June 20, 2024, 04:07:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 2591 2592 2593 2594 2595 2596 2597 2598 2599 2600 2601 2602 2603 2604 2605 2606 2607 2608 2609 2610 2611 2612 2613 2614 2615 2616 2617 2618 2619 2620 2621 2622 2623 2624 2625 2626 2627 2628 2629 2630 2631 2632 2633 2634 2635 2636 2637 2638 2639 2640 [2641] 2642 2643 2644 2645 2646 2647 2648 2649 2650 2651 2652 2653 2654 2655 2656 2657 2658 2659 2660 2661 2662 2663 2664 2665 2666 2667 2668 2669 2670 2671 2672 2673 2674 2675 2676 2677 2678 2679 2680 2681 2682 2683 2684 2685 2686 2687 2688 2689 2690 2691 ... 33464 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26403762 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:27:57 PM

Movement north, followed by a brief "aha" relief.  Now everyone is watching.

Basically (NSFW):
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3170507_o.gif
DDreez

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:30:04 PM

Is there anyone here who's been able to withdraw through SEPA from Gox? If so, how long did it take?

Got on e through earlier this week that had taken about six weeks.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:33:31 PM

When the crash comes, I think not many in the forum is buying. After going to $2k and crashing to $1k, would you really buy? Everybody is shitless by then. It is completely at the mercy of the new money then.

If it goes to 2k and sets up a correction situation and I sell, yes, absolutely I would buy back at 1k. Also, if looking at the history of BTC,  if I had fresh capital I would DEFINITELY invest at 1, because BTC has always and will always (for a while) retrace its previous highs. So by going to 2k, its proof to me that it will go back to 2k. Kind of like muscle memory.

So 1k would be a better investment then than even now, imo.
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:34:18 PM

When the crash comes, I think not many in the forum is buying. After going to $2k and crashing to $1k, would you really buy? Everybody is shitless by then. It is completely at the mercy of the new money then.

I think you're not understanding the situation of the average forum-goer.

For me (and I would assume many others on this forum) Bitcoin has made itself the majority of my portfolio.

Considering you are the one that goes on about "80%" investment in Bitcoin, you should understand why I am not inclined to continue buying with fiat beyond 90% (although I have considered it).

As always most of the money coming into the system is not from individuals already on the forum, simply because we do not have much more money to spend in relation to our bitcoin holdings!
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:38:19 PM

For me (and I would assume many others on this forum) Bitcoin has made itself the majority of my portfolio.

Considering you are the one that goes on about "80%" investment in Bitcoin, you should understand why I am not inclined to continue buying with fiat beyond 90% (although I have considered it!).

As always most of the money coming into the system is not from individuals already on the forum, simply because we do not have much more money to spend in relation to our bitcoin holdings!

I agree. The argument that most or a large part of the new money is "additional" investment is probably his weakest argument.

LOOK AROUND - bitcoin news is one of the largest trending financial news story of the last month IN THE WORLD. Yes, the entire world. Probably top 10 financial new stories this last month.

A small % of the 6.5 billion humans on the planet that were not early adopters are investing in bitcoin. That is where the new money is coming from.

More new money is coming in next week by the way. Which is why the market will continue to go up next week too. This is not rocket science guys.

EDIT: by the way, if anyone doubts this obvious reality, check out the original holdings of SecondMarket and compare to their holding now, two months later. Hint, it's up almost 6 fold.
Vycid

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:41:23 PM

Considering you are the one that goes on about "80%" investment in Bitcoin, you should understand why I am not inclined to continue buying with fiat beyond 90% (although I have considered it!).

I agree. The argument that most or a large part of the new money is "additional" investment is probably his weakest argument.

LOOK AROUND - bitcoin news is one of the largest trending financial news story of the last month IN THE WORLD. Yes, the entire world. Probably top 10 financial new stories this last month.

A small % of the 6.5 billion humans on the planet that were not early adopters are investing in bitcoin. That is where the new money is coming from.

More new money is coming in next week by the way. Which is why the market will continue to go up next week too. This is not rocket science guys.

Right. The point has been made - Bitcoin can hit 10k per coin without passing Facebook's market cap.

Ask yourself which one has more potential and you will start to see things a bit more clearly. Everyone understands what Facebook is; not everyone understands what Bitcoin is (or has even heard of it)!

This is changing. Rapidly. Today or tomorrow there will be a big news story about that kid with the "Hi Mom! Send Bitcoin" sign on ESPN game day - and the thousands of dollars that poured in from all over the world from just a QR code on TV.

That will be the first realization for most folks of what Bitcoin is capable of.

Rpietila can afford to sell some coins, because if Bitcoin leaves him behind he has a fucking castle. The rest of us cannot afford to sell.

Mark my words, this is just starting.

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:48:57 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2013, 12:06:28 AM by SheHadMANHands

Right. The point has been made - Bitcoin can hit 10k per coin without passing Facebook's market cap.

Ask yourself which one has more potential and you will start to see things a bit more clearly. Everyone understands what Facebook is; not everyone understands what Bitcoin is (or has even heard of it)!

This is changing. Rapidly. Today or tomorrow there will be a big news story about that kid with the "Hi Mom! Send Bitcoin" sign on ESPN game day - and the thousands of dollars that poured in from all over the world from just a QR code on TV.

That will be the first realization for most folks of what Bitcoin is capable of.

Mark my words, this is just starting.

LOL.. likewise (bold).

Reminds me of back in July.  Me and some old college friends ("brahs") were hanging out in Florida as a sort of reunion.  We're all mid-20s still.  I brought up Bitcoin at one point because I was so enthusiastic and excited about it.  The guys kept fcking with me for it the rest of the trip.  I'm a good sport though, and can laugh at myself..  so it was all in good fun.  Inside though, I knew I'd get the last hearty laugh.    Cheesy

Silence now..  

15x return so far on the "fake money", and no interest in selling.
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:52:38 PM

Are you being serious?  A crash is precisely what 90% of this forum wants.  How many times have I heard people screaming for "cheap coins"?  It's a sign that we all want more coins (faith in BTC's future) but we feel like we didn't quite get enough of them at the price we wanted .. ($0.01)
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:55:06 PM

Are you being serious?  A crash is precisely what 90% of this forum wants.  How many times have I heard people screaming for "cheap coins"?  It's a sign that we all want more coins (faith in BTC's future) but we feel like we didn't quite get enough of them at the price we wanted .. ($0.01)

i choose no sides, but people seem to want a crash to something in the 100's or 200's. at least that's most of what i've seen... which is unreasonable.
seanneko

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:59:09 PM

Ask yourself which one has more potential and you will start to see things a bit more clearly.

So very true. I think this every single time I hear about the "value" of some of these companies.

Instagram was sold not too long ago for many billions of dollars. How the fuck can they possibly expect to turn over a profit? By advertising to 14 year olds who think a grainy photo is cool?

Sometimes I think another dot com bubble is on the way. This is exactly what happened 13-14 years ago - people were throwing insane amounts of money at companies with no real business model (I realise that some bears will probably say the same thing about Bitcoin. It has legitimate potential. So, whatever).

I just hope Bitcoin doesn't get hurt when it all comes down. Maybe the stock market crashing would actually strengthen Bitcoin.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:59:49 PM

My guess is that 90% of that screaming is from internet mouthpieces with no money to buy in the first place. Yes, this is bitcoin, but it is also an internet forum; a locale notoriously full of BS (and thankfully equipped with an ignore button).

Personally, I'm so full I couldn't eat another bite. Well, maybe just one...  Cheesy (picturing Monty Python skit)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:03:49 AM

Vycid

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:08:29 AM

Ask yourself which one has more potential and you will start to see things a bit more clearly.

So very true. I think this every single time I hear about the "value" of some of these companies.

Instagram was sold not too long ago for many billions of dollars. How the fuck can they possibly expect to turn over a profit? By advertising to 14 year olds who think a grainy photo is cool?

Sometimes I think another dot com bubble is on the way. This is exactly what happened 13-14 years ago - people were throwing insane amounts of money at companies with no real business model (I realise that some bears will probably say the same thing about Bitcoin. It has legitimate potential. So, whatever).

I just hope Bitcoin doesn't get hurt when it all comes down. Maybe the stock market crashing would actually strengthen Bitcoin.

Bitcoin doesn't need to turn a profit, though. The model is entirely different. The network just needs to spread in order to increase demand for the currency units. In order to spread, it needs to offer an advantage over traditional systems. And it is unmistakable what is happening.

As has been repeated many times, Bitcoin is subject to a network effect; every new user that enters the network causes an exponential increase in the value of the network. Sooner or later (sooner, at this rate) we will hit a critical point and the true value of the network will exceed the current speculative value.

The growth trend is unmistakable and increasingly unstoppable. More and more people are looking long enough to realize that. The more unstoppable the network growth appears, the higher the speculative value should be.

Oh yeah, and there's a positive feedback loop between speculative value and network growth.

Honey badger don't give a shit.

This is the address of the "Hi Mom" kid, for those curious (vanity address and everything, brilliant). https://blockchain.info/address/1HiMoMgBaAikFHgAt3M4YJtetp4HrnsiXu
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:15:15 AM

I think early 2014 will actually be an exciting time.

Naval (video below) stated that Bitcoin would become more and more relevant to the start up space when the market cap reached the ~$3-5B range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-HZWfxUFw

We've blown through that quickly, and we're now sitting at ~$12B.  I imagine (though I'm far from an insider) things are really developing quickly now in that space.  

When the market cap was $1B, if you were to invest $10M into a Bitcoin startup, you'd want to capture at least 10M/1B (1%) of that market cap as it grows.  Otherwise, you'd be better off simply investing and holding the underlying currency.  With a market cap of $10B, that same investment would only need to capture 0.1% of the growing market cap to be better than purchasing Bitcoin outright.  Clearly added incentive now.

Putting my faith in entrepreneur's in early 2014.    Grin

And the ETF, if we're lucky.   Grin Grin
Vycid

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:18:21 AM

I think early 2014 will actually be an exciting time.

Naval (video below) stated that Bitcoin would become more and more relevant to the start up space when the market cap reached the ~$3-5B range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-HZWfxUFw

We've blown through that quickly, and we're now sitting at ~$12B.  I imagine (though I'm far from an insider) things are really developing quickly now in that space.  

When the market cap was $1B, if you were to invest $10M into a Bitcoin startup, you'd want to capture at least 10M/1B (1%) of that market cap as it grows.  Otherwise, you'd be better off simply investing in the underlying currency.  With a market cap of $10B, that same investment would only need to capture 0.1% of the growing market cap to be better than purchasing Bitcoin outright.  Clearly added incentive now.

This is another good point. Institutional money is coming, and when that hits everything changes.

If you don't recognize Bitcoin crossing $10B as a huge welcome mat for the big money then you're not paying attention.

Don't sell your coins unless it is to get out of debt (the bad kind, not college loans or mortgages).

Oh yeah, and don't invest in mining stocks, because Samsung is probably 6 months away from offering its own product.
Bitcoines

Activity: 591
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:28:01 AM

what would you be able to trade bitcoins for if the dollar/euro crashed first?
or if it gets stronger by that time, would it replace them?
or if its not ready for the colective conciusness would it crash as well?
or what would you be able to trade it for?

btw cant see no big wall, its only day trading, bots and traps atm it seems, looks like it will continue steadly rising .
Vycid

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:31:25 AM

btw cant see no big wall, its only day trading, bots and traps atm it seems, looks like it will continue steadly rising .

I'm going to step away from the uber-bullishness for a minute to say that the dollar/euro aren't going to be immediately swept away by Bitcoin. That simply won't happen.

It's not to say that Bitcoin can't rapidly achieve a trillion-dollar-plus market cap - I believe it can - just that the role of inflationary currencies will continue to be a large and important one for the foreseeable future. Beyond the fact that tax obligations have to be paid in state-issued fiat, banking will be difficult in Bitcoin, and financial markets will certainly not be switching anytime soon - most "wealth" is in equities or derivatives, priced in dollars.

Then there's the fact that oil can only be purchased with dollars.

Gold, silver, and fiat have been coexisting for many years now, and I do not expect Bitcoin will upset that balance. We're looking at a timescale of decades before we can expect fiat to go away.

Frankly, I much prefer it that way. A functional alternative to fiat is actually better than a giant upheaval.

Some people still get the paper in their driveway every morning. And sometimes even I enjoy the experience.
Bitcoines

Activity: 591
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:54:03 AM

I'm going to step away from the uber-bullishness for a minute to say that the dollar/euro aren't going to be immediately swept away by Bitcoin. That simply won't happen.

It's not to say that Bitcoin can't rapidly achieve a trillion-dollar-plus market cap - I believe it can - just that the role of inflationary currencies will continue to be a large and important one for the foreseeable future. Beyond the fact that tax obligations have to be paid in state-issued fiat, banking will be difficult in Bitcoin, and financial markets will certainly not be switching anytime soon - most "wealth" is in equities or derivatives, priced in dollars.

Gold, silver, and fiat have been coexisting for many years now, and I do not expect Bitcoin will upset that balance. We're looking at a timescale of decades before we can expect fiat to go away.

Frankly, I much prefer it that way. A functional alternative to fiat is actually better than a giant upheaval.

Some people still get the paper in their driveway every morning. And sometimes even I enjoy the experience.

I guess i agree with you, you make valid points, and true i prefer it that way as well, i was just thinking it becuase as i see it works kind of like this way the backd up   Gold/Silver --->>> Currencies --->>> Bitcoin value?,   *correct me if im wrong

while the direct backup for bitcoin is the hash number of each?

or am i just tripping
Vycid

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:57:21 AM

I guess i agree with you, you make valid points, and true i prefer it that way as well, i was just thinking it becuase as i see it works kind of like this way the backd up   Gold/Silver --->>> Currencies --->>> Bitcoin value?,   *correct me if im wrong

or am i just tripping

Not really sure what you're talking about.

Nothing is backed by anything but faith these days. Gold is backed exclusively by people who want it. Silver is backed exclusively by people who want it. The dollar is backed exclusively by people who want it. And naturally, Bitcoin is backed exclusively by people who want it. "The Economy" is a collective hallucination.

With that in mind, the people who cry "tulip!" at Bitcoin are really just not thinking very hard about the way the world ticks. Gold is the biggest tulip of all time, and that doesn't keep it from a 7 trillion dollar market cap.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:57:55 AM

I guess i agree with you, you make valid points, and true i prefer it that way as well, i was just thinking it becuase as i see it works kind of like this way the backd up   Gold/Silver --->>> Currencies --->>> Bitcoin value?,   *correct me if im wrong

or am i just tripping

There is no "backing". There is only utility.
Pages: « 1 ... 2591 2592 2593 2594 2595 2596 2597 2598 2599 2600 2601 2602 2603 2604 2605 2606 2607 2608 2609 2610 2611 2612 2613 2614 2615 2616 2617 2618 2619 2620 2621 2622 2623 2624 2625 2626 2627 2628 2629 2630 2631 2632 2633 2634 2635 2636 2637 2638 2639 2640 [2641] 2642 2643 2644 2645 2646 2647 2648 2649 2650 2651 2652 2653 2654 2655 2656 2657 2658 2659 2660 2661 2662 2663 2664 2665 2666 2667 2668 2669 2670 2671 2672 2673 2674 2675 2676 2677 2678 2679 2680 2681 2682 2683 2684 2685 2686 2687 2688 2689 2690 2691 ... 33464 »
  Print  

Jump to: