May 04, 2024, 09:04:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 13022 13023 13024 13025 13026 13027 13028 13029 13030 13031 13032 13033 13034 13035 13036 13037 13038 13039 13040 13041 13042 13043 13044 13045 13046 13047 13048 13049 13050 13051 13052 13053 13054 13055 13056 13057 13058 13059 13060 13061 13062 13063 13064 13065 13066 13067 13068 13069 13070 13071 [13072] 13073 13074 13075 13076 13077 13078 13079 13080 13081 13082 13083 13084 13085 13086 13087 13088 13089 13090 13091 13092 13093 13094 13095 13096 13097 13098 13099 13100 13101 13102 13103 13104 13105 13106 13107 13108 13109 13110 13111 13112 13113 13114 13115 13116 13117 13118 13119 13120 13121 13122 ... 33321 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371842 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:22:56 PM

Can somebody explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old:

XT is supposed to make bitcoin futureproof, but how is it going to achieve that, when it can be spammed up to ~1.15gb / day, meaning that it'll take just 100 days for a determined attacker to increase the blockchain to +115gb, and around a year to take it up half a terabyte.

Terabyte hard drives are standard now. A year from now 5 TB drives will be standard. That's a worst case scenario and could still be easily handled. 

The worst case scenario is that someone starts spamming the blockchain with the 8mb blocks. Then, next thing you know, people will say "ohh these 8mb blocks are full, we need bigger blocks". Then you get 20mb blocks and ~3gb/day of bloat / >1 tb per year. And who is to stop them spamming the 20mb blocks and getting them full too? What's next? We'll be asking for 100mb blocks? This is madness.

Personally I don't believe that even the 750k/1mb blocks are full by legitimate transactions and not bogus transactions. I believe these bogus transactions are created to stir a "debate" about "ohh we need bigger blocks" and stuff so that we can then go on and shoot ourselves in the foot by "accepting" larger blocks as the "natural evolution".

We have to deal with a reality here: Big banks, credit cards, swift etc, don't want BTC to succeed. Bloating it is a very cheap way they can use to kill it. It's much cheaper than a 51% and cheaper than manipulating the BTC market. And it will be FAAAAAAAAAR cheaper to enable that attack vector with 8mb or 20mb blocks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:23:55 PM

There will only be a fork once 75% have moved to XT. Up to that point there is but one chain.  Once the fork occurs, there will be a very rapid migration of the remainder to the consensus chain. There will be no extended period of duplicate chains.

How do you know how long this will take and what the consequences will be in the meantime? Define extended period? As far as I understand it, this is going to be messy as hell and even if the old chain is sold into oblivion in 72 hours, the PR damage will be permanent and who knows who is going to get scammed or which transactions will get completely fucked in the meantime.

The main reason for a short life of two paralell coins, is that liquidity the the all importan statistics. Two coins almost exactly the same is totally unstable. It has to lean to one side or the other, then the one with smaller popularity will take the liquidity hit and land hard.

"As to what will happen if/ when there is a hardfork:

Currently MultiBit Classic and HD both will follow the chain with the most work done in it.
Thus in a hardfork all the existing MultiBit code will follow the 'winner'. This is how the normal one or two block forks (that occur reasonably frequently) get resolved so it should just be the same but on a larger scale.

Both MultiBit Classic and HD connects to Bitcoin Core and XT happily and they should work correctly with larger blocks. The bloom filtered blocks Core/ XT send back to MultiBit are the same - MultiBit is agnostic about connecting to Core or XT."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.msg12154185#msg12154185

So all over in about twenty minutes or so.

That is just one wallet... Everyone needs to have a similar feature already built into their systems before that majority hits. At the current rate of adoption that looks to be less than 3 weeks away.
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:28:26 PM

Keep fuc*ing that bear guys. I want morz dumps until this gets resolved so I can get morz coins cheaper.
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:30:11 PM

XT is supposed to make bitcoin futureproof, but how is it going to achieve that, when it can be spammed up to ~1.15gb / day, meaning that it'll take just 100 days for a determined attacker to increase the blockchain to +115gb, and around a year to take it up half a terabyte.

Terabyte hard drives are standard now. A year from now 5 TB drives will be standard. That's a worst case scenario and could still be easily handled. 

The worst case scenario is that someone starts spamming the blockchain with the 8mb blocks. Then, next thing you know, people will say "ohh these 8mb blocks are full, we need bigger blocks". Then you get 20mb blocks and ~3gb/day of bloat / >1 tb per year. And who is to stop them spamming the 20mb blocks and getting them full too? What's next? We'll be asking for 100mb blocks? This is madness.

Personally I don't believe that even the 750k/1mb blocks are full by legitimate transactions and not bogus transactions. I believe these bogus transactions are created to stir a "debate" about "ohh we need bigger blocks" and stuff so that we can then go on and shoot ourselves in the foot by "accepting" larger blocks as the "natural evolution".

We have to deal with a reality here: Big banks, credit cards, swift etc, don't want BTC to succeed. Bloating it is a very cheap way they can use to kill it. It's much cheaper than a 51% and cheaper than manipulating the BTC market. And it will be FAAAAAAAAAR cheaper to enable that attack vector with 8mb or 20mb blocks.

I think you have just gone Full Retard Conspiracy Theory there.  The issue is smaller than that, the solution is even simpler.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:30:34 PM

this, and the fact that the free fee market would solve any traffic glut is what make me suspect that the blocksize crusade is just an inside job for a controlled demolition of btc.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:33:16 PM

I think the best solution is to make this whole ordeal automatic. Obviously, we're going to need larger blocks in the future, as bitcoin becomes accepted in more and more places. If we do not increase the limit, there will be no more bitcoin. An altcoin with a less stubborn dev team will take up the mantle of the face of cryptocurrency and pick up right where bitcoin left off.
The problem with leaving it up to the community is the same as leaving the halving up to the community, I think. Sorry to say, I dont trust people with that decision, be they node runners or not. There should be a set mathematical model based on community growth rates and estimated physical storage capacity. This is a fundamental issue that satoshi did did not seem to solve, this is about as important as the distribution of bitcoin and the 21 million limit. I also agree with ronald98, downloading and/or indexing the whole thing is a pain in the ass. I've recently had to reindex the blockchain and my computer has taken about 4 days doing so. What determines how long it takes, processing power?

it only takes me a few hours to do the work. you should consider upgrading your hardware if you want to do the work faster. in other words.. dont buy you pc from best buy because they dont care how long it takes you to download and index block chain. you trying to store everything on your one os drive and wondering why you are so slow. maybe one day pcs that u buy from best buy will care about the blockcahin and come with os drive + striped set of hard drives for you to download and index your blockchain.. not to mention your games will run better when run from striped drives as well. to be top your game is helpful to be ahead of the game. a best buy gimp pc isn't made for bitcoin.. if it takes you four days to download and index blockchain the you should consider keeping your coins on an exchange lol.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:36:21 PM

There will only be a fork once 75% have moved to XT. Up to that point there is but one chain.  Once the fork occurs, there will be a very rapid migration of the remainder to the consensus chain. There will be no extended period of duplicate chains.

How do you know how long this will take and what the consequences will be in the meantime? Define extended period? As far as I understand it, this is going to be messy as hell and even if the old chain is sold into oblivion in 72 hours, the PR damage will be permanent and who knows who is going to get scammed or which transactions will get completely fucked in the meantime.

The main reason for a short life of two paralell coins, is that liquidity the the all importan statistics. Two coins almost exactly the same is totally unstable. It has to lean to one side or the other, then the one with smaller popularity will take the liquidity hit and land hard.

"As to what will happen if/ when there is a hardfork:

Currently MultiBit Classic and HD both will follow the chain with the most work done in it.
Thus in a hardfork all the existing MultiBit code will follow the 'winner'. This is how the normal one or two block forks (that occur reasonably frequently) get resolved so it should just be the same but on a larger scale.

Both MultiBit Classic and HD connects to Bitcoin Core and XT happily and they should work correctly with larger blocks. The bloom filtered blocks Core/ XT send back to MultiBit are the same - MultiBit is agnostic about connecting to Core or XT."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.msg12154185#msg12154185

So all over in about twenty minutes or so.

That is just one wallet... Everyone needs to have a similar feature already built into their systems before that majority hits. At the current rate of adoption that looks to be less than 3 weeks away.

I want every wallet provider, electrum, mytrezor, mycelium... to declare where they stand. There should be enough time, no rush.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:42:39 PM

this, and the fact that the free fee market would solve any traffic glut is what make me suspect that the blocksize crusade is just an inside job for a controlled demolition of btc.

The banks are all on the outside looking in, doing nothing. They think they can wait to see if it succeeds, maybe the second, third or fourth generation, then go all in using their share size power, and depending on the state to fend off competition. Not this time, bitcoin is the real thing, there is no second take.

Or...for savers, the second take is to go in now, late compared to the Elder Whales, but early compared to just about anyone else.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:54:53 PM

It's not only the physical sizeof the hard drive needed to store the blockchain that's causing problems. The length of time it takes to index the blockchain is getting longer as the size of the blockchain increases. That creates problems for anyone running a full wallet that needs to use it in a hurry if it takes hours, days, or weeks to index.

oh, right. Because bandwidth never increases and CPUs never get faster.  These arguments are bullshit. What's the real reason here?  is this FUD to drive the price down or is this some game of chicken between different factions to see who can rule That Which Cannot Be Ruled tm?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:03:10 PM

Coin
Explanation

Norway

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:09:50 PM

Bitcoin XT just became the third largest user agent:
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:45:43 PM

Lol I feel sorry for people coming into BTC for the first time and having to decipher all of this. Shit is crazy. Whatever, I'm holding til the end.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:47:45 PM

Lol I feel sorry for people coming into BTC for the first time and having to decipher all of this. Shit is crazy. Whatever, I'm holding til the end.

Ahahaha, it's a crucial time for everyone. I hope all the bitcoin will choose the right thing--- because sooner or later the block size must increase.
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:48:01 PM

1MB blocks actually incentivize a spammer, as we saw during the tx spam exercises of the last weeks. Reason: it's much cheaper to do. Spammers get their transactions (and attached fees) kicked out of the mempool after not getting into maxed out blocks. This allows them to just do it over and over again, much more cheaply than if those tx were actually included in a block with their fees collected by the miners. The scenario you propose would be much more expensive to sustain with larger blocks, with that increased expense going to the miners.

Node concentration is a concern with more demanding requirements for running a full node, and should not be ignored, but staying at 2.7 tx per second to infinity is potentially much more damaging to this grand experiment. We'll never know how it might impact node count and concentration unless we do a modest increase and measure the result.

The intransigence and vitriol coming from MP, the PR gal, and his toadies is a sign of the weakness inherent in their position. Rather than appeal to reasoned judgement, it devolves into name calling and fear mongering in a grand ego stroking exercise. There will be no larger blocks unless 75% of solved blocks are made by nodes supporting >1MB, this means consensus will have already happened, and the orphaned chain will die quickly as <25% of hashing power will face an impossible difficulty. My prediction is that the 25% will quickly upgrade so they are mining the chain that will actually be worth something.

There's no question this debate and stalemate has been impacting confidence in the exchange rate, and rightly so. On a positive note, once this is settled and Bitcoin has a tx throughput that isn't laughable for a global p2p digital cash system... the fear dissolves and we can dust off those old moon boots.
fonsie

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:50:56 PM

We've past 400 nodes https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/?q=70010
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:59:31 PM

Do nodes really matter though if miners don't switch to XT?
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:01:39 PM

Do nodes really matter though if miners don't switch to XT?

Yes of course, miners without nodes are useless. Because the nodes broadcast the transactions through the network, so actually it is best firstly the nodes and after the miners (aka big pool).
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:02:58 PM

Coin
Explanation

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:11:39 PM

Ahahaha, it's a crucial time for everyone.
Every day is crucial for bitcoin during last 6 years. Nothing really new here.
babaquara

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:46:13 PM

what's the blue thing below explanation in the chartguy's posts?
Pages: « 1 ... 13022 13023 13024 13025 13026 13027 13028 13029 13030 13031 13032 13033 13034 13035 13036 13037 13038 13039 13040 13041 13042 13043 13044 13045 13046 13047 13048 13049 13050 13051 13052 13053 13054 13055 13056 13057 13058 13059 13060 13061 13062 13063 13064 13065 13066 13067 13068 13069 13070 13071 [13072] 13073 13074 13075 13076 13077 13078 13079 13080 13081 13082 13083 13084 13085 13086 13087 13088 13089 13090 13091 13092 13093 13094 13095 13096 13097 13098 13099 13100 13101 13102 13103 13104 13105 13106 13107 13108 13109 13110 13111 13112 13113 13114 13115 13116 13117 13118 13119 13120 13121 13122 ... 33321 »
  Print  

Jump to: