May 02, 2024, 03:20:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 8209 8210 8211 8212 8213 8214 8215 8216 8217 8218 8219 8220 8221 8222 8223 8224 8225 8226 8227 8228 8229 8230 8231 8232 8233 8234 8235 8236 8237 8238 8239 8240 8241 8242 8243 8244 8245 8246 8247 8248 8249 8250 8251 8252 8253 8254 8255 8256 8257 8258 [8259] 8260 8261 8262 8263 8264 8265 8266 8267 8268 8269 8270 8271 8272 8273 8274 8275 8276 8277 8278 8279 8280 8281 8282 8283 8284 8285 8286 8287 8288 8289 8290 8291 8292 8293 8294 8295 8296 8297 8298 8299 8300 8301 8302 8303 8304 8305 8306 8307 8308 8309 ... 33315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370937 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 09:34:54 AM

Too much mining? As in coins are getting created faster suddenly? Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spooderman
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 09:42:49 AM

I think it's nice to see it continue to rise, as this is our strength.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 09:59:04 AM

Explanation
spooderman
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 10:01:42 AM

russia to ban bitcoin apparently.

edit: just to drive home something Andreas often mentions. Officials making a currency illegal means you can be sure that they are accumulating as much of it for themselves as possible, as they understand its appeal and therefore its value.

Go ahead world leaders, make our currency illegal. It'll be just like cocaine. Reserved for you.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:09:56 AM

I don't like saying this...but my view (likely wrong) is it will drop to 400 or below....imho just too  much 'mining' via all the methods including
cloud hashing etc and just not enough use nor will to buy at this time...just sell asap ....hopefully this is short term...but just 'feels' like too much BTC being
converted directly to USD on all these mega farms and/or what few merchants like overstock.com etc are taking bitcoin...thus again imho we
are in this slump till around 400 usd or below...till some other aspects of use etc on Bitcoin return...(hopefully)

hoping the ETF by the facebook twins or just plain....expense of mining...glut stops and .shortens this 'slump period' again in my view ...but again i just
have a feeling that too much currency vs use and too much of that currency is being converted directly...thus an ugly pattern of bad news
or frak any news on BTC lately seems to be seen in the most negative light...and thus over reaction in my view to dump (at this time)

hope I'm wrong ...wanna be a bull......having identity crisis

anyway my view but don't mind me...I bought from BFL and Alpha Tech (got full refunds on both) and a NO ROI TITAN from KNC on order
so obviously I don't know WTF I'm talking about and am quite likely certifiably ready for a rubber room

but if BTC is a 3 legged stool mining/buying & selling/ use .... using BTC seems way back of the pack compared to the other two processes imho

just my demented view

Searing

Searing...

You are stating that you have a feeling that BTC prices will be going down into the $300s and you are jaded, and maybe you are even attributing your being jaded to the fact that you are being squeezed in the miner world.   Accordingly you seem likely to be over-extended in your BTC investment and not enough fiat cash flow and you are feeling unable to hodl.. .and you seem to be forced to sell BTC at these low prices and you are NOT able to mine enough BTC to be profitable. 

I believe that in your above post that you are attempting to be honest with us regarding your perspective, but I also believe that you are wrong about the direction of bitcoin prices... There is a possibility that you could be correct and BTC prices will be manipulated further down - but really there just seems to be too few people willing to continue to sell BTC at these low prices, and a large number of the well-to-do whales who had been buying into BTC between $680 and $480 are going to want to get their paydays and they are going to want to manipulate the BTC prices upward as far as they can pump it and then take some profits.  This upward pump is likely going to be in the $3k to $5k territory and it could go further than that with the right kinds of pushing upward and piling on of the masses that will want to get in on the deal while it is moving upward in prices.

This upward pump may not occur in the coming weeks, but surely it is going to come sooner or later.. probably in no more than a year from now.. but seemingly within the coming months and before the middle of 2015 is more likely b/c big people and investors into BTC are likely going to be running out of patience soon and are going to want some upward price movement to cash out some of the profits.... which are much more easily to manipulate upward than downward... especially once the upward momentum starts.

In other words, I would NOT bank on such ability for downward BTC price manipulation in to the $300s, but I would maintain some cash on hand just in case there is some success in such downward BTC price manipulations in the coming months.  I am betting that the likelihood is greater that BTC's price movement is going to be upward rather than continuing to go downward.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:12:58 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 10:33:27 AM by Searing

all mega mines as far as I know like knc etc dumpt to usd the same day for accounting
and all mega mines in USA pretty much have to do so due to IRS any holding of coin
is considered capital gains and if sold within 1 year 40% plus 25% taxed on what you mine
so if they cash out the same day to usd they get around this rule

ie....too much selling not enough holding nor useage

again i LIKELY don't know wtf I'm talking about..but seems lopsided compared to use of bitcoin
and/or holding as an investment

Searing

I don't like saying this...but my view (likely wrong) is it will drop to 400 or below....imho just too  much 'mining' via all the methods including
cloud hashing etc and just not enough use nor will to buy at this time...just sell asap ....hopefully this is short term...but just 'feels' like too much BTC being
converted directly to USD on all these mega farms and/or what few merchants like overstock.com etc are taking bitcoin...thus again imho we
are in this slump till around 400 usd or below...till some other aspects of use etc on Bitcoin return...(hopefully)

hoping the ETF by the facebook twins or just plain....expense of mining...glut stops and .shortens this 'slump period' again in my view ...but again i just
have a feeling that too much currency vs use and too much of that currency is being converted directly...thus an ugly pattern of bad news
or frak any news on BTC lately seems to be seen in the most negative light...and thus over reaction in my view to dump (at this time)

hope I'm wrong ...wanna be a bull......having identity crisis

anyway my view but don't mind me...I bought from BFL and Alpha Tech (got full refunds on both) and a NO ROI TITAN from KNC on order
so obviously I don't know WTF I'm talking about and am quite likely certifiably ready for a rubber room

but if BTC is a 3 legged stool mining/buying & selling/ use .... using BTC seems way back of the pack compared to the other two processes imho

just my demented view

Searing

Searing...

You are stating that you have a feeling that BTC prices will be going down into the $300s and you are jaded, and maybe you are even attributing your being jaded to the fact that you are being squeezed in the miner world.   Accordingly you seem likely to be over-extended in your BTC investment and not enough fiat cash flow and you are feeling unable to hodl.. .and you seem to be forced to sell BTC at these low prices and you are NOT able to mine enough BTC to be profitable. 

I believe that in your above post that you are attempting to be honest with us regarding your perspective, but I also believe that you are wrong about the direction of bitcoin prices... There is a possibility that you could be correct and BTC prices will be manipulated further down - but really there just seems to be too few people willing to continue to sell BTC at these low prices, and a large number of the well-to-do whales who had been buying into BTC between $680 and $480 are going to want to get their paydays and they are going to want to manipulate the BTC prices upward as far as they can pump it and then take some profits.  This upward pump is likely going to be in the $3k to $5k territory and it could go further than that with the right kinds of pushing upward and piling on of the masses that will want to get in on the deal while it is moving upward in prices.

This upward pump may not occur in the coming weeks, but surely it is going to come sooner or later.. probably in no more than a year from now.. but seemingly within the coming months and before the middle of 2015 is more likely b/c big people and investors into BTC are likely going to be running out of patience soon and are going to want some upward price movement to cash out some of the profits.... which are much more easily to manipulate upward than downward... especially once the upward momentum starts.

In other words, I would NOT bank on such ability for downward BTC price manipulation in to the $300s, but I would maintain some cash on hand just in case there is some success in such downward BTC price manipulations in the coming months.  I am betting that the likelihood is greater that BTC's price movement is going to be upward rather than continuing to go downward.

I am holding am not selling nor likely too...just saying that what I see as stagnation....(probably stated my views badly ...likely) but some gov't actions like China etc do have meaning
on bitcoin price..again speculating but imho if china had taken more of a USA approach to bitcoin...likely we'd be at 1.5k a coin now...so between the press/media FUD and
the fact of all the centralization of mining etc....(a lot of the proponents of BTC were home miners...ie the cheerleaders...pushing the coin..they now seemed pushed out) and the likely bubble that was china...well

just feeling melancholy

that and the fact today I had a mess of contractors and others thru my house in that it is being remodeled and they asked what the KNC jupiter miner was in the  basement (5 seperate occasions as I lead plumber/electrican/contractor for estimates  thru the house and one other neighbor who chased me down in the basement for me to fix her  laptop...)

well in each individual instance...they asked about setup i said it was a Bitcoin miner KNC Jupiter (minnesota usa) well in each instance they all acted like they found me growing pot in the basement

so from the looks on faces and rapid change of context after stating this ...I asked if they heard of it ..universally they had heard it was for drug deals and illegal was it not?

no sh*t...so i got them to come around to the view of it is independent xfer of $$$ w/o banks etc...which I'm not sure they bought...again this was 5 diff people on 5 diff occasions
in my basement seeing the miner...and stating the above...

so I guess I need lock my door and next time i troop a mess of contractors thru the basement etc ....i should throw a box over the miner...was very awkward and not just 1x ..5x I went thru this

thinking about it this evening i realized that everyone (with the exception of my brothers who speculate in markets) act like when they hear I'm in Bitcoin the same way you hear
of someone in Amway...sure people may make money with amway ..but no one wants anything to do with it...same jibe..again with the exception of my two brothers who speculate
in stocks (one for a living) since last summer NO ONE with the exception of them has NOT thought it was a scam/ponzi or illegal...all FUD...and of course you try to change their mind
but they get that closed look on face that the media/news would not spread FUD look ..ie there must be something to the bitcoin scam or they would have heard otherwise...

then again I'm so far in the sticks this may just be the way it is till the press/media do less FUD on bitcoin...so anyone I talk to about bitcoin universally in my limited view
thinks it is everything the press/media says it is ...ie a scam..

just maybe having a bad day...but I mean really Ebay announces it is taking bitcoin and nothing happens in the market....price wise it goes sideways?

well anyway will hold till btc is worth zip ...made all of it mining...still have my 1st btc....just having the beanie babies heebie jeebies after today

anyway.....the suspense of this stagnation slow drip downward is just getting to me I guess...todays little escapade did not help my view it is going to be accepted quickly either

then again they all probably think the apple pay plan is a scam too...

Searing

spooderman
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 10:15:39 AM

What is the evidence of manipulation? Genuinely asking, not sarcasm.

Also Searing, we know it's you that's writing your posts.

You don't need to write Searing at the end of them.

PGP signing the messages...now that might be worthwhile.

Not Searing
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:36:29 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 10:49:28 AM by Searing

What is the evidence of manipulation? Genuinely asking, not sarcasm.

Also Searing, we know it's you that's writing your posts.

You don't need to write Searing at the end of them.

PGP signing the messages...now that might be worthwhile.

Not Searing

yeah my hook so to speak

as far as manipulation..not sure it truely is manipulation as such...just coin keeps getting made ...and probably the price reflects people who are holding are comfortable with that
but not getting more coin (i'm one of these) newbies seem to have dried up....thus with more coin and less use other then holding...by that I mean not enough useage of the coin
in the international transfer of $$$ it is made for....and add to that the cheerleaders who promote the idea of bitcoin ..home miners seem to be getting out of mining..and more
to large mining farm operations and cloud mining of whatever...seems to have fizzled in the publics eye

so not manipulation just after china and the 1100 bubble and all the centralized minning going right to usd etc...seems to me a constant process of sell with little incentive
to buy and hold bitcoin (at this time) ..i am not enthused to buy more at this time because I obviously from my posts don't know WTF I'm talking about

anyway....something hopefully will break soon upward and you can all have a laugh at my expense...just saying if you make coin and it goes to usd and you sell something
on overstock.com to a customer and it goes to usd...well it really don't matter if BTC is 10 usd or 1000 usd as long as the exchange works...just wondering wtf the bottom
is and annoyed after today on all the FUD people now seem to believe...hope you are correct ..and I just had a bad day...I just think it is gonna get (hopefully only for a bit)
worse before again hopefully it climbs back into better acceptance..again as I said right now the consensus seems to be distaste...

actually the hope is on 3rd world using this more...USA etc maybe it will always be a niche we have cc and banks and such....hopefully going better there...just saying
in the last year in my area it seems to accepted as nothing more then beanie baby scam repeat

should probably just man up and buy more coin....but again my ego took a hit today...home mining seems to be dead for me now (15c/kwh don't cut it anymore) ...cloud
minng may actually be a scam from what I can tell on prices.....just not seeing a lot of unicorns and rainbows lately

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:36:48 AM

all mega mines as far as I know like knc etc dumpt to usd the same day for accounting
and all mega mines in USA pretty much have to do so due to IRS any holding of coin
is considered capital gains and if sold within 1 year 40% plus 25% taxed on what you mine
so if they cash out the same day to usd they get around this rule

ie....too much selling not enough holding nor useage

again i LIKELY don't know wtf I'm talking about..but seems lopsided compared to use of bitcoin
and/or holding as an investment

Searing

You are right on the spot. Apart from taxing issue, people don't realize increasing usage of bitcoin for payments is one of the factors driving the price down. No one buys bitcoins to spend them immediately in retail, those payments are from holders, usually paying for some equipment. Manufacturers drop them immediately to fiat through payment processors to cover the expenses, maybe keeping just the profits in BTC, and that is also questionable. If we could take a looksie at insides of those large sell orders I bet you will see correlation with batches of miners being sold.
foozewol

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:49:45 AM

If we will break through $480 I will make a party, holding hard.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:57:41 AM

If we will break through $480 I will make a party, holding hard.

yeah me too despite my crisis of confidence....BTC will have to hit 150 usd or below for me to start to hurt

now then again the bad choice of the KNC Titan NO ROI scrypt miner 1st batch...that is gonna hurt..but has nothing
to do with the previous btc I mined.....bad choice on my part (in my defense knc went from the Pope to Darth Vader
in 1 year with all the $$$ they made I guess $$$ really really do corrupt!)

so figuring in the above NO ROI Titan....if it gets below $350 usd you could say that is the true cost

WTF in 30 years they will put me in an Assisted Living place if I'm lucky ..have to have something to talk about....

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:59:06 AM

Explanation
magicmexican

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 11:19:00 AM

And meanwhile while btc is stuck, someone is trying to pump the doge.

Btw, the huobi looks worse than stamp, i expect stamp to follow and pullback to 460$ range again soon'ish
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 11:59:04 AM

Explanation
mooncake

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:42:05 PM

400+ bid wall at Stamp. Choo choo......
bigdave

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:42:31 PM

With no volume and a 460 btc wall on Bitstamp, we're not going up anytime soon. Pathetic.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:43:05 PM

[ ... ] contractors and others thru my house in that it is being remodeled and they asked what the KNC jupiter miner was in the  basement (5 seperate occasions [ ...)]  in each instance they all acted like they found me growing pot in the basement

so from the looks on faces and rapid change of context after stating this ...I asked if they heard of it ..universally they had heard it was for drug deals and illegal was it not? [ ... ]

Well, buying illegal drugs is certainly one of the things that attract some people to bitcoin.

I would even guess that the July 2012 price bubble was due to drug users and dealers adopting bitcoin.  The price drop after the SilkRoad seizure shows that hat such use contributed significantly to the demand.

Someone noted that the LocalBitcoins BTC:USD volume has been increasing:

Looking closely, the volume was actually flat from January to late May, then jumped up by 30%, and remained flat until twoo weeks ago, when it had another large jump.

That rise in LocalBitcoins traffic in late May coincided with the still-unexplained sudden price rise from ~450$ to ~650$. 

I understand that one advantage of buying through LocalBitcoins, rather than at an exchange or Coinbase, is to avoid the KYC/AML controls of the latter.  So, could it be that the late May mini-bubble was due to a surge in demand for illegal drug traffic?  The opening of OpenBazaar perhaps?

But then why didn't we see another price increase over the last two weeks, to match the the sharp rise in LocalBitcoins volume?
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:54:43 PM

[ ... ] contractors and others thru my house in that it is being remodeled and they asked what the KNC jupiter miner was in the  basement (5 seperate occasions [ ...)]  in each instance they all acted like they found me growing pot in the basement

so from the looks on faces and rapid change of context after stating this ...I asked if they heard of it ..universally they had heard it was for drug deals and illegal was it not? [ ... ]

Well, buying illegal drugs is certainly one of the things that attract some people to bitcoin.

I would even guess that the July 2012 price bubble was due to drug users and dealers adopting bitcoin.  The price drop after the SilkRoad seizure shows that hat such use contributed significantly to the demand.

Someone noted that the LocalBitcoins BTC:USD volume has been increasing:

Looking closely, the volume was actually flat from January to late May, then jumped up by 30%, and remained flat until twoo weeks ago, when it had another large jump.

That rise in LocalBitcoins traffic in late May coincided with the still-unexplained sudden price rise from ~450$ to ~650$.  

I understand that one advantage of buying through LocalBitcoins, rather than at an exchange or Coinbase, is to avoid the KYC/AML controls of the latter.  So, could it be that the late May mini-bubble was due to a surge in demand for illegal drug traffic?  The opening of OpenBazaar perhaps?

But then why didn't we see another price increase over the last two weeks, to match the the sharp rise in LocalBitcoins volume?

Silk Road was a road block for bitcoin
bigdave

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:56:58 PM

The btc gods must have been listening. There is a pickup in volume on Bitstamp.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:59:04 PM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 8209 8210 8211 8212 8213 8214 8215 8216 8217 8218 8219 8220 8221 8222 8223 8224 8225 8226 8227 8228 8229 8230 8231 8232 8233 8234 8235 8236 8237 8238 8239 8240 8241 8242 8243 8244 8245 8246 8247 8248 8249 8250 8251 8252 8253 8254 8255 8256 8257 8258 [8259] 8260 8261 8262 8263 8264 8265 8266 8267 8268 8269 8270 8271 8272 8273 8274 8275 8276 8277 8278 8279 8280 8281 8282 8283 8284 8285 8286 8287 8288 8289 8290 8291 8292 8293 8294 8295 8296 8297 8298 8299 8300 8301 8302 8303 8304 8305 8306 8307 8308 8309 ... 33315 »
  Print  

Jump to: