Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:05:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about immortality?  (Read 12053 times)
the.jack20

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 12:03:31 PM

We have to accept death. All living things will disappear. Our world has a certain life span. The universe has a certain life span.
After a specific moment, all energy in the world will be gone. And everything will be gone without asking for it.

It will be in big crunch as it is the big bang.
Everything in our life has a deadline. And beyond our life, as well. I do not believe in the immortality. I believe in the longevity. Many animals can live for over two hundred years. Scientists say that many insects live for a thousands of years, just falling into anabiosis. In this case, I believe, that some sort of immortality might exist.

For this, biological structures of animals in the nature can be examined. For example, elephants and turtles can live for 150-200 years.
Long life exists in other living things. It may be logical to examine them and apply them to human life.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 03:37:08 PM

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz
WCAMN

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 07:24:41 PM

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

I really like that quote! It explains the bad thing about immortality very well. When one's life is limited, the opportunities and experiences may seem infinite, but being immortal, one would put a limit on that. What comes after being sick of it all is obvious.
willope

Activity: 366
Merit: 261

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 08:41:41 PM

Objectively, we may reach immortality at some point. It might be attained by keeping the body forever healthy and avoiding death factors, or brain data uploading as suggested by some members. However I think it is not good from a psychological point of view. Can an endless life truly be called "life"? If being alive is defined as "not being dead", can life exist in the abscence of the concept of death? And somebody immortal would be mentally unstable, creating a "void" in his person, leading him to have no goals, and wishing his very own death.

But this way the concept of death would still exist, one could die in accident or in a war for example. The only change is that suicide would be a popular way to die. When you are bored to live thousands of years you simply kill yourselves.

Go get a job instead of wasting ur time with scams
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 01:26:05 AM

I think immortality is only gonna work in conjuction with perfect health. There's no way I'd want to live forever in a broken body.

The only viable possibility is by uploading your mind. The world can't cope with a few extra billion immortals eating and sitting,.

But even if you are digital what of the jobs? There won't be enough for the real people if the virtual ones are using their  centuries of experience.
cubradford

Activity: 55

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 01:58:28 PM

We have to accept death. All living things will disappear. Our world has a certain life span. The universe has a certain life span.
After a specific moment, all energy in the world will be gone. And everything will be gone without asking for it.

Everything in our life has a deadline. And beyond our life, as well. I do not believe in the immortality. I believe in the longevity. Many animals can live for over two hundred years. Scientists say that many insects live for a thousands of years, just falling into anabiosis. In this case, I believe, that some sort of immortality might exist.

For this, biological structures of animals in the nature can be examined. For example, elephants and turtles can live for 150-200 years.
Long life exists in other living things. It may be logical to examine them and apply them to human life.
I'm not saying that it is necessary to compare humans and animals. I say that there are a variety of creatures on Earth that, due to their physiology, live a little longer, but it can not be named "immortality".
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 02:20:33 PM

I'm not saying that it is necessary to compare humans and animals. I say that there are a variety of creatures on Earth that, due to their physiology, live a little longer, but it can not be named "immortality".

When we come to point where we could use medicine to create healthy living cells, that will be first step for humanity to become immortal. When you can create new organs, and replace old ones, in that moment we will become immortal. Because we can replace everything that is bad with new ones and continue living life.
WCAMN

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 06:50:57 PM

Objectively, we may reach immortality at some point. It might be attained by keeping the body forever healthy and avoiding death factors, or brain data uploading as suggested by some members. However I think it is not good from a psychological point of view. Can an endless life truly be called "life"? If being alive is defined as "not being dead", can life exist in the abscence of the concept of death? And somebody immortal would be mentally unstable, creating a "void" in his person, leading him to have no goals, and wishing his very own death.

But this way the concept of death would still exist, one could die in accident or in a war for example. The only change is that suicide would be a popular way to die. When you are bored to live thousands of years you simply kill yourselves.

It depends on what one means with immortality. If it means to never age, then what you said is simply true. However if it is the kind that just doesn't let you die like a fast regeneration even from a single cell, then that's when the hell starts.
saidhr20

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 03:53:12 AM

there's no such thing as immortality .. everything and everyone dies at some point
cubradford

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2017, 02:17:28 PM

When we come to point where we could use medicine to create healthy living cells, that will be first step for humanity to become immortal. When you can create new organs, and replace old ones, in that moment we will become immortal. Because we can replace everything that is bad with new ones and continue living life.
From this point of view, I didn't consider this as a problem. As an option, it is a real step forward. Perhaps it can bring immortality. But if you got killed, it is difficult to survive Smiley. So, we still cannot call that as immortality.
1524mash

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 04:19:37 PM

The right of the warrior, Forever to fight by your side, Send a sign, raise the sail, Wave a last goodbye, Destiny is calling..... Imortality be mine
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 07:51:04 PM

From this point of view, I didn't consider this as a problem. As an option, it is a real step forward. Perhaps it can bring immortality. But if you got killed, it is difficult to survive Smiley. So, we still cannot call that as immortality.
Hehehe you got me there. You are right, if someone would get killed that would be it for them. But i actually don't see point in killing someone in society where people are immortal. I mean what would be cause for one immortal person to kill another immortal? You have infinite time to make everything you want Cheesy .
wh04m1

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 05:25:30 AM

What do you think about immortality? Will people find immortality in the future?
Is it possible to transfer a digital copy of the brain to a computer environment?

I want to be immortal. But I do not think immortality will be found. Biologically, all our organs have a limit. But human life can be extended. For example, a healthy life up to 200 years may be possible. For this, long-lived animals need to be examined.
cubradford

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 03:42:39 PM

Hehehe you got me there. You are right, if someone would get killed that would be it for them. But i actually don't see point in killing someone in society where people are immortal. I mean what would be cause for one immortal person to kill another immortal? You have infinite time to make everything you want Cheesy .
I agree. But we are mortal creatures, and this mortality can be really spontaneous. And the humanity is the reason for that) For example, let's take a man and a woman. He would kill her husband to be with her. Immortality is impossible in this case.
myway-he

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 03:54:55 PM

I don't think anything about immortality. I'm sure that the afterlife doesn't exist. Modern technologies in medicine of course help to extend the life but this is not enough. There is such a thing as quality of life. Why do I life in the hospital?
cubradford

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 02:22:35 PM

About "such a thing as quality of life" I agree. If you live in happiness, you don't even have a thought about kiling somebody.
btcforum

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 03:38:51 PM

I think longer lives would be fantastic, but immortality would be a curse. If only you were to become immortal, it'd be a lonely life. Especially if you had to hide your immortality. If all humans were immortal, how would we procreate? It'd be like a standstill or the planet would be in ruins from overpopulation.

We should pursue medicine, not immortality. For reasons I stated above. It's just not feasible.
kingorbust

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 04:23:52 PM

Immortality is coming, probably sooner than we think. 100,150 years max, maybe even sooner. I think kurzweil believes much sooner.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
cubradford

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 02:27:39 PM

I think longer lives would be fantastic, but immortality would be a curse. If only you were to become immortal, it'd be a lonely life. Especially if you had to hide your immortality. If all humans were immortal, how would we procreate? It'd be like a standstill or the planet would be in ruins from overpopulation.

We should pursue medicine, not immortality. For reasons I stated above. It's just not feasible.

Curse, maybe. But we talk if all people will be immortal. Maybe that would be an impulse to open new planets and colonize them)
Actualiteit

Activity: 218

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:31:08 PM

I think people should not be immoral. It is a very bad thing. Please be tolerant of others yes!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: