April 28, 2024, 12:25:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 16539 16540 16541 16542 16543 16544 16545 16546 16547 16548 16549 16550 16551 16552 16553 16554 16555 16556 16557 16558 16559 16560 16561 16562 16563 16564 16565 16566 16567 16568 16569 16570 16571 16572 16573 16574 16575 16576 16577 16578 16579 16580 16581 16582 16583 16584 16585 16586 16587 16588 [16589] 16590 16591 16592 16593 16594 16595 16596 16597 16598 16599 16600 16601 16602 16603 16604 16605 16606 16607 16608 16609 16610 16611 16612 16613 16614 16615 16616 16617 16618 16619 16620 16621 16622 16623 16624 16625 16626 16627 16628 16629 16630 16631 16632 16633 16634 16635 16636 16637 16638 16639 ... 33305 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368845 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:17:16 PM

I fully understand the drive to enable growth but we must be very careful.

I'll tell you a story that is not very nice but here it goes.

Children that are born early are kept in special hospital departments. Sometimes, under those conditions, their organisms try to grow very fast BUT their lungs are not mature enough to support a bigger body size. Doctors then try to inhibit growth to save them from their death. Very sad situation!  Embarrassed

It's very similar with the current situation of bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:17:42 PM

It's already the people with the best hardware that make the most money. This is part of the design. It is not a flaw or anything new.

I'm not speaking of mining.

Also, to play your game.

It's already the people who pay the highest fees that get fast confirmations. This is part of the design. It is not a flaw or anything new.
One of these is not like the other.

And why would you speak of anything but mining? Increased hardware demands won't affect regular wallet users.

Are you suggesting that there aren't benefits to using a full node as your wallet?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:18:00 PM

Children that are born early are kept in special hospital departments. Sometimes, under those conditions, their organisms try to grow very fast BUT their lungs are not mature enough to support a bigger body size. Doctors then try to inhibit growth to save them from their death. Very sad situation!  Embarrassed

A bad analogy is like a fart. Nobody likes it.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:18:30 PM

It's already the people with the best hardware that make the most money. This is part of the design. It is not a flaw or anything new.

Also, to play your game.

It's already the people who pay the highest fees that get fast confirmations. This is part of the design. It is not a flaw or anything new.

And why would you speak of anything but mining? Increased hardware demands won't affect regular wallet users.

Are you suggesting that there aren't benefits to using a full node as your wallet?
Only for the paranoid, or people who mine anyway.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:20:26 PM

What about it? What implications are you trying to get at?

Larger blocks require more resources which harms decentralization.

This is getting tired. Why don't you pick one quote tree and stick to it.

I'm simply responding to you. I sorry if that is making you tired. Feel free to stop discussing this at any point.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:21:57 PM

I'm simply responding to you. I sorry if that is making you tired. Feel free to stop discussing this at any point.
You are speaking of non-mining bitcoin users who use a full node as their wallet.

That's a personal choice, in no way a necessity. Is this really what you base your opposition to larger transaction volume on?
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:22:02 PM

If there had been a HF three years ago from 1MB to 2MB, we'd already be hitting the 2MB limit and BU supporters would be screaming that we need to immediately HF again to 4MB.  And so on, and so on.

They act like that wouldn't be true, but we all know it would.

So apparently for them, every time the block size limit is reached, the solution is simply another 2MB increase.  On and on, until mining centralization by like one person with a total hardware & hashpower monopoly is complete.

Well FU, BU.
The current limit is not enough for mainstream use. That is a hard fucking mathematical fact. The transaction limit will have to be raised one way or another, sooner or later.

So you're cool with destroying decentralized mining, so the block size can be raised ad infinitum to support the "mainstream". Got it.

Which btw, bitcoin users are certainly not "mainstream". Those are called "fiat users".  Bitcoin users use bitcoin for different reasons entirely than the mainstream, one of them being decentralization.
Why would it affect decentralization?

Resources exist and have costs.
Water is wet.

Since you can't seem to figure it out on your own, I'll give you a hint.

When you increase the amount of resources required to accomplish something, less people are able to accomplish it. I'll let you figure out how that affects decentralization.

It's only the people with the cheapest electricity that make the most money. They are the miners

Hardware has almost nothing to do with full nodes because of the 1MB blocksize. If it were more, then I don't know if that would be the case.
Why would you even suggest that hardware doesn't much matter? Do we really need to go into the very basics of how mining works? Seriously?

I am talking about hardware to run a node and you are talking about mining. Not the same.
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:22:48 PM

A bad analogy is like a fart. Nobody likes it.

I never said it was nice!  Lips sealed
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:22:58 PM

Also, to play your game.

Well, I guess we've found the problem.

If your premise is that wanting to run a full node is only for the paranoid, I guess you can justify larger blocks.

I'm going to have to disagree with your premise though.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:24:02 PM

If there had been a HF three years ago from 1MB to 2MB, we'd already be hitting the 2MB limit and BU supporters would be screaming that we need to immediately HF again to 4MB.  And so on, and so on.

So apparently for them, every time the block size limit is reached, the solution is simply another 2MB increase.  On and on, until mining centralization by like one person with a total hardware & hashpower monopoly is complete.

Well FU, BU.
The current limit is not enough for mainstream use. That is a hard fucking mathematical fact. The transaction limit will have to be raised one way or another, sooner or later.

So you're cool with destroying decentralized mining, so the block size can be raised ad infinitum to support the "mainstream". Got it.

Which btw, bitcoin users are certainly not "mainstream". Those are called "fiat users".  Bitcoin users use bitcoin for different reasons entirely than the mainstream, one of them being decentralization.

Water is wet.

When you increase the amount of resources required to accomplish something, less people are able to accomplish it. I'll let you figure out how that affects decentralization.

It's only the people with the cheapest electricity that make the most money. They are the miners

Hardware has almost nothing to do with full nodes because of the 1MB blocksize. If it were more, then I don't know if that would be the case.
Why would you even suggest that hardware doesn't much matter? Do we really need to go into the very basics of how mining works? Seriously?

I am talking about hardware to run a node and you are talking about mining. Not the same.
Why run a full node if you are not mining, other than paranoia? What are the practical reasons?
Killerpotleaf

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:24:13 PM

would you agree that if bitcoin doubles its user base this will help decentralization?

would you agree that if a signficant % of its userbase start using the second layer this will incentivize them to run first layer nodes and second layer nodes.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:24:27 PM

You are speaking of non-mining bitcoin users who use a full node as their wallet.

That's a personal choice, in no way a necessity. Is this really what you base your opposition to larger transaction volume on?

If users have to depend on others to run full nodes, Bitcoin is no longer censorship-proof.
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:25:26 PM

Well FU, BU.

Water is wet.

Why run a full node if you are not mining, other than paranoia? What are the practical reasons?

To cast my vote on every block and not allow Jihadi-sons-of-bitches destroy things without my consent? Is that good enough?
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:25:40 PM

Indeed, but technological resources are increased over time, thus allowing higher capabilities at same costs (over the years).

As I wrote a few posts ago, in 97, my bandwidth, cpu, storage, ram, was 1/1000th of what I now have.

My pc could probably process ...1kb blocks back then... now 1mb... in 20 years, maybe 1gb.

Satoshi never intended for the 1mb to be set indefinitely. He said, we'll raise it when needed.

Obviously you don't want to have too much, because then it hurts in decentralization and leaves the door open for spamming the blockchain.

It just needs a proper balance.

I think the choices that exist right now may not be enough to gather a good consensus (like 90%+) which may in turn create the need for a new proposal.

- BU is trash, nobody in their right mind wants it.
- Segwit will not get adopted because it increases "complexity" and it makes some miners uncomfortable (translation for: "I like the bitcoin I know, I don't want it to change, with the remote chance it introduces unknown risks")

So, given that neither will go ahead, we'll have to make some other arrangement like a 2mb upgrade in the short term, if we don't want to stick with 1mb. But this option doesn't exist right now and should be programmed and provided by core (=reputable source of code).
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:26:07 PM

Also, to play your game.

Well, I guess we've found the problem.

If your premise is that wanting to run a full node is only for the paranoid, I guess you can justify larger blocks.

I'm going to have to disagree with your premise though.
I keep multiple coins on my phone. Walking around money for convenience. Bog-standard and cheap smartphone with no special precautions. No problems in several years of doing this. So please explain why you feel the need to use a full node if you are not going to mine with it.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:27:37 PM

If users have to depend on others to run full nodes, Bitcoin is no longer censorship-proof.
This is how it has been except in the very earliest years. Again, nothing new under the sun and most future users won't be running full nodes either. Most current users don't.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:28:49 PM

would you agree that if bitcoin doubles its user base this will help decentralization?

It depends. If they are users who are crying because they can't afford competition for fast confirmations, I doubt they are going to be running full nodes.

would you agree that if a signficant % of its userbase start using the second layer this will incentivize them to run first layer nodes and second layer nodes.

Same as above, I doubt those who want "cheap, fast" transactions are going to bother with the expense of running a full node.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:29:31 PM

Well FU, BU.

Water is wet.

To cast my vote on every block and not allow Jihadi-sons-of-bitches destroy things without my consent? Is that good enough?
That matters about as much as a bad analogy. I mean a fart, excuse me. Without any measurable impact on the network, not to mention the fact it wastes money if you are not mining at a profit, it's just another emotional rationalization, not a practical reason.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:32:58 PM

Indeed, but technological resources are increased over time, thus allowing higher capabilities at same costs (over the years).

As I wrote a few posts ago, in 97, my bandwidth, cpu, storage, ram, was 1/1000th of what I now have.

My pc could probably process ...1kb blocks back then... now 1mb... in 20 years, maybe 1gb.

Satoshi never intended for the 1mb to be set indefinitely. He said, we'll raise it when needed.

Obviously you don't want to have too much, because then it hurts in decentralization and leaves the door open for spamming the blockchain.

It just needs a proper balance.

I think the choices that exist right now may not be enough to gather a good consensus (like 90%+) which may in turn create the need for a new proposal.

- BU is trash, nobody in their right mind wants it.
- Segwit will not get adopted because it increases "complexity" and it makes some miners uncomfortable (translation for: "I like the bitcoin I know, I don't want it to change, with the remote chance it introduces unknown risks")

So, given that neither will go ahead, we'll have to make some other arrangement like a 2mb upgrade in the short term, if we don't want to stick with 1mb. But this option doesn't exist right now and should be programmed and provided by core (=reputable source of code).
That's the idea I'm backing. Changing a one to a two ought to be a speedy process, and testing to make sure it works properly can't possibly be another multi-year process.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 07:34:24 PM

So please explain why you feel the need to use a full node if you are not going to mine with it.

Privacy. Censorship resistance. Security.

This is how it has been except in the very earliest years. Again, nothing new under the sun and most future users won't be running full nodes either. Most current users don't.

So... because decentralization is hard and most users don't bother with it, we should ignore it. I disagree.

I would imagine those who are willing to secure large values with Bitcoin are interested in the benefits of running a full node.
Pages: « 1 ... 16539 16540 16541 16542 16543 16544 16545 16546 16547 16548 16549 16550 16551 16552 16553 16554 16555 16556 16557 16558 16559 16560 16561 16562 16563 16564 16565 16566 16567 16568 16569 16570 16571 16572 16573 16574 16575 16576 16577 16578 16579 16580 16581 16582 16583 16584 16585 16586 16587 16588 [16589] 16590 16591 16592 16593 16594 16595 16596 16597 16598 16599 16600 16601 16602 16603 16604 16605 16606 16607 16608 16609 16610 16611 16612 16613 16614 16615 16616 16617 16618 16619 16620 16621 16622 16623 16624 16625 16626 16627 16628 16629 16630 16631 16632 16633 16634 16635 16636 16637 16638 16639 ... 33305 »
  Print  

Jump to: