May 03, 2024, 08:57:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 12320 12321 12322 12323 12324 12325 12326 12327 12328 12329 12330 12331 12332 12333 12334 12335 12336 12337 12338 12339 12340 12341 12342 12343 12344 12345 12346 12347 12348 12349 12350 12351 12352 12353 12354 12355 12356 12357 12358 12359 12360 12361 12362 12363 12364 12365 12366 12367 12368 12369 [12370] 12371 12372 12373 12374 12375 12376 12377 12378 12379 12380 12381 12382 12383 12384 12385 12386 12387 12388 12389 12390 12391 12392 12393 12394 12395 12396 12397 12398 12399 12400 12401 12402 12403 12404 12405 12406 12407 12408 12409 12410 12411 12412 12413 12414 12415 12416 12417 12418 12419 12420 ... 33319 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371577 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 01:17:53 PM

Yeah, Finex seems to lead today's rally! Good to see that happen for a change!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 01:37:10 PM

Yeah, Finex seems to lead today's rally! Good to see that happen for a change!

What rally? I can't see it. Am I going loony?

inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 01:42:31 PM

What worries me the most is that for 95% of all the bitcoin startups, VCs are just throwing huge sums of $$$ at them, but they are all basically creating "solutions looking for problems" instead of solving real needs.  Gee, where have I seen and lived through that before?  Oh yes, the DotComBomb of 2000.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Indeed. But there were a few trillion dollars to be made before it all went tits up and then things really got rolling after the wreckage had been cleared. I hope it doesn't pan out that way but it's kind of a natural cycle.

Believe it or not, one of the companies that I'm most worried about is Coinbase.  

For example, go look at their employee roster page at the bottom.
https://www.coinbase.com/about

In in the past 2 years, I have literally watched that page grow from about 5 employees to what you see now on that page.  And they just keep adding more employees.  At the rate they are going, unless something drastically changes I don't think that they are going to have a business model that will support all of that headcount and still make a profit.

Not wrong, but not the full picture either:

a) true, it might quite well go down in flames, and that early VC capital will be lost like tears in the rain;

b) then again, it's a (controlled) gamble on their side, similar to early dotcom seed/investments: if it pays off, it'll pay off rather royally, if not, it's a (comparably) minor hit to their total holdings. Which brings me to:

c) on a different scale, through a different aspect of the market, that's similar to the "bet" we're making here as well: most who hold some long-term BTC position do so because of the chance (by his/her best judgement) that there's a big unrealized economical potential for the Blockchain (emphasis on the Blockchain), which (again, by his/her best judgement) in turn would likely lead to a major appreciation of market value per token.

The flip side of this bet just as the one by VC: it might not work out that way - alternative blockchains might take the lead, public and business interest might stay comparably small (i.e. "solutions looking for problems" turns out to be true and stay true), etc.

Some people here conveniently ignore the latter point, only going on about the limitless potential. Others pretend there is no potential, only risk, and eventually: doom. Personally, I think it's simply too early to draw either conclusion, 6 years since launch, and ~2 years since VC started pouring in for real.

Nice balanced post as always. Plus marks for the blade runner reference..
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 01:51:33 PM

a) true, it might quite well go down in flames, and that early VC capital will be lost like tears in the rain;

b) then again, it's a (controlled) gamble on their side, similar to early dotcom seed/investments: if it pays off, it'll pay off rather royally, if not, it's a (comparably) minor hit to their total holdings. Which brings me to:

c) on a different scale, through a different aspect of the market, that's similar to the "bet" we're making here as well: most who hold some long-term BTC position do so because of the chance (by his/her best judgement) that there's a big unrealized economical potential for the Blockchain (emphasis on the Blockchain), which (again, by his/her best judgement) in turn would likely lead to a major appreciation of market value per token.

The flip side of this bet just as the one by VC: it might not work out that way - alternative blockchains might take the lead, public and business interest might stay comparably small (i.e. "solutions looking for problems" turns out to be true and stay true), etc.

Some people here conveniently ignore the latter point, only going on about the limitless potential. Others pretend there is no potential, only risk, and eventually: doom. Personally, I think it's simply too early to draw either conclusion, 6 years since launch, and ~2 years since VC started pouring in for real.

But why won't the same people more consistently invest directly in BTC? It wouldn't take much for all those VC investors to prop up the currency/token such that their more indirect investments stands a much better chance of succeeding.

I would guess: because it's VC, not quasi-Forex gambling money. Also, because the market is rather illiquid. Paper profits are extremely far from actually realizable profits at current levels. Finally, they probably do hold some stake in the native tokens. So it's really asking "why won't they prop up price?". Only, why would they?

There is no function the Blockchain would suddenly & magically be able to perform just because total valuation is twice of what  it is now, at least not without public interest growing equally as well. Probably the only thing price affects right now is speculative interest, but I see it as largely unrelated to fundamental growth of the Bitcoin economy, as long as per coin price is high enough to make the network "secure enough" - which it is, despite the sometimes desperate seeming attempts of Sirer, Stolfi et al. to prove otherwise.

Why continue building your position if you're not also working on building the economy that eventually, hopefully, leads to an increase of valuation of position? From that point of view, it makes sense to me that any accumulation that might occur from the VC side would be rather marginal compared to current inflation... Let's say $50M of VC capital are flanked by the same amount of "accumulation effort". At ~$300 per coin, that would have soaked up around 50 days of block reward. So even if it would be on the program (which I doubt, they might be perfectly happy with their position built at vastly lower prices), it wouldn't single-handedly turn the tables on the greater market situation.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 01:54:13 PM

Has anyone stopped to consider that the dollar index is down for two months in a row? What this means is that bitcoin is already in a clear bull market (significantly above the 200 day moving average) in almost every fiat currency other than the USD and currencies that are pegged to the dollar.

Just in case you are wondering why there has been no correction for weeks.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 01:57:59 PM

Coin
Explanation
inca
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:02:45 PM

Has anyone stopped to consider that the dollar index is down for two months in a row? What this means is that bitcoin is already in a clear bull market (significantly above the 200 day moving average) in almost every fiat currency other than the USD and currencies that are pegged to the dollar.

It is far to soon to correlate USD and bitcoin to any meaningful degree. Volume is so low globally we can clearly see individual traders footprints..

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:04:28 PM

What worries me the most is that for 95% of all the bitcoin startups, VCs are just throwing huge sums of $$$ at them, but they are all basically creating "solutions looking for problems" instead of solving real needs.  Gee, where have I seen and lived through that before?  Oh yes, the DotComBomb of 2000.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Indeed. But there were a few trillion dollars to be made before it all went tits up and then things really got rolling after the wreckage had been cleared. I hope it doesn't pan out that way but it's kind of a natural cycle.

Believe it or not, one of the companies that I'm most worried about is Coinbase.  

For example, go look at their employee roster page at the bottom.
https://www.coinbase.com/about

In in the past 2 years, I have literally watched that page grow from about 5 employees to what you see now on that page.  And they just keep adding more employees.  At the rate they are going, unless something drastically changes I don't think that they are going to have a business model that will support all of that headcount and still make a profit.

The potential value of colored coins is limited by the security of the blockchain used. No altcoin can come close to bitcoin, nor can one come close without an investment comparable to bitcoin's current market cap.

The limits of transactions and block size can be overcome with core client changes or even sidechains. Blockchain investment is either bitcoin investment or wasted money.  It may take the Wall Street idiots a while to figure that out.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:08:54 PM

It is far to soon to correlate USD and bitcoin to any meaningful degree. Volume is so low globally we can clearly see individual traders footprints..

We don't know that. It could have already started. Correlation is only clear after the fact. What we do know is that, all things being equal, it should correlate at some point.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:15:51 PM

@bja Sure. That, and a 15 times larger "market cap" than the next biggest crypto competitor (and I use the term "competitor" very loosely here) are pretty clear signs which horse to bet on right now. I'm just mentioning as well that the best horse in the race currently isn't guaranteed to be the historical champion ... hm... I suck at metaphors.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:16:10 PM

We don't know that. It could have already started. Correlation is only clear after the fact. What we do know is that, all things being equal, it should correlate at some point.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:16:58 PM

Anyone else just waiting for a 10k market buy or sell on finex? Smiley
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:18:03 PM

[ ... ] It may take the Wall Street idiots a while to figure that out.
They're no match for a fireman from the sticks, granted. Give them time.

Ad Hominem is a logical fallacy. Points for putting "match"' "sticks" and "fireman" in the same sentence.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:18:08 PM

All things being equal, the price of BTC would drop in other currencies as the dollar weakened if BTC:USD remained constant, so I don't quite understand your comment on how their charts would look more bulish in a weakining dollar scenario (talking purely about effect of FX rates here, nothing else)

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:20:21 PM

All things being equal, the price of BTC would drop in other currencies as the dollar weakened if BTC:USD remained constant, so I don't quite understand your comment on how their charts would look more bulish in a weakining dollar scenario (talking purely about effect of FX rates here, nothing else)

The correlation is negative, obviously. Otherwise my argument makes no sense. Dollar down= bitcoin up in other currencies. We need diversification of BTC ownership for stability and the market incentives suggest we'll get (or possibly are getting) a relative boost from outside the U.S.

Bitcoin was designed to be a dollar inflation hedge.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:23:20 PM

The correlation is negative, obviously. Otherwise my argument makes no sense.

The comment makes no sense
Inverse correlation between  $ and BTC price flatters the BTC:USD chart more than that of any other currency as the dollar weakens
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:33:21 PM

Inverse correlation between  $ and BTC price flatters the BTC:USD chart more than that of any other currency as the dollar weakens

My assumption is that BTC:USD is NOT constant, quite the opposite. We're already in a BTC:Euro bull market, for example. I'm basically saying that the market has more upward momentum than the BTC:USD charts are showing. How much more is unknown.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:36:41 PM

I think we move up soon..
sleger

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:38:47 PM

My assumption is that BTC:USD is NOT constant, quite the opposite. We're already in a BTC:Euro bull market, for example. I'm basically saying that the market has more upward momentum than the BTC:USD charts are showing. How much more is unknown.

I am going to join the other posters and agree that your comments do not make any sense.
ricmi

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:39:33 PM

Too bad fireman's bull market* is happening in the middle of a china's stock bubble.

*  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 12320 12321 12322 12323 12324 12325 12326 12327 12328 12329 12330 12331 12332 12333 12334 12335 12336 12337 12338 12339 12340 12341 12342 12343 12344 12345 12346 12347 12348 12349 12350 12351 12352 12353 12354 12355 12356 12357 12358 12359 12360 12361 12362 12363 12364 12365 12366 12367 12368 12369 [12370] 12371 12372 12373 12374 12375 12376 12377 12378 12379 12380 12381 12382 12383 12384 12385 12386 12387 12388 12389 12390 12391 12392 12393 12394 12395 12396 12397 12398 12399 12400 12401 12402 12403 12404 12405 12406 12407 12408 12409 12410 12411 12412 12413 12414 12415 12416 12417 12418 12419 12420 ... 33319 »
  Print  

Jump to: