April 27, 2024, 04:47:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15774 15775 15776 15777 15778 15779 15780 15781 15782 15783 15784 15785 15786 15787 15788 15789 15790 15791 15792 15793 15794 15795 15796 15797 15798 15799 15800 15801 15802 15803 15804 15805 15806 15807 15808 15809 15810 15811 15812 15813 15814 15815 15816 15817 15818 15819 15820 15821 15822 15823 [15824] 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 15839 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 15862 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 15872 15873 15874 ... 33304 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368600 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 05:40:47 PM

Obviously, why the hell would the NSA actively try to help people avoid government taxes & make anonymous money transfers.

You only *think* bitcoin is anonymous.

True, it's not.

it is, if you really want to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 05:47:42 PM

Because the pumpers are all about screwing over every single auction winner, by pushing the market price as high as possible to the day of the auction. Go back and look at all the other prior auction days, there's been a pre-auction pump like clockwork.

Tim Draper's result aside, we don't know what prices any of the other auctions fetched. We did hear from unsuccessful bidders and the gist seemed to be they were lowballing quite significantly.

Still, exchanges intentionally screwing the bidders is kind of fun.

It's almost back up to $580 on stamp again. If it's pumpers screwing the bidders I hope they pump it back above $600, or better than that $700. They only have to buy 4000 coins on stamp, and 2700 coins on finex to hit that $700+ target.
kobilica

Activity: 280
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 05:59:05 PM

Obviously, why the hell would the NSA actively try to help people avoid government taxes & make anonymous money transfers.

You only *think* bitcoin is anonymous.

True, it's not.

it is, if you really want to.

Correct, you have point, but only if:

If you don't convert to fiat - it is. As soon as you convert to fiat, you might be seen by someone / pictured by camera ATH.
petahashminer
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1037

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 06:00:35 PM

So, price on friday above $600 , or down again?

there is a significant rise in the last two hours.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10167

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 06:22:47 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2016, 08:27:18 AM by Lauda

I think the Bitfinex hack has more of us on edge because at least with MtGox there were months and months of warning signs including the inability to withdraw your fiat, their dwolla account being closed, etc. So most people who had any intelligence got out. The only people still on MtGox before it was "hacked" were taking advantage of wild swings due to pure chaos on the exchange.

With Bitfinex it was seen as fairly secure because it had been around as long as most of the older exchanges, it had gone through a lot of transparent security measures and everyone felt fairly confident in the exchange (as confident as you can be). I even used to recommend to people that they use Bitfinex to loan their fiat for 20-30% yearly. They would tell me that such returns required high risk. My response was that since each loan was paid back the only risk was the exchange going under, which was not likely.

This is not a faulting of Bitcoin itself, but people might not feel very confident putting any money on any exchange if Bitfinex could be hacked. This cuts down on the speculation aspect of Bitcoin which contributes to the price. It is just a matter of time without an exchange hack to get people to feel more confidence in trading again.

When it comes down to it, most of Bitcoin's problems tend to come from the interactions with the fiat system.

In the short term, it's going to be a good buying opportunity. Long term we're still solid.

I am not even sure if the above bolded statement is true.  Probably, mostly true, but there are also some problems with irreversibility and loss of passwords that take a certain amount of precautions... but even if it is mostly true, we cannot really get too worked up about "the problems with bitcoin coming from interaction with fiat" because there is no real way to wish that away or to attempt to minimize it in the short term - we have systems that are more than 99% in fiat.. and likely not going to achieve meaningful divergence from such fiat systems, in the short to medium term, so we really have to "deal with" these fiat interaction issues and figure out ways to either lessen or spread such risks.

I think we first go short, then long to a new highs... Smiley

Sounds like you are talking your book... There is no reason that we go short before we go long...

There have already been several downward attempts on the price, and sure you could be correct that there will be another one or that the next downward attempt (if there is one) will be successful, but certainly, you gotta be careful, at this point regarding how much you were to bet on downwards.

Well, as you can see, we go down now... Maybe we go down a little bit more before the uptrend resumes.

GL on your trades Smiley

I don't see that we are going down at this particular time....

You still seem to be in a kind of fantasy thinking....

It is kind of a trading phenomenon that we cannot always determine where we are at when we are in the midst of it, not with any meaningful degree of certainty (unless we happen to be a decent sized whale or someone with greater insider information than the average person)...

But, anyhow, in one of my recent posts, I had suggested that it is beginning to appear that more or less we are in about a $550 to $590 price range for the past couple of weeks... and accordingly, I would not get too worked up about calling one direction or another until we either get close to breaking out of the range or we actually break out of the range.

Frequently, posters here, either the trolls or the ones who are too emotional about their current bitcoin position, have a kind of tendency to attempt to call the trend (or the break out) too early...   And, for whatever reason, your recent posts seem to fit in that category of calling matters way too early - which ends up being a mischaracterization regarding what seems to be actually taking place...  
kobilica

Activity: 280
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 07:07:37 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4xz8je/bitstamp_working_on_adding_support_for_ledger_and/

It's not implemented yet, and I didn't red article carefully. Btw, Trezor wallet = hardware wallet.
savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 07:28:07 PM

When it comes down to it, most of Bitcoin's problems tend to come from the interactions with the fiat system.

~$70 million of their problems came from their oh-so-clever 2-of-3 wallet implementation.
If not for "the fiat system" they wouldn't have a business (which, as I understand it, is exchanging BTC into fiat and back again).

Once you have bitcoins you shouldn't need to go back to the fiat system and all the problems that come with it.

Get real, Elwar.

I am not trying to be argumentative with you, but merely because you are making an attempt to detach yourself from fiat does not justify that others should engage in such efforts to make meaningful attempts in that fiat detachment direction.  

Your proposal is just not realistic for a very large majority of folks who are not going to want to put so much of their financial future into bitcoin and such a likely to continue to be volatile situation.

Actually what he speaks is actually very true. But you just need to find places with enough infrastructure to support that. Like a village or city where everyone uses just BTCitcoin.

*Edit: If you have at least an almost closed circuit economy. Self sustainable in a degree of ~50% at least. Then you will have less and less contact with the fiat system, and you will have less tendencies to indulge the fiat corruption or to keep feeding their repetitive money laundering system.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 07:33:13 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4xz8je/bitstamp_working_on_adding_support_for_ledger_and/

It's not implemented yet, and I didn't red article carefully. Btw, Trezor wallet = hardware wallet.

Check the tweets below. It's nothing to do with how the exchange itself operates, it's for customer Trezors to interact with it. Hopefully it'll lead to more.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 08:21:26 PM

~$70 million of their problems came from their oh-so-clever 2-of-3 wallet implementation.
If not for "the fiat system" they wouldn't have a business (which, as I understand it, is exchanging BTC into fiat and back again).

Once you have bitcoins you shouldn't need to go back to the fiat system and all the problems that come with it.

Get real, Elwar.

I am not trying to be argumentative with you, but merely because you are making an attempt to detach yourself from fiat does not justify that others should engage in such efforts to make meaningful attempts in that fiat detachment direction. 

Your proposal is just not realistic for a very large majority of folks who are not going to want to put so much of their financial future into bitcoin and such a likely to continue to be volatile situation.

My own attempt to detach from fiat is not just for myself but to prove that it can be done. And it can. My location or the infrastructure around me is a lot more difficult than it is for most people as I am in a foreign country where I do not even speak the language.

Sure, in places without the Internet it may be difficult. I defer to those places alternatives to Bitcoin.

Telling the first people with telephones that people will not want to invest in these expensive devices that can only be used to talk to a few people who also have telephones that they should just stick with the telegraph because a large majority of folks are not going to put up with such large hassle and expense with so few rewards.

Volatility goes away when those majority of people are using Bitcoin. And the fiat system will go the way of the telegraph.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 08:31:48 PM

Get real, Elwar.

My own attempt to detach from fiat is not just for myself but to prove that it can be done. And it can. My location or the infrastructure around me is a lot more difficult than it is for most people as I am in a foreign country where I do not even speak the language.

Sure, in places without the Internet it may be difficult. I defer to those places alternatives to Bitcoin.

Telling the first people with telephones that people will not want to invest in these expensive devices that can only be used to talk to a few people who also have telephones that they should just stick with the telegraph because a large majority of folks are not going to put up with such large hassle and expense with so few rewards.

Volatility goes away when those majority of people are using Bitcoin. And the fiat system will go the way of the telegraph.

Your point is clear and I think most of us would love to have the same possibility that you are experiencing right now. I mean Bitcoin has proved itself: it simply works. But, as you pointed out, is far from being recognized for what it is and what it could do.
I hope it's only a matter of time when people like you (us) will not be threatened by TPTB for having rich such a financial independence.
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 08:53:39 PM

Someone care to speculate what price would reach BTC if a random guy (or agency) decides to buy 1 million?

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10167

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 08:57:23 PM

Get real, Elwar.

You get me wrong, if you believe that I am suggesting that folks should not aspire to using bitcoin.

My criticism of your earlier post is the characterization that seemed to come through as "all people have to do is... blah blah blah"

There is a difference between aspiring and promoting something and acting as if it is easy for everyone to accomplish.

I stand by my earlier comment in the assertion that it is no easy task for folks to attempt to incorporate bitcoin into all or most parts of their lives.... Sure it is great for the infrastructure that people like you are willing to go through the extra efforts to push such ideologies, but don't assume that it is any kind of easy barrier for anyone that is less than evangelistic about bitcoin, such as you and some of the other bulls (sure I am a kind of bull myself, but I am not going to assume that using bitcoin is easy for folks). 

Surely, we need to get a lot more  bitcoin infrastructure in place before we begin to argue "all you have to do is... blah blah blah, bitcoin."   
Adriandmen

Activity: 292
Merit: 251

Telegram: @Adriandmen

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 09:00:12 PM

Someone care to speculate what price would reach BTC if a random guy (or agency) decides to buy 1 million?

The price would rise to about $610. But not very long after that, the price would also drop (like a price correction).

So, in short terms, a lot would be happening, but in long terms, it would probably keep on the same course.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 09:00:37 PM

I think it would be hysterical to observe. First off you'd get the morons with no vision selling for peanuts. Slowly it would dawn on everyone else that the buyer from hell was on the scene. The same morons would probably FOMO and pile in again.

All the while the wise owls would be deserting the exchanges in droves until the price for what was left would leave everyone gasping. Then the buying would stop and there'd be the worst crash of any type in any type of history. Cue ten or more years of peace and quiet while some wounds were licked and others partied to expiration.

The price would rise to about $610. But not very long after that, the price would also drop (like a price correction).

So, in short terms, a lot would be happening, but in long terms, it would probably keep on the same course.

I think you need to add 2-3 zeroes to the end of your figure.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 09:36:48 PM

I think maybe they could pull off an AVG price of like 690 if there were really good / lucky
but then market would probably rocket to 32,000 soon after, unless these 1million coins didnt get sold off trying to pull a profit.

if you are in to buy 1million coins @ <650  but then ready to sell the coins you bought @<650  @ >690; market will probably just end up being STUCK at 670 for a like a month.

the float across all exchanges is probably like 1 or 1/2 a million coins. so its probably possible to buy a million coins pretty fast sub 700, but then the float is 0..... so if you HODL like a MOFO, KA-Fucking-BOOM bitcoin must goes up like 10X to inorder get poeple sending more coins back on exchanges.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 09:43:36 PM

market will probably just end up being STUCK at 670 for a like a month.

You mean 666 Cool
InitcoiN

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 10:36:33 PM

I think we first go short, then long to a new highs... Smiley

Sounds like you are talking your book... There is no reason that we go short before we go long...

There have already been several downward attempts on the price, and sure you could be correct that there will be another one or that the next downward attempt (if there is one) will be successful, but certainly, you gotta be careful, at this point regarding how much you were to bet on downwards.

Well, as you can see, we go down now... Maybe we go down a little bit more before the uptrend resumes.

GL on your trades Smiley

I don't see that we are going down at this particular time....

You still seem to be in a kind of fantasy thinking....

It is kind of a trading phenomenon that we cannot always determine where we are at when we are in the midst of it, not with any meaningful degree of certainty (unless we happen to be a decent sized whale or someone with greater insider information than the average person)...

But, anyhow, in one of my recent posts, I had suggested that it is beginning to appear that more or less we are in about a $550 to $590 price range for the past couple of weeks... and accordingly, I would not get too worked up about calling one direction or another until we either get close to breaking out of the range or we actually break out of the range.

Frequently, posters here, either the trolls or the ones who are too emotional about their current bitcoin position, have a kind of tendency to attempt to call the trend (or the break out) too early...   And, for whatever reason, your recent posts seem to fit in that category of calling matters way too early - which ends up being a mischaracterization regarding what seems to be actually taking place... 

We just trying to share with the community what the numbers say to us, no emotional component here (we care on this point). All using our free platform, you can check this Wink

We will update with a new TA on the other post soon..
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 11:13:26 PM

TA is BS.
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 11:31:23 PM

TA is BS.

It comes in useful, if only because of self-fulfilling prophecy. Just take the halving top - an almost perfect 61.8% fib of the bubble high to post-bubble low.
Hyperjacked
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1119

It's all mathematics...!

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 11:34:28 PM

What if the random guy sells...?
Pages: « 1 ... 15774 15775 15776 15777 15778 15779 15780 15781 15782 15783 15784 15785 15786 15787 15788 15789 15790 15791 15792 15793 15794 15795 15796 15797 15798 15799 15800 15801 15802 15803 15804 15805 15806 15807 15808 15809 15810 15811 15812 15813 15814 15815 15816 15817 15818 15819 15820 15821 15822 15823 [15824] 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 15839 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 15862 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 15872 15873 15874 ... 33304 »
  Print  

Jump to: