Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:04:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Group Buy#1] Avalon ASICs CHIPS! Using JohnK as escrow! FINISHED!  (Read 150340 times)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:31:50 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2013, 05:55:41 AM by John (John K.)

Whew, finally got through to raging.
Chat log on GTalk below:

me: hello? I see you're there?
 Thomas:  I had a death in the family and my depression kicked back in. I have been going to therapy. I should be fine next week. But please do what is needed.
 me:  hey, I'm sorry to hear that. Sad
it's just that I got so many requests with the group buyers going nuts with me  Sad
would you go and clarify it with the buyers soon?
I'm sure they'll understand given the dire situation
also, my condolences
 Thomas:  It got out of hand. I almost had relapse. I am a lot better now but my therapist said that I need to take my mind off of stuff until it blows over. That's why I haven't been online or talking to anyone. Not even my friends.
Yes I understand I will do it first thing after church tomorrow.
 me:  Okay, I'll tell the buyers. Thanks again and may you get well soon
 Thomas:  Thank you
 me:  no problems and ttyl
 me:  Oops, one important thing to note - there's talks by the group buyers that you said you sold your home (where the chips are going to). Is that true?
I sure hope that wasn't the case lol
 Sent at 12:27 PM on Sunday
 Thomas:  No I just bought the house 4 months ago not sold -address redacted by John- you have the utility bills and everything I can provide updated ones for you
 me:  whew, that's a relief
thanks again - I'll clarify in the forums again

I guess we'll see what to do later.

Batch #1 was placed 4-27-13

Zefir's first order shipped and he received it a few days ago.  That was placed in what.. early April?  And i think the site gave Zefir a few days heads up as it went to 'chips shipped' a few days before he received them

There's no guarantee the time between orders is close at all to the time between shipment though

John K placed the order on Avalon's website so he can see the status of the order, last he posted it showed 'sample chips shipped'.  I would presume these also shipped to the old address.  raging said they had a bunch of customs problems, not sure if they ever made it through.

So basically the order was done in John K's name (and all the BTC was sent to his account as escrow).. but the actual shipping address was raging's old home.  The Avalon website doesn't support changing addresses normally and the description said they wouldn't support changing shipping addresses except in 'special cases'

Seems like the most important thing is to get ahold of Avalon, but they have essentially disappeared over the last two weeks.  

Theoretically you could ask the shipping company to hold the package (maybe even change the address) but who would they consider the person in authority to do that?  Avalon?  ragingazn?  John K?

It really sucks for ragin that he had a family emergency, and although he did say he'd try to get back to everyone 'tomorrow' (meaning the 22nd, this monday).

The bigger issue may be not that it's a scam or anything, but that the 'old address' thing was overlooked, or raging isn't able to get back in time, or avalon is unable to be contacted or refuses to change shipping address and they end up going to ... what, a house that nobody lives at?  A house that he sold to someone?

Double quote removed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AMuppInTime
Donator

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 05:02:09 AM

John, Thank you for updating.
Raging - I feel for a death in the family, but an 80,000$ order that OTHERS await on should be reason enough to keep folks updated, particularly when you seem to find time to log into GoogleTalk (which means you are on the net, and at least checking emails.)

Either way I deplore the way this order is going. I would like to change shipping if possible: I am worried about Raging's ability to conclude this transaction properly due to emotional stress and failure to behave in a business manner.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 05:19:14 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your death in the family, Raging, and I'm definitely sympathetic to your depression. My family has been affected by depression to various degrees over the years, so I get what you're going through. Thank you for getting back to us.

This update does make me feel a bit better. I'm glad to hear the chips aren't headed to an abandoned house or anything like that. If people still want me to take over, though, I'm still willing. Assuming, of course, we can get Avalon to change the shipping address.

Thanks for all your hard work on this group buy, John. You're definitely earning your commission!
Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 05:30:58 AM

Raging - I feel for a death in the family, but an 80,000$ order that OTHERS await on should be reason enough to keep folks updated, particularly when you seem to find time to log into GoogleTalk (which means you are on the net, and at least checking emails.)

Either way I deplore the way this order is going. I would like to change shipping if possible: I am worried about Raging's ability to conclude this transaction properly due to emotional stress and failure to behave in a business manner.

I'm a bit more sympathetic to raging. All that's really happened is a lack of communication, which is no worse than avalon, which makes me think that we should hopefully try to work with raging, or at the very least, have raging ship them to a more willing group seller considering the alternative of dealing with avalon honestly seems harder and until we get a response from them, presumably impossible.
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 07:51:14 AM

I'm a bit more sympathetic to raging. All that's really happened is a lack of communication, which is no worse than avalon, which makes me think that we should hopefully try to work with raging, or at the very least, have raging ship them to a more willing group seller considering the alternative of dealing with avalon honestly seems harder and until we get a response from them, presumably impossible.

Indeed. If raging isn't in any shape to distribute these chips himself (I am now strongly of the opinion he is not), the only responsibility raging might retain is sticking the shipment in overnight mail to a second distributor. That will make this a lot easier for him. ~$100k worth of hardware belonging to a bunch of nervous forum-goers is not something you want to deal with in addition to bereavement and depression.

I guess it'd be more convenient if we could change the order address outright, but express-mailing to ryepdx seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise at this point. The only question remaining is if raging is willing (and able) to redirect the package immediately.

We'd also need finalized documents detailing chip ownership, of course, but those should already exist.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 08:20:33 AM

Given the situation it would be better to remove the pressure on Ragin during this time.

I vote Ryepdx to take the lead on this and if necessary Noitev works with him on this possibly picking up the chips and forwarding them to Ryepdx if needed.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:26:14 PM

Depression is no joke, people who don't know about never understand its effects.. And good for them, since it's like being thrown off the mountain of life that you've been climbing and buried under an avalanche with no way of getting back to 'where you were' and sadly digging out on your own regardless of how many loved ones are around

He should forward the chips to rypedx and start his healing process away from all this

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:37:00 PM

So he gave his new address as the shipping address instead of the old one.  I'm glad that the address situation has been sorted out. 

We need to determine who is taking over.  It looks like ryepdx is the lead contender here, but I'd like to know so I can plan for assembly for my chips, seeing as raging's assembly service is no longer a viable option.  I'll most likely go with ryepdx's assembly now if he has room.

I'm really grateful for everyone's diligence here.  Hopefully we get some chips soon and can actually start mining! 
zamazama

Activity: 263
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 03:50:26 PM

I have personally paid for assembly in Europe (Burnin) as this chips were going there (EU) in the first place, when all the changes are being done, assembly should also be considered.

I'm not saying my assembly must be considered, but everyone should vote so that the bulk of the people are not inconvenienced.

Todamont

Activity: 603
Merit: 273

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:18:14 PM

If we can get Avalon to update the shipping info to Ryepdx's address, it seems clear that we should do that.

We need someone who is able to handle this in a professional manner and give us feedback on a regular basis until the chips are delivered. I have no hard feelings for Raging and I hope he makes a full recovery. The pressure of hundreds of customers asking about huge transactions that he is responsible for won't be helpful for his recovery and it has the potential to make him a lot of enemies if things go wrong, which could make his situation go from bad to worse. I'm still not entirely confident that we're not being scammed. I think Ryepdx could give us all some peace of mind by taking over shipping.  
ryepdx

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:27:29 PM

I'll most likely go with ryepdx's assembly now if he has room.

I'll take a look at my component supplies and see what the odds are of getting more of what I'll need, but no promises. And be aware that your chips will not be assembled until the components I ordered for your miner have arrived, which may result in your order being delayed relative to the rest of the orders from this group buy. I'll let you know the situation in my assembly thread once I've had a chance to make a proper assessment.

I have personally paid for assembly in Europe (Burnin) as this chips were going there (EU) in the first place, when all the changes are being done, assembly should also be considered.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but ragingazn628 is in the USA, not the EU.

I think Ryepdx could give us all some peace of mind by taking over shipping.  

Thanks for all the votes, people. I appreciate the confidence you have in me, and I'll do my best to not let any of you down if I'm chosen. I'm happy to have this chance to play a minor role in Bitcoin's early history. :-)
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:06:28 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been tremendously busy the past few weeks, and I've realized that when these chips ship, I'm not going to have time to do anything with them.  I've got 40 chips from this batch (3.233 BTC Cost).  If anyone would like to add to their own order, I'm willing to sell these 40 that I've got coming.

PM me an offer if interested.  We can do the full transaction very publically here.

Enigma
darkjed

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 02:37:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been tremendously busy the past few weeks, and I've realized that when these chips ship, I'm not going to have time to do anything with them.  I've got 40 chips from this batch (3.233 BTC Cost).  If anyone would like to add to their own order, I'm willing to sell these 40 that I've got coming.

PM me an offer if interested.  We can do the full transaction very publically here.

Enigma

Hey Enigma

Sent you a PM
flowdab

Activity: 215

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 02:44:31 PM

I'm okay with my chips (about 190) going to whomever as long as they're delivered to me timely. I understand depression can be tough to deal with and I think it would be best if someone were to take over for ragn and let him deal with his personal issues.

Can we move forward with changing the shipping address John?
ryepdx

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 08:11:43 PM

I'll most likely go with ryepdx's assembly now if he has room.

After looking at the components I have on hand and the availability of the components I would need to buy more of, I can't say I am comfortable with taking on more business at this point in time. I would recommend looking into steamboat's assembly service. Let me how things work out for you, though. If everyone else is closed up as well, I may be able to offer assembly again later on.
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 10:16:10 PM

Just throwing in another vote to transfer things to ryepdx.  I've got a lot riding on this (820 chips).  I feel for raging's situation, but it doesn't sound like he's in a position to deal with all of the shipping/paperwork involved with this order.  Let's pay someone else to deal with it and allow raging time to heal.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
AMuppInTime
Donator

Activity: 290

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:33:02 PM

+1 for ryepdx if he can step up. (70 chips.)
The steps from there would be to figure out how to contact Avalon & try to change shipping ... which would likely require JohnK's help at some point for identification/changing the address but ryepdx could look into the process / get the communication going. THEN we need an updated list of who gets what chips. THEN you need addresses. Not an easy transition, hopefully you can get in touch with Ragin and get it all smoothed out.
Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:54:20 AM

If possible, next time anyone talks to raging, please ask him about the 20 sample chips. That's the one thing that made me worry about this at all considering the "customs" thing and then his disappearance...
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:56:03 AM

If possible, next time anyone talks to raging, please ask him about the 20 sample chips. That's the one thing that made me worry about this at all considering the "customs" thing and then his disappearance...

+1 those dev chips should have already shipped to our designated developers as stated before.

The priority right now though is getting our group buy chips shipped to Ryepdx.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
zamazama

Activity: 263

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 09:28:57 AM

+1 those dev chips should have already shipped to our designated developers as stated before.

The priority right now though is getting our group buy chips shipped to Ryepdx.

Agreed ... think John should check and see of address update is still possible.

Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: