May 09, 2024, 04:28:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15789 15790 15791 15792 15793 15794 15795 15796 15797 15798 15799 15800 15801 15802 15803 15804 15805 15806 15807 15808 15809 15810 15811 15812 15813 15814 15815 15816 15817 15818 15819 15820 15821 15822 15823 15824 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 [15839] 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 15862 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 15872 15873 15874 15875 15876 15877 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 ... 33336 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26380851 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:50:18 PM

Yeah that's why no one in the world is using wire transfers, you know cause "there is no way as of yet to do a refund or a redo if you send coins wire to the wrong addy,or if you get hacked at home on your PC"  Roll Eyes

If all fiat transactions were bank wires, fiat money would have died on the vine & you'd have a great point. As it stands...

all fiat transactions and bank wires will be on the blockchain come 2018

https://www.db.com/newsroom_news/2016/medien/utility-settlement-coin-concept-on-blockchain-gathers-pace-en-11661.htm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:18:21 PM

https://blog.blockchain.com/2016/08/29/an-update-on-thunder-on-chain-settlement-or-claim-all-the-things/

So it seems all this payment channely type stuff may not be quite as straightforward as everyone expects.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10233

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:38:19 PM

https://blog.blockchain.com/2016/08/29/an-update-on-thunder-on-chain-settlement-or-claim-all-the-things/

So it seems all this payment channely type stuff may not be quite as straightforward as everyone expects.

As consumers or users of bitcoin, we don't necessarily need to know or understand the various technicalities, except to have some faith that other technical folks know and understand what they are doing.

In the end, we work with the interface and if it seems that the funds are secure, then we consider whether it is worth it to us to pay whatever it is that they are charging comparing other competing systems.

Also, even if we are not personally using the various payment systems on a regular basis, we can also remain involved by using the storage of value aspects (hopefully, diversifying, to some extent, our various categories of asset holdings with a reasonable portion held in bitcoin).
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:55:52 PM

It feels like the cryptomarket is just waiting for a solid scaling solution to happen for the price to skyrocket...
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:04:39 PM

It feels like the cryptomarket is just waiting for a solid scaling solution to happen for the price to skyrocket...

Yeah right.  Haven't you figured it out yet that the scaling issue (solution) is just made up?

The fact of the matter is that scaling is always going to be some kind of concern/issue in bitcoin, and accordingly, from time to time there are going to need to be adjustments and tweaks to balancing usefulness, security and spam... Currently, the blocksize limit is not a problem, and it is just a fabricated problem.  There are tweaks in the works including seg wit that are going to bring additional functionality and abilities to process larger volumes...

The other fact of the matter is that the price is merely going through a consolidation that is not really very connected to scaling - but instead just questions about whether the price is going up or down (which includes some considerations regarding whether we are going to experience another Bitfinex fiasco).  The recent bitfinex fiasco likely brings some hesitations concerning whether the next pump is going to be up or down.

podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:20:47 PM

Are you saying there is no solution to the scaling problems? I didn't quite catch that
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:39:36 PM

Are you saying there is no solution to the scaling problems? I didn't quite catch that

I'm saying that it is an overly inflated issue that doesn't really matter as much as you are making it out to matter in your assertion that the "market is waiting for a solution"

Also, I am saying that how matters are progressing now are good enough for what we've got.

For example, if BTC blocksize limit goes to 2mg or 4mg or 100mg, that is not going to solve any problems more than it potentially creates unnecessary  bloat problems.
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:13:30 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 04:05:55 AM by beastmodeBiscuitGravy

You ever converse with a brick wall? Yeah, that's about what it's gonna be like.

You're exactly right. Speculative markets are forward looking, and as they see zero progress towards increasing Bitcoin's capacity... the capacity for price growth is similarly capped.

But it's only Bitcoin that's slipped this particular noose around its own neck... to the dramatic speculative benefit of competing networks in the "cryptomarket".

https://twitter.com/ErikVoorhees/status/770373513685241856
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:35:09 PM

Hitting a scaling buffer is a nice problem to have in a way. I wonder how many alts could deliver their claims without hiccups. Perhaps we'll never know.
savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 12:54:07 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 01:10:57 AM by savetherainforest

Hitting a scaling buffer is a nice problem to have in a way. I wonder how many alts could deliver their claims without hiccups. Perhaps we'll never know.

And back to the real world... sh!t is happening... or going down!  Roll Eyes

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/recall-us-ambassador-republic-moldova-mr-james-pettit         (NATO may have a direct border with Russia earlier than expected ... soon!  >insert perv Borat picture here!<)

Link...         (Aha... yep... Kurdistan has now more air support and anti-aircraft military equipment... awkward...  Roll Eyes )

Link...         (Well lets see those scrambles and fighter jet planes that the US send for the Kurdish army to fight against Syria & Turkey put in action!  Shocked )
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 01:07:02 AM

I'm saying that it is an overly inflated issue that doesn't really matter as much as you are making it out to matter in your assertion that the "market is waiting for a solution"

Also, I am saying that how matters are progressing now are good enough for what we've got.

For example, if BTC blocksize limit goes to 2mg or 4mg or 100mg, that is not going to solve any problems more than it potentially creates unnecessary  bloat problems.

Also, to supplement my earlier post, may of us should recall various criticisms of BTC regarding how it is supposedly not efficient enough, flexible enough, and it cannot be programmed as easily to carry out a large variety of automated tasks... and therefore, bitcoin is dead versus various bitcoin 2.0.. blah blah blah.

The most important things about bitcoin is it's security, especially when we are talking about it's first application (currency).  Yes, likely in the near future, bitcoin is going to be able to do a lot more things, but let's walk before we run... and also, let's build up (and continue to build up) our user base.

There continue to be a lot of people "on the fence" about bitcoin, and they are not "on the fence" because of some kind of supposed "scaling solution," they are on the fence because (not necessarily in the following order):  1) they are waiting for others, 2) they are waiting for user-friendliness 3) they want to be comfortable that their investment is going to hold value (or better yet, appreciate in value).
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 01:11:47 AM

You ever converse with a brick wall? Yeah, that's about what it's gonna be like.

You're exactly right. Speculative markets are forward looking, and as they see zero progress towards increasing Bitcoin's capacity... the capacity for price growth is similarly capped.

But it's only Bitcoin that's slipped this particular noose around its own neck... to the dramatic speculative benefit of competing networks in the "cryptomarket".

O.k... go ahead Biscuit...   You are playing on the same theme in which you are arguing that bitcoin's price is supposedly capped by its lack of innovation.

Go ahead... name some competing networks in the cryptomarket that are better than bitcoin for what bitcoin does... that is secure, decentralized immutability.

We are waiting.................  Roll Eyes  Go on... be specific.
BathSaltsDealer

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 01:25:08 AM

Yeah that's why no one in the world is using wire transfers, you know cause "there is no way as of yet to do a refund or a redo if you send coins wire to the wrong addy,or if you get hacked at home on your PC"  Roll Eyes

If all fiat transactions were bank wires, fiat money would have died on the vine & you'd have a great point. As it stands...

https://www.db.com/newsroom_news/2016/medien/utility-settlement-coin-concept-on-blockchain-gathers-pace-en-11661.htm

Comes the revolution, we'll all eat strawberries and cream!

P.S. this thread's mostly JJG :\
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 01:46:40 AM

Don't underestimate yourself. You've got plenty of IDs to keep us entertained Cheesy
savetherainforest

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 02:35:25 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 06:19:57 AM by savetherainforest

Comes the revolution, we'll all eat strawberries and cream!

Your name is inspirational dear sir... Gives hope to humanity!  Cheesy ... Yep... he has his tones... that JJG ... when someone steps on his cat-like tail and wakes up from his parallel universe sleep.. then he just decides to visit us and spam us with novel worthy chunks of text.  Cheesy  Roll Eyes

And besides the "The JJG Factor" ... I see a lot of promise... The coin keeps the super coil going... The world does more war... More pension funds go bust... 52$ billion in Japan (I wonder about that gambling money... where those $ went  Roll Eyes) ... And now it started in US... everywhere.. everyone is buzzing about pension funds going bust... and pointing the finger to the Federal Reserve of US that its their fault because they don't raise rates... And also... there was some official weirdness statement... that all pension funds that are in countries with near 0% interest rates... they get thrown in to the stock markets, because there are better yields there... but they seem to lose money!   Shocked

*Edit: ... Does anyone here know why the Roman Empire collapsed?   ( hint.. hint... pensions!  Roll Eyes)

*Edit: ... Where is Jimbo? ... did he gave up on being relentless?  Cheesy
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 06:38:15 AM

One may argue a lot but the Roman Empire fell for basically these three reasons altogether: overexpansion and military overspending (USA should be careful about that), economic troubles and overreliance on slave labor (this reminds the actual EU problems with immigration), last but not least Christianity started the demolish from the inside out.

Before Christianity was accepted Rome was bound to respect their rulers as gods. After that everything changed.

About pensions... I totally agree savetherainforest. My pension fund is in Bitcoin, I'm building it myself, I own the keys and I own my hard earned funds.
savetherainforest

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:22:51 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 08:10:27 AM by savetherainforest

One may argue a lot but the Roman Empire fell for basically these three reasons altogether: overexpansion and military overspending (USA should be careful about that), economic troubles and overreliance on slave labor (this reminds the actual EU problems with immigration), last but not least Christianity started the demolish from the inside out.

Before Christianity was accepted Rome was bound to respect their rulers as gods. After that everything changed.

About pensions... I totally agree savetherainforest. My pension fund is in Bitcoin, I'm building it myself, I own the keys and I own my hard earned funds.

Wars in the bronze age / medieval times... it was a self sustainable process, it would have taken months or at least a month for supplies to get from Italy to most West or Center Europe regions... the problems where not slaves... The problem was technology! Because there was a "Maunder Minimum" situation when the empire fell... And besides that I think it was in a period of dictatorship followed by anarchy or something like that... It was a combo of things!

But the most important one was the pension system.... yeah.. it is hard to believe they had pensions! .. And I was talking about that "mini ice-age" situation that happen then... That made a hyperinflation situation that made gold useless! Imagine everyone trying to buy food that is limited in supply. And that is the main reason it made the romans stop their expeditions in the cold and ready for glaciation lands of central and north Europe...  Smiley ... Then from the year 400 till 700 most of the history was displaced in the south... and after the year 700 the Vikings appeared and started doing sh!t till 1100-1200.. when another mini-ice age hit... then another period of prosperity till 1600 <-> 1750 ... and now our Sun is again on the cycle ready to go and stir some sh!t up! I foresee the population of the globe reaching 4 billion till 2035... I already embraced the path of the bretharian ... I mostly need water, air and some herbs... but the problem is air. I live in a region with hundreds of square kilometers of forest and I still get pollution!... I was visiting in one day one of the medium cities... and I almost couldn't breathe! ... I'm thinking of creating my own algae oxygen production farm.. I think that would be a profitable business in the future. Smiley  Cheesy

*Edit: I believe starting a business/company of building homes underground in mountain and hill regions with self sustainable equipment and a long degradation rate... will make good bargaining chips in the future for shares in corporations or buying big chucks of countries.

*Edit2: I also believe Russia will eventually blow up in 10 years or so all over the globe in all the big cities a few EMP nukes to kill all the cars or most of the polluting sources that influence the atmosphere. Because no one will ever listen or even remotely try to "go green", before anyone can do anything about it or start doing something about it in the next 5-10 years. So... bikes and horse seem a good alternative... Also starting a company building mechanical cars like those Swiss clocks that you turn them and they work for days... A concept like that for cars would just solve all the problems.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:42:57 AM

Yeah right.  Haven't you figured it out yet that the scaling issue (solution) is just made up?

The fact of the matter is that scaling is always going to be some kind of concern/issue in bitcoin, and accordingly, from time to time there are going to need to be adjustments and tweaks to balancing usefulness, security and spam... Currently, the blocksize limit is not a problem, and it is just a fabricated problem.  There are tweaks in the works including seg wit that are going to bring additional functionality and abilities to process larger volumes...

The other fact of the matter is that the price is merely going through a consolidation that is not really very connected to scaling - but instead just questions about whether the price is going up or down (which includes some considerations regarding whether we are going to experience another Bitfinex fiasco).  The recent bitfinex fiasco likely brings some hesitations concerning whether the next pump is going to be up or down.

I disagree , I think scaling (and LN in particular) deserves all the attention it is getting.  
Once we have great scale, and improved privacy/fungibility, we are technically golden imho.  All the other bells and whistles that will be added are just extras.  The only thing I would still really worry about is government reaction to improved privacy (which I would partially understand from their point of view).  And of course security could be an issue (Imagine if all or most Trezors became compromised  Undecided ), but I expect security practices to keep improving over time.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 09:11:51 AM

I explained Bitcoin to my grandmother and she thought it was a great solution to the problems of banking and fiat currencies. She pulled out her pocketbook to buy some bitcoins then she stopped and said

"wait, are the blocks going to scale beyond 1mb or are they going to offer some sort of channel solution to handle transaction volume?"

I told her it was still under discussion.

She slammed her pocketbook shut and said "I'll stick with fiat thank you very much!"
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 09:59:46 AM

I disagree , I think scaling (and LN in particular) deserves all the attention it is getting.  

One thing I'm curious about, did LN arrive from nowhere and then Core latched onto it? I can't quite remember how it emerged.
Pages: « 1 ... 15789 15790 15791 15792 15793 15794 15795 15796 15797 15798 15799 15800 15801 15802 15803 15804 15805 15806 15807 15808 15809 15810 15811 15812 15813 15814 15815 15816 15817 15818 15819 15820 15821 15822 15823 15824 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 [15839] 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 15862 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 15872 15873 15874 15875 15876 15877 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 ... 33336 »
  Print  

Jump to: