also not be classified as Homo Sapiens, or from the viewpoint of some, not human at all.

Also, I've always thought that if reincarnation is real then there is no reason to find immortality. You technically already are. You just don't stay in the same state forever. Which sounds more fun than watching the world pass by as the same person or thing.

I agree, the idea of copying the human consciousness into a machine/digital copy would result in the original human carrying on with it's own life, and the copy continuing life as a clone with a separate consciousness.

But perhaps, in the future, there might be a way to "transfer" the organic brain's memories and consciousness into the digital version, in a seamless transfer which results in the original human transgressing to the digital state with no loss of conscious awareness. As if they "became" the digital version and carried on their life experience from there... Who knows?

It reminds me of this excellent music video by LORN, which depicts a girl transferring her consciousness to a radical virtual "social media" world, where she will live on after her death in the real world. It has amazing animation, proper cyberpunk style shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqaAs_3azSs

This kind of work is being done. They are trying to figure out exactly how the human brain works. At the same time, They want to model the human brain in an exact same way.

https://www.humanbrainproject.eu
mrjenci

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:39:41 PM

Its' like a hardfork. It's like ZEC and ZCL or ETH and ETC! https://www.bibiletal.com/ucak-bileti/
stormcrowe

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:46:52 PM

It would be nice to live forever. Not just me but all humans. I think that with our short life span we cannot grow wise enough to evolve further. I think with eternal life we can figure out everything and make life better for ourselves and everyone else.

But then if we had this technology only the most powerful would have this.
dylanc

Activity: 243
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 10:58:06 PM

Immortality sounds like a good idea at first, but it would get boring after a while.
thelson

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 02:48:05 PM

The immortality theory is not fit for this word.. Because life and death is the main key for all of the living things to be exist appropriate in this planet..like bible said.. All of us together with plants and animals are made by god using ash, then if will die..we will go back to where we made of..

VapeOil

Activity: 89

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 02:52:12 PM

I think its for Highlanders.

Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6bjWckQFwg

Raspateh

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:29:27 AM

no immortality in the world. I know immortality comes after death.
but immortality can only be achieved not given.
with our dedication to the creating.
seo11

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:35:47 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2017, 10:02:55 AM by seo11

Immortality will be possible if we don't end up ruining ourselves with nuclear weapons, we are understanding genetics better lately, and CRISPR might help us get farther in a much shorter time as well.putlocker9

There had been a life extension by 30% on some rats, and human trials will commence in a couple of years to extend the lifespan of humans (it makes them younger, and increases life expectancy by 30% for rats, so there is a possibility of teh same result for humans).

I'd link you the research article but I don't have it anymore, you can probably find it somewhere in google.
todaypk
Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 10:00:07 AM

The way it can be done is using fuzzy logic.
You are connected to a computer, fully conscious.
The brain is copied into the computer.
One part of your brain is disabled and the computer takes over that task, then the next part is disabled and the computer takes over that and so on.
There is no way to tell when you go over from being human to a digital human if this is done gradualy so the digital human will be you.
Fleamint

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 10:04:25 AM

No, I don't think this will be possible. Brains have to be brains in order to generate consciousness an so on.
Bakonder

Activity: 45

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 11:19:06 AM

you will simply go to respawn location
or spirit healer, if you are more into World of Warcraft
Deep BTC (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 08:58:28 PM

Immortality sounds like a good idea at first, but it would get boring after a while.

Why is it boring to be alive? For example, if you ever live up to now, do you ever want to die?
There are always difficulties in our lives, but wanting to die is a very different situation.
Deep BTC (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 09:05:16 PM

Immortality will be possible if we don't end up ruining ourselves with nuclear weapons, we are understanding genetics better lately, and CRISPR might help us get farther in a much shorter time as well.kriti sanon hot

There had been a life extension by 30% on some rats, and human trials will commence in a couple of years to extend the lifespan of humans (it makes them younger, and increases life expectancy by 30% for rats, so there is a possibility of teh same result for humans).

I'd link you the research article but I don't have it anymore, you can probably find it somewhere in google.
yami gautam hot

Yes, it is possible to extend human life with genetic studies. It is a good success to extend your human life by 30%. But after 30% of the time is over we will die again Smiley
If transfer of human consciousness to the digital environment can be achieved, there will be real immortality.
mayxi865

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 04:40:12 AM

Google chief Futurist Ray Kurzweil (Ray Kurzweil) said in an interview with the magazine "dandy", in the near future, technology will make us smarter, healthier, more human life will bring about great changes. Kurzweil said, we are beginning to reinvent the outdated "life software", that is, the human body is known as the 23000 gene "small program". By reprogramming, we will help humans stay away from disease and aging. By 2020 or so, we will start using the robotic system to take over the immune system. By 2030, the blood of nano robots will be able to destroy pathogens, remove debris, thrombosis and cancer, correct DNA errors, and even reverse the aging process.
andrei56

Activity: 840
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 08:33:23 AM

Not possible, it may be possible to extend the live of humans for very extended periods of time but it is simply not possible to live forever since you can be subject to all kinds of disasters or accidents that may happen to you.
SuperVillain

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 10:17:59 AM

I'm immortal
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: